Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Persian Invasion Complete Edition Released

Default Re: Persian Invasion Complete Edition Released

Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    I can assure you all that the Persian roster is pure fantasy. Might I ask why? You could at least have copied RoP's units to some extent...
    Not once did I take PI to be anything close to historically accurate. I see it as a Classical Greece version of vanilla RTW. That's what it is and it does it well.

If you'd like however, you should make a historical accuracy submod. I would love to see something like this released as the only other mod that depicts the entire Classical (?) Persian empire in a historical light is RoP.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

comrade_general's Avatar 100% Prime Angus Beef

Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    Might I ask why?
    No you may not, but thanks for stopping by.

debux's Avatar Senator

Wow, you got your own thread! Sweet! Congrats man! I really thought PI was dead a long time ago and never gave it much thought, but it's great that the v.1 was achieved! If only Lanjane could see this (one of the nicest modders I've ever known!)..

(Yes CG, you are also on my list )
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

Willowran's Avatar Domesticus

Downloaded, played, game seems sick. +rep and all that. The greek skins especially look amazing. best i've seen in an RTW mod yet.

and, since i'm a dick, some complaints:

1: any chance you might add some uber-elite units to the desert factions? Gerrha has no late game options, and india has a veeeery small roster. any chance of more units in general? It looks like you spent a lot of time on the greeks, but a little less on the other factions...
    2: Might i make a suggestion? The persian empire seems a little...big. Might it be possible to do a "Vanilla RTW" and split persia into 4 factions like RTW did with the romans? Different persian families or something? Personally, i dislike the concept of starting with 90% of the map under my control...game will end too quickly.
    3: I note that some (noteably greek) bodygards come with 108 soldiers per unit (huge scale). Thinking about it from a realistic perspective, isn't that a little much? I mean, especially with chariots and especially with elephants. i'm reminded of broken crescent, playing as the rajputs. i beat the campaign with general-only armies. I know Troy Total War had bodygards in units 15 soldiers only, and they were made rather tanked to make up for it... (just an idea)
    4: bug with the persian spear units (immortals). During combat they will sporadically form a random line and refuse to actually engage their enemies. they will stand there, in their random line, and get chewed to pieces. if you order them to attack the enemy which is currently chewing them, it says they are already engaged. Might be an ai bug?
    5: might i suggest adding "combat bonus in deserts" to a large number of units? i don't even know what it does statistically, in the game, but it seems it would be fitting...

and i will admit i've not even played the campaign yet--i've been too busy playing custom battles.

(am not trying to be rude, just nitpicking. And i am not a modder in any way shape or form, so i have no idea how hard any of this is to do. If it took four years, i shouldn't be inconsiderate.)

speaking of which... @blatta: stop whining. It is unneccesary.

And this is only version 1! Do you have plans for a 2.0?

EDIT: well, the immortals get bows. nevermind, that makes the persians mucho grando betterso.
    Last edited by Willowran; March 12, 2012 at 11:32 PM.

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

yeah, the only viable tactics agains greeks ere, must admit that, are immortal spam + chariots + horse archery, the other troops are useless

but hey, at least this system gave the persians some headache against greek a.i.

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

why do the hoplites hold the spears up on their shoulders like that? Its the first i've seen it...

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Willowran View Post
    why do the hoplites hold the spears up on their shoulders like that? Its the first i've seen it...
    because that's how hoplites hold their spears

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

@debux
    *gasp* debux! Thanks!

@Willowran
    I appreciate the suggestions and enthusiasm, but there will not be a PI 2.0 - The PI is done.
    Oh, and I bet those Immortals had guard mode on at the time.

@ hopit: really? learn something new every day.

@comrade: thats saddening. I have downloaded this and ROP, and i think you guys did a CONSIDERABLY better job with the unit rosters, even if they aren't 100% historically accurate.

Maybe you could open up the mod for others to advance it?
    Last edited by Willowran; March 13, 2012 at 08:40 PM.

Agarastop's Avatar Libertus

I have a problem. If I want to start a campaign and wants to select a Fraction, then the Game crashes, this happens with every Faction. Can someone please help me?

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Agarastop View Post
    I have a problem. If I want to start a campaign and wants to select a Fraction, then the Game crashes, this happens with every Faction. Can someone please help me?
    reinstall mod, if that doesn't work, reinstall game and check is rtw 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Willowran View Post
    Maybe you could open up the mod for others to advance it?
    No, I don't think so. Call me stubborn but I think it's as advanced as it needs to be. The PI is what it is.

Agarastop's Avatar Libertus

reinstall mod, if that doesn't work, reinstall game and check is rtw 1.5
    Thanks for the quick Help. I have reinstalled the game and the mod and i have Version 1.5, but still the same problem.

Hey nice mod but for some it keeps exiting out whenever I load the game i also downloaded the patch to see if that would work but it didn't any suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopit View Post
    because that's how hoplites hold their spears

Quote Originally Posted by comrade_general View Post
    No, I don't think so. Call me stubborn but I think it's as advanced as it needs to be. The PI is what it is.
    It really really needs a bit "advancement " . If someone wants to help why not ?

Evalation's Avatar Centenarius

Thanks for the patch comrade, im redownloading

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Mind View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    An 8 foot spear held underarm like in the video loses all effectiveness at close range. Is it possible hoplites used both underarm and overarm techniques? Maybe, since an 8 foot spear is pretty flexible and maneuverable. Not sure what scholarship says about this, nor am I aware of any primary source literature on this topic. But overarm was definitely a norm:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Also, remember hoplites were shielded by the hoplon, grieves, cuirass or linothorax and helmet. From my readings I recall that in a melee, hoplites targeted their foes' thighs, which were unprotected. The hydria further supports this idea... note how their spears are angled in the direction of their lower bodies.
    Last edited by atheniandp; March 15, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

edit: comrade_general realizes this was a little over the top

Quote Originally Posted by atheniandp View Post
    An 8 foot spear held underarm like in the video loses all effectiveness at close range. Is it possible hoplites used both underarm and overarm techniques? Maybe, since an 8 foot spear is pretty flexible and maneuverable. Not sure what scholarship says about this, nor am I aware of any primary source literature on this topic. But overarm was definitely a norm:

Also, remember hoplites were shielded by the hoplon, grieves, cuirass or linothorax and helmet. From my readings I recall that in a melee, hoplites targeted their foes' thighs, which were unprotected. The hydria further supports this idea... note how their spears are angled in the direction of their lower bodies.
    I agree that they probably use the both but mostly underarm .
    And don't forget those paintings are made by ARTIST'S
    What the hell it does not. You people are unbelievable, can't you just accept a mod for what it is???
    Cause it has a great potential , and it's a shame to be wasted .

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Mind View Post
    Cause it has a great potential, and it's a shame to be wasted.
    The potential has been fully realized, and people are happy with it. You are the exception, so why don't you go troll someone else...