Thread: unlocking vanilla units

Default unlocking vanilla units

I hope this is the right forum. How do I unlock a vanilla unit? I want to unlock
    Inf_Light_Lombardy-Cisalpine_Legion and the Italian guard horse artilery. I also want to use a vanilla icon ion a mod. Can someone advise please?
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: unlocking vanilla units

At the very list, it's not where it should be... Doesn't seem sound related.

What do you mean by "unlocking"? Make it available in battles? In the European campaign?

1) unit_to_exclusive_factions permission:
    add something like
    Inf_Light_Lombardy-Cisalpine_Legion France True (currently you'll find a line only for ita_French_Republic, meaning it can be recruited only by the French faction from the italian campaign, you need to make it available to the normal French faction).

2) uniform_table
    Find the line for Inf_Light_Lombardy-Cisalpine_Legion and ita_French_Republic. Make a copy for France.
    If you don't do this, the unit will be there, but with placeholder graphics from ETW.

3) uniform_faction_colours table
    Find the line for Inf_Light_Lombardy-Cisalpine_Legion and ita_French_Republic. Make a copy for France

This is sufficient to have it in the campaign.

For the custom battle, check in units_table the availabilty (Late Availability must be true).

For the icon, please be more specific. what do you want to do exactly?

Steph
    So do this using PFM going into the CA patch2.pack? I am afraid to mess with a CA file. This will not cause a crash?
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Never change a CA file.
    Open it. select the table you want to edit, right click and select "extract selected file"
    Create a new mod pack (empty one)
    Right click, select "add file", and then find the file you extracted before and add it.
    Now you can edit.
    From there, you have two options:
    - Keep the name of the table, and it will OVERWRIGHT the file from CA.
    - Rename the name of the table, and it will MODIFY the file from CA.

An example:
    Export unit_to_exclusive_factions permission, create your pack import it.
    Now, if you delete all the lines from this table, and add only
    Inf_Light_Lombardy-Cisalpine_Legion France True

(it's the only line), and do not rename the table, then when you start, no faction will be able to recruit anything, except France that will be able to recruit this cisalpine legion only... That's obviously not what you want.

But if you rename the table to MyMod_unit_to_exclusive_factions permission, then the engine will look for the normal unit_to_exclusive_factions permission, and load all the units from it, and then look for a "modification" table in your pack. In this case, it will just add Inf_Light_Lombardy-Cisalpine_Legion to France.

And if in your renamed table you have two lines
    Inf_Light_Lombardy-Cisalpine_Legion France True
    Inf_Cav_gren_French_Grenadier France False

Then you will add the cisalpine legion to France, AND remove the grenadier.

Very explanatory, thank you very much Steph.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    At the very list, it's not where it should be... Doesn't seem sound related.

What do you mean by "unlocking"? Make it available in battles? In the European campaign?

1) unit_to_exclusive_factions permission:
    add something like
    Inf_Light_Lombardy-Cisalpine_Legion France True (currently you'll find a line only for ita_French_Republic, meaning it can be recruited only by the French faction from the italian campaign, you need to make it available to the normal French faction).

2) uniform_table
    Find the line for Inf_Light_Lombardy-Cisalpine_Legion and ita_French_Republic. Make a copy for France.
    If you don't do this, the unit will be there, but with placeholder graphics from ETW.

3) uniform_faction_colours table
    Find the line for Inf_Light_Lombardy-Cisalpine_Legion and ita_French_Republic. Make a copy for France

This is sufficient to have it in the campaign.

For the custom battle, check in units_table the availabilty (Late Availability must be true).

For the icon, please be more specific. what do you want to do exactly?

Hi!

I follow all these steps, however in Egypt campaign for Britain, I can only recruit lines and light dragoons!... The units I add appear in buildings list, but they not available in game ... I play with LME mod!

Thanks