Thread: Multy AI system?

Fettel88's Avatar Foederatus

Default Multy AI system?

Hi everyone. I came here looking for an improved AI. There is no doubt that an improved AI is a big step to improve the gaming experience but.... I was wondering if anyone thought that better than a good AI are many AI with Different Levels of smartness. These levels would be related to the command level.

For example a general with 1-3 command stars would have a pretty stupid AI compared to the original AI you developed, unable to carry out the smartest and complex maneuvers and often making mistakes like leaving the flank uncover prematurely charging and other mistakes. A general with 4-6 command stars will have a considerable aptitude for command, and the AI should be defined by the AI you developed. (And because the most generals are between these commands attribute.)
    And last, generals with more than 6 command stars would have the best AI you can develop able to outsmart players in any movement like a calculator. Should be able to reflect the genius of the true master’s of warfare. Even preparing ambushes that the others AI’s would not be able to perform in places that the player certainly going to through.

Another way is to set several AI randomly in the different characters so the player does not know what to expect from the enemy generals. Maybe he will be a fool, maybe a genius. But if he crushes you in the battlefield you better not forget him for the next battle. The point is to humanize the AI in the same way that you can face people in multiplayer. Some of them will be foolish and others will be masters. You better try to assassinate the master’s ones. Also this could change the personality of the faction according to the current faction leader. The faction could be more aggressive or diplomatic or uses more agents if he is evil or less if he is honorable.

Anyway no matter how good it is the AI If not vary it will becomes repetitive and boring soon or later, Also predictable. That’s why it needs a multi AI system. To humanize the experience.
    Last edited by Fettel88; February 29, 2012 at 04:54 PM.

Germanicu5's Avatar Will buy spare time...

Default Re: Multy AI system?

I agree that AI behaviour should vary, that's why BattleAI Switcher was introduced, but I've always been hestitant to decrease AI performance substantially when randomising files as it'd somehow nullify my efforts of creating optimal settings.

You also need to remember that AI modders don't have access to all the complicated internal AI code, we were just given access to some of the mechanics by CA (no wonder, thay probably never thought people would be qualified to do professional AI modding), the rest is hardcoded.

Ofc I was able to change many unreachable aspects of gameplay by scripting, but I can't change some crucial bahaviour parameters. Even if I could influence now hardcoded AI code, it's not so certain I'd be able to make it much better.

The point is that current AI would need to be taken as a base for "best" behaviour and then every other behaviour would decrease its performance, which isn't so good for gameplay.

Now tha most crucial thing - AI behaviour as per general can't be varied enough to emulate some target performance level with use of existing ingame mechanics (not entirely true, it depends on what's deemed "enough" and how it influences AI performance, it's not enough for me at least).

So, after saying all that, I can also say you can expect nearly infinite customisation possibilities with RBAI 6.0.

Regards
    I have no memory of this place.

Default Re: Multy AI system?

thats really wonderful to read . anyway there is a way to improve the 3 commands for reinforcement armies or change how reinforcement army of player will fight more directly? like choose a prefered formation prior the battle ,etc