Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: You know this. Youve seen this. But here it is again.

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Citizen

Default You know this. Youve seen this. But here it is again.

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

Default Re: You know this. Youve seen this. But here it is again.

That second vid is even better than the first one. Especially from about 5 mins and on he really starts picking up steam and hammering out arguments against EA.

Eikki's Avatar Centenarius

Yes we know Totalbiscuit is boycotting ME3 due to day 1 DLC. Some of us also know now after the latest leak that the endings for the game come in varying degrees of terrible...It wont change bioware, just as DA2 didnt teach them anything. Whats your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Eikki View Post
    Yes we know Totalbiscuit is boycotting ME3 due to day 1 DLC. Some of us also know now after the latest leak that the endings for the game come in varying degrees of terrible...It wont change bioware, just as DA2 didnt teach them anything. Whats your point?
    What's your point?

Bioware has ditched everything that made it good, shown its fans a big middle finger and nothing is going to change that.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

ITT TotalHalibut who gives a detailed explanation about why he'll boycott ME3.
    And Eikki, the guy who's been going around posting rumours and calling people biodrones.

Anyone see the difference?

(Oh and I bet, if the rumours are revealed to be true, he'll gloat over it. Ignoring the actual point most make which is not that Bioware is all nice and dandy and can do no wrong, but that rumours are to base an opinion on, especially when coupled with a fun little insulting generalisation towards everyone with a different opinion)
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Manco View Post
    ITT TotalHalibut who gives a detailed explanation about why he'll boycott ME3.
    And Eikki, the guy who's been going around posting rumours and calling people biodrones.

Anyone see the difference?

(Oh and I bet, if the rumours are revealed to be true, he'll gloat over it. Ignoring the actual point most make which is not that Bioware is all nice and dandy and can do no wrong, but that rumours are to base an opinion on, especially when coupled with a fun little insulting generalisation towards everyone with a different opinion)
    They are true, and if they are proven to be wrong I shall change my name to BIODRONE001, I promise.

Tribunus

I'm a proud biodrone.

TB pretty much covers all of the points in that graph in his second vid, Gaidin.

Caelifer_1991's Avatar Vicarius

Your point is fine Gaidin so long as that DLC isn't a central part of the story such that everyone that buys the Core game isn't actually getting a full and complete ending to the story as ME3 is intended. If the DLC is not central to the story (Prothean lore included) then I don't mind it and won't boycott it, if it is, then I won't buy it until it's £10-15 or so, as opposed to on release. That business model is fine and all but if major content is not included in the base game, be it because it is part of a DLC or otherwise, then that irrespectively reduces the value of the game to me, and thus what I am willing to pay for it. That basically makes me a defacto part of the boycott depending on what the DLC actually is even if I didn't know that there was a boycott at all.
    Last edited by Caelifer_1991; February 29, 2012 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eikki View Post
    They are true, and if they are proven to be wrong I shall change my name to BIODRONE001, I promise.
    It's impossible to know if they're true until we've seen the vids in actual context.
    And I really love how you completely miss the point in the exact same way I just predicted you would miss the point.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    TB pretty much covers all of the points in that graph in his second vid, Gaidin.
    Something is very much rotten when the given excuse is otherwise having to lay off (parts of) the team that just made you a multi-million dollar profit game. That's the kind of unhealthy business-culture that will make publishers, as they are now, a thing of the past with increasing digital distribution.

Tribunus

Also, in so far as lacklustre endings, it is the journey that is significant.

Also, in so far as lacklustre endings, it is the journey that is significant.
    I disagree, the incredibly retarded ending to the Battlestar Galactica series ruined it for me (yeah, tv as opposed to games, same principle though).

Quote Originally Posted by Caelifer_1991 View Post
    Your point is fine Gaidin so long as that DLC isn't a central part of the story such that everyone that buys the Core game isn't actually getting a full and complete ending to the story as ME3 is intended. If the DLC is not central to the story (Prothean lore included) then I don't mind it and won't boycott it, if it is, then I won't buy it until it's £10-15 or so, as opposed to on release. That business model is fine and all but if major content is not included in the base game, be it because it is part of a DLC or otherwise, then that irrespectively reduces the value of the game to me, and thus what I am willing to pay for it. That basically makes me a defacto part of the boycott depending on what the DLC actually is even if I didn't know that there was a boycott at all.
    I went over the ways the Prothean would have to be incorporated so as to be a main part of the story in the other thread. Go read it. As it is, Shephard finds him on a planet while he's in stasis. He was never a main part of the story. If he was, it's something that probably would've been found in the first game, you know, when archeologists found the artifact. It also doesn't help make your disappointment sensible that that everything points to him being a prothean grunt instead of one of their all-important scientists. If rumors are true, the guy doesn't have the ability to be a central part of the story, no more so than the two DLC characters of Mass Effect 2. They're another gun on Shephard's team, and they have their cool story, but not much else.

Something is very much rotten when the given excuse is otherwise having to lay off (parts of) the team that just made you a multi-million dollar profit game. That's the kind of unhealthy business-culture that will make publishers, as they are now, a thing of the past with increasing digital distribution.
    The game industry is probably the most contract driven programming industry in the world. It has about the same job security as the movie industry. If you're not working on a project for the company they're not going to keep you around. If you're done with your current project, but they have another project that can use more manpower, they're going to move you. And it's not just EA that's like this. Also, I like how you guys focused on 'laid-off' and totally missed the 'moved on to other projects' and are trying to build it into some outrageous business-culture thing. Bravo. Best strawman of the point ever. Let you attack the company instead of the model in a hilarious ad hominem.
    Last edited by Gaidin; February 29, 2012 at 06:47 AM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

I went over the ways the Prothean would have to be incorporated so as to be a main part of the story in the other thread. Go read it. As it is, Shephard finds him on a planet while he's in stasis. He was never a main part of the story. If he was, it's something that probably would've been found in the first game, you know, when archeologists found the artifact. It also doesn't help make your disappointment sensible that that everything points to him being a prothean grunt instead of one of their all-important scientists. If rumors are true, the guy doesn't have the ability to be a central part of the story, no more so than the two DLC characters of Mass Effect 2. They're another gun on Shephard's team, and they have their cool story, but not much else
    If all that is the case and there's not some epic story arc to do with the Protheans that's not included in the core game, then I don't have a problem with the DLC. Also, which other thread are you talking about? If you mean the main Mass Effect 3 thread I'll need a page/ post number.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    The game industry is probably the most contract driven programming industry in the world. It has about the same job security as the movie industry. If you're not working on a project for the company they're not going to keep you around. If you're done with your current project, but they have another project that can use more manpower, they're going to move you. And it's not just EA that's like this.
    And that's not rotten how exactly?
    Just by saying another industry is just as bad, you're not actually making a point. Especially when the two industries are faced with very different realities. A film needs a publisher to get into theatres, a game does not necessarily need a publisher which is hardly something I just made up as alternative business models have in fact been talked about ad nauseam the last couple of years.
    Also, I like how you guys focused on 'laid-off' and totally missed the 'moved on to other projects' and are trying to build it into some outrageous business-culture thing. Bravo. Best strawman of the point ever. Let you attack the company instead of the model in a hilarious ad hominem.
    ignoring how my post was a direct reply to The Dude's mentioning of TotalBiscuit's video where he cites an example and is ultimately about the general practice, and not EA or Bioware's handling of ME3 in general.

So euh, drop the combative tone because you're getting to be about as bad as the people moaning about biodrones.

And that's not rotten how exactly?
    Just by saying another industry is just as bad, you're not actually making a point. Especially when the two industries are faced with very different realities. A film needs a publisher to get into theatres, a game does not necessarily need a publisher which is hardly something I just made up as alternative business models have in fact been talked about ad nauseam the last couple of years.
    Now you're talking about different types of games. Most games don't need that publisher. When you start getting into something the scale of Mass Effect, with the high end voice actors, the style of story, the high end universe that actually needs a writer. They need more money to make it a reality. Enter publisher.

Also, I didn't say an industry is just as bad. I said it was similar and I made no implication about good or bad. I have no problem with the game industry being this way because they're not making something absolutely necessary for functional society. From a programming standpoint, this would mean they're not designing and running the database that secures your records for the hospital, or they're not designing and securing the network your bank uses for transactions.

As a fundamentally entertainment driven industry, the game industry will always be fairly shameless about if your current project is over, they're going to move you to another one or they're going to let you go.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

totalbiscuitdrones in this thread
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    totalbiscuitdrones in this thread
    Because people happen to agree with points he's made?

Mass Effect 3 is ~40 hours of content.
    Mass Effect 3 is $60.

That's $1.50/hour of entertainment (which is already a bit steep, compared to say, Skyrim which offers several hundred hours for a similar price.)

At that price ratio, the DLC, which is $10, should offer close to 7 hours of content and entertainment. And if it did offer that much, I would be more than willing to pay for it.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast