Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Default Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

http://www.baldursgate.com/

Hopefully this means a new game that does not suck.
    Last edited by Kanaric; March 17, 2012 at 09:21 PM.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Default Re: Baldur's Gate site is back up

Dark Alliance isn't Baldur's Gate. Fact of life, there is no Baldur's Gate after Throne of Bhaal.

Especially with that music playing and those pictures in the background. The sheer nostalgia of that music. God it's been 14 years since I first heard it.
    Last edited by Gaidin; February 28, 2012 at 07:30 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Oh my who knows. Doesn't Atari own the rights to D&D video games though? That's never good.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

I wish they leave the BG saga alone. It's damn near perfect as it is.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Quote Originally Posted by Sourcecode at BaldursGate.com

<!-- February 28, 2012 -->
    <!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->

<!-- For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory. -->

<!-- And then... it returned. Better than it was before. -->

<!-- Pore over the tapestries and works of art hanging from our walls if you wish, Child of Bhaal... perhaps you will find a clue. But patience, ah... patience would reveal it all. -->
    Supposedly this will be developed by Beamdog, led by Trent Oster who worked on the original Baldurs Gate game, and was lead designer for Neverwinter nights (the first one, the good one).

florin87's Avatar Campidoctor

the original NWN was the worst in the series imho. still there is no accounting for taste.

i would be thrilled if they made a new BG game, as long as it's free of EA's corrupting tendrils, and as difficult and complex as the first games.

Basarabia is Romanian!

The series?
    Do you count NWN as part of the Baldurs Gate series?
    I must say, it's still to this day my favorite game, and by far the game I've spend the most time on. And probably still is the game that steals most time from me.

Single player, I'll agree NWN might not be top of the line, but the multiplayer, PW's is simply an experience I haven't seen any other game being able to offer.

lol at the page source.

<!-- February 29, 2012 -->
    <!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->

<!-- Take heart fellow adventurers, for you have curried the favor of Boo, the only miniature giant space hamster in the Realm! -->

florin87's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by PerXX View Post
    The series?
    Do you count NWN as part of the Baldurs Gate series?
    what? nooo. i was talking about the NWN series. anyway forget it.

Basarabia is Romanian!

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Even singleplayer Neverwinter Nights is better than most games if you look further than just the few campaigns Bioware made themselves. I am pretty sure theres even singleplayer NWN modules that remade Baldur's Gate. Including musics, similar art, the same ruleset, etc.

Theres thousands of modules to be downloaded for NWN singleplayer and many are of great quality, made and reviewed by players. Unless you are that fond of the limited voice acting of the main campaign I dont see reason to disregard all that content, a lot of it is way better than Biowares campaign which they had far less time for to create since they also had to develop all the tools.

Hopefully a reboot of some worth ala XCOM. Never liked NWN it was just Diablo with some AD&D thrown in for me.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

LSJ's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I love the play style of the infinity engine - it's more like D&D, and Baldur's Gate I&II are the best fantasy adventure games I have ever played.

Dragon Age, while entertaining, was missing the large world adventure of Baldur's Gate. It was too narrow with nowhere interesting to go that wasn't tied to the main story. It has the same problem as Icewind Dale I&II.

Skyrim let me go wherever I wanted for the sake of adventure, but apart from the towns, its locations were too generic. All the dungeons and forts, even those related to a quest, were basically copypasta with generic necro, Imperial, or bandit gangs inside. Any bit of a story is just there to lead you on a one minute trek to an item.

Whereas the locations in Baldurs Gate were lovingly created, all original with specific purposes. Like Durlag's tower, Watcher's keep, the gnoll stronghold, druid's grove, Firewine bridge, illithid base in the sewer, Unseeing Eye cult... all had their own unique feel and story.

I would love a game like Baldur's Gate, even if the graphics were severely outdated. Graphics is what you improve to make a game better. You have to have the plot, gameplay, and feel first.

Saayd's Avatar Foederatus

Seems to good to be true. I'm not sure contemporary Bioware can really pull this off.

Well we'll find out soon enough what with that new countdown timer on the site.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Bioware pretty much lost all the talent they had working on the old games already so I think not even Bioware could make a succesfull new baldur's gate unless its a graphical update of the original games.

'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

If they ruin this, I will hunt them down and castrate them.

If they don't, I need Planescape:Torment with fancy graphics! (but don't you dare touch the storyline!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    http://www.baldursgate.com/

Hopefully this means a new game that does not suck.
    As I understand it, it's actually Baldur's Gate I and II (with all expansions) being overhauled to a new engine and so on. Not new BG-titles, the same games but with a new face. Hopefully it'll be mod-friendly just as the original games was because those had some seriously good NPC-packs like Kelsey, Xan and Valen.

As for Bioware making a new title based on baldur's gate...well they'd have to buy the rights for it from Atari first.

This makes we want to reinstall BG.

Anyone remember what that huge modpack was called that had TUTU (or atleast something similar) and most major mods and characters? I remember it being pretty modular and several GB in size.

Think this might be it. Anyone have any experience with it?
    Last edited by Manco; March 17, 2012 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manco View Post
    This makes we want to reinstall BG.

Anyone remember what that huge modpack was called that had TUTU (or atleast something similar) and most major mods and characters? I remember it being pretty modular and several GB in size.

Think this might be it. Anyone have any experience with it?
    Let's see...a few good ones...

Tashia NPC
    Kelsey NPC (must have imo)
    Xan NPC (must have imo)
    Valen NPC (who doesn't want a murderous vampire in their party?)
    Solaufein NPC
    Nalia De'Arnise romance pack (improves Nalia's character a lot)
    Then you also have the Saerileth NPC pack if you want to romance a 15 year old paladin who talks in 'ye olde english.

Then you've got the overhauls like BG1-Tutu as you mentioned which is basically the remake of BG1 and its expansion to the BG2 Infinity engine. Haven't played it myself but I'm thinking of getting it.

You can find BG1 Tutu here:
    http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/ind...=143&Itemid=98

Download links are to the right if you're confused about the site
    Last edited by Vhaelor; March 17, 2012 at 09:53 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast