Thread: My proposal for accurate Faction Scotland

djmarkydee's Avatar Civis

Default My proposal for accurate Faction Scotland

Scotland 1301-1453

A proposal for the scottish faction compiled by djmarkydee1981 for use in the Patria Libera XIV mod.

Scottish Coat of Arms

My proposal for accurate faction Symbol

or,

i quickly put these together, i will make them better quality if chosen

Proposed introduction to Scottish Campaign

In 1296 Scotland had been conquered. Beneath the surface there were deep resentments. Many of the Scots nobles were imprisoned, they were punitively taxed and expected to serve King Edward I in his military campaigns against France.
    The flames of revolt spread across Scotland. In May 1297 Wallace slew William Heselrig, the English Sheriff of Lanark. Soon his rising gained momentum, as men "oppressed by the burden of servitude under the intolerable rule of English domination" joined him "like a swarm of bees".
    On 11th September Wallace and Murray achieved a stunning victory at the Battle of Stirling Bridge. The English left with 5,000 dead on the field, including their despised treasurer, Hugh Cressingham, whose flayed skin was taken as a trophy of victory and to make a belt for Wallace's sword. The Scots suffered one significant casualty, Andrew Murray, who was badly wounded and died two months later.
    "Commander of the Army of the Kingdom of Scotland" – the outlaw Wallace was now knighted and made Guardian of Scotland in Balliol's name at the forest kirk, at either Selkirk or Carluke.
    Diplomacy was crucial to the Scots war effort and Wallace, by now a renowned figure across Europe, played a high profile role. In 1299 he left Scotland for the court of King Philip IV of France. He was briefly imprisoned for various political motives, but was soon released and given the French king's safe conduct to the papal court. Wallace returned to Scotland in 1301, with the diplomatic effort seemingly in good stead.

I feel within the timeframe of the mod this would make the best introduction to give a feel of the political situation of scotland in actual fact france went onto abandon scotland and in 1304 Scottish leaders capitulated and recognised Edward as overlord in 1304. Only Wallace refused to submit, perhaps signing his own death warrant at this time.

Proposed Generals and lineage for scotland

Robert Bruce, 5th Lord of Annandale
    William Walluce (Gaurdian of Scotland) 1296 -1306

note there is no king of scotland in 1301

Margaret the Maid of Norway 1286–1290 died age 7 leaving no aire, the throne was disputed until 1306 when robert bruce was declared king.
    The house of bruce reigned till 1371 so you could have David Bruce be born on 1324 have him come of age 1340.
    Lineage to 1401 would have Robert 2, 3rd and James the First though James is the house of stuart, James 2, would take us to the timeframe of the mod

Most of scotlands generals therefore should be the Earls of Angus

ROBERT de Umfraville
    GILBERT de Umfraville
    Sir ROBERT de Umfraville
    JOHN Stewart
    THOMAS Stewart
    GEORGE Douglas,
    WILLIAM Douglas

Proposed Scottish Regions

depending on how detailed of course we want the regions to be I suggest we use at least 5 regions

Caithness, Atholl, Lothian, Angus and Strathclyde

1.Caithness, Wick, Castle
    2.Atholl, Perth (Capital), City
    3.Angus, Dundee, City
    4.Strathclyde, Stirling, Castle
    5, Lothian, Edinburgh, City

Well this is my proposed overview of the Scottish faction, if you would like i can go onto make unit and general info cards and banners.

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Default Re: My proposal for accurate Faction Scotland

My suggestion is to put Mel Gibson and Braveheart style aside as far away as possible for William Wallace and army composition. Scotland armies were composed mainly of drafted levies, commoners and militia, wearing the typical yellow dyed gambeson

This picture reflects very well Robert the Bruce and the typical Scots. Just my 2 cent.

djmarkydee's Avatar Civis

i agree +1 rep

yes we know that mate, scottish roster is already done , now were starting work on Kingdom of France

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

So the mod isn't dead?

nope

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Quote Originally Posted by IVIarkI2I View Post
    yes we know that mate, scottish roster is already done , now were starting work on Kingdom of France
    Cmon, don't be shy, we want to see just one teaser