Thread: Greek or hellenic barracks??

magraev's Avatar Biarchus

Default Greek or hellenic barracks??

I've played as Bactria and I have both greek and hellenic barracks. I can see that there is a huge diffence in what troops I can recruit, but I can't build both, so I just have to go with what I'm offered - or what?

It seems one time I went from a lvl 1 greek barracks to a lvl 2 hellenic - losing unit choices in the bargain.

Can someone help me understand this system. I assume aux. barracks function like in XGM, so I can understand that (I hope).

GeoHitmanGR's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Greek or hellenic barracks??

The both Greek and Hellenistic barracks, share the same level 1 barracks (Greek)
    After that, it depends on the city you currently are.
    Hellenistic barracks are usually built in the East, where Greek barracks are build in mainland Greece (and South Italy IIRC)

Total Roach's Avatar Ducenarius

It's a while since I've played XGM, AUX barracks work in the same way I think, but your available level of barracks will depend on your Govt. type, don't remember those being in XGM (it really has been a while!) to get the Aux City Barracks and above you'll need a Regional Allied Tributary or Supervised Native Administration as the Govt building.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Quote Originally Posted by magraev View Post
    I've played as Bactria and I have both greek and hellenic barracks. I can see that there is a huge diffence in what troops I can recruit, but I can't build both, so I just have to go with what I'm offered - or what?

It seems one time I went from a lvl 1 greek barracks to a lvl 2 hellenic - losing unit choices in the bargain.

Can someone help me understand this system. I assume aux. barracks function like in XGM, so I can understand that (I hope).
    Aux barracks works pretty much like in XGM with the only exception that you need to build regional allied tributary in order to get the higher levels.

As for Hellenic and Hellenistic barracks, like GeoHitman said they are controlled by the colony type in the settlement.
    The system is roughly similar to EBs eastern/western greek culture representation, only in this case it's represented by colonies.
    The colony buildings in XC are an abstraction that represents the ethnic and cultural mix of every particular region, allowing you to raise troops from a population or the other.

In this case, hellenic colonies represents a population coming straight (or very closely related to) mainland greece and keeping a pretty traditional cultural imprint that you could find mostly in mediterranean colonies.
    This means literally a population trying to recreate mainland polis life as much as possible and often going as far as claiming to be hailing from its mother city if asked.
    The benefit of this system is that the "hoplite ethos" along with finer things, while of course it brings a certain cultural conservatism meaning less advanced units later on.

Hellenistic on the other side, were greek speaking people but coming from a pretty varied ethnical mix, meaning that strictly mainland greek traditions would escape them but on the other side they were already used to change.

All in all, it tries to represent what ancient rulers had to deal with...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

yeah, but the deal is , in XC : Iphicrateid troops >>> Phalangites (who had only reach advantage, but easily broken and killed)

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

magraev's Avatar Biarchus

Thanks for the explanations. I'll just build what I'm offered I guess. I like the government buildings, but it's just a shame, that the unit browser can't handle all the diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Strategos Lykos View Post
    yeah, but the deal is , in XC : Iphicrateid troops >>> Phalangites (who had only reach advantage, but easily broken and killed)
    That's why I mainly use the heavy petalists as my main group of infantry. They're just as strong as Greek hoplites, except they have armor piercing javelins that they throw first. On top of that they're cheaper than medium phalangites. Their only downside is that they aren't that good at fighting on walls, so you'd have to find some other units to do that for you. Possibly local swordsmen or, if you're playing as Macedon, their heavy swordsmen.

All Hail Alexander The Great.

Can i put the hypaspists to the greek city states?

Total Roach's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by solid_k7 View Post
    Can i put the hypaspists to the greek city states?
    The GCS get them, you just have to wait for the Marian Reforms to happen

ok thanks