Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Speculation over the future

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Default Re: Speculation over the future

I agree with you on that. I prefer to have to build up, and watch the "Big boys" fight for a while, wearing each other out, before I step in and side with one of them and grab a bunch of the other's land.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

I should imagine CA knows quite well the demand for a Rome 2. I should imagine that they are developing it alongside these new titles you are seeing coming out, as they provide a nice stream of revenue to offset development costs of their next big project (that I can only assume is Rome 2).

Quote Originally Posted by Daily View Post
    This would work for a FPS I think but not Total War. We talk about steamrolling in Shogun 2. Imagine when you meet several thousand half naked Zulus, and you have the high ground, and you have rifles... Would look neat for about 5 minutes but then it would just be sad.
    Rifles or no rifles, that is a hell of a lot of Zulu.

Armaments are more or less irrelevant at the end of the day; If you fail to rout the Impi before they get within impaling distance, you are well and truly screwed.

I can definitely see a Rorke's Drift or Isandlwana historical battle being fairly challenging.

Regardless, the Anglo-Zulu War is just an example of the kind of thing Victoria players would be up against.

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Especially one reason why I would not mind a Victoria Toal War, with the new features of trains and steam ships its highly anticipated by myself that it may be the new game.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dakier View Post
    Especially one reason why I would not mind a Victoria Toal War, with the new features of trains and steam ships its highly anticipated by myself that it may be the new game.

Speaking of trains, it would be cool to see the possibility of building rail networks to increase trade in addition to roads and sea routes. Railroad Tycoon 3 meets Total War, ya that's the ticket....

Quote Originally Posted by Jagged_Steel View Post
    Speaking of trains, it would be cool to see the possibility of building rail networks to increase trade in addition to roads and sea routes. Railroad Tycoon 3 meets Total War, ya that's the ticket....
    If CA would ever make a Victorian era game with those features, I don't think I would be ever be to get off a computer ever again....

Pazu the Kitsune's Avatar Shopkeeper

If the next TW game is set in the Victorian era then i REALLY hope theyll include SE Asia (Siam under Rama IV was powerful enough to prevent the europeans from conquering it in her own ways, watch 'Anna and the King' sometime)

"If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,"

-First lines to the poem "If-" (by Rudyard Kipling)

Quote Originally Posted by Aidz View Post

Personally I don't think a WWI game would make much sense on a battle map.
    How are you going to organise battles?
    The entire conflict turned into trench warfare - a stalemate that was only later broken by tanks.
    How are you going to incorporate air strikes? Maybe perform them on the campaign map. Or have flying units in battle? I admit, that would be pretty cool. But it just doesn't feel right. As I said, WWI was fought along trench lines, not open battles of men firing at each other (like US CW). The battles were mass charges at enemy trenches designed to wear the enemy down (war of attrition). Tactical victories involving infantry were rare - and at best only minor skirmishes.

I don't see why TW has to cover the entire history of human warfare - especially if it doesn't work according to the mechanics of the game.
    I beg to differ. If a team of modders can push NTW into the First World War (with the limited tools at their disposal), then CA could almost certainly create a First World War scenario (which should be nothing more than Victoria's finale).

Airstrikes, however primitive, could be handled like naval bombardments à la Fall of the Samurai (which I assume involves General abilities (think "inspire")).
    Last edited by Colonel Dax; February 29, 2012 at 10:11 PM.

They can just make Rome 2 with rail networks. It isn't that much more far fetched than the flaming pigs,screeching women,infinite wardogs, and pink pajama parthians units from the first

On another note, I'm from the US and an American Civil war TW sounds like the most boring concept possible
    Last edited by Kev006; March 01, 2012 at 01:13 PM.

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

For the record I am an American and I would really prefer Rome 2 or Victorian Era to an ACW game. ACW is simply too limited in scope for my tastes. A very interesting war to read about and study but just too limited for a TW imo. I am sure that Rome 2 is already being made by one of the teams and I hope that is the next release but a Victorian Era or the rise of the Mongol Empire would also be great.

Well, it would definately be interesting to see how the game handles very long range artillery, and the development of flight, if indeed it approaches the modern era.

Default Re: Official Announcement - Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai

i think that next game must be a rome focused and based in a concrete periode with a focused campaign and not a generalist campaign.
    is better a shogun based only in japan that a game with a generalist campaign of all asia.
    a totalwar game must have a focused,concrete and concentrate campaign in a historical periode.
    a rome based in the second punic wars with 1 week for turn is great and epic with the a possible alliance of carthage and macedonia kigndom in event.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Punic_War
    with a strategic map:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

and if CA want to continue with the modern epoch,the civil war of america is perfect,but only focused and based in the civil war of america not more territories and countries in the game.
    Last edited by Radzeer; March 01, 2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: pic in spoiler

Caelifer_1991's Avatar Vicarius

This new expansion brings my hopes up that the next game will set in the Victorian age, preferably with a world map or something close to that. I've been waiting for such a thing since I started playing TW games with Rome: TW.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev006 View Post
    They can just make Rome 2 with rail networks. It isn't that much more far fetched than the flaming pigs,screeching women,infinite wardogs, and pink pajama parthians units from the first

On another note, I'm from the US and an American Civil war TW sounds like the most boring concept possible
    Believe it or not, Polyaenus wrote that, at the Siege of Megara in 266 BC, the Megarians used pigs doused in oil or pitch to repel the Macedonian war elephants.

not sure about the american civil war as would the units be diverse enough?

perhaps if CA created all the right companies/battalions etc it could be a great game..and regional unit variations..

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Well, for those who have an interest in other games, Assassin's Creed 3 is featuring the American Revolution.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The American civil war will not happen, jesus christ! It's far too limited and there's minimal ask outside of the USofA for it. Now a Victorian Total War which also features the American Civil War as an event is much more plausible.

I see it now, the two factions fighting it out... both losing against each other as any another solo American war and then my army of British soldiers freshly stocked from Canada come in and destroy them both and reclaim whats rightfully mine!... sounds pretty good to me
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dakier View Post
    I see it now, the two factions fighting it out... both losing against each other as any another solo American war and then my army of British soldiers freshly stocked from Canada come in and destroy them both and reclaim whats rightfully mine!... sounds pretty good to me
    That land belongs to Espain!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Dax View Post
    Believe it or not, Polyaenus wrote that, at the Siege of Megara in 266 BC, the Megarians used pigs doused in oil or pitch to repel the Macedonian war elephants.

Interesting, did they actually send them out and light them up in a herd or did they launch them with catapults or something?

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    That land belongs to Espain!

That land belongs to me.

Anyway, lets not start this here.

Also, @Anibal at portas: I disagree. I think that would be, frankly, terrible. I dont want to be forced to fight historical wars. I want to fight MY wars. That I started. For reasons of my own.

Plus, that's just too small in scope. Im sick of fighting over the same island over and over again. I rarely get past ten turns on my Shogun campaign. I dont think a map of Italy and Spain would be too much better.

Honestly, Im getting pretty bored with Europe too. Maybe an ACW wouldnt be too bad... If you could play as every state, you would have plenty of factions. Diverse factions too! I highly doubt a Texan would fight in the same uniform, or with the same tactics as my native Louisianans. And those two share a border!

Not even to mention all the other nations that could factor into it....
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."