Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Speculation over the future

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Speculation over the future

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Dax View Post
    I would argue that 1850 (just before the start of the Crimean War) would be a better starting date, but regardless, that, to me, seems the ideal time span for a Victoria-esque title.
    I would go with an 1830 start date as there were certainly some very important developments between this point and 1850

Daily's Avatar Flingin' ma mace son
    Content Emeritus

*snip*
    Ahh I love that movie! I remember being in Sydney and seeing this huge painting of this battle. Of course this is the one were the British won. The other one earlier that day or day before cost the British a good amount of troops. 1200 I think. Not sure about Zulu Casualties.

This would work for a FPS I think but not Total War. We talk about steamrolling in Shogun 2. Imagine when you meet several thousand half naked Zulus, and you have the high ground, and you have rifles... Would look neat for about 5 minutes but then it would just be sad.
    Proud patron of Confederate Jeb and FalconPilot
    View how Grouchy makes a Hoplon shield!

captcruch's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by tlatoani View Post
    Well that's because you're an American living in another country, otherwise the ACW seems like an extremely boring scenario for a total war.

Are you serious ?????? more boring ........... .... ... ..... then Shogun 2 or Fall of the Cauldron

If the Yankees dare set foot in Virginia,we must show them bayonet .

Lionheart11's Avatar Senator

Meh zulu too small and more limited than STW, throwing spear units only.

I would argue that 1850 (just before the start of the Crimean War) would be a better starting date, but regardless, that, to me, seems the ideal time span for a Victoria-esque title.
    Yeah exact starting dates can always differ, but it would be pretty cool to alter which nations get the industrial edge, or radically change foreign policy. In addition to the Boer conquering Britain, other fun historical quests I'd like to do would be USA conquering Canada, or a lone star Texas becoming warlord of Mexico. Or a World War I between China, Turkey, and Poland vs Germany France and Egypt. Just general weird stuff like that would appeal to me.

As I said, a Total War is much more exciting to me when i understand the history. For example, I really got more intelectual pleasure out of the historical absurdities i perpetrated in M2 rather than Shogun 2, because i understand European history much better.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Thefallenhun View Post
    Yeah exact starting dates can always differ, but it would be pretty cool to alter which nations get the industrial edge, or radically change foreign policy. In addition to the Boer conquering Britain, other fun historical quests I'd like to do would be USA conquering Canada, or a lone star Texas becoming warlord of Mexico. Or a World War I between China, Turkey, and Poland vs Germany France and Egypt. Just general weird stuff like that would appeal to me.

As I said, a Total War is much more exciting to me when i understand the history. For example, I really got more intelectual pleasure out of the historical absurdities i perpetrated in M2 rather than Shogun 2, because i understand European history much better.

This is getting me all excited over a hypothetical game!!!!

We should all just stop talking about it, that way we wont be disappointed if they dont make it.

Seriously though, I would love to have China in a Total War game. I dont know a whole lot about Chinease history, but I love the whole "Giant eastern faction" Thing. Thats what I loved about the Mongols in M2 because when they showed up, everyone had to work together to not die. I think if China invaded Europe (In a Total War game) it would force all the factions to work together to fight them off.

Plus, China has tassles. Glorious tassles.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    This is getting me all excited over a hypothetical game!!!!

We should all just stop talking about it, that way we wont be disappointed if they dont make it.

Seriously though, I would love to have China in a Total War game. I dont know a whole lot about Chinease history, but I love the whole "Giant eastern faction" Thing. Thats what I loved about the Mongols in M2 because when they showed up, everyone had to work together to not die. I think if China invaded Europe (In a Total War game) it would force all the factions to work together to fight them off.

Plus, China has tassles. Glorious tassles.
    Yeah TW has stayed away from China, though I think some mods have explored it. My understanding of pre 20th century chinese history is pretty bad (disgraceful, considering I lived in China for 7 years), I mostly only know about WWII-->Rise of the Communist Party. However, I think in a victorian era they were pretty much under the thumb of the british, and their armies would be absolutely crushed by any professional army with firearms. I think the Manchu were in control at this point, but no firearms or anything in their millitary. Still, it might be interesting to see it as an ETW style colony that could possibly become independent.

That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

I would still like to play as them. I liked playing as the Native Americans/ Indians in Empire, even though they were at a disadvantage.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

I would still like to play as them. I liked playing as the Native Americans/ Indians in Empire, even though they were at a disadvantage.
    I would like to see it balanced so that real world faction data is actually really relevant to campaign difficulty. In most total wars you can easily take factions that never would have had a chance, and conquer the world with them. I'd like to see some of the vanilla campaigns balanced so that certain factions require extraordinary luck and political maneuvering to give you that big break to change history.

I would have to agree. Population also needs to be more important. Like in Rome, I ran out of population if my armies were too big. To a lesser extent, I did in M2 aswell. I didnt know that even happened in Emipre until I made a 1000 man unit and recruited a whole bunch of them.

I would have to agree. Population also needs to be more important. Like in Rome, I ran out of population if my armies were too big. To a lesser extent, I did in M2 aswell. I didnt know that even happened in Emipre until I made a 1000 man unit and recruited a whole bunch of them.
    Really? I never noticed that population numbers actually decreased with units in M2... (or am I coming to the wrong conclusion?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

Dont they? I would have to check. The way they limit the amount of troops you can recruit at any one time would probably allow the population to re-fill enough to where you would never notice. At least, that's what I always thought.

I actually have never run out of population in M2. Hmm.

Yeah tw millitary recruitment is unrealistic, no distinction between peacetime and wartime, levy and professional

Quote Originally Posted by Thefallenhun View Post
    Yeah tw millitary recruitment is unrealistic, no distinction between peacetime and wartime, levy and professional
    What do you mean? With regards to recruitment, aside from the obvious cost/maintain difference, it even takes longer to recruit more professional troops... Unless you were just talking about Med? In which case yeah, the recruitment didn't really make that distinction BUT I found that to be better, considering that, as King (or Emperor, or Duke, or Sultan, or Pope, or my personal favorite, Doge) it was not my job to train them - only to summon them when I needed them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

Exactly. It was the noble lords' job to train my troops for me.

It's kind of like how you dont have to tell your men to draw their swords. They can do that on their own.

No, what I mean is. Say you recruit a unit of Naginata levy. They are a levy, meaning their real job is something else. You can just have them hang out for years and years and years, so long as you pay their salary, never mind that the harvest is going uncollected....

Oh.

I always figured that if you just left them around, they were doing their real job (Farming, etc.) but you could just call them up when you needed to march or fight a battle or something.

Oh.

I always figured that if you just left them around, they were doing their real job (Farming, etc.) but you could just call them up when you needed to march or fight a battle or something.
    You could theoretically march them from London to Krakau and then have them sit out in a field in Munich, and so long as they had a loyal general, there'd be nary a peep.

Yeah, you're right. I dont know how you could fix that though. Maybe by having unrest gradually get worse in the settlement that you recruited them from the longer they stay out of it, but that sounds both difficult to implement, and it would kind of suck.

To really improve the "realism" aspect of the millitary conflict, you'd have to sort of go to the Victoria/europa universalis route, and honestly I think TW games are generally better than those BECAUSE of the real time battles. So maybe small things can be done, but as it stands, its too easy to take a 1 province faction in any TW and conquer the world with it.