Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Speculation over the future

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

Default Re: Speculation over the future

If I had to guess I would say something like this,

lots of explosions and lasers with an economy based on mining splog the most valuable mineral in the universe. You could also have Forts that are solid so no need for battlements or anything silly like that you just blow them up.

Sea warfare could easily be adapted for space with even bigger explosions and lasers did I mention lasers, I think it would be epic. I could go on and on..........and lasers

Really looking forward to Galaxy Total War.

King Gambrinus's Avatar Primicerius

So what would you guys think of Victoria : Total War? That seems like the way CA want to go.
    Fear not, crusader, Prester John will save you from the wrath of the Devil.

Quote Originally Posted by The Illusionist View Post
    So what would you guys think of Victoria : Total War? That seems like the way CA want to go.
    Many people are speculating that, but there has been alot of desire for Rome 2. I mean they have definately been improving the gun mechanics (which were AWFUL in M2 vanilla), and they could do a Victorian period I guess, which would be kind of interesting. You could set into motion the events that could shape the modern era. I would definately love to take an isolationist 19th century America, and do something fun like conquer Australia for no good reason. I think as the games approach the modern era, our own personal connections with them grow.

Honestly I will probably be happy with what ever they make, so long as they let me do my favorite thing; create my own little story for my country and its leaders. When I played MII, I always try to make a little narrative and that brings me closer to the experience. With M2 you had such colorful nobles with all their pecadillos, and I dreamed up all sorts of plots and intrigues, as well as the world's reactions to my country's actions. Anyway, here's to hoping for a good next product.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

The thing is, most of the forumers want more micro-management, to which CA repeatedly said a firm "No."

In a way I agree with them, despite me wishing for more micro-management Hearts of Iron style (not as exhaustive, just a bit more). The more you work on a particular project the less time you give to the other project, no matter how big a studio is.

It's just a trade off that CA has to do, and I honestly hope there's a Medieval 3 over there planned.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

I would honestly be very surprised if they did not return to Rome. Its been in high demand for a while now and its about the right time for this sequel to show up. I would also like to see Medieval return shortly after that, but I would not be upset if I ended up with Victoria total war.

I guess I'll be happy no matter what period they end up making.

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    The thing is, most of the forumers want more micro-management, to which CA repeatedly said a firm "No."

In a way I agree with them, despite me wishing for more micro-management Hearts of Iron style (not as exhaustive, just a bit more). The more you work on a particular project the less time you give to the other project, no matter how big a studio is.

It's just a trade off that CA has to do, and I honestly hope there's a Medieval 3 over there planned.
    More micro is good, but plenty of games have whacky in depth macro, I think what really sets TW products apart from the others is the battles, which unlike say, King Arthur, require quite a bit of skill and presence to succeed in. It creates different playstyles, some people are much more empire building oriented, others prefer to gamble their lives in harrowing battles.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

I think they should only do a 19th century Total War if they can manage to include almost the whole world in it. I wouldnt want to just play on the Empire map with upgraded nations. That would be boring.

Rome would be fine just with a Europe/ North Africa/ Middle East map. That stretches to India.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

I have often seen it repeated on this forum that CA would not release two sequels (major releases) in a row.

This would imply that Rome 2, Med 3 or Empire 2 would not considered for their next major release.

However, is this an actual quote from CA, or just something that has been repeated so many times that it is taken for such?---much like some of the other BS that gets plopped down as fact here--almost every day.
    Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

Honestly, while Victorian TW would be cool, if it was the next release i would be sorely disappointed as 3/4 of the major releases prior to it would have taken place in a similar time frame (Empire, Napoleon, & FotS). At that point I would seriously have to call in to question CAs creative abilities as it would be a simple re-skin and rehash, even with a few new features.

If CA really insisted on still using gunpowder, I'd want more of a Renaissance era game (~14th thru 17th centuries).

Victorian era would be cool. I'd really enjoy having more of Africa than the token trade points in Empire (Boer conflict, Zulu, Matabele, etc).
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

In the future, I imagine all the battles will be fought by robots, and the strategic decisions will be made by self aware robots... so I guess I'll just be staring at the screen sipping coffee approvingly (and throwing wrenches at the enemy robots)...

I dont know WHEN the next TW is going to be. But I think the where will include the European theatre.

The battle engine for Empire was HORRIBLE, I pray they never go to the ACW or back to Empire unless they completely fix it.

I would be happy with Rome 2, 3, 4 and Medevil 3, 4 and 5 lol.

The engine and game just fits those historical periods perfectly.

How would you guys feel about a non-historical total war? Something fantasy or sci fi perhaps.

That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

This engine actually seems to fit ranged conflicts better, in my opinion.

The whole "Duel" thing kind of ruins the melee combat for me. Why can two troops not attack the same guy at the same time?
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    This engine actually seems to fit ranged conflicts better, in my opinion.

The whole "Duel" thing kind of ruins the melee combat for me. Why can two troops not attack the same guy at the same time?

Because such thing is a SHAMEFUR DISPRAY! *ahem* yeah... it is kind of weird to watch sometimes though >.>

I guess it's okay for Japanese combat, but it looked really weird in Empire and NTW.

Gralachthule's Avatar Civis

I really hope CA gets back in time for the Next TW Title. I personally liked both Napoleon and Empire, but I do not want another TW with Muskets/Rifles.

Maybe something in China would work woll, or maybe even Rome 2. I actually think the Warscape Engine manages Melee combat well enough, we do not need a new Engine. If they'd really make a new one, we'd be without a TW for at least 2-3 Years and the first product would most likely have many problems just like Empire . The Graphics in Napoleon and Shogun 2 are still good enough, at least for me .

These are my thoughts exactly. I'm fairly certain that Rome II will come eventually, but based on the progress made in Fall of the Samurai, the Victorian Era/Age of Imperialism looks far more likely (that is my hope, at least).

I can't possibly see CA change core gameplay to such an extent, only to cast it aside and travel back 2,000/1,500/500 years (ie the other proposed sequels (Bronze Age/Hellenistic, Rome II, Medieval III (for some reason))).

The Useless Member's Avatar Primicerius

I was looking for Rome II or a story about Genghis Khan.

I think it is not indication of where they are headed next i just think their experimenting and improving themself. I belive Rome or Medieval is the next game coming out.