Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Fall of the Samurai - Reveal Trailer Part 2

Default Re: Fall of the Samurai - Reveal Trailer Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade_Rory View Post
    So even if you're the most advanced and modern clan in the game, if you take a province with nothing in it... you have to build a 300 year old castle before you can build a modern star fort and then have archers and then matchlock muskets (which is funny, considering matchlocks were outdated even in 1700) to defend it before you can have anything modern?
    That sounds completely stupid if that's the case...
    That does sound strange, but I guess it could represent the time it took to fully modernize certain provinces? Don't know.

I have a feeling the star forts will be a lot better than the ETW ones....
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

May anybody confirm that the torpedoes in this period was working like the torpedoes in the clip?

It's not Hello Kitty. It's Pokemon.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

What might be a better idea is you can't build castles or citadels or whatever, you could only build star forts or wooden forts depending on your tech level.
    I mean... wouldn't a castle have taken decades to build? I hardly see them spend ten years building a castle and then knocking it down to stick a tiny fort in it's place.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade_Rory View Post
    What might be a better idea is you can't build castles or citadels or whatever, you could only build star forts or wooden forts depending on your tech level.
    I mean... wouldn't a castle have taken decades to build? I hardly see them spend ten years building a castle and then knocking it down to stick a tiny fort in it's place.
    I agree it's a little strange having the upgrades to a medieval japanese castle and then suddenly at the top level you get a star fort. Maybe 'castle' and 'stronghold' imply different things than a medieval castle in Fots.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

I think we might be over-thinking it.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

What if they dont knock the castle down to put in the star fort? What if they just make the bottom layer of the castle a star? In fact, can we mod that in if it's not the case? Because that sounds awesome.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Yeah we might be overthinking it but judging how CA do things and that we've seen castles in screenshots... we're probably not far off the truth :p

I think, a good thing they could do would be to add historical castles in any of the provinces that had them, this would make them valuable locations to own for morale and easy defensive reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Hresvelgr View Post
    Did I just hear fife music when some troops were marching (Americans I think) or am I just imagining things? And ramming ftw, yay!
    I thought I heard that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by visser300 View Post
    May anybody confirm that the torpedoes in this period was working like the torpedoes in the clip?
    The first self propelled Torpedo's were invented by the Austro-Hungarians in the mid 1860's. As far as i know "fully" functional ones like the one's shown in the video came around in '69-70. So while a little late for the boshin war, the game's time period does cover their period I believe (It ends in the 1870's right?)

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    '

I'll let Erwin handle this....
    Nah, I'll just past along to a more knowledgable member....

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368025

The wealth of this Kingdoms is so great that there are many mines of silver and copper which have been continuously producing these two metals for many years past, without their ever having become exhausted or less productive, thereby originating such an abundance of these metals as can be seen from this trade in them; and thus the said tonos are so rich that the King or Emperor, in order to prevent them amassing so much wealth as would inevitably fill them with the pride which is usually engendered as a result thereof, often orders them to move their castle-seats from one province to another at their own cost, wherein they spend so much in quarrying the granite-stone from the rocks, that they say it would be cheaper to build their castles of silver.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Hey, thanks Erwin! That was the thing I was looking for.

+ Rep to you, you crazy Japan-fanatic!
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Oh please.... Mark my words, if the next TW is about the Franco Prussian War, I'd start spamming 5 threads a day proclaiming eternal loyalty and fidelity to the pickelhaube. I'm also partial to WWII tanks but for now, TW caters to my other next love............. samurais.

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Rommel View Post
    Nah, I'll just past along to a more knowledgable member....

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368025

Not sure if you know what credible source means. A travel account from a 16th century Portuguese hardly counts as a reliable source as they tended to exaggerate figures to look good in the eyes of their monarchs. Travel accounts in general are full of exaggerations and embellishments. They were sent half way across the world by their monarchs to find riches, none of them wanted to return empty handed. You guys need to take a basic history class that teaches you what a reliable source is, and what isn't. How about you link some modern day links that proclaim Japan is rich in natural resources?

Straight from the US State Department:

"Deposits of gold, magnesium, and silver meet current industrial demands, but Japan is dependent on foreign sources for many of the minerals essential to modern industry. Iron ore, coke, copper, and bauxite must be imported, as must many forest products."

Again, Japan is not considered rich of natural resources, never has, never will. The US did not open up Japan because of its resources, hence the CA guy is wrong. The amount of historical and geographic ignorance is astounding.
    Last edited by Piobmhor; February 24, 2012 at 11:33 PM.

You're stating this by today's standards. A natioin did not require the same resources as it does now.

You're stating this by today's standards. A natioin did not require the same resources as it does now.
    Are you reading my posts? Japan never has been rich of natural resources. The quote Erwin linked is not a reliable source because it is a well known travel account that is known to have been exaggerated to look good in the Monarchs eyes. Secondly, the Boshin period is modern. Japan in 1850 had no abundance of resources needed by other nations or needed to industrialize. They were one of the biggest importers of goods and resources in the 19th century because of their lack of resources. Here comes the main fact that proves the CA guy and you are wrong, the US went to Japan to open a market for their goods - they did not go to Japan for its resources.

There is no point in arguing about this when it is a plain fact. I am a historian, I should know. I also posted a couple of reliable sources regarding Japanese natural resources.
    Last edited by Piobmhor; February 24, 2012 at 11:43 PM.

May you post links to them?

May you post links to them?
    I did in my first one. I don't know why you are arguing about a plain fact?

Here is the link from the State Department:

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/4142.htm

Last suggestion to you, google "Japan natural resources", there are a million web pages proclaiming the plain fact that Japan is not rich in natural resources.

I studied the Boshin period intensively, I should know why the US went to Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Piobmhor View Post
    I studied the Boshin period intensively
    OH OH!! *giddy anticipation*

Its rare to find another one versed in the Boshin War, so.....do you think Sakamoto Ryouma will make an appearance, like some ishin-ishi agent against a shinsengumi agent like Hijiakata Toshizo.....man that would be friggin epic*

Damn, if only there were duel cut scenes.

*then again, all seem excited with foreign agents..

Quote Originally Posted by Piobmhor View Post
    I did in my first one. I don't know why you are arguing about a plain fact?

Here is the link from the State Department:

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/4142.htm

Last suggestion to you, google "Japan natural resources", there are a million web pages proclaiming the plain fact that Japan is not rich in natural resources.

I studied the Boshin period intensively, I should know why the US went to Japan.
    Precisely. As a historian you should know why they went to Japan. CA guy on the other hand is a game programmer, and has no reason to doubt the Portuguese sources (probably where he got his "rich in natural resources" line from.) Remember, he's not rehashing history word for word with 100% accuracy for all of us on our monitors, he's building a game based loosely on a period so in depth research isn't a necessity.

On a side note. Kate the writer - WOW
    Last edited by Lazarus; February 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast