Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tel Aviv Introduces Segregated Kindergartens

Slydessertfox's Avatar Vicarius

Default Tel Aviv Introduces Segregated Kindergartens

Le sigh. Tel Aviv (Israel's most 'liberal' city) has taken a step back as far as civil rights are concerned. A revival of separate but equal, gone from the US for you know, 50 or so years, has arrived in Tel Aviv. This is partly in response to Jewish-Israeli residents of the city threatened to keep their children at home rather than allow them to go to school among their refugee/immigrant peers from the likes of places like Eritrea and Sudan. Segregation is officially illegal in Israel though so it remains to be seen what the future for this...perplexing... law is.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...eral-city.html

When the children of south Tel Aviv head back to school on Tuesday, kindergarteners will attend facilities that are segregated by race. The children of asylum seekers from sub-Saharan Africa will go to their kindergartens and all the other kids will go to their own. As of this year, the municipality of Israel's most liberal city decided that separate-but-equal for three-to-six year olds was the way to go—in 2013.According to a report published by Ynet (Hebrew edition), the city built the new preschools for black children after Jewish-Israeli residents of the inner city area threatened to keep their children at home rather than allow them to learn how to count, fingerpaint and play on the swings alongside their peers from Eritrea and Sudan.

African asylum seekers from Ivory Coast and Eritrea gather at a public park in Tel Aviv on March 13, 2008. (Jack Guez /AFP / Getty Images)
    The south Tel Aviv neighborhoods of Shapira and Hatikvah have for decades been one of the city's two most deprived areas (the other is southern Jaffa). Home to a population of mostly low income Mizrahi Jews (a.k.a. Oriental Jews), it suffers from the problems that plague most low-income areas—overcrowding, poor-quality housing and inadequate infrastructure. In recent years newcomers settled there, most notably foreign workers from the Philippines. More recently, asylum seekers from Sudan and Eritrea found their way to the economically depressed neighborhood. Tension between the veteran Jewish residents and the African asylum seekers has been high for quite some time, thanks partly to incitement from certain right-wing Members of Knesset and some rabbis, with the latter discouraging their followers from renting apartments to non-Jews. Last year the growing tension exploded in race riots. Mobs of angry Jewish residents smashed cars and shops belonging to blacks, beating and terrorizing them.

There are about 65,000 African asylum seekers spread around Israel, with a significant number concentrated in south Tel Aviv.

The Jewish residents of south Tel Aviv reject angrily the accusation that they are racists. They point out that the infrastructure and amenities in their impoverished neighborhoods are already overburdened. If the residents of the wealthy, liberal parts of the city had to share their apartment buildings and schools with impoverished asylum seekers from Africa, say the Jews of south Tel Aviv, they too would be resistant.

They might have a point there. Last year, some parents in the prosperous and fashionable Sheinkin area of central Tel Aviv opposed a visit from 35 black children for a joint Hanukkah at a local kindergarten. According to a Ynet (English) report, a group of parents started a chain of racist emails, with one claiming they needed to know if the African children had been immunized in order to “protect” their own children.

And so we have officials representing the city that markets itself as a paradise for gays and liberals of all types embracing the concept of segregated kindergartens, presenting it as a win-win for the African newcomers and the veteran residents.

“We understand what is happening in the southern part of the city,” one unidentified municipal official tells Ynet. “And thus we had no choice but to take this step. The residents are not interested in studying with the foreigners, so this is the only option left to us.”

According to the report, the segregated schools are for the children of black sub-Saharan asylum seekers only. The non-Jewish children from other regions, like Southeast Asia and Europe, will continue to attend the “Jewish” municipal kindergartens. Presumably Ethiopian Jewish children have been attending the mixed schools all along, and will continue to do so.

One Israeli activist who works on behalf of the asylum seekers' children suggests that the municipality set up the segregated kindergarten in order to provide them with extra tutoring, helping to prepare them for elementary school. Then she adds dubiously that she hopes this was indeed the motivation. But residents quoted in the article seem pretty certain the municipality is responding to their demands by separating the African children from theirs.

Yoav Goldring, a city council member from the liberal City for All party, told Ynet that he is puzzled by the municipality's decision to build segregated kindergartens, rather than simply more kindergartens for everyone. “Instead of resolving the neighborhood's existing problems of overcrowding and lack of infrastructure, the municipality catered to the prevailing atmosphere of racial segregation.” Goldring added that he intended to request the ministry of education to look into this matter.

Segregation is actually illegal in Israel, but the law won't be enforced unless someone takes the municipality of Tel Aviv and the ministry of education to court. Given the climate of crude racism directed against the Africans, with even radio presenters casually using the term “infiltrators” rather than refugees or asylum seekers, it is quite possible that no-one will think this outrageous incident is worth pursuing.

So what are your thoughts on this? I truly hope it gets challenged and struck down. Nothing good can come of this law-America learned separate but equal was a terrible thing around half a century ago, but apparently Tel Aviv hasn't gotten the message.
    Last edited by Slydessertfox; September 02, 2013 at 12:45 AM.

Default Re: Tel Aviv Introduces Racially Segregated Kindergartens

They don't let arabs in for over 6 decades so africans? Some even muslim? Tel Aviv is not nearly as liberal. There is a boiling undercurrent of racism.
    • My name will live in marble and that of my enemies in sand.
    • Kol kalb biji yumu.
    • Ba'al hammon demands sacrifice.
    • ​A man has many faces.
    • Diu werlt ist ûzen schœne, wîz, grüen unde rôt, und innen swarzer varwe, vinster sam der tôt.

I love when an article cites something from the Israeli media as a source and then just makes up its own story rather than report anything from the original source. According to the actual Ynet article these aren’t racially segregated preschools, they are preschools set up for foreign refugee children (as in not citizens). Israeli citizens can go to any school. There are some who are calling the new preschools racist because they’re specifically for African refugees, but in the article they are endorsed by the founder of the Elifelet Association, a non-profit refugee advocacy group:

יעל גבירץ, שהקימה את עמותת אליפלט — אזרחים למען ילדי פליטים, המסייעת לגני הילדים, מברכת על יוזמת העירייה: "כמי שמכירה את הצרכים בשטח, אני חושבת שזה רעיון מצוין אם באמת ישקיעו את המשאבים הדרושים כדי לענות על צורכי הילדים האלה, ולהכין אותם כך שבמפגש שלהם בכיתה א' עם ילדים ישראלים הם יבואו ממקום שהוא מקום של שוויון הזדמנויות ויכולות".
    “Yael Gevirtz, who established the Elifelet Association which assists refugee preschools, welcomes the initiative, ‘as someone who knows the needs on the ground, I think it’s a great idea if you invest the resources necessary to meet those needs, and to prepare them to encounter Israeli children in first grade so they will come from a place that is a place of equal opportunities and capabilities’” (my translation)

The Elifelet Association: http://www.blessingdaycare.org/en/
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

So citizenship = race now? I wasn't aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Salah ad Din Yusuf View Post
    They don't let arabs in for over 6 decades so africans? Some even muslim? Tel Aviv is not nearly as liberal. There is a boiling undercurrent of racism.

What are you even on about?

Caelifer_1991's Avatar Vicarius

Give it a few more years and they'll have progressed to waving swastikas around, it'll be like some kind of ironic joke except not. Israel, liberal... that's funny.

Too much gazing into the abyss.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Caelifer_1991 View Post
    Give it a few more years and they'll have progressed to waving swastikas around, it'll be like some kind of ironic joke except not. Israel, liberal... that's funny.
    Aye, setting up schools for ILLEGAL immigrants is so racist, ugh.
    They aren't even citizens of Israel, we aren't obliged to teach them.

Oh, so you're one of those people who're for some reason desperate to prove that Israelis are all secretly Nazis. What's next, the Protocols of the Elders of Zion?

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    Aye, setting up schools for ILLEGAL immigrants is so racist, ugh.
    They aren't even citizens of Israel, we aren't obliged to teach them.
    As far as I can see by the link there's nothing illegal about them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Oh, so you're one of those people who're for some reason desperate to prove that Israelis are all secretly Nazis. What's next, the Protocols of the Elders of Zion?
    Yes, because of course, seeing segregation as being one step short of nazism is CLEARLY and unequivocally synonymous with believing in anti-Jewish conspiracy theories. It couldn't possibly just be that I dislike the policy and/ or question why this only seems to effect refugees from sub-saharan Africa exclusively.... NO, I must be a conspiracy theorist, how could anyone reach any other conclusion?
    /ends sarcasm and proceeds to discuss the matter with the remainder of the forum

One concern with the article I do have is that it seems somewhat ambiguous, as in, it states that refugees from sub-saharan Africa will attend these kindergartens, but that the children from other parts of the Earth will not - one would assume that the children it speaks of are also refugees, in the context of the sentence. If it transpires that this is simply a case of tabloid reporting on kindergartens being made for refugees, with the ones specified just so happening to be for children from sub-saharan Africa, then I rescind my opposition. I would still find it odd however that any kindergarten, for refugees or otherwise, would be biased along racial lines. Clarification and further sources to support it would be useful. The organisation linked by sumskilz may only be in favour of providing such kindergartens in order to allow for segregation in the first place, this may not be the case, however further sources are required in order to have a reliable view of the matter.
    Last edited by Caelifer_1991; August 27, 2013 at 08:48 PM.

Default Tel Aviv Introduces Racially Segregated Kindergartens

Wait, so Israel didn't deport them after all? Or is this a different group of migrants?

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Provides special free schooling for black refugees. Accused of segregating racially...

You just can't win. You just can't win.

Did anyone ever consider they're being lumped together because they don't speak Hebrew and aren't Israeli citizens instead of because they're Sub Saharans?

If they were Albanian refugees this wouldn't be racial segregation but I bet they'd use the same methods.

Oh and while I'm against PC, I think Sub Saharan should be the PC term for Blacks. It's just cool to say.

And Segregation is WAY before Nazi. Chattel slavery isn't even at Nazi ideology. So step back for a minute and think about it.

If you want to call Israel Fascistic that's a misguided opening to a debate on how to classify Republican government. But to seriously call Israel Nazis, would be stupid. It's only intellectually tolerable as hyperbolic criticism and the sort of self aggrandizing ironic juxtaposition that certain critics devolve into.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; August 27, 2013 at 10:25 PM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    According to the actual Ynet article these aren’t racially segregated preschools, they are preschools set up for foreign refugee children (as in not citizens).
    So like the bus routes that Palestinians requested that magically became an act of Israeli segregation in the eyes of a lot of people here?
    The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    Provides special free schooling for black refugees. Accused of segregating racially...

You just can't win. You just can't win.

Did anyone ever consider they're being lumped together because they don't speak Hebrew and aren't Israeli citizens instead of because they're Sub Saharans?

If they were Albanian refugees this wouldn't be racial segregation but I bet they'd use the same methods.

Oh and while I'm against PC, I think Sub Saharan should be the PC term for Blacks. It's just cool to say.

And Segregation is WAY before Nazi. Chattel slavery isn't even at Nazi ideology. So step back for a minute and think about it.

If you want to call Israel Fascistic that's a misguided opening to a debate on how to classify Republican government. But to seriously call Israel Nazis, would be stupid. It's only intellectually tolerable as hyperbolic criticism and the sort of self aggrandizing ironic juxtaposition that certain critics devolve into.
    My post regarding nazism was to be taken as a warning against segregation and racism in general, what's more 1930's Germany disagrees with you. In the US segregation may not have led on to either fascism or nazism, but in 1930s Germany it most certainly did, what's more in various other parts of the world where genocides have taken place, segregation of the population as pertains to services, economic opportunities, living conditions/ locale, and political rights have often proceeded them. Now granted, I don't think that Israel is genuinely going to start waving swastikas around and exterminating people due to race, and it may very well be hyperbole, however, if the article in the OP is more than merely bad tabloid journalism then the precedent is most certainly quite serious, and that should not be understated.
    Last edited by Caelifer_1991; August 27, 2013 at 11:04 PM.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

What's more in various other parts of the world where genocides have taken place, segregation of the population as pertains to services, economic opportunities, living conditions/ locale, and political rights have often proceeded them.
    How about that stuff is all normal and does not lead to mass murder.

Radical or even just liberal integration in a partially reactionary environment will lead to ethnic cleansing and mass murder. Segregation is a conservative doctrine to minimize conflict.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

YuriVII's Avatar Primicerius

If they are illegal immigrants why are they not deporting them instead of building schools for them. I guess Tel-Aviv wants them there eventhough they dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    How about that stuff is all normal and does not lead to mass murder.

Radical or even just liberal integration in a partially reactionary environment will lead to ethnic cleansing and mass murder. Segregation is a conservative doctrine to minimize conflict.
    When such a conservative doctrine is considered it demonstrates sufficient reactionary sentiment within the population to cause such conflict, the same conflict that escalates over time towards ethnic cleansing and mass murder. You're point as such does not counter my point, it in fact reinforces it. It is also evident that prior to ethnic cleansing, segregation is often used as a tool by which to group the target group together in order to expedite the former's implementation, as such I would also argue that the only 'normal' stance for any reasonable person to take would be that both segregation and ethnic cleansing are regressive to the greatest extreme and that both ought to be actively opposed. Those that opt for either segregation or escalation of discrimination towards genocide are the outliers, and whichever norm they wish to impose must be destroyed from the outset.
    Last edited by Caelifer_1991; August 27, 2013 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    What are you even on about?
    Truth. If Israel segregates it's own citizens, why won't it segregate foreigners?
    • My name will live in marble and that of my enemies in sand.
    • Kol kalb biji yumu.
    • Ba'al hammon demands sacrifice.
    • ​A man has many faces.
    • Diu werlt ist ûzen schœne, wîz, grüen unde rôt, und innen swarzer varwe, vinster sam der tôt.

Grouchio's Avatar Vicarius

I'm basically inclined to look the other way concerning rights in Israel at the moment. It and Palestine have proven us time and again that they won't stop fighting until one or the other as a nation and people are destroyed. And given American policies, I support Israel through and through, minus those Zionists who seemingly make much of the mess. They have a right to remain a free country and the right to never live night and day in fear of people always wanting to blow them up. (I did read Gideon's Spies recently so cut any bias slack I may have, they're cool). I just want Palestine annexed already so the World can be done with such a tiresome conflict. I'm tired too.

Still, the Truman Doctrine. Enemy of my Enemy is a friend my ass.

One concern with the article I do have is that it seems somewhat ambiguous, as in, it states that refugees from sub-saharan Africa will attend these kindergartens, but that the children from other parts of the Earth will not - one would assume that the children it speaks of are also refugees, in the context of the sentence. If it transpires that this is simply a case of tabloid reporting on kindergartens being made for refugees, with the ones specified just so happening to be for children from sub-saharan Africa, then I rescind my opposition.
    The illegal immigrants that Israel pays to educate are all sub-Saharan Africans. The reason is that they have been granted temporary protection status because they are from places like Sudan and Eritrea. Israel doesn't pay for the education of other foreign nationals residing in Israel. US citizens for example have to pay to have their children go to private schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsunegari View Post
    Wait, so Israel didn't deport them after all? Or is this a different group of migrants?
    I think that deal was just being negotiated. I suspect that sending Sudanese refugees back to South Sudan along with the aid package will probably happen. It makes sense now that it’s its own country.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmouth View Post
    So like the bus routes that Palestinians requested that magically became an act of Israeli segregation in the eyes of a lot of people here?
    Very similar…

A municipality representative said that no such policy has been enacted, and that the only determining factor for where a child attends preschool is their place of residence.

The representative said that in order to accommodate the 2,716 new preschool students in the city, Tel Aviv has opened 70 new kindergarten classrooms ahead of the new school year, and that a large number of these are in neighborhoods with a high concentration of children of African asylum-seekers.

She added that there is no city policy stopping a child of African migrants from enrolling in a preschool in their neighborhood, regardless of the race or nationality of the other children who attend it, or, vice versa, there is nothing stopping an Israeli child who lives near the new preschools from enrolling in them.
    http://www.jpost.com/National-News/T...ew-year-324319
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Yes, because of course, seeing segregation as being one step short of nazism is CLEARLY and unequivocally synonymous with believing in anti-Jewish conspiracy theories. It couldn't possibly just be that I dislike the policy and/ or question why this only seems to effect refugees from sub-saharan Africa exclusively.... NO, I must be a conspiracy theorist, how could anyone reach any other conclusion?
    Or maybe you could try to read properly next time and not fall for the next smear campaign against Israel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast