Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: India launches first homegrown carrier

Default India launches first homegrown carrier

A proud moment for the Indian Navy

Amid strains of panchavadyam (orchestra of five instruments) and rendition of Sanskrit “shlokas,” INS Vikrant, India’s first indigenous aircraft carrier, was launched at Cochin Shipyard Limited on Monday, catapulting the country to an elite club of nations that can design and build 40,000-tonne aircraft carriers.
    The aircraft carrier was launched by Defence Minister A.K. Antony’s wife Elizabeth Antony. She broke a coconut and christened the warship amid the showering of floral petals and release of Tricolor balloons. Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral D.K. Joshi, Shipping Minister G.K. Vasan, Chairman of Cochin Shipyard Commodore K. Subramaniam and a few Kerala Ministers were present.
    The Navy acquired its first aircraft carrier, INS Vikrant in 1961, which played a decisive role in the 1971 India-Pakistan war. It was decommissioned in January 1997. The new Vikrant, which touched water on Monday, will undergo outfitting till 2016. Thereafter, it will go for basin trials and extensive sea trials. It is likely to be commissioned in 2018.
    Russia’s Admiral Gorshkov, now named Vikramaditya, is due to join the Navy by the year-end. The Navy already has INS Viraat, 28,000-tonne aircraft carrier. .
    “The launching of the indigenous aircraft carrier marks just the first step in a long journey, but at the same time an important one,’’ Mr. Antony said. It was a proud moment for the country in terms of achieving self-reliance in warship design and construction as only a handful advanced countries in the world have such capabilities to build aircraft carriers, he pointed out.
    He said the Indian Navy, over the years, had made a distinct shift from a buyer’s navy to a builder’s navy. He urged industry to participate wholeheartedly in shipbuilding programmes. Besides the indigenous aircraft carrier, Cochin Shipyard had orders for 25 ships, consisting of platform support vessels for international clients and fast patrol vessels for the Coast Guard. The achievement of the shipyard reflected the new era of industrial growth in Kerala.
    Admiral Joshi lauded the big boost to the Navy in its capabilities, saying 60 per cent of ships and submarines being built for the Navy were being constructed in Indian shipyards. Out of 47 warships, destroyers, and other vessels on order, 46 were being built at defence public sector or private shipyards in the country.
    The launch of the indigenous aircraft carrier came within days of the country’s first indigenous nuclear submarine Arihant’s nuclear reactor going critical. This year, the Navy pressed into service P8I aircraft from the U.S. to keep surveillance, and is scheduled to get a Kolkata-class destroyer and a P28 ASW Corvette as well.
    The design and construction of Vikrant was sanctioned in January 2003 and the keel was laid on February 28, 2009 by Mr. Antony. “In its construction, 26,000 tonnes of steel plates were used. All requirements were met by SAIL plants, and the plates can withstand good low temperatures and corrosion and have high strength,” said SAIL Chairman C.S. Verma.
    Vikrant will be capable of operating a mixture of Russian MiG-29K and Light Combat Aircraft, being developed by HAL. Its helicopter component will include Kamov 31 and the indigenously developed Advanced Light Helicopter. The aircraft carrier will have long-range, surface-to-air missile and close-in weapon system. It will be equipped with the most modern C/D bank early warning radar, tactical air navigational and direction finding systems.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle5015264.ece
    Last edited by koovie; August 13, 2013 at 11:26 PM.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: India launches first homegrown carrier

INS Vikrant is powered by 4 gas turbines, just point out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Sir Winston Churchill's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

It'll be the first thing China sinks.

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    — CA trying to prevent dissent on their forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalminar View Post
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

This while the country is literally drowning in feces: http://economy.money.cnn.com/2012/03...-than-toilets/
    They really have their priorities in order there.

For some reason when I read "homegrown" I imagined a whale with a birdhouse on it.
    "People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

In Soviet Russia you want Uncle Sam.

By Kaustubh Kulkarni
    MUMBAI | Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:00am EDT

(Reuters) - Eighteen Indian sailors were trapped after an explosion and fire on board a conventionally powered Indian submarine berthed at the coastal city of Mumbai early on Wednesday, the navy said.
    "There are some people who are trapped on board, we are in the process of trying to rescue them," said navy spokesman P.V.S. Satish. "We will not give up until we get to them."
    The explosion inside the INS Sindhurakshak was likely an accident but an investigation was under way to establish the cause, Satish said.
    The accident comes in the same week as India launched a locally built aircraft carrier due for completion in 2017, and announced that the reactor on India's first home-built nuclear submarine was now operational.
    India's navy has had far fewer accidents than the air force, dogged for years by crashes of Russian-made MiG-21 fighters.
    However, the country's fleet of 14 submarines is in urgent need of modernization, and the INS Sindhurakshak had returned just a few months ago from an upgrade at a Russian shipyard. Satish said the fleet had an "impeccable" safety track record.
    Photos distributed by social media users appeared to show a large fireball over the navy dock where the diesel-electric submarine was berthed.
    "There was a loud explosion post midnight and I woke up," said Dharmendra Jaiswal, who manages a public toilet opposite the naval dockyard. "I could see the skyline was bright and I could make out that some fire or blast had occurred inside."
    The vessel, which was fully operational with weapons on board, was half-submerged after the fire. A team of navy divers was mobilized to search for survivors and 16 fire tenders were brought in to put out the blaze, local media said.
    Three people who were near the submarine at the time of the explosion were injured and being treated in hospital, spokesman Satish said.
    (Additional reporting by Frank Jack Daniel and Sruthi Gottipati in NEW DELHI; Writing by John Chalmers; Editing by Ron Popeski)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/14/us-india-submarine-fire-idUSBRE97D02920130814

Apparently, at least two torpedoes went rogue and fired themselves off; ironic, if they had accidentally sank something, like a brand new aircraft carrier.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

I have three conflicting feelings about this:

1) I think it is good that India is working to improve it's advanced mechanical industry.

2) I think they should prioritize a lot of other things than carriers. I understand and respect the need of a modern army but carriers seem to be both expensive and sub-optimal against likely enemies.

3) I fear for the sailors safety. 18 sailors are currently stuck on one of their subs and there is a huge need for nr 1 so I wouldn't want to serve on the first of anything .

Holy cow, they grow aircraft carriers in India? Impressive.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    Apparently, at least two torpedoes went rogue and fired themselves off; ironic, if they had accidentally sank something, like a brand new aircraft carrier.
    At least it is not some weirdo who burn the sub because he does not want to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Indian wages scale better than in the States.

Dante Von Hespburg's Avatar Sloth's Inferno
    Moderator Emeritus

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

This is how i imagine it to be...

But seriously good on India, Not that they need it, but a shipbuilding Nation (if good enough) can get a serious boost to its economy from the buying market, especially one with the potential resource capacity as India.

That said, as some others here have commented, maybe they should now look at prioritizing the slightly more important things- Infrastructure, clean water, improved social support systems (Commie!)... modern housing (Anyone seen Idiot abroad... Interesting to see the real street life).
    Last edited by Dante Von Hespburg; August 14, 2013 at 03:49 AM.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I have three conflicting feelings about this:

3) I fear for the sailors safety. 18 sailors are currently stuck on one of their subs and there is a huge need for nr 1 so I wouldn't want to serve on the first of anything .
    Fun fact the sub is a russian Kilo Class submarine. it returned after a 80 mil $ refurbishment. Oh, well.

LoZz's Avatar who are you?

nice. remind me why we are giving them millions in aid each years when they have money to spend on this?

Not to mention the space race and the included ballistic missile and nuclear weapons programmes.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    Not to mention the space race and the included ballistic missile and nuclear weapons programmes.
    It's easy to forgot that compare to other country, India have real need for military hardware. They are bordered with one paranoid islamic nuclear country who already attacked them for several time and one big bully communist country. I bet if India lowered their guard, their neighbour would be happy to take some of their best land, balkanization and vassalage the rest.
    Last edited by Ak1980; August 14, 2013 at 05:37 AM.

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Tankbustaz View Post
    Fun fact the sub is a russian Kilo Class submarine. it returned after a 80 mil $ refurbishment. Oh, well.
    But it is operated by Indians and the Indian military is not exactly famous for respecting security protocols.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak1980 View Post
    It's easy to forgot that compare to other country, India have real need for military hardware. They are bordered with one paranoid islamic nuclear country who already attacked them for several time and one big bully communist country. I bet if India lowered their guard, their neighbour would be happy to take some of their best land, balkanization and vassalage the rest.
    I agree but the question is if carriers really are the best defence.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I agree but the question is if carriers really are the best defence.
    1 is certainly useful to blockade Pakistan and backing up their oil venture in Vietnam, they are fast learner . But yeah i agree, 3 carrier especially if the third going to be nuclear carrier as they plan really pushing it.

Btw while we are on topic of carrier, do you think the rumor that new Japan helicopter carrier can launch F-35B is true?
    Last edited by Ak1980; August 14, 2013 at 06:19 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

wonderful
    more breads and circuses that don't solve India's social or national security problems for that matter

Indefinitely Banned

Meanwhile people are starving to death and poverty is at a all time high.Maybe spending cash on the lower caste people would have been better.

Considering who their immediate neighbour is, it's not actually paranoia when it's proven that the Pakistan military and occasionally government actively is trying to destabilize you.

Accidents happen, and we can assume that the Indian Navy will assign their best people to their nuclear powered ships, as compared to conventionally driven boats. Might be more concerned if the nuclear plant were a native design and indigenously built. Would be very unhappy if in transiting the Straits of Malacca it went critical.

However, I do believe that Indian politicians have disparaged aid granted by Western governments, and since it's no longer seems to influence policy decisions on armaments contracts or assisting in helping Western corporations get their hands on infrastructure projects, the money might be better spent countering Chinese influence in Africa.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast