Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SS map of Carpathian basin

Default Re: SS map of Carpathian basin

Quote Originally Posted by Csatádi View Post
    What is Dana?
    Dana = Duna. Spelling mistake (and memory failure...but I don't think I can buy a new harddrive for my head). I also misunderstood what you meant about Croatia's borders and using the Medieval ones, but no worries. My brain has been a bit scrambled.
    Last edited by Kaidonni; September 07, 2012 at 10:52 AM.

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Kaidonni View Post
    Dana = Duna.
    I was searching something on the Croatian part.

The Danube looks fine now. It resembles far more to the real maps.
    Last edited by Csatádi; September 07, 2012 at 11:10 AM.

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

Another idea:
    In the case of Belgrad/Nándorfehérvár I suggest to place it beside the bridge or move the river to achieve this. This fort controlled the way to Hungary and it would be cool to see this somehow on the map.

I've been reconsidering the start year of my mod, possibly moving it to 1214. This creates an issue with the Teutonic Order - they were enfeoffed the Burzenland at this point (technically they weren't a state, but I'd rather not have them as an emergent faction). The question is whether or not I should add an extra region to Hungary and put the Teutonic Knights there if I go with the 1214-ish start date. I have plenty of regions to play around with, so while the region limit has already been reached, there are regions that I feel are best to be moved to give better representation to central and eastern Europe.

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

I don't know much about them.
    Their territories in Hungary weren't large. They organized some lands in the Cuman steppes later called Wallachia. What about creating a region with the area of the Banate of Szörény? Severin in English. Area:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._13th_cent.png

This might be the territory of the Knights. And a permanent stone fort in the Barcaság/Burzenland if you use fixed forts.

In reality the banate was founded in 1228 by prince Béla - the later king Béla IV. However it is good if it is present because it was a source of conflicts between Magyars and Romanians.

Not entirely map related (not geographically), but I didn't want to create a whole new thread since I posted heavily in this one anyway. I haven't abandoned my mod, although it took me away from Hungary and to redoing the Russian principalities and more recently revamping the Muslim unit rosters (also it now starts in 1254 rather than 1225). I've been looking at the empty settlement flags due to having new factions in my mod, and there are some pretty nice flags on Wikipedia that do the job when scaled down to the right size. Here's what I have so far for Hungary's empty settlements...

By not exceeding 110 pixels in height on these flags, any shape can be used. I've been doing the other factions also, they are mainly placeholders at the moment in the case I might be able to recruit someone to redo all faction symbols. However, I do note that Wikipedia states this design first appeared in the 14th century (still 46 years away ). Could an alternative be the coat of arms of the Arpad dynasty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81rp%C3%A1d_dynasty)?

EDIT: Okay, it is Wikipedia...the details for the CoA in that link state them as the CoA of Hungary in that timeframe. A better fit?
    Last edited by Kaidonni; December 21, 2012 at 04:38 PM.

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

This CoA appeared the middle of the 14th century.
    I would use earlier CoA because your mod starts in 1225.
    You may change the red hue if you wish of course. For example I use darker red but it's a matter of taste.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12