Thread: Griefing

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Barackolypse Now
    Artifex Technical Staff

Default Griefing

There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding about what is going to be allowed and what is not going to be allowed. The two lines in red do seem to contradict each other in the context of what I am about to post.

It is expected that you will play fairly within the spirit of the server:

-You will not excessively grief someone's land: grief to break through defences and to fight, not to simply wreck their stuff.
    -You will not go overboard with Obsidian in order to make impenetrable rooms or forts.
    -You will have to claim land before declaring war on another faction.
    -You will not claim lands purely to allow you to attack other people while leaving your own property undeveloped.

The server is semi-griefing enabled: Land is protected when at peace, only when at war will enemies be able to grief. Please note that any buildings on un-owned land are not protected under these griefing rules. If you do not own the land, it is fair game. Build on Wilderness land at your own risk.

Last night someone destroyed every block in the corner of a building that was mostly protected. Every block was technically in the Wilderness through an oversight in the land claiming process. The faction claimed an area of 68 chunks and happened to miss one.

While technically within the rules, this is a violation of the spirit of the server. Its obvious from looking at the layout of the land, and the money this faction has in the bank, that they did intend to claim this chunk. They own every chunk surrounding it, and have plenty of money so that they could have claimed this one too. And this is at their main faction claim. This is information available to every player in the game.

If this had been an outpost, or someone taking advantage of a hole in the defenses to go in and look for stuff, or someone who intentionally built a big fort out in the wilderness then I would not say a word. But lets not destroy someone's entire creation because they made a mistake when claiming the land. That is just wrong.

I got asked about animals this morning too, so I will post on that as well.

If you manage to find a way into someones base and their livestock area, its ok to kill a few cows or sheep or whatever. After all you have to eat!

But if your intent is just to kill everything they own then at least have the balls to declare war and to do it while they are online and can defend their stock. Animals are not protected by plugins and this is something we will have to make judgement calls on, and I would say that killing all of someones cows was just pure griefing.

Wolves are a different story since they are also weapons. Steal them if you can.

Daily's Avatar Flingin' ma mace son
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Griefing

Good. Over the top griefing should always be frowned upon
    Proud patron of Confederate Jeb and FalconPilot
    View how Grouchy makes a Hoplon shield!

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar VLTIMVS ROMANORVM

Agreed, for example someone killed all of alex's chickens and it wasn't one of us, and a few of them escaped/were let out.
    Quote Originally Posted by BroskiDerpman View Post
    It's like learning rocket science to eat a hot dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Simak
    For the love of the Gods Evan - You would be a bloody tyrant!

MODDERS WANTED! | Political Profile
    | RomanArmyTalk

The Laughing Man

After all you have to eat!
    Damn right.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Daily View Post
    Good. Over the top griefing should always be frowned upon
    This

Artifex Technical Staff

Ok it looks like I have to revisit this again.

Do NOT just randomly destroy stuff, like entire storage areas and chests. Today someone destroyed several dozen chests with over 25,000 items in them.

Wtf would you want to destroy chests of cobble and stuff for anyways?

You can grief/raid, but do it strategically. If you steal all of their gold/diamonds/iron, thats life.

But this was the desrtuction of an entire storage area, for no damn reason at all.

Bolkonsky's Avatar how you doin?

When people start abusing the system, the more limitations will have to be put in place, and eventually those limitations will start to have a negative effect on gameplay. When someone does something like this, they're not just hurting their enemies, they're also hurting themselves, the server, and the site, in the long run.

Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Equites Cohortales
    Citizen

I agree with you 100% GED. I hated the idea of someone destroying enormous storages and chests for no apparent reason on my server though my opinions on the idea weren't exactly loved. The amount of time and effort that can be destroyed in a few seconds with items IMO is a much more significant form of griefing. It would be neat if chests could be ungriefable but I haven't any clue how to define types of blocks like that.
    The greatest threat to Science is the illusion of knowledge.
    Political Profile | Justice on TWCenter | Elfdude's Guide to Evolution

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    Ok it looks like I have to revisit this again.

Do NOT just randomly destroy stuff, like entire storage areas and chests. Today someone destroyed several dozen chests with over 25,000 items in them.

Wtf would you want to destroy chests of cobble and stuff for anyways?

You can grief/raid, but do it strategically. If you steal all of their gold/diamonds/iron, thats life.

But this was the desrtuction of an entire storage area, for no damn reason at all.
    Just so you know, this tactic (the purpose, to destroy the resources of a faction thus weakening their capabilities) has a history of common use in many previous servers hosted in twc. Also the actual method of destroying the items in the chest did vary (such as using lava to instantly destroy spilled items thrown onto the floor).

To be honest I am surprised you didn't predict this sort of attack when forming the server. It would happen a lot in the wars.

Equites Cohortales
    Citizen

Ugh, it's impossible to run a server as a democracy anyways, we'd loose far too many players that hardcore imo.

abbews's Avatar The Screen Door Slams

But when Riddermark destroyed our entire storage area no one lifted a finger..

Remlap's Avatar Lag Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by abbews View Post
    I didn't see you make a request for us to look into it, formal or otherwise.

Equites Cohortales
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by abbews View Post
    I hate to say it abbs but as an admin before it's rather annoying to hear why not me when someone never told me. Imagine trying to keep track of 50 different why not mes.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by elfdude View Post
    Ugh, it's impossible to run a server as a democracy anyways, we'd loose far too many players that hardcore imo.
    This server was not formed democratically with the community. Only a few people were able to put in their ideas, and fewer were able to see them through. I don't mind this since it gets the jobs done, the server outcome has been very successful and it appeals to most players.

Artifex Technical Staff

Quote Originally Posted by IZob View Post
    To be honest I am surprised you didn't predict this sort of attack when forming the server. It would happen a lot in the wars.
    I did predict it, this is why we wrote the rule about "excessive" griefing.

To be honest I cant believe we have to have these kinds of conversations. Its childish, and serves no purpose at all. I would say the exact same thing if you made the argument that destroying every building a faction built was "destroying their resources". As Bolk points out, this sort of behavior only hurts the server in the long run. People do not want to play on a server where everything they have ever done can be destroyed in a matter of minutes.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

What is so childish about discussing the rule? Most people are in agreement with your decision anyway. I only said I was surprised in your comment, because you had to remind us on what the rule was. When initially I thought this server would have something more efficient to prevent this sort of game play.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar VLTIMVS ROMANORVM

We have no storage building yet anyways so weve prevented this.
    Quote Originally Posted by BroskiDerpman View Post
    It's like learning rocket science to eat a hot dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Simak
    For the love of the Gods Evan - You would be a bloody tyrant!

MODDERS WANTED! | Political Profile
    | RomanArmyTalk

Artifex Technical Staff

Quote Originally Posted by IZob View Post
    What is so childish about discussing the rule?
    You misread that.

Nothing is childish about discussing the rule. However the only reason we are currently discussing it is because someone destroyed 40+ double chests. That was the childish act.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Oh I see now what you ment.

Pat89's Avatar Northman™

It wasn't an uncommon practise on the community server (the "Cobblecaust" probably being the largest example). But since on those servers there were no tools to stop it from happening, a rule about banning it couldn't be enforced. Here there are those tools, so the practise can also be banned (which is a good thing).

~ Europa Universalis IV Multiplayer - Game 1 (Ming) - Game 2 (Sweden) - Game 3 (Hungary) ~

Thread Information