Darth's newest version of DMS includes an add-on (DMS_Dartheffects) which drastically improves the appearance of muzzle flash and gun smoke for matchlock units. His add-on makes the muzzle flash look realistic and the gun smoke hangs above the battle field for much longer. However, it also removes a lot of other particles such as ambient effects and projectile impact dust. I'm torn between using the add-on and not because I love what it does for matchlocks; however, I'm not such a fan of removing the ambient effects and impact particles.

My objective is to create a custom landbattles.xml that improves the matchlock muzzle flash and gun smoke without removing ambient effects, impact particles, etc. Using PFM, I extracted Darth's landbattles.xml and a vanilla landbattles.xml. I converted both to text files and used a program to identify differences between the two documents; however, I still can't make out which lines have been changed to improve the matchlock appearance and which lines have been changed to remove ambient effects, impact particles, etc. Unfortunately, Darth is too busy to help with my dilemma at the moment. I would really appreciate someone familiar with landbattles.xml who is willing to help me sort out which lines I need to change.

I know this is a pretty big request, so if I'm asking too much, maybe you could help explain the various code lines in landbattles.xml? For example, I've noticed that the file is broken up into segments that look like:

<SCRIPTED_EFFECT_INFO ... >
</SCRIPTED_EFFECT_INFO>

but there are a lot of subcommands within each scripted_effect_info section that are alien to me. A simple explanation of those lines would go a long way in helping me determine which lines I need to modify.