Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Steam Workshop for Total War?

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Re: A Steam Workshop for Total War?

Quote Originally Posted by BURNY26 View Post
    If Im not mistaken ,they mean 10Gb max PER file, the total amount of data is unlimited--> 'unlimited online storage'....
    You are right, I misread that the first time around. I wonder what they really mean by "unlimited" storage. Most of these hosts that claim unlimited storage and bandwidth have a clause in there someplace about overloading a shared server, which is why TWC has its own servers.

"This has a dropbox" we can embed on the site as well. I have no idea how well that will work, but since I am currently using FTP that would probably be better strictly for uploads as long as we can prevent access by spammers and such. I dont mind trying this out and seeing how well it works for us. I will try the $9 plan first, if we need something that doesnt give us then I will consider upgrading. If we can spend $100 a year vs $600 a year that would definitely be best.

Id be happy to volunteer for the maintenance of it... Lets start from scratch than. If the first time doesnt work ,we need to try a second time and a third and .....
    I am fine with that. I am actually glad people are willing to help out with this. I guess its on me now to get the ball rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Tango12345♔ View Post
    @GED.

It got as far as AL asking for volunteers, and then because he hasn't replied to those of us who did volunteer probably due to RL concerns we don't know what to do yet.
    Yeah I saw that. I have no idea what happened there.

I will get a new thread up in the Q & S for volunteers.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl
    You are right, I misread that the first time around. I wonder what they really mean by "unlimited" storage. Most of these hosts that claim unlimited storage and bandwidth have a clause in there someplace about overloading a shared server, which is why TWC has its own servers.
    Found the Terms of Service. I didn't see any clauses limiting their unlimited data. Though I thought this might be of interest:

you license to MediaFire all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to such Content for distribution on the Services pursuant to the Agreement.

For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your Content. However, by distributing Content through MediaFire, you hereby grant MediaFire a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licensable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, perform the Content in connection with the Services and MediaFire's (and its successors and affiliates) business.

MediaFire does not endorse any Content stored on or distributed through the Services and MediaFire expressly disclaims any and all liability in connection with Content. You bear full responsibility and sole liability for any lost or irrecoverable data. You understand and agree that MediaFire reserves the right to delete, move, archive (including account information) or edit any Content that it may determine violates the Agreement and/or Privacy Policy or is otherwise unacceptable and may terminate your access to the Services, without prior notice and at its sole discretion.

You control your data through your free or Premium account and/or cookies which may be placed on your computer. MediaFire maintains multiple copies of active files. MediaFire bears no responsibility for maintaining your data indefinitely.

MediaFire is not a data warehousing service. Its intended use is for active accounts and active file sharing which may inadvertently result in backups of files being shared. Accounts with large amounts of stagnant data `collecting dust` or accounts with very limited user and sharing activity may, in MediaFire' sole discretion and without notice, be removed from the Services.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StealthFox View Post
    Found the Terms of Service. I didn't see any clauses limiting their unlimited data. Though I thought this might be of interest:
    Yeah thats interesting.

I suspect this will end up being the real problem though:
    MediaFire is not a data warehousing service. Its intended use is for active accounts and active file sharing which may inadvertently result in backups of files being shared. Accounts with large amounts of stagnant data `collecting dust` or accounts with very limited user and sharing activity may, in MediaFire' sole discretion and without notice, be removed from the Services.

I just bought a year of the corporate plan, we can try it for 30 days and if we think it blows then I can get my money back and we can do something else. I ended up doing the $49 a month so I could have extra users, otherwise whoever was in this team would have access to my CC info and stuff like that.

It may end up being better off for me to build a small server with lots of hard drive space here at my house and giving people on the team FTP access to it. More expensive up front but cheaper in the long run. We will run with this for a month and see how it goes.

I sent a PM out to someone offering them management of the team to get this rolling. When I get a reply back I will either select someone else or get it rolling later today, depending if he accepts or not.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    Yeah thats interesting.

I suspect this will end up being the real problem though:

I just bought a year of the corporate plan, we can try it for 30 days and if we think it blows then I can get my money back and we can do something else. I ended up doing the $49 a month so I could have extra users, otherwise whoever was in this team would have access to my CC info and stuff like that.

It may end up being better off for me to build a small server with lots of hard drive space here at my house and giving people on the team FTP access to it. More expensive up front but cheaper in the long run. We will run with this for a month and see how it goes.

I sent a PM out to someone offering them management of the team to get this rolling. When I get a reply back I will either select someone else or get it rolling later today, depending if he accepts or not.
    Maybe a mail should be sent asking for the specific amount of data that needs to be downloaded? And make sure each month the requiered amount is downloaded... Im wondering if they are talking about each file being downloaded or just as a collective amount of downloads. In the latter ,you could help out newly released mods ,by providing additional startlinks ,to facilitate servertraffic and reach the amount more easily.

Also ,Id propose to look for a second server ,if TWC chooses the available uploadsites on the net. To make sure if one drops out ,a back-up remains...
    A GED's personal server doesn't sound bad either. It seems to be the best solution IMO, god knows how many other sharingsites will be crushed by SOPA ,PIPA and ACTA...

Sign me up anyway for the maintenance team
    Last edited by BURNY26; February 21, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
    Son of the now supersilly walking MasterBigAb/戦国無双

magpie's Avatar Artifex

Well done GED. You are showing great commitment.
    Regarding my own little mediafire account I was happy to pay so I could upload and store my dev beta RotN campaign work for our dev team to get access to, As these files were large and I did not want adverts It suited my agenda.
    regards,
    mags

sponsered by the noble Prisca

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

There is a new thread in the Q & S for this. Bolkonsky is in charge of the team and getting it running.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Great stuff!!! looks like we are motoring ahead here, my services are up for grabs if needed so let me know what needs to be done!

Magpie - I owe you an apology as I completely misread your PM in post 31, you are showing willing to your mod and having a storage facility that you pay for is totally justified!

magpie's Avatar Artifex

No problem Toon, and thanks

regards,

mags

sponsered by the noble Prisca

Tribunus

Bolk is a good choice

Let's do this honeybunnies

Tribunus

Indeed, I'm quite happy that my idea got the vault kicked back into action.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicman2051 View Post
    Indeed, I'm quite happy that my idea got the vault kicked back into action.

Our ideas and GED's + Bolk's work.

Giorgos's Avatar Deus Ex Machina

Excellent...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123