View Poll Results: Do you think that default campaign map movement range is realistic?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 25.00%
  • No

3 75.00%
  • Quite realistic

0 0%

Thread: New campaign map units movement range mod

Ducenarius
    Poland --> Upper Silesia region (pl=Górny Śląsk).

Icon3 New campaign map units movement range mod

I) Introduction.

This mod triples ships and land units movement range on the campaign map.

It makes especially sea cruises more realistic.

This mod was tested on medium graphics settings.

It will take a little more time to select and highlight an unit than in vanilla ETW due to increased movement range, but be patient.

Any comments will be appreciated!

II) Installation instructions.

1) Download the *.rar archive.

2) Unpack its content to your Empire Total War data folder.

3) Enable this mod through Mod Manager 1.5.

4) Launch the game.

5) Enjoy!

III) Download:
    Last edited by p.jakub88; February 16, 2012 at 03:19 AM.
    Remember of the Alamo!

panzer.tc's Avatar Civis

Icon14 Re: New campaign map units movement range mod

I agree ships definitely need to have their movement increased in vanilla ETW, however, I am not prepared for having army units movement tripled.

Good work though, thanks

Taraphir's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: New campaign map units movement range mod

Will you give smaller military vessels such like sloops and brigs more range than larger warships?

Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Taraphir View Post
    Will you give smaller military vessels such like sloops and brigs more range than larger warships?
    No, i only tripled their vanilla range that's all. So in example: 83 before - now 83 x 3 = 249.
    Remember of the Alamo!

Hey p.jakub88 is it posible to triple their firing range as well?

Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Chocoman View Post
    Hey p.jakub88 is it posible to triple their firing range as well?
    Yes, i think it is possible.
    Remember of the Alamo!

Ok thanks I'll look around....

Yes, this would be a good addition, but I would hope that it would still work with Darthmod. Please tell me it will.

Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Hiscore View Post
    Yes, this would be a good addition, but I would hope that it would still work with Darthmod. Please tell me it will.
    I don't know if this works with Darthmod, because i don't use Darthmod.
    Remember of the Alamo!

like the idea. any one have any trouble with conflicts for patches 2,3,4,5? If this is too old a thread, let me know

Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by springchicken View Post
    like the idea. any one have any trouble with conflicts for patches 2,3,4,5? If this is too old a thread, let me know
    I could only tell for myself - i tested it on 1.5 version that's all.
    Remember of the Alamo!

Here is my take;

The problem isn't the movement; it is the time frame. The "vanilla" version of the game is one turn= 6 months. A lot can happen in 6 months. If you increase the range, then you have ships and units that move around like they hyper speed mode. You are trading one unrealistic option for another. An alternative is to increase the seasons. However, this means you have two separate winters. I still would rather have 4 turns per year; however, you need to make other adjustments. The Creative Assembly team really messed this one up.

---

good point PikeStance. I think best possible scale ( i mean without complicate script running in the background) is to have 3 turns per year, starting with winter, which gives you 2 summer turns. While that just makes one turn to take 4 months instead of 6, its still better than former option. It also allows to reduce campaign movement a bit. Personally i use very limited land movement, but with extremely high road modifiers, so unit can move great distances over roads, but not so much anywhere else. This represents the Army need to stay close to supply lines, but also much worse mobility of army through wilderness...

I can't find the links to download...

I would disagree on 3 turns per year. We're still continuing to treat land units as though they're driving on the highway instead of walking across fields (or at best along side a road). There should be 4 seasons but the ranges should be adjusted per season.

Summer/Fall = Normal movement (adjusted effectively for the fact there are 4 seasons in a year instead of 2)
    Winter = 1/2 Normal
    Spring = 1/4 Normal

Spring is a lot lower than Winter because of the mud. Land units already get a movement bonus based on the road type in the region, so we needn't worry about that.
    Winter is clear lower than Summer/Fall because of snow.
    Summer/Fall were the primary campaigning seasons during the 18th Century.

Gentlemen, while I bow to your combined experience and knowledge of Total War gaming, and follow your theoretical on the movement rates, the end results are still not realistic The reason that when ever anyone looks at movement rates, and applys them to range in a six month.span, - which is vanilla ETW - they always come up with this so called "hyper speed mode" for want of a better term, is that while really ugly in the game is theoretically pretty accurate. The OP, when he looked at the distance a ship or unit could move in a 6 month time period, was pretty well bang on. But this still leaves the problem intact.
    For years now I have always set my first game save to 6 turns per year in all my Campaigns. and have had great results. Not only does the distance rates work much more accurately, you give way more time to allow for natural and man made issues to play their parts in the journey, which may alter greatly the end results. More ship encounters, other marauding armies, and especially a fair minded amount of time in summer for campaigning.

I would really like to attempt 12 turns a year, but afraid this would effect other areas best left alone, although the truns for summer and winter would be a better fit. Anyway 6 turns has worked the best for me, do not be afraid to try this in your own games, I think you will be pleased with the results

Push on, brave York volunteers