Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP: The WW1 mappack ( New map video GALICIA p 27 ,new map Easternfront p29, fort de Vaux p31)

Default Re: WIP: The WW1 mappack (first pics of Kut Al Amara, Irak, p13)

Well done good sir, well done indeed. This is not only a good battlefield for The Great War itself, but the WW2 submod will also benefit from it greatly, the desert location and the urban evironment fit our current focus perfectly, once again, well done and +rep!

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    Well done good sir, well done indeed. This is not only a good battlefield for The Great War itself, but the WW2 submod will also benefit from it greatly, the desert location and the urban evironment fit our current focus perfectly, once again, well done and +rep!
    There will be other maps like this later, in orient. Of course you will be able to use them for your mod

i like trenches and tanks and machine guns

Something new today: first tries on making burnt trees on the battlefield. (8 different models)

Last edited by panzerschreck; November 01, 2012 at 02:17 AM.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Default Re: WIP: The WW1 mappack (first pics of Kut Al Amara, Irak, p13 + first tries on burnt trees)

ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE !

Default Re: WIP: The WW1 mappack (p14, new models in preparation, train + sandbags)

Here are new models that I prepaired this week with the help of a friend:

SANDBAGS:

TRAIN:

DESTROYED TRAIN:

stake

Last edited by panzerschreck; November 10, 2012 at 01:25 AM.

Litany of fury's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: WIP: The WW1 mappack (new models train + sandbags + stake p14)

Wow, loving the Siege of Kut map! looks truly awesome!

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

You keep amaze me Panzer.

I love you panzerschreck

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

I wish I could model, or at least had time to.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Quote Originally Posted by Aanker View Post
    I don't know much about it yet, I learn little by little. The thing I would need to learn is UVmapping, do you know good tutorials Aanker or have you good advices for me? I could try to begin with the burnt trees above...

Nope, UV mapping is unknown to me, sadly.

Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Nope, UV mapping is unknown to me, sadly.
    when you do the textures, you use uv map, don't you? I want to learn how to put the textures

Quote Originally Posted by panzerschreck View Post
    when you do the textures, you use uv map, don't you? I want to learn how to put the textures
    I basically get a 2D image which shows the different texture areas, but none of the 3D data necessary to create the UV map itself. I essentially work with the UV map, but I do not make it. However if you want to know how to make the textures themselves with the aid of the UV map 2D file, I might be able to help.

I basically get a 2D image which shows the different texture areas, but none of the 3D data necessary to create the UV map itself. I essentially work with the UV map, but I do not make it. However if you want to know how to make the textures themselves with the aid of the UV map 2D file, I might be able to help.
    yes, I have uu3d, so it does the uvmap in 2d itself and I would like to learn how to fill it.

Okay, well what I usually do is use GIMP for this purpose and place the UV map as a separate layer above the base layer, which we will use for the main texture. I then cut away the surrounding colour around the UV map lines (e.g. if the UV map background is black I select everything of that colour with the colour selection tool and delete it, giving us only white lines on a transparent background). This way we can see both the UV map and the background we are working with at the same time.

So, for the texture proper. First of all you have to determine what kind of material a particular texture is supposed to be. This means not only if it is going to be textile, wood, stone etc. but also how worn it has to look, which tone it needs, what the general "feel" should be. Just selecting stock on google will give you something that looks very mashed up, so there needs to be some cohesion based on these decisions. I usually draw my materials by hand, and this is a fairly time-consuming process. You can also use stock (e.g. high quality images of materials) and cut & paste to your heart's desire.

One thing to bear in mind is that the background of the base texture should have a neutral colour, such as grey. If it is invisible you risk producing weird edges on the in-game object if the texture-UV map was not a 100% perfect fit.

Some general tips for diffuse ("basic") textures:

Grooves and crevaces = should be darkened. Produces depth.
    Edges = should be brightened. Produces depth and a rugged feel (edges are worn).
    (The two above depend a bit on the material, though)
    In general = what looks good on the 2D map might look ugly in-game and vice versa. Always test the object in-game on bright maps to see if any adjustments are necessary.
    Format = most N:TW textures are saved as .dds in a specific compression. I can't remember it right now but should be something like Mip-Maps enabled, 5 something something.

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    You keep amaze me Panzer.
    More than a bit late to the party, but this ^.

Emphasis on the lack time, you definitely could model.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

The topic of this thread is Panzerschreck's maps, mapmaking and assorted areas of discussion, not Twilight.

The topic of this thread is Panzerschreck's maps, mapmaking and assorted areas of discussion, not Twilight.
    Aanker, just because I mention some less than flattering aspects about your physique doesn't give you the right to start deleting posts. Heavy handed moderation if I ever saw it...

PS. There's an off topic post in panzer's map pack thread, could you take care of it?
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

History has always been a bit of the State's slut.