Thread: Rise of the Tokugawa. *CLOSED*

jpops0702's Avatar Foederatus

Default Rise of the Tokugawa. *CLOSED*

Chapter List and Settings
    This AAR is now closed. I'm sorry, but I could never work out the differences between the two games in a satisfactory way.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I am playing on Normal Campaign difficulty and Hard Battle difficulty. I use no mods, only pure vanilla. I hope you enjoy. Comments and constructive criticism welcome.

From “The Tokugawa: A Brief History” by Meiko Harada.
    1545: An Untimely Death
    Following his father's assassination in 1536, Tokugawa Hirotada (b. 1526) was under the protection of a loyal retainer, Abe Sadayoshi acting as regent. The regent allied with the Imagawa and with their help installed Hirotada as Daimyo at Okazaki castle in Mikawa. The alliance with the Imagawa brought the Tokugawa into conflict with the Oda clan. Shortly after Hirotada’s coming of age in the Spring of 1545, the Oda daimyo, Nobuhide sent forces into Mikawa province to take the land by force.

The Tokugawa clan had minimal forces and faced certain annihilation. Sadayoshi, with Hirotada’s approval approached the captain of the enemy army. Negotiations were short, the captain and most of his forces joined the Tokugawa clan, decidedly richer than they were before. Now armed with a sizeable force, Hirotada marched to Owari province and was met by Nobuhide just outside Inazawa, the Oda capitol. The two forces were evenly matched but Hirotada started with the high ground and had a few more bowmen. The Oda started the battle with more and better trained spearmen, but by the time the reached the hill’s crest, the Oda yari ashigaru had been severely whittled down in numbers and the Tokugawa now had the numerical advantage. Just as the Oda forces were about to rout, Nobuhide and his trusted general charged their horses into battle. The gambit nearly worked, but the Tokugawa forces had simply killed too many men. Nobuhide was struck down by a common ashigaru.

The Oda would have their revenge, however, as a stray arrow managed to find its way to Hirotada, hitting him directly in the throat. He was killed almost instantly

From “The Patient Falcon” by Kazu-ko

Tatsuko looked up from her soup as soon as she heard the horsemen approaching the castle gate. Her hearing was most acute, though she went to great lengths to hide this fact, and she could tell instantly from the captain’s order to open the gate that something was very wrong. “Meiko,” she called to her attendant, “bring Ieyasu to me immediately.” The attendant hurried off. Tatsuko had been the daimyo’s wife for only three years, but she had paid close attention to all the rumors and discussions of war with the Oda, though always feigning disinterest, as her mother had taught her. Her mind began to plot her next moves. Clearly the horsemen were messengers and their tone carried a hint of panic but not of immediate danger, so the Oda were clearly not on the castle’s doorstep. There was only one possible explanation for the horseman’s panic.

Meiko arrived with young Ieyasu just ahead of the messenger and the Daimyo’s most trusted minister, Abe Sadayoshi entrance to dining hall. As soon as the pair arrived, Tatsuko and her attendant bowed reverently to the young boy. “My lord and master,” she said, “I am your most humble servant and will protect you with my life, for you now are the honorable Lord of our clan.” Sadayoshi’s face went white as he and the messenger followed suit. Tatsuko observed this and allowed a brief smile. Her mind continued to plot. She had a lot of work to do.

Last edited by jpops0702; October 05, 2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Chapter Update

Default Re: Rise of the Tokugawa

Good luck with this AAR!
    Looks like your not the hotest player on the forums, having lost the general. However, this should turn out to be good thing as with chances of losing it will have real suspense, unlike some AAR's which you know will always end in victory.
    Try and capture screenshots of later battles and you can record battles and go over them if you forget.
    Again good look with the AAR.
    Veni, vidi, edi, I facile amittitur - i came, i saw, i ate, i lost on easy

I'm special with a capial Q

Quote Originally Posted by doddydad View Post
    Good luck with this AAR!
    Looks like your not the hotest player on the forums, having lost the general. However, this should turn out to be good thing as with chances of losing it will have real suspense, unlike some AAR's which you know will always end in victory.
    Try and capture screenshots of later battles and you can record battles and go over them if you forget.
    Hirotada isn't in the game. There's a bit of photoshopping going on - although Ieyasu was the first to use the Tokugawa name. Hirotada was a Matsudaira

Interesting start to the AAR. Look forward to seeing more chapters!
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Thanks for your comments!

Hehe, poor Hirotada got sent on a rather suicidal mission. I killed him because he did die early in history (1549 of natural causes) and I wanted to play for an extended period with a regent as daimyo, for plot reasons. I don't have the greatest computer so battle pics will be a bit sparse in this AAR, I plan on focusing pics around maps and period art.

Hirotada isn't in the game. There's a bit of photoshopping going on - although Ieyasu was the first to use the Tokugawa name. Hirotada was a Matsudaira
    No photoshopping, other than cutting backgrounds from the announcement pics, the clan summary is exactly as in game. I know that Ieyasu (born Matsudaira Takechiyo) was the first to use Tokugawa, I'm going to use the Tokugawa name to avoid confusion (one of my generals is a Matsudaira for example). Robinzx, your Takeda AAR is brilliant by the way, so thanks very much for commenting on my little prelude.

I hope to post an update very soon, keep posted.

Good luck, will follow this one as the Tokugawa are one of my favourite factions. Even considered doing an AAR on them myself
    "Kings lose crowns, Teachers stay intelligent."

"Dancing Days are here again" A short Shogun 2 AAR

Default Rise of the Tokugawa, Vol 1, Chapter 1

Chapter 1
    Consolidating Power

1545-1548:
    Following Hirotada’s death, control of the Tokugawa Clan technically fell upon Hirotada’s heir Ieyasu. But as he was just two years old at the time, real power lay with his regent, Hirotada’s young wife Tatsuko. This did not sit well with Abe Sadayoshi, who had worked hard to cement his protégé’s position as Daimyo, as well as further his own interests. The marriage between Tatsuko and Hirotada had been arranged before Sadayoshi had arrived on the scene, and thus he had no control over the quiet and pretty nineteen year-old regent.

While machinations were in motion back in Mikawa, Hirotada’s most trusted lieutenant Matsudaira Hidenaga took the remains of the Tokugawa army and lay siege on the Oda capitol of Inazawa. Most of the Oda forces had been committed in the battle against the Tokugawa, and so the fort was poorly garrisoned and fell easily.

Owari was a small province, but its farms were rich, and there was a fine harbor nearby, that with a little effort could be turned into a bustling trading port. The neighboring province to the West was held by the Saito, with whom the Tokugawa had excellent relations. To the south was the Kitabatake, former allies of the Oda, but they were weak and at war with the far more powerful Hattori clan.

Back in Mikawa, Tatsuko solidified her position by focusing on building a strong military and investing in infrastructure upgrades. The influx of additional wealth from the captured Owari province provided much of the funds for these expenditures and proved to be a source of conflict between Sadayoshi, who controlled many of the retainers and exerted strong influence on the council, and the regent who had control of the military.
    Tatsuko made two key appointments that helped further consolidate her power and diminish Sadayoshi’s control. The first was Matsudaira Hidenaga, commander of the bulk of the Tokugawa army now garrisoned in Owari province, was named Commissioner of Warfare. For Commissioner of Finance she named the son of an influential retainer (and a nemesis of Sadayoshi) Okubo Takasuke. From Hidenaga she could control the recruitment and deployment of military forces (especially her and Ieyasu’s personal guard). And from Takasuke she controlled the purse strings of the Clan. These two men would prove to be most loyal to Tatsuko and solidified her position as regent, and guaranteed that Ieyasu would grow up to be the leader of the Tokugawa clan.

Matsudaira Hidenaga paced nervously in the Lady Tatsuko’s sitting room. What on earth had he been summoned for? Jiro, his trusted aide and boyhood friend, had informed him of the various rumors floating about regarding power struggles and delicate situations. The death of a clan leader was always a dangerous time, especially for Generals. Clearly he was being called upon to choose a side. But which side should he choose? If he gambled on the wrong faction, the penalty would be very high indeed.

Lady Tatsuko’s attendant Meiko came out to the sitting room. “Lady Tatsuko will see you now. Please go inside.” Hidenaga complied and walked into her chambers.

Lady Tatsuko was a very pretty young woman. Not beautiful, simply pretty. She was wearing a simple white silk kimono. Her hair was down and parted in the middle. The thirty-one year old Hidenaga mentally remarked just how young the regent really looked. Tatsuko returned the gaze and observed Hidenaga. He was not especially handsome or tall, but his frame was clearly quite muscular even hidden by his armor. He had shaved recently, most likely just before this meeting, and she noted that thankfully he had bathed for the occasion as well.

“Our Lord and Master wishes to thank you for your recent victory over the Oda and your efforts to secure the Owari province.” She took a modest bow, and added, “for this he wishes to name you Commissioner for Warfare and Chief Commander of the Tokugawa Armies.”

Hidenaga returned the bow. “Thank you, my lady.” Tatsuko noted immediately he had not accepted the position.

“As Commissioner for Warfare I would like to personally implore you assign a contingent of your best men to serve as guards for our young Lord as I fear for his safety.” Hidenaga did not answer but instead shifted ever so slightly to the other foot. “General, it appears you have been injured!”

This took Hidenaga by surprise. He had not been injured, and the minor bruises he’d taken in his recent battles had healed long ago. “I assure you my lady, I am not injured.”

“I am most certain of it, you are injured. Please remove your armor and clothing so that I may ascertain the extent of your injuries.” This stunned Hidenaga, as the meeting had taken a very unexpected turn. “Uh…” he started, but Tatsuko had closed the distance between them very quickly and he felt the tip of a dagger inserted into a weak section of his armor, piercing his skin slightly. “Commissioner, I must insist.” It was at this point Hidenaga decided that the regent was clearly the right leader for the Tokugawa clan at the time. He complied and removed his armor and clothing. Tatsuko dropped the dagger to the floor and ran her hand gently down his back.

“Now regarding our Lord’s bodyguard unit…”

Several hours later, a most exhausted Hidenaga left Lady Tatsuko’s chambers. In her sitting room was a young man he recognized as another General in the Tokugawa army. He was pacing the room in a similar fashion as Hidenaga had been. Meiko followed shortly behind Hidenaga. “General Okubo, Lady Tatsuko will see you now. Please go inside.” Hidenaga smiled and thought what an interesting time he lived in.

Chapter 2: "The Two-Front War" Coming Soon. Thanks for your comments!
    Last edited by jpops0702; March 02, 2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Updated Layout, change pics

I stand corrected. But it seems you are still engineering situations to make the AAR unique, awesome!
    Veni, vidi, edi, I facile amittitur - i came, i saw, i ate, i lost on easy

I'm special with a capial Q

LOL. I like. Seems you are rather fond of the unexpected

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Chapter 2
    The Two-Front War, part 1

Central Japan, 1549

Abe Sadayoshi lit the Indonesian incense and allowed the pungent smoke to fill his home. He had to admit, the scent was intoxicating and he could see why it fetched such a high price. He also appreciated the irony. The incense did smell very sweet, but underneath, the thin reed was smoldering and would burn out soon. Ever since the regent had sent trade fleets to secure the valuable resource, relations with the Imagawa had smoldered and threatened to destroy the Tokugawa. He had advised the young regent to acquiesce to the Imagawa demands of a majority share of the trade route, but she had refused. Oh what a stubborn foolish girl the regent was!

To make matters worse, Ikkō-ikki rebels had secured Omi province to the south and Mino province to the west and were amassing armies along the western Tokugawa border. If nothing was done, the Tokugawa, like the incense, would burn out and exist only as ash. Sadayoshi had long ago set plans in motion and this meeting was the culmination of his meticulous plots.

Sadayoshi turned quickly at the hushed sounds of knocking at his door. His servant moved quickly to answer the knock. The well-trained servant recognized his master’s protégée Honda Arihiro at once. Arihiro was with another man, and the servant ushered them inside very quickly.

“Master,” Arihiro said in a hushed and somewhat nervous tone, “You surely recognize our friend Iwase Tadanari the esteemed ambassador for the Imagawa.”

Sadayoshi nodded and bowed to the guest. “It is nice to finally see you in person. Your letters have proven to be most intriguing reading.”

The Imagawa ambassador grunted in acknowledgement and allowed a subtle grin. Sadayoshi was pleased. This meant the ambassador brought good news. “My lord has agreed to most of your terms. He will recognize you as regent, provided something suitably awful should happen to the current one,” at this the ambassador allowed for a decidedly less subtle grin to be seen.

“That should not be difficult. One of her attendants recently sought my assistance and in return promised me her assistance in this matter. I’m curious, to what portions of my proposal did your lord not agree to?

“My lord wishes to relieve the Tokugawa of the unnecessary burden of managing the Indonesian trade route. He wonders if the new regent would consider turning the route over to the Imagawa in return for a sizeable personal gift?” The ambassador pulled a good sized coin purse from his robe and held it out to Sadayoshi.

Sadayoshi took the purse and mentally judged the weight. A sizeable “gift” indeed. He put the purse in his robe. “I’m sure our young lord Ieyasu would be relieved to be free of the burden of a difficult trade route.”

Arihiro began to chuckle loudly. Sadayoshi looked at his usually quiet protégée as if he were gazing at a madman. “Oh master,” Arihiro said, still laughing, “you are an old fool.” At this a half dozen men entered Sadayoshi’s home. They were well-armed and easily subdued the Imagawa ambassador, Sadayoshi, and his manservant. Arihiro pulled a stack of letters from his robe and waved them in front of his master’s face. “You were never very good at knowing who to trust to carry your messages.” Sadayoshi looked in horror at all the correspondence to the Imagawa that he’d entrusted to Arihiro. Clearly he’d sent them to the ambassador, but not before his nemesis Tatsuko saw them.

A pretty young woman walked in the room. Sadayoshi recognized her at once as Tsuma, Tatsuko’s attendant. “My lord,” she said sweetly, “I must regret to inform you that I’m unable to assist you in the intrigue we discussed. My lady had ordered me to approach you seeking a favor. She was most pleased that you were willing to help,” Tsuma sighed. “Alas, she has forbid me to take part in your plans. I’m terribly sorry Master Sadayoshi.” She bowed very reverently and left the stunned minister’s home.

Arihiro reached inside Sadayoshi’s robe and took the coin purse. “I think I’ll relieve you of the burden of carrying such a heavy purse.” He turned to the armed men. “Kill them all.”

1549: The Drums of War and Foreign Affairs
    With the acquisition of Indonesian trade routes, war with the Imagawa was inevitable. The Tokugawa were technically vassals of the Imagawa clan and the income from the valuable trade route would allow the Tokugawa to raise a vast army, to which the Imagawa could not allow. Tatsuko refused to bend to the Imagawa demands of a massive tribute, clearly designed to prevent the Tokugawa from becoming an independent power. Her nemesis Sadayoshi attempted a coup with the help of the Imagawa ambassador, and when they were discovered, Tatsuko ordered both of them killed. This caused the Imagawa to declare war on the clan.
    Meanwhile, the Ikkō-ikki rebels had raised significant armies and invaded the neighboring provinces of Omi and Mino. When the Imagawa attacked, the Ikkō-ikki, under the military leadership of Shimozuma Jutsurai, seized the opportunity and declared war on the Tokugawa.
    At the time there were two significant Tokugawa armies. The first was led by Commissioner of Warfare Hidenaga, and was based in Owari province. The second was a smaller force led by Commissioner of Finance Takasuke based in the capital province of Mikawa. Takasuke’s army was particularly vulnerable, as it was primarily meant to be a force for securing Tatsuko’s rule as regent, rather than protection from invasion.

The first part of the Two-Front War was fought in the diplomatic arena. Tatsuko had anticipated such hostilities and had sent envoys to the Hattori and Takeda clans. The Hattori were no friends of the Ikkō-ikki, but held trade agreements with them. Tatsuko proposed a military alliance with the Hattori in return for a five year military access agreement with the Tokugawa. In return, the Hattori would declare war on the Ikkō-ikki. This was accepted and the Tokugawa and Hattori clans became allies against the Ikkō-ikki.

The Takeda clan had been trading with the Tokugawa for some time and were on good relations with their Daimyo, Shingen. The Takeda were, however, allies with the Imagawa but had not yet taken sides in the dispute between their two clans. Tatsuko offered a five year military access agreement with the Takeda in return for breaking their alliance with the Imagawa and declaring war upon them and the Takeda agreed.
    Winter 1549: The Battle for Mikawa
    The Imagawa had amassed the bulk of their forces on the Totomi-Mikawa border in anticipation of hostilities and they made the first move. The Imagawa army reached Okazaki in Mikawa in just a few days, far too soon for Hidenaga’s forces to come to their aid. The Commissioner of Warfare was forced to wait hoping that they would survive the Imagawa onslaught.

The Imigawa surrounded the Tokugawa capital of Okazaki, which at best could be described a fort. The Imagawa split their forces into five groups and approached from the forests surrounding Okazaki.

The northern wall was reached first and Imagawa spearman made a desperate attempt to scale it, while Takasuke diverted most of his men to face them. In the meantime forces attacked from the south and managed to scale the now poorly-defended wall. Meanwhile the Imagawa bowmen split off onto two sides, east and west and fired heavily into the fort.

The Imagawa forces attacking the north wall had been severely decimated by the focused attacks of the Tokugawa, so Takasuke diverted three of his four spearman companies from the north wall to handle the attackers who had managed to breach the southern walls. He ordered all his bowmen to attack the eastern group of Imagawa bowmen, ignoring the western bowmen for the time being.

The tactic worked. The single company of spearmen held the northern walls and a charge by General Takasuke’s bodyguards broke them for good and they fled for the forest. Takasuke’s men did not chase them but instead reinforced his men defending the southern wall. A fierce battle ensued but the Tokugawa forces held on and the southern attackers fled as well.

Takasuke ordered his spearmen to attack the bowman on the western side. Unfortunately his own bowmen were beginning to run out of ammunition, while the Imagawa bowmen kept firing. This severely depleted his infantry, and as they trickled out of the fort, they were easier to pick off. To make matters worse the two Imagawa generals charged into the flanks of his least depleted spearman company. The losses were enormous, nearly half of the men died in the charge, and the ones left were frightened and confused.

Sadly for the Imagawa, additional spearman managed to reach two generals and were able to kill them, though only after many losses on the Tokugawa side. The remaining spearmen drove off the western bowman, but the eastern bowman proved quite difficult. This group included samurai, as opposed to ashigaru, and they managed to hold their own against the badly depleted Tokugawa spearmen forcing most of them retreat. In a last ditch-effort, Takasuke ordered his bowmen, who had long since run out of ammunition, to attack the samurai. They suffered significant losses, but in the end saved the day.

Takasuke’s men chased the Imagawa through the forest, killing most, but some managed to survive and to return back to Totomi. The Battle for Mikawa was a victory for the Tokugawa, but Takasuke’s forces had taken significant losses. It would take some time before they could take on additional Imagawa armies, and in the meantime the Eastern Tokugawa border was very vulnerable.

And to the west, Hidenaga’s forces faced massive armies of rebels. He would have to face them on his own.

Coming Soon: Part 2, The Western Front
    Thanks for your comments!
    Last edited by jpops0702; February 22, 2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Edit Layout

Default Rise of the Tokugawa, Volume I Chapter 2 part 2

Chapter 2
    The Two-Front War, part 2

1550: The Western Front
    After the successful repulsion of the Imagawa forces at Mikawa, Matsudaira Hidenaga crossed the Sakai river and captured the province of Mino. The castle town of Inokuchi was poorly garrisoned and fell easily. The largest Ikkō-ikki army, led by the capable Shimozuma Jutsurai and fresh from victory over the Hattori in Omi province, moved through the forests of Mino and were able to surprise Hidenaga. The walls of the fortress were not yet repaired, so they provided scant protection from the many Ikkō archers.

The Ikkō forces split into 4 groups and approached from all four directions. Luckily for the Tokugawa, Inokuchi was based at the top of a steep hill, and the poorly trained peasants tired easily. Still, when the Ikkō bowman came into range the sky turned nearly black with their arrows. Hidenaga ordered his men into a loose formation to minimize casualties and his men attempted to take whatever cover the badly damaged fort would offer. Despite these efforts, the first Ikkō volley took many lives.

Hidenaga then ordered all but two companies of his bowmen to target the three companies of Ronin Bowmen on the eastern side of the fort. These bowmen focused their fire on a single company, firing feverishly, and with a concerted effort to make their ammunition count. In short order the ronin began to fall very quickly and soon they ran for their lives. As soon as one company broke, the Tokugawa bowmen focused their fire on another company, and the rain of Ikkō arrows began to subside a bit.

General Daisuke’s group was the first to make a move on the fort. When Hidenaga saw this, he ordered his two reserve bowmen companies to focus their fire on the sole company of spearman accompanying the general. The peasants were resolute in their religious beliefs, but sadly, that would not be enough to make up for their lack of training. By the time they reached the broken gates, nearly two of three men had fallen. Jutsurai realized that the battle was turning against him and ordered the men in his group to charge the fort, hoping that they would get there in time to help his comrades.
    The Tokugawa infantry had taken massive losses from Ikkō arrows, but enough still stood to repel Jutsurai’s desperate charge. Hidenaga ordered his best men, yari samurai to attack him. Shimotsuke Jutsurai, a most fearsome and capable samurai, devoted to the Jōdo Shinshu sect of Buddhism, was killed despite his valiant effort. The remaining Ikkō retreated, with the Tokugawa fast on their heels.

Nearly half of the Tokugawa forces had fallen in the close victory, and enough Ikkō forces escaped and combined with another army that was closing in on Inokuchi . Had Jutsurai waited for those reinforcements, victory might have been his. The second assault on Mino came in winter. By then, the fort had been fully repaired and Hidenaga’s forces held their ground and took fewer casualties.

With the bulk of the Ikkō forces decimated in two failed assaults on Inokuchi, Hidenaga ordered his men to march on Omi province the following spring. His closest advisor, Jiro, urged him to wait another season in order to replenish his forces, but he ignored the advice. The gambit paid off as the castle at Otsu was defended by a mere thirty samurai retainers and fell easily in the winter of 1551.

The capture of Omi was a significant boon for the Tokugawa clan. Its farms were very fertile, and the proximity to Kyoto was perfect for keeping an eye on Ashikaga machinations. There was also a remote village located in the mountain range bordering the western shores of Lake Biwa. The inhabitants would come to provide a most useful resource in the Tokugawa Clan’s rise to power.
    The journey across the lake was largely uneventful and allowed Arihiro much reflection. Lady Tatsuko had been most generous after his betrayal of his master, the treacherous Sadayoshi. His appointment as Chief Minister came with many benefits. His new home was very roomy and his table always featured the best delicacies available. As his page rowed the boat, his muscles straining at the effort, Arihiro thought about his less tangible rewards. Yes, fortune was certainly smiling on him these days.
    The boat reached its destination early in the evening, in full moonlight and an envoy was there to meet them. He ushered them to horses and they rode into the mountains. The path through the mountains was extremely winding and rugged and Arihiro knew that there was no way he could find his way back alone. Still, he pondered, this was exactly why Lady Tatsuko rewarded him so well. The journey took the rest of the night and the group arrived at the village just before sunrise. Upon arrival, they were ushered into a hut on the outskirts of the village. As they walked to the hut, Arihiro noticed that they were being watched, even though no one looked at them directly.

The old man inside waited for a long time before he spoke. “I understand you have interest in my students.” His voice was thin and reedy and he looked as ancient as a willow tree. He appeared to be blind or at least he had difficulty seeing, and he apparently was not too found of bathing. “That is wise. Our former Ikkō landlords failed to grasp the power inherent in ninjutsu, and clearly they have suffered for their short sided world view.”

“The Ikkō were hardly more than peasants, and if anyone could understand the power of intrigue, it would be the Tokugawa. Our regent could use your student’s abilities to great effect.” Arihiro paused for a moment to let the old man reflect on his words. “My lady is only concerned that your recruits be of the utmost quality.” The second he finished his sentence, Arihiro heard a strange whistling sound and a curious hollow sound. The old man extended his hands in a flash. Arihiro noticed that in the old man’s left hand was a fan with a dart lodged in it, a curious liquid dripping from its tip. In the old man’s right hand was a wooden spoon with a wicked looking shuriken stuck in it. Three young people, dressed in dark blue robes stepped from the shadows.“Oh, my students will serve you well. You brought gold didn’t you?”

Arihiro laughed heartily, “there was no need for such dramatics, but I must admit, my heart hasn’t raced like this in some time.” Arihiro tossed a very heavy coin purse into the lap of the old man.

The old man laughed back, and began to count the coins inside the purse. “I doubt that. Your page appears to be most fit.”

“Old man, I can see that my lady will be most pleased with your students.”

Chapter 2 part 3 coming soon

Last edited by jpops0702; March 02, 2012 at 02:22 PM.

I'm loving the intrigue you're adding to the campaign with your Lady Tatsuko and her cast of cronies. With a picture like that I seriously thought the old sensei was going to kill Arihiro for not bringing enough coin or something

Default Chapter 2 part 3

Chapter 2: The Two-Front War, part 3
    Ignominious Ends

1551: The Eastern Front
    After Imagawa forces nearly overran Mikawa, Commissioner of Finance Takasuke had to assemble an army very quickly in order to bolster his badly depleted forces. Every able-bodied peasant in Mikawa and Owari that could be spared was conscripted and trained in the basic arts of warfare. Takasuke knew that these inexperienced farmers would not hold against seasoned veterans and well-armed samurai, but he hoped that numbers and speed in which the army was assembled would win the day. In just one year, he’d succeeded in swelling his force from a mere two hundred men into one of nearly eighteen hundred. The Imagawa preferred to rely on samurai, but assembling enough samurai proved very time consuming and by the time Tokugawa forces reached their borders they had not been able to recruit enough men. Sadly, Takasuke did not live to see his achievement fully realized, as he died from pneumonia on the march to Totomi province. His most trusted lieutenant Ii Takachika was promoted in his place, and Lady Tatsuko confirmed his appointment as Finance Commissioner.

Tokugawa troops arrived at Hamamatsu castle in the late spring of 1551 and found it garrisoned by minimal forces and it fell easily.

Tokugawa Troops approach from two sides.

With so few troops the Imagawa fall easily.

The castle town included a fine yari dojo and stables, but Lady Tatsuko’s orders were very clear: all captured provinces must include a basic financial structure, such as a market. Sadly, Hamamatsu castle was just a bit too small for all three, so the yari dojo had to come down. Takachika felt that the need for Tokugawa cavalry outweighed the training of spear-armed samurai. In any case, Takachika spent little time in Totomi province and marched his army towards the Imagawa capital in the late summer of the same year.

The Imagawa General makes a brave stand, in defense of his clan.

Tokugawa archers send a volley to the Imagawa.

Imagawa returning fire.

Into the fire...

Suruga province proved a bit better protected, but the Imagawa were still badly outnumbered. Despite a pitched battle and a heroic effort, the Imagawa capital fell, and the clan was annihilated.

The old Imagawa capital was generally barren of traditional valuable resources such as iron, timber, and stone. But its natural beauty and many hillside retreats attracted many scholars throughout Japan, and as some of the brightest minds settled there permanently, the Tokugawa were enriched by their presence, and most of their most able ministers came from Suruga province. Lady Tatsuko passed on this important lesson to her son: tangible resources buy armies, but knowledge and scholarship ensures that those armies are victorious.

Suruga in springtime

Suruga in winter

1552: The End of the Two-Front War
    The capture of Omi province proved to be end to the Ikkō-ikki rebellion. The province was one of the financial cornerstones of their movement, and its fall left them without badly needed funds. Much of their southern advances were recovered by the Sakai clan, and their northwestern incursions had been repelled by the Takeda. The Ikkō-ikki tried desperately recover Omi province, but were repelled by the forces of Warfare Commissioner Hidenaga. After several triumphant victories, General Hidenaga begged Lady Tatsuko to allow him send his armies into Echizen province to destroy them, but she refused. Lady Tatsuko had little trust in her allies, the Hattori and the Takeda, and wished to keep the bulk of the Tokugawa forces in Omi province to deter the Hattori from attacking from the south, and the Takeda from attacking from the north.

The Ikkō-ikki, on the verge of collapse approached the Tokugawa, seeking peace. Despite the protests from Hidenaga and some of the other members of the clan council, she accepted. The price for the Ikkō-ikki proved too high and as their finances crumbled, they were destroyed by the Takeda a mere two years later.
    For the first time in their history, the Tokugawa were free and at peace. However, peace during the Sengoku period for any clan was always tenuous at best, and they found themselves surrounded by very powerful and ambitious clans. The Hattori to the south, the Takeda to the north and west, and the Hojo to the northeast.

Campaign Screens
    Map

Diplomacy

Arts

The meeting in the council chambers had been the scene of very heated exchanges. Throughout all of this, young Ieyasu did exactly as his mother had carefully instructed. “Observe everything. Most of what men say means nothing. It is how they act, and what is left unsaid that is most important.”

“Lady Tatsuko,” Jiro, General Hidenaga’s most trusted aid and his representative at this meeting, “my master assures the council that he could be at the Ikkō castle in Echizen in a week.”

Lady Tatsuko asked, icily, “and if the Hattori were to attack, how soon would their forces be here, without significant forces to hold them back?” She paused, then added in the same icy tone, “If the Takeda were to march down from their mountain perch in Shinano, how long would our young Lord and master be allowed to live?”

Silence.

Arihiro, the chief minister, was the first to break the silence. “My lady is wise to regard our allies with suspicion; however, General Hidenaga does have a valid point. Echizen province is rich in agriculture and the region is well regarded for their artisans. Capturing it would prove most valuable to our clan financially.”

“I suspect that a large army would be required to maintain order and to eliminate the very devoted followers of that curious religion. Perhaps it would be better if we let another clan take that burden for us. Jiro-san, our scouts have reported that Shingen himself leads an army towards the last remnants of the Ikkō rebellion. How long will it likely take them to take Echizen?”

Jiro pondered the question for some time. “At best three seasons, six would be more likely."

“Very well. Our lord and master has made his decision. Please send in the Ikkō envoy.”

A nervous young man was shown into the council chambers. He could not have been more than a teenager. Lady Tatsuko waited some time before speaking, staring at a point just beyond the young envoy. “Our lord and master, daimyo of our clan, has permitted me, his regent, to accept your offer of peace.” Tatsuko immediately felt relief from the envoy and disappointment from many of the council members.

“I will pass your honorable daimyo’s acceptance to my master.”

“Ah, there is one more provision of which you should inform him,” she responded coldly, never looking at the envoy directly. “We, the Tokugawa clan would feel more secure if your master would demonstrate good faith in our clan by repairing the damage your troops have caused. Further, we require the payment of one-year’s upkeep of the armed forces necessary to protect our border with your clan. Should your master accept, there will be peace between our clans.”
    Lady Tatsuko turned her gaze directly to the envoy. “Of course, should your master refuse, I would be most pleased to deliver his head to our young Lord and master personally. Leave now, and make sure your master responds quickly.”
    Next Update Coming Soon

Chapter 3: The Art of War: Espionage, Assassination, Political Machinations

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    I'm loving the intrigue you're adding to the campaign with your Lady Tatsuko and her cast of cronies. With a picture like that I seriously thought the old sensei was going to kill Arihiro for not bringing enough coin or something
    Thanks! Maybe I should have written in that little plot twist, hehe.

Note to readers: I got a new computer so the campaign is actually a new one, painstakingly re-created (driving me to drink in the process). That is why poor Takasuke died of pneumonia
    Fortunately this was early in the AAR, very little is different from the original. Thanks for all your comments and I'll post another update next week.