Thread: Some suggestions

Default Some suggestions

Hello all, I downloaded this mod a few days ago and these are my observations about the campaign. If these have been reported, then please have patience, I have a headache right now and probably shouldn't be on the computer anyway.

1. The colors for the French and Sicily are very simular. You may want to consider making them more different.

2. The AI appears to be busted for most factions, save the Byzantine empire, the French, and the Moors. Like Sicily for example, has yet to move a single army despite the fact that all the neighboring cities are either lightly defended or not defended at all and I'm 12 years into the game.

3. I'd reconsider the population in most cities. Centuries before the mod is said to take place the population was much higher than during the mod.

4.The selection of units apear to be very limited. I've yet to see more than 2 types of cavalry and like I said earlier, I'm already 12 years into this mod.

5. The financial system might need to be remodeled. I find that by raising a army, it will just about drive you into the negetive in but a few turns.

6. The 0 recuitment turns takes out just about any meaning to strategy from this mod. Simply crushing army after army will no more bring you victory than simply not engaging in a war. What is the point of crushing an enemy army if they can simply re-recruit the exact same army in one or two turns?

Other than that, this mod apears to have potential. I may keep an eye on it to see if it improves in later incarnations. I hope so, because this mod could become one of the beter mods that I've seen for BI.

Take care now, as this will probably the first and the last post in this board until a new version comes out. Have fun y'all. :original:

Dixit ei Iesus ego sum resurrectio et vita qui credit in me et si mortuus fuerit vivet. Et omnis qui vivit et credit in me non morietur in aeternum credis hoc? John XI:XXV, XXVI

Default Re: Some suggestions

If you´ve read some other posts, you´ll have recognized that point 5 is actually a deliberate choice made by the team. If you don´t like it, try drauds inofficial mod, he adds resources and further income-generating buildings which ease the problem a bit.
    As for point 6, I consider the less of a problem than the tech tree, since you hardly need any build-up to gain access to units. That, however, is a deliberate choice of the team as well.
    Life is a sequence of missed opportunities

Shadow_Imperator's Avatar Italo/Aussie hayseed

If I have any qualms myself, I can't play many battles cause they CTD on loading and I find that even on low taxes cities tend to grind to a population growth halt. Farming improvements are needed, and yes I agree, some, and I stress 'some' financial/economic aspects should be adressed.

Plus I find nothing wrong with 0 turn recruitment, winning battles will only drive the looser into population and economic crisis. Indirectly, it still affects the player and all other factions.
    "We are unable to choose the circumstances of our creation, and few of us choose our demise.
    However, as intelligent creatures of freewill, we are gifted, privileged, and so very fortunate; that we are able to choose the manner, in which we choose live". - Me

(If you like my quote or agree with it, you are welcome to add it to your own sig!).
    Under the patronage of Bulgaroctonos - PROTECTOR of the FAITH

The reason for the lack of different troops is mainly because of the type of campaign your playing, Minor Campaign. Even though at this point you cannot play Grand Campaign, this campaign is the bigger singleplayer that leads through all the ages of the Medieval period. So thank you for your comments and suggestions, but alot of them are already being dealt with
    Senatus Populusque Romanus

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Quote Originally Posted by Sword of Brutus
    The reason for the lack of different troops is mainly because of the type of campaign your playing, Minor Campaign. Even though at this point you cannot play Grand Campaign, this campaign is the bigger singleplayer that leads through all the ages of the Medieval period. So thank you for your comments and suggestions, but alot of them are already being dealt with
    That's actually not true, the Grand Campaign and the Minor Campaign are the same.
    However, it is true that a lot more units will be added later on.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman102100
    2. The AI appears to be busted for most factions, save the Byzantine empire, the French, and the Moors. Like Sicily for example, has yet to move a single army despite the fact that all the neighboring cities are either lightly defended or not defended at all and I'm 12 years into the game.
    It's 1099 AD in my Aragon campaign right now, Sicily hasn't conquered anything yet. I played with Sicily for about five years, I found out that they're very hard to play with: the rebels have huge armies and you have almost no economy to raise a full stack.
    In patronicum sub Tacticalwithdrawal
    Brother of Rosacrux redux and Polemides

I guess I'll just use this thread.

First I just have some questions.

Allow Castille to build ships. I doubt you deliberatly took them out for that faction, don't see why you would. And mercenaries? I have yet to encounter them.

And now to my suggestion

Crusaders? Possibly do some scripting that will make crusaders available for a certain prize at certain times, kind of like the client kingdom system that TFT uses IIRC. As an example, you're playing as Castille, you're fighting hard to destroy the muslims in the south. A powerful nobleman from southern France decides he'll fight for glory and God against the Muslims of southern Spain. Then, the advisor would pop up, saying: One group of french feudal knights and two groups of mounted sergeants are preparing to go on a crusade against the infidels in the south, will you accept to fund supplies etc. etc.

These soldiers should know pop up in your Capital. They would have a lower upkeep cost as their pay is paid by the nobleman and the fact that they'll keep all loot they take for themselfes. These units shouldn't be retrainable and they shouldn't pop up all that often, maybe only around historical dates of big crusades.

And now a rant.

What is up with the Byzantine emperor turning muslim? Really ****ed up my empire, and I think it's just a wee-bit unrealistic. I've had many generals converting to Islam, but my Emperor?

EDIT: Oh, and how about making some straits passable by armies? Like Bosphurus, Øresund (Between modern Denmark and Sweden) and Messana? It really helps the AI. For one countries like Denmark, Byzantine Empire and the sicilian normans would have an easier time reinforcing their armies in Sweden, Asia Minor and Italy respectively. It will also make AI invasions more likely. It should be possible to block them with ships, though.
    Last edited by The-Great-Dane; June 05, 2006 at 05:41 PM.

Rome Total Realism forum moderator.

That's actually not true, the Grand Campaign and the Minor Campaign are the same.
    oh opps, maybe I should read more hahaha
    Senatus Populusque Romanus

Quote Originally Posted by The-Great-Dane
    Allow Castille to build ships. I doubt you deliberatly took them out for that faction, don't see why you would. And mercenaries? I have yet to encounter them.
    Yes, you'll get that with the patch
    Crusaders? Possibly do some scripting that will make crusaders available for a certain prize at certain times, kind of like the client kingdom system that TFT uses IIRC. As an example, you're playing as Castille, you're fighting hard to destroy the muslims in the south. A powerful nobleman from southern France decides he'll fight for glory and God against the Muslims of southern Spain. Then, the advisor would pop up, saying: One group of french feudal knights and two groups of mounted sergeants are preparing to go on a crusade against the infidels in the south, will you accept to fund supplies etc. etc.

These soldiers should know pop up in your Capital. They would have a lower upkeep cost as their pay is paid by the nobleman and the fact that they'll keep all loot they take for themselfes. These units shouldn't be retrainable and they shouldn't pop up all that often, maybe only around historical dates of big crusades.
    Something similar to this is planned. I also want to put the crusader faction in, but this probably won't go into the next patch because it's quite a lot of scripting work.
    What is up with the Byzantine emperor turning muslim? Really ****ed up my empire, and I think it's just a wee-bit unrealistic. I've had many generals converting to Islam, but my Emperor?
    Ya, I'm gonna rework the triggers a bit. I thought we'd get a volunteer who could do the trait system and handle this too, but so far no-one turned up
    EDIT: Oh, and how about making some straits passable by armies? Like Bosphurus, Øresund (Between modern Denmark and Sweden) and Messana? It really helps the AI. For one countries like Denmark, Byzantine Empire and the sicilian normans would have an easier time reinforcing their armies in Sweden, Asia Minor and Italy respectively. It will also make AI invasions more likely. It should be possible to block them with ships, though.
    This is being thought about, but it's really Militiaman's department

Is it possible to make it so a factions' debt doesn't go beyond 0 into the negatives? From what I 've seen, once the AI goes into debt they're unable to get themselves out of it. Ex: I gave a gift of 50,000 to the Novgorod and they were still in debt. With that kind of debt they are unable to recruit units in order to defend themselves and it's just a matter of time before they're destroyed. Putting a limit on the amount of debt may make some factions more competative.

Kor Khan's Avatar Semisalis

I'm not sure that's possible (I'm not really the scripting type). However, what should be possible would be to give the AI factions a certain amount of money per year automatically. That would not only make things easier for the AI, but keep the challenge up there for the human player.

Well I guess one could write a script that prevents the AI from going into debt, I just wonder if it'd keep them from building more units if they have money. Guess I gotta test that.

Fresco's Avatar Semisalis

Please,release a patch with lastest awesome units!!!
    CAMPIONI del MONDO!!!!!

Kor Khan's Avatar Semisalis

The patch will be released when it's ready :wink: .