Thread: Pikemen & Firethrowers

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Default Pikemen & Firethrowers

Hello and congratulations on your mod . To the point: On BC 2.3 (Byzantines), why do pikemen look a little scrambled? Shouldn't they be more "formationed"? Shouldn't there be the Greek Firethrower unit present during the era of the mod?. Thanks!

Harith's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Pikemen & Firethrowers

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite of Ilis View Post
    Hello and congratulations on your mod . To the point: On BC 2.3 (Byzantines), why do pikemen look a little scrambled? Shouldn't they be more "formationed"? Shouldn't there be the Greek Firethrower unit present during the era of the mod?. Thanks!
    I cant tell... but em... the unit formation in BC tends to be more loose than other mods. I guess it is historically more accurate... I mean come on.... what are the chances of pikemen movin precisely at the same time during a battle??

The greek fire-thrower isn't included for a probably good reason that I am unaware of.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite of Ilis View Post
    Shouldn't there be the Greek Firethrower unit present during the era of the mod?

Yes and no. Do you really want guys running around like carnival clowns with flamethrowers in such a historically realistic mod? I never played vanilla but I can imagine how stupid they are (and have seen video of the gameplay).

However..... I would fully support the idea of a historically accurate depiction of this in game, it was afterall a very real and oft used defensive art. There should be a couple more fire wielding units all around IMO. See here for mid-late game Ayyubid heavy siege Ghulam for example. Unfortunately I know next to nothing about unit modeling or I'd make it myself.

For the greek fire throwers, there is no question they were used often in sieges (not just on their ships) and even the Hospitallars are recorded using them in siege defense. But not guys running around on the battlefield (yes, there may be some example but that should not be the purpose of the unit). I think a reasonable unit could be made up designed entirely with wall defense in mind -- like a siege weapon but made entirely of men. Tiny units of 10 or so, incredibly slow firing and with the move_speed mod line added in EDU to make sure they can't move, much.

ie:
    Eastern Roman Empire Cheirosiphōnes (I do believe that would be their correct name)
    etc, etc
    soldier Greek_firethrower, 10, 0, 1
    etc, etc
    move_speed_mod 0.1
    Last edited by Dago Red; February 12, 2012 at 12:34 PM.

yes the pikemen are spread out in vanilla, crippling their effectiveness

Quote Originally Posted by nein View Post
    yes the pikemen are spread out in vanilla, crippling their effectiveness
    ur not the first I see with this signature.... is the new mod available.. or under construction??? cuz I cant seem to find a link for it

it's under development, will probably take a long time (maybe a year)

ask borderbero about it, it has a page over in wips and proposals

Quote Originally Posted by nein View Post
    it's under development, will probably take a long time (maybe a year)

ask borderbero about it, it has a page over in wips and proposals
    thanks and good luck