Thread: My biggest gripe with Rule Britannia

Default My biggest gripe with Rule Britannia

Rule Britannia is pretty damn good. It takes my favourite Kingdoms campaign and makes it even better. However, there is one major fault. Contrary to what Braveheart would have you to believe, Scotland wasn't entirely composed of Highlanders. The Highlander units that the make up the entire Scottish faction are historically inaccurate.

Now, this IS, as stated, just making Britannia better, but it would have been very nice to see some historical accuracy.
    Last edited by Aklis; February 11, 2012 at 04:44 PM.

Domesticus

Default Re: My biggest gripe with Rule Britannia

Even though its inaccurate, ive always found it hard to dismiss the Highlanders...they are so badass and awesome, who cares about accuracy?

Im not sure the RB roster, but in Vanilla, I think the armoured Nobles were alright, representing the lowlanders. IIRC, the Lowland Scots were more like the English in dress and all than the Highlanders

AJStoner's Avatar Lord of Entropy

Well, as I have said before, RB is not intended to be a historically accurate mod. There are plenty that aim for accuracy and do a good job of it, RB takes numerous licences in the name of making it a more fun and playable mod, especially regarding units. Early on the decision was made to place the emphasis on maintaining the "feel" of the period and location than to be hyper-accurate.

*MEMBER OF THE HOUSE OF HADER* *UNDER THE CRUEL & MERCILESS PATRONAGE OF y2day*

Domesticus

Hyper accuracy can get kinda annoying and boring. Its like how you cant haz Ireland in Stainless Steel. No, **** that Ireland didnt do much IRL, I dont think Cuman Khanate did anything either.

No Ireland does indeed make Stainless Steel sorta , in my opinion. My second choice France is still there, of course, but yeah.

My biggest gripe with RB is that it doesn't let me conquer Western Europe with Ireland, but 2.0 seems like it will fix some of that problem

Domesticus

Try for SS 6.1, still has Ireland in it. Its just the Kingdoms Britannia Ireland though, with the Welsh Saethwr whatever guys. For some reason.

I had a mild fuss with a guy over wanting to make a submod for Ireland in SS XD Man, ive never heard of anyone playing the Cumans, and only ONCE did they do anything in my game(They tag teams the Keivan Rus with Poland...), but it was just ONCE

I gave Ireland land in England during my Danish campaign in 6.1, and guess who had half of England that I didnt have? Ireland

Edit: Not that I'd remove the Cumans, they are a good buffer against the Mongols, and thats not the point here anyway XD

2.0 having Ireland getting after the west of Europe would be so much <3

And just to ask, why is the smily used for cursing? XD
    Last edited by Mr Kriegtooth; February 12, 2012 at 08:42 PM.

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

My biggest gripe?

Not having enough time to play it.

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kriegtooth View Post
    2.0 having Ireland getting after the west of Europe would be so much <3
    It'll be hilarious fun.

y2day, I know how you feel...

Most of the mods that aim for historical accuracy, make the game unplayable. Why not just read a book about it. Games need to be fun and enjoyable ... not laggy and bland.

Historical Accuracy === all units become identical , with few variances... Almost every culture has spears, swords, archers, horses, just in varying quantities/quality but same basic things.
    RB and m2tw vanilla in general, acknowledges that but still makes the game fun by mixing up factions and giving em uniqueness and playability.

Highlanders could arguably be smaller in number... ie. Highland pikes = redundant. Heavy Pike Militia should of started with mail armor and it's upgrade should be early plate.
    then lowland militia should only upgrade to like... leather padded, or light mail (if heavy pike militia is in heavy mail)

Simply divide Scotland's roster into highland and lowland sections. Highland units can be the special highlander units while lowland units can be more regular medieval units, maybe using custom skins to look more Scottish.

And then limit recruiting these units only in either Highland/Lowland areas so that it will feel more unique to control each region?

Like this idea. Something similar isalready done with a few units. Will incorporate into 1.8.

Restricting Scottish units to either highlands or lowlands will blow because then it will be a nightmare to retrain them. I've always wanted retraining buidlings that provide 0.99 of all units, so that you don't have to micromanage aor units back home just to replenish them. It'll be like in Empire where you can retrain almost anywhere at cost, except here it would just be in settlements.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golog View Post
    Restricting Scottish units to either highlands or lowlands will blow because then it will be a nightmare to retrain them. I've always wanted retraining buidlings that provide 0.99 of all units, so that you don't have to micromanage aor units back home just to replenish them. It'll be like in Empire where you can retrain almost anywhere at cost, except here it would just be in settlements.
    It would be handled this of course. Only the Fianna and a few others will be fully restricted by region regarding retrains.

Quote Originally Posted by AJStoner View Post
    It would be handled this of course. Only the Fianna and a few others will be fully restricted by region regarding retrains.
    Do you mean that there will be easy retraining, or just not many AOR? Either way, sounds good.

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

I personally LOVE that this mod leave the Highlander Scottish in. I understand that historically they were more like England's roster, but seriously if we're going by history then all the factions should have like 6 crappy units and 1 good Knight unit. I like this MUCH better, no matter if some history buffs think that bland is good.

Halley_91's Avatar Laetus

true accuracy is good to a certain degree but not to base everything on it, just some of those unique highlander models shouldn't be changed but should have new ug models to keep the Celtic theme in play

Historical gaming is down to user taste, some people want accuracy running all the way through. Personally I love historical accuracy up to the point of starting the game where you can change/alter history.