Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Submod] New Faction Skins

Deska140's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: [Submod] New Faction Skins

Yes you did Prophet , now it is much more enjoyable to play.
    It is always better to see for example House Arryn in it's full might than imaging Portugal being the Arryns

just the sorta spice iv been looking for thanks Prophet!

I started playing around with this a bit. A little problem, but I'm not sure if it's this mod or vanilla that's doing it: the Lannisters don't seem to be able to recruit their armoured sergeants. No such problem with the Tyrells.
    Isn't it enough to see that a fire is bright and beautiful without having to believe that the night is dark and full of terrors too? ~ Douglas Adamsish

Prophet1331's Avatar Ducenarius

The files I uploaded are just the skins units use plus a file which connects the skins with the units. Basically the only problem that could appear would be if some units appear silvery and without skins. The files don't affect in any way recruitment or anything else.
    Some battles are won with swords and spears, others with quills and ravens. Tywin Lannister

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

Well, this is a great submod, it makes the waiting less hard,
    I had to bump it, as many did not know that it existed!,
    So keep the rep coming for Prophet, he deserves it

jomas's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Prophet1331 View Post
    The files I uploaded are just the skins units use plus a file which connects the skins with the units. Basically the only problem that could appear would be if some units appear silvery and without skins. The files don't affect in any way recruitment or anything else.
    Is there any reason they do that?
    I'm guessing it just needs to be re-installed, or are there some units that just don't have skins?

The silver skins?
    Lets say you play Stannis and just added a new unit to the faction. It will have the silver skin because you forgot to add the entry about what skins that unit has for the Stannis faction. The skin might be made, but you have to specify in the battle_models file that the unit will use that skin for Stannis. That's the reason you might have the silver skins.

If you have an entry in the battle_models file about a unit but forgot to add the skin you will probably get an error that will crash the game at start.
    Some battles are won with swords and spears, others with quills and ravens. Tywin Lannister

Rather than starting two new separate topics in the forum and use space I decided to recycle this old one for what I have to say

1. Here is an archive with portraits for characters for anyone to use in their submods or personal versions. They're basically small tga pictures of faces from different ASOIAF artwork found around the internet. The only issue is that some don't have the grey version (for dead characters). If anyone wants to use them feel free to download them. I used them in order to give all characters/generals in the enhanced submod version I downloaded a custom portrait. I also tried to make culture portraits for the North, the South, the Iron Isles and Dorne so you wouldn't get the vanilla portraits anymore in game. Feel free to use them

http://www.mediafire.com/?0qec0uytchvc7wp

2. I got this idea for a long time but I only thought about this in a serious manner in recent days. I would like to know people's opinions on a new submod idea.
    Basically the idea is that of a parallel universe Westeros, where the story around the war of the Usurper is somewhat distorted with different characters and other ruling houses.

Background Story:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The ruling houses are replaced with other smaller houses mentioned in the books so the map would look different:

The North: House Bolton came to rule the North by using their power to defeat the Starks somewhere along the line. Now they are the rulers of the North and the Starks are their unruly bannermen. They are proud and malevolent and would act in-game similar to how the Greyjoys did, namely try by every means to break away from the Iron Throne and have their own independent kingdom in the North.

The Iron Isles: House Greyjoy failed along the line in history and while still remaining powerful vassals, they are not in charge of the Islands anymore. The lordship of the Isles passes down to House Harlaw. A proud and old hose, they realized (like old Rodrik the Reader in the books) that the Old Way is mostly dead, and the Iron Isles cannot bring back the old glory days of reaping and doing whatever they want. However they are not push-overs and they would support anyone who could help them grow and expand the Iron Isles' influence in Westeros. In-game they would work as house Tyrell, being important allies to whoever helps them expand their influence and power.

The Riverlands: House Tully's failed attempts to gain power left them as bannermen, not lords of the Riverlands. House Frey managed to maneuver itself in power through political scheming. As a result the Riverland faction is not a honorable faction, but rather a wealthy faction (due to having fertile lands) and important political player in Westeros, with ambitions to create ties between them and the Iron Throne (again similar to the Tyrell agenda).

The Vale: The best house I thought to take over the region from House Arryn is House Royce. They are an old and honorable house and would be similar to House Stark. They have been wronged by the crown and now they stand at a cross roads; either to protect their honor and war with the crown to gain justice or should they honor their vows and remain loyal after everything that has happened to them.

The Westerlands: Something went wrong in history and House Lannister is nothing more than a memory now. The rightful rulers of the wealthy Westerlands are now House Reyne. An old and honorable house they are now living hard times as the house's family members have dwindled to just a few. While they do command many men and have the wealth of the Westerlands behind them, their lord lacks decisiveness and he is unsure which side to chose in order no to chose the wrong side. The faction should act like the Arryns in the regular game.

The Crown: House Targaryen fell some time ago and the Blackfyres are in control now. They reigned pretty well for some time until the current events. In a reverse twist the King is good and kind with his people, always striving to do the right and honorable thing. Unfortunately he only has one male heir to continue the line of Blackfyre kings, and the prince's soul is as black as the family's crest. He is ruthless, merciless, enjoys to torture someone once in a while and has developed a liking for fire and the religion of R'hllor. His latest evil act was the rape/kidnapping (anyone will do) of the daughter of house Royce when the wedding between her and a member of house Florent was announced . Because of this latest abuse of power more and more nobles are questioning their allegiance to this future king and the seeds of rebellion are planted in the kingdom. The king himself is old and there are slim chances that he will have another son, even though he has two daughters already. The king is torn between keeping the honor of the family by exiling his only son, and hope for a new son or that the lords would remain loyal to a queen or defend his son in hopes age will reduce the madness in him.

The Reach: House Florent took the leadership of the Reach after the fall of House Gardener. House Tyrell although they are bannermen to the Florents, conspire continuously to take advantage of any Florent mistake in order to gain the leadership of the Reach. House Florent is on the brink of declaring war on the crown seeing as the Florent heir's future wife was kidnapped/raped by the heir to the Crown. House Florent is proud and is unlikely to forget such a slight of leave it without seeking for revenge and justice.

The Stormlands: Since the Blackfyres took control of the Throne in the past, there were many feuds for power in the Stormlands. The area itself was not very wealthy or fertile so the crown did not interfere with the feuds directly and decided to let them take their course, since whoever won them would be too weak to oppose their rule anyway. The struggle's outcome was House Connington becoming the most powerful house in the area and consequently the lords of the Stormlands while the Baratheons were driven near defeat and are now nothing more than a small house of landed knights. House Connington now desire to consolidate it's place on the political stage of Westeros. They plan to marry one of lord Connington's daughters to the prince or one of his sons to a princess. While not commanding extensive armies they do command experienced men.

Dorne: House Yronwood reigns supreme in the the area after fending off every Martell attempt to dispute their rule. While not as ambitious as the other ruling houses, the Yronwoods would not let the opportunity of expanding their influence outside the borders of Dorne pass by. They enjoyed a long lasting friendship with the Crown for many years. This culminated in the marriage of lord Yronwood's father with a Blackfyre princess. As a result lord Yronwood has king blood running through his veins. The question is will lord Yronwood honor the old friendship with the throne in the coming conflict or will he use his king blood to take advantage of the discontent lords in the Reach and the Vale and make them support him as the rightful king of Westeros and overthrow his Blackfyre cousin.

The best thing about this submod will be it's simplicity as there is no need for new factions or regions, and most characters/generals could be kept with only some editing being done on their names and biographies and there are no spoilers for the books in the submod. The sumbod itself would try and give freedom of choice for every player so you can make the (alternative) history you want to.

I can reskin the factions easily enough as well as changing the banners. I didn't experiment with faction symbols and faction colors on the map before though I could give it a try. I can also help with custom portraits (seeing all the ones I already have) and biographies.

The only areas in which I have little to no experience is in renaming the factions and renaming and placing characters on the map. I'm not sure how to do that. I don't think new scripts are necessary, only switching which factions can claim kingship and independence.

This is just an idea for a submod for now and I would like to hear your opinions on it. Perhaps if people like it enough and would be willing to help out with the things I'm not good at it could evolve from an idea into an actual functioning submod.

Oh and sorry for the double post.

Тhats a great idea, it became boring to play with the same factions, I can help with the mod, beofe i changed the faction names and changing the charapters so I can try to do somthing

Uriyaca's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Wow! Love the submod! Will download it asap

I would suggest that you actually send the files to the Enhanced or YB version submods, and they include your work as a new version of the submod!

And the alternate faction submods idea is nice, but I think the idea is a bit wierd

Also, all the portraits look great. Would you perhaps mind to send your descr_strat and your portraits folder whole so that we could easily install your portraits to the game?
    Cause although the pictures are great, we can't implement them ingame
    thanks
    Last edited by Uriyaca; February 26, 2013 at 08:48 AM.

Eoghan Wolfkin's Avatar Civis

I agree, that submod does indeed sound great. If you need any help, I'd more than happy to help.

Also, all the portraits look great. Would you perhaps mind to send your descr_strat and your portraits folder whole so that we could easily install your portraits to the game?
    Cause although the pictures are great, we can't implement them ingame
    thanks
    Here is the custom portraits folder

http://www.mediafire.com/?1yn6f3ln951r9p9

And here is the descr_strat file

http://www.mediafire.com/?sz36zlf3num1gkj

However, bear in mind that I intended only to release the portraits as a resource for people. The connection between portraits and characters is done in the way I imagined the characters should/would look like so they don't necessarily fit the character's description from the books.

Also I didn't add the files that deal with replacing the vanilla portraits (that appear when a general is recruited or character comes of age) because I don't remember which were the files I edited in order to make that happen. I remember having to fiddle with several files in order to allow the north to have different normal portraits than the south and had to make a separate culture group for the Ironborn (like there is in KoRaH). As soon as I sort everything out I'll upload the files here in case anybody wants them.

hackera96
    Тhats a great idea, it became boring to play with the same factions, I can help with the mod, beofe i changed the faction names and changing the charapters so I can try to do somthing
    If you could replace the faction names from the regular ones into the ones I came up with (from Lannister to Reyne, Stark to Bolton, Tyrell to Florent etc) and send the files to me, that would be perfect .

In unrelated news, I did some work on the submod idea. There already are skins for half the factions and I just finished House Connington and House Reyne

The Red Lions

The Griffin Lords

The flags will be next on the list after I finish reskinning the other factions and then I'll deal with the campaign menu, other visuals, then descriptions and finally map tweaks and characters. It's a long shot but this idea could become a playable submod eventually.

Eoghan Wolfkin's Avatar Civis

Nice +rep to you sir

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Thanks on the portraits! so we just replace those two folders with the ones in the game and we get portraits for all of the characters?
    Did you replace any portraits from characters who already have portraits? I think you should leave the already portraited characters as they are

On the submod thing, the skins look great! Now that I think of it, what would you think about creating a submod of the Rains of Castamere? That could be great, 2 playable factions with only a map of the Westerlands. That could be real awesome.......

The skins are awesome Prophet! . Also the Enhanced skins are awesome as well

Quote Originally Posted by uriyaca View Post
    Thanks on the portraits! so we just replace those two folders with the ones in the game and we get portraits for all of the characters?
    Did you replace any portraits from characters who already have portraits? I think you should leave the already portraited characters as they are

On the submod thing, the skins look great! Now that I think of it, what would you think about creating a submod of the Rains of Castamere? That could be great, 2 playable factions with only a map of the Westerlands. That could be real awesome.......

The skins are awesome Prophet! . Also the Enhanced skins are awesome as well
    Copy and replace and it should work as long as you copy on the regular enhanced version. (I'm not sure if it would work with youngbloods version). I did replace a few portraits, namely Tyrion, Jaime and Bran (who now look more similar to the TV series version). If you don't want to replace them then delete the Tyrion, Jaime and Bran folders in the archive and then copy it into your mod folder. Or you could copy each portrait folder from the archive into the custom portraits folder separately and skip overwriting the existing ones.

Well now there are skins for both Lannister and Reyne factions, so the only big issue is making a large, detailed Westerlands map. If you want it lore-wise just make a Lannister and Reyne faction or you could go on and add a few more big houses from the Westerlands and make it one big power struggle. It's possible but there's allot of work needed.

House Royce

On a side note this new forum version is kind of annoying.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Ya, we can't see any of the pics . Photobucket sucks

I use another site, forgot its name but it is really awesome . Imago I think.... I'll get back to you

Edit: ah, it's Imgur . Check it out
    http://www.google.co.il/url?sa=t&sou...bWVLkX0Zo-PIDQ
    Last edited by Uriyaca; February 28, 2013 at 01:28 AM.

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros
    Gaming Emeritus

Wow very nice work Prophet! Very good submod idea, I would love to play in a hotseat as House Reyne or House Royce.

If you need help just ask, you have been a great help to me with the Korah submod and I would gladly return it.

I can't see all the pics nor see your signature, I think you have uploaded too many files on photobucket, now we can only see them if you become a paid member.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Thanks Prophet! I loved the Bran portrait, but kept the Tyrion and Jaime ones as they are
    awesome, I just love all your work . Keep up with all the awesome gifts you keep giving us

Edit: seriously, it is really incredible. There is a portrait for every frickin general, it's awesome!
    Last edited by Uriyaca; February 28, 2013 at 01:44 PM.

So the submod is going along nicely so far, almost finished the reskinning (only some shield editing is left and the Blackfyre skins)and the banners are ready. With a little luck all the graphic stuff will be done by the end of the week.

@uriyaca thanks for the link, now I can show off some screenshots until the photobucket issue is resolved.

Dux is helping me with the characters, and with his expertise the submod can get some hidden family trees which should allow you (the players, if there will be any) to shape the world as you want (for instance killing all the Florents and put either the Tyrells or Hightowers in charge of the Reach) .

However I still need a some help with mapping and coding. I need someone to modify the map, in order to get some settlements in and others tweaked in order to fit in the storyling, and someone to edit the AI and the kingship scripts (not sure how one could do this), so the computer will be more likely to attack or to befriend a certain faction. Anyone willing to help ?

is this mod, save game compatible

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast