Thread: The Conundrum of the French Empire

Lord Agelmar's Avatar Tiro

Default The Conundrum of the French Empire

Well, Ive been playing as France for nearly 30 years now. I have booted England off mainland Europe, consolidated the old HRE, started the annexation of Southern France, Denmark and Northern Italy. Here is the problem: Money is very tight, so supporting the armies of France is very difficult. I have also just gone to war with the mighty Byzantines who are exploding out of the Balkans and Asia Minor. I could repel the Byzantines but Poland, Bohemia and Hungary are still alive. Should I deal with these smaller nations first so they cant backstab me or go straight for the larger problem of Byzantium?
    "We've made the ferryman wait this long, lets make him wait a little longer."
    "The Legions will not fail you, do not fail them." Roma Mod

Default Re: The Conundrum of the French Empire

Can you hold off the byzantines?

If so, go with the smaller nations - You would be able to encircle the byzantines and in the process, gain some new territory for funds. If you can't hold off the byzantines, then it may be smarter to go for them first.

I would wonder if you shouldn't seize the whole of italy first, and prepare marine invasions of greece instead of going through the balkans towards them.

Yeah, I think I can hold off Byzantium for now. They have lots of infintry but it is of mostly lower quality. Im thinking just going ahead and dealing with Bohemia and Poland and such is a good idea. Unfortunatly the Muslim faction in Spain is beating the crap out of Castille and Aragon. A new Charles Martel might have to step up and push them back to Africa, but hopefully the other problems will be delt with.

Fund's are a difficulty, but you could A) Build a ship in the western coasts of france or england, sail it down to north africa or southern spain and take a muslim city or two and turn them over to a spanish faction, or see if you can get the ability to walk in the spanish land and just help them defeat the muslim armies.

Aragon, several rebel kingdoms and whats left of Castille is actually holding the Almohads back in Spain. I would rather keep the Spanish as a weak buffer than actually help them.

Ive almost managed to deal with the main Byzantium threat and I control almost all of Italy. Things are going quite well and the nobles of the lands France conquers gladly fight under her banner. Several French armies have gold chevrons. It will be interesting if I can set up a kingdom in the holy land (considering there is no Jerusalem).

militiaman's Avatar GEWar TWC Alliance!

Sounds good. Exactly how were the Byzantines threatening you empire? A mini-map please, your game sounds very interesting :original:

Under the Patronage of Basileos Leandros I, who is under the patronage of Kscott, who is under the patronage of Lord Rahl, who is under the patronage of MadBurgerMaker, who is under the patronage of genghis khan, who is under the patronage of GodEmporer Nicholas