Thread: How far ahead do you play?

Default How far ahead do you play?

I know it's different for everyone, but I was seeing if I could get some input about how many turns ahead you guys like to play before you post a new chapter (and why it works for you)

Default Re: How far ahead do you play?

I am usually 2-3 turns ahead of the writing. This works for me since I still remember in detail what happened, which is especially important for the screenshots. I actually stop playing if I can't write fast enough. However, it also depends on your style: I tend to merge turns into one post, and even reorder them to fit the plot line. If I had too many, I could get lost in the plot.

The drawback of this is that you won't know what the game will throw at you if you are only 2-3 turns ahead, so if you put the emphasis on the plot it can give you some surprises.

Also, at the beginning of the game you can run a bit more turns ahead in playing as there is less stuff happening. After turn 100 or so, things get fairly complex so it makes sense not to put much distance between the game and the writing.

Stívarđr Reynitré's Avatar Domesticus

Intriguing topic.

I've always wanted to gauge this from fellow AARtists...

Oxode's Avatar Tiro
    Mississauga,Ontario,Canada,North America,Atmosphere,Earth,Milky Way Galaxy

For me I play 3 - 7 Turns ahead, this system worked really well for me in my RSII AAR.

For example in my RSII AAR, Hannibal's wife had a baby 4 turns after a huge battle, so when Hannibal rode off to battle, I incorporated this so as Hannibal left for battle, his wife Athaia would want to tell him of her pregnancy. The system won't work all the time, but when it does, it gives you a good piece of the story that makes sense.

Usually 3-5 turns ahead. When I have a particularly strong storyline going and the campaign does something that mucks it up I've been known to replay a few turns. That said I take pretty serious liberties with the plot versus what's going on in campaign anyway so..
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

I write it as I go. Steam web browser is very useful, though it is quite slow.

ReD_OcToBeR's Avatar Senator

I suppose it depends on what you are after and are ready for. If you want control and already have an idea on how your story will be laid out, then most likely it'll be quite a few turns, or many years ahead of your posts. This is usually what I do or did rather, because sometimes there were things that happened which really caused problems. i.e the death of someone. Recently I tried doing a turn by turn basis. I started the story roughly 20 years in, but played the game 3- 4 turns ahead of posts to have that ever so slight grip of control on the story. Sometimes I would mix turns up and pretend they happened when written. All in all, AARs are all about timing. If you don't get what you need in three turns, play another three or four etc.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Although I always plan to be a few turns ahead, I end up writing out the next update, going over it, and then posting all on the same night. Works alright, but if it's a big update then it takes ages, however it means you have to deal with surprises straight away - something I like though other might not.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE