Thread: The Worlds of the Swordofjanak

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Doki Doki no Waku Waku
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Default The Worlds of the Swordofjanak

Yes I know that is not my username but it used to be and might be again.
    This where I shall post my previous TOTWs and other writings. Most of the writings will deal with my conworld: Gaiisha. Please don't try to steal any of it. However feel free to comment and critque on it as brutal as you like.
    I have added a few things to the story titles. In parentheses you will find out the setting of each story. In the parentheses you have ( x ; y ; z ). X is the age the story takes place. Y is the year, if available, that the story takes place. Z is the war the story takes place in.
    TOTW Works
    Walk on the Beach (Age of Chaos)
    In the morning, he decided to walk into the Frankian Sand Dunes. He decided against wearing his armor, instead he would wear his normal travelling clothes. The route he took brought him to the location of the battle that had occurred yesterday. It was a shame that there was no morning mist, for he saw an image that he did not want to see. In front of him lay the corpses of the defeated Saracian army, behind the main group of corpses lay a trail of corpses that ended at the ocean where the remnants of the Saracian army tried to flee the Southern Strip and go back to the Saracian Empire. He stared at the corpses for a minute, and thought to himself, I think today would be appropriate for our Frankian allies and my Janakans to dig these poor souls a grave, well at least a mass grave.

He then walked towards the group of dead soldiers; he stopped about a foot away from the nearest corpse. “What a pointless way to end one’s life.” he muttered. He looked out at the ocean, whose depths were impossible to comprehend much less how long east the ocean extended. It is hard to imagine that just across the ocean is the land where he and his people had originated from, that though was millennia ago. He turned his to the north, where across the Strip Sea lay the Northern Strip, inhabited by the Saracian Empire, the Grocan city-states, the Turkaran Confederation, the Perseean Empire along with many other kingdoms and city-states. Is the path that I am taking my…no not just my people but all the people of Gaiisha; is this the right path? he thought. Will this path of constant warfare lead to a better world? A world filled with happiness? A world where the level of predictability is much higher? No. I must stop doubting myself. In a flash he had an epiphany. He now realized that his future was not in following his men across the sea to attack the Saracian Empire. His responsibility lay back at the capital, where he and his advisers would set up the documents that would ensure the protection of the Empire from internal events, events such as corrupt or weak Emperors. The people of the Empire are not supposed to fear their Emperors but to love them. The Emperors are to represent the core ideals of what the Empire is founded on; they are not to represent their own ideals. The documents that he will write will make sure that the Empire will be eternal. He decided that he would do this after the army left for the port city of Valloix.

“My Emperor, the King of Salons requests your presence.” A man said, who appeared out of nowhere.

The Emperor nodded and turned around to go where he was needed; Belis Arius, the First Immortal Emperor walked towards his destiny and the future of the Empire.

An Optimistic Proposition (Age of Empires)
    Chief Omar, yesterday was the eighth battle this month over the foraging grounds. About half a dozen of our people lost their lives; a dozen are wounded and might die of their wounds. At this rate the Quadram Tribe and our tribe will battle each other until we are all dead.

From what I understand about the situation this crisis over food supplies is not just a local problem, but one that is afflicting almost all of the other mountainous tribes. As such, we should not be fighting each other, but instead come together to decide on how we, the various mountainous tribes, are to handle this problem. I recommend that on the day of the next full moon we should hold a council with a representative of as many tribes as possible to decide what we need to do. There will not be a cloud in the sky tonight, and most likely not tomorrow night; so once you read this you should with all haste have a messenger prepared to leave and bring news of these important matters to our neighbors.

It has recently crossed my mind that the Saracian Empire, at the edge of the mountains to the south of us, is overstretched. My recent interactions with the trade caravans that travel through the Solodh Pass have awarded me with information on what is happening in the south. South of the mountainous ridge in which we live, lies the Saracian Empire and no other kingdom to challenge their power. From the sea to the west to the sea in the east, to the sea in the south and to the mountainous ridge; these are the borders of the Saracian Empire. As you know, the size of that the Saracian Empire must be is enormous and unimaginable; it is a size that none of us thought possible.

What I suggest is a coordinated raid on the Saracian Empire. At this point few would dare cross the Saracian Empire, and if our tribe as well as the other mountainous tribes raid all at once in different areas there would be no way for the Saracian Empire to oppose us. We would have many advantages. We would raid close to the mountains’ edge, meaning that by the time the Saracians raise a mighty army to attack us, we would be long gone. Even if they decided to chase us into the mountains, we would have the advantage of the knowledge of our home territory.

Chief Omar, I do not know about you but I feel like our tribe is like a prisoner encaged in these accursed mountains. For centuries our people have been persecuted by the people in to the south, even we have sold our people as slaves so that we might prosper. Unless we act, the future of our tribe is like dust in the wind.

-Jahfarl

A letter to a Fwerzim Tribal Chieftain about a month before the first great North Strip Ridge incursion into the Saracian Empire.

Duty and Love (Age of the Council; Year 1725 A.T.F.; Regian-Coalition War)

Col. Cartwright stared at the messenger awaiting the message.

“Lieutenant Colonel Cartwright, the General needs you are to take your battalion, and with all haste seize that village,” the messenger pointed off in the distance to a village a few dozen yards away, “hold the village and protect our left flank.”

Cartwright protested, saying that the village was already occupied by an enemy battalion, however orders were orders. With nothing more to say, the messenger left. As the messenger left, Cartwright turned around facing his battalion, the 78th.

Dressed in their navy blue uniforms with their open-faced burgonets with a white plume, the 78th, he knew, was eager. This was their first engagement in the war and they were here defending the sovereignty of Duchara, at the expense of leaving their own capital near defenseless, but this was something that the 78th would not question. Their love for their Empire was such that they believed the Empire could do no wrongs. Love for their Empire, and their unquestionable duty was the reason why before they were garrisoned at the capital.

“78th, we have orders to assault that village over yonder. The village is occupied, thus we must convince its occupiers to abandon the village. It is only fitting that this battalion does the job; you all know our words ‘Duty and Love’. Our duty now is to hold the village and protect our comrades fighting in the main line of battle. Victory here means that we will be able to bring the light and love of the Immortal Empire over to the Ducharans who are suffering under the Regian occupation.”

“78th, forward march!” yelled Cartwright. The 78th Janak Legionnaire Battalion began its march towards the village.

As they got closer to the village, a cannon barrage bombarded the village. Confusion struck the enemy battalion as they suffered under the intense bombardment, a few seconds later the enemy fled from the village. Sight of the fleeing enemy caused the 78th to cheer, however their troubles were not over yet; to the right of the 78th appeared an enemy battalion of mounted dragoons. Cartwright felt his heart drop, for he realized in less than a second that there would be no time to form a square, there was little they could do. With few options, Cartwright ordered the line to turn and face the enemy cavalry and brace for the coming charge.

In the time before the dragoons got within a couple yards of the 78th, the Janakans were able to turn their line to face them. Cartwright sadly knew that the destruction of the 78th was assured. Then, out of the blue, Janakan cavalry flew in from the right of the 78th and smashed into the enemy dragoons before they had reached the 78th. Cartwright was shocked, knowing that his life as well as the lives of his men, might have ended right then, but miraculously they were spared. Cartwright knew that the 78th would continue the fight in this war.

Smile of Victory (Age of Continentalism; War of the First Invasion)
    There was no spot of land that he could see that was not currently covered by his comrades or his enemies. Why should he? He was located somewhere in the middle of the army, an army that combined with the enemy army would equal somewhere over a million men. All he could see were his comrades and flames on the horizon, flames that marked areas where enemies were burning alive. He had heard rumors that oil was poured into the ground in many areas of the battlefield, so that the next day fire arrows would be shot into those areas. He knew that the ground was frozen; there was even frost on the ground, these facts did not prepare him for the moment he saw the horizon light up. True, he could not see the fires from where he was standing, but he did hear plenty of fearful shouts amongst where he thought the enemy line was, and there were enough shouts to convince him that it worked.

It was only a matter of time until he was at the front of the line. This was not a battle where tactics break the enemy. He knew he would most likely meet his death here on this battlefield, but it would not help to think about his imminent fate. To linger on the subject could very well break his own morale. His being here was not because of some duty to an emperor that lived far away nor was he here to gain glory or honor.

He was here to fight an enemy whose existence threatened the lives of his family, an enemy that had massacred their way across the continent. Victory here would turn the tide of the enemy horde.
    The sounds of battle were getting closer to him; physically he was ready, mentally was another story. He had his sword drawn and shield strapped to his left arm, but his thoughts were not entirely focused on the battle. Instead he was thinking about earlier that morning, wishing that he could have had sausage for his breakfast, it would have been nice for a last meal it didn’t matter if it wasn’t Turonian sausage, and he just wanted to have sausage as a last meal.

His wishful thinking was broken when he realized it was his turn to fight. He brought his shield up to block an enemy chop directed at his head, with the shield he pushed the enemy’s sword arm wide creating an opening in the enemy’s defense and stabbed the man in the throat. Before he could pull the sword out, another enemy had gotten close enough with a dagger and stabbed him in the gut. He fell to the ground dying. Minutes passed before he saw a sight that had made him smile, victory. The enemy horde was fleeing. He had done his duty to his family, his family was safe, as these thoughts faded, so too did his life, but that smile did not fade.

The Outpost (Age of Empires)
    “It sure is quiet around here.” Sighed the sentry.

“Dammit Farah!” his companion replied. “Why must you make comments such as that whenever we are on duty? Maybe one day I will take this halberd here and stick you. Then it definitely won’t be quiet around here.”

“I’m sorry Sakhr,” replied Farah. Sakhr gave Farah a look of disbelief. “I really am. I guess I just say that in hopes that something interesting will happen. Instead, almost every day we wake up, head over to the barracks, grab our equipment, then leave Aten to head west for about a league, only to spend the rest of the day at an old wooden tower. There is nothing to see leagues around. All there is the white sand, the empty blue sky and the mountain ridge in front of us. We are guarding against a threat that will never exist. There is no threat to our beloved city of Aten, much less the Saracian Empire. There has never been a moment in time where anyone has defeated the Saracian Empire and there never will be…”

“You know with that kind of patronizing talk someone might think you love everything about the Saracian Empire.” Joked Sakhr.

“I am only admitting that no one can defeat the Saracian Empire. That does not mean I don’t want an independent Aten. I just know it will never happen. Still I wouldn’t mind if something as interesting as a rebellion occurred…”

“Don’t say things like that. You probably were not around at the time, but two decades ago there was a rebellion over at the city of Hesperos. Saracian soldiers came, defeated the rebellion. After the rebellion was over, the Saracians held mass executions in Hesperos; executing any Hesperosi they saw fit. It was utter madness.”

“What. Were you there?” scoffed Farah.

“Yes I was, and I was a soldier too who had to watch these executions take place. I hope such a thing never happens to Aten.”

The two sentries were quiet. As the silence ensued, they stared across the vast desert wasteland where at the end lay a range of mountains that extended north to south as far as the eye could see. “That reminds me Sakhr. What is over those mountains? I have never been that far away from Aten, but seeing as how you have been more than just a sentry I think you would know.”

“Over those mountains there?” Sakhr pointed. “Yes.” Replied Farah.

“From what I have heard, nothing. I think the closest settlement would be Turkara, but that is practically on the other side of the world.”

“If that is true, then who are we guarding the empire from?”

A Brief Respite (Age of the Council; Year 1782 A.T.F.; Westmark Civil War)
    “Hans,” whispered Dunnel as he shook Hans’ sleeping body. “It’s your turn to take the watch.”

“Really? It’s already that time?” replied the drowsy Hans. Dunnel’s brow narrowed. “Well alright then. You get some sleep.”

Pleased with Hans’ response, Dunnel left the tent. After Dunnel left, Hans got his boots on, grabbed his shako, his green greatcoat and his musket and left the tent. As he walked towards his post he donned his greatcoat and fitted his shako on head. He easily identified where his post was, the location was illuminated in gold light. After Hans walked past another block of tents he saw his comrades who would be sharing this watch with him.

“…and then I said to him ‘You arse, that’s no wench that there’s a spider!’” said a man with a hearty voice, the two men around him were laughing. “He just stood there looking at…oh looky here, it’s our good friend Hans. Hello Hans.”

“Hello Doric,” said Hans, “Fred, Theo.” Hans said acknowledging the other two soldiers.

“Come to share the morning shift with us Hans?” said Theo.

“Morning!” Hans scoffed. “If it wasn’t for your fire and that burning village behind us, the night would be darker than black.” They all laughed.

“Shame what happened to Solitary.” Doric remarked.

“Which battalion?” asked Fred.

“I heard it was the 12th Battalion. Poor bastards. They will probably have nightmares for what they did to that village.” Hans said.

“Gods, if this war ever ends the entire country will be desolate.”

“Well Fred, just be glad our battalion has not been forced to torch a city or execute innocent civilians.”

“Dammit you guys. Stop it with your depressing attitudes. Be glad you are alive, I sure am. Be glad for this respite from the war, however brief it may be. Now shut up so I can finish my story!”

The Shade (Age of Kingdoms)
    “Shade, the Vizier has been expecting you. Follow me.” A soldier said. As ordered, the Shade followed the soldier. As could be expected from a soldier in the employment of the Vizier, the soldier was dressed in bright colored garb that all but concealed a gold chainmail shirt. The Shade wondered if the gold made the chainmail stronger, but then chuckled knowing that it still would not save the soldier if he was a target for an assassination.

It was unusual for the Shade to walk around in broad daylight. As an assassin who always dressed in black tunics, he was at a disadvantage, first of all the black tunics absorb heat (which in the Saracian sun would probably make wearing armor more comfortable than a black tunic) and there were too many people in the streets in daylight. Well, except maybe in this city of Al Bal'awa. Ever since it was conquered decades back, its population had begun dwindling, all because of the embargo its sister city, Valloix, imposed. Since then, virtually no trade came into the city, Valloix ships had seen to that.

The two men walked for several minutes before they had arrived at their destination. For a palace, thought the Shade, it’s rather unusual. The Shade was right, though still under construction; the Vizier’s palace looked nowhere near as magnificent as other Saracian palaces. It might just be temporary for when Saracia finally conquers Valloix.

“The Vizier is waiting for you inside his pavilion.” The soldier grunted. The Shade drifted off to the left of the palace to where the pavilion was. As the Shade approached the pavilion, the guards stationed outside the pavilion lifted the flaps to allow the Shade to enter.

As to be expected, the inside of the pavilion almost made the Shade forget that he was in a simple tent and not a palace. “Finally, you’ve arrived. Please, sit and make yourself comfortable. I’m afraid I don’t have time to offer you any amenities nor do I have time for chit chat,” said the Vizier who was dressed in the most expensive silks.

“Fine. It is impossible to assassinate the Valloix governor. There is no way an enemy army can get into Valloix, nor is there a way for an armed foreigner to get into that city.”

“A Shade admitting defeat? I thought I’d never see the day. Don’t worry; I have already contacted people who can get you into Valloix. Here is your first payment if you accept.” The Vizier handed the Shade a pouch full of coins.

“I accept.”

“Good,” the Vizier started. “Guards! This man is trying to kill me!” he shouted. The Shade was surprised, before he could draw his dagger he had a blade at his belly. “Don’t even try. Thanks to you, the streets of Valloix will run red with blood.” Said the Vizier.

“You have no proof!”

“Fool! Those Valloix coins are all the proof I need.”

Last edited by Derpy Hooves; April 28, 2012 at 08:43 PM.

Default Re: The Worlds of the Swordofjanak

Notes on various Gaiishan Wars
    Anavutian Independence War
    Anavut Independence War
    By Charles Gagnon Mitchell I
    In 1760 A.T.F. the Threat War began, pitting Duchara, Frankia, Groca and Spania against Noobea, Turkia and Westmark. In 1761, Noobea surrenders; that same year Noobea ends their seven centuries long war with Egee, and pulls their troops out of Bania. The previous year, the remaining Noobean forces, which had been deployed on the Southern Strip, were returning by sea when the Frankian navy attacked them. This battle would be the first naval battle since the Fall. The Frankian forces were victorious and had completely destroyed the Noobean navy, which lead to the deaths of not only the Noobean sailors but also the soldiers who were returning from Frankia; the casualties were in the tens of thousands.
    By the end of the Threat War, Noobea had less than 20,000 men left. Everyone knew that Noobea was weak; the various nationalities of Noobea knew this as well. This would be the only chance that the various Noobean ethnicities would have to obtain their independence. However, they could not obtain it on their own. Thus, they would have to coordinate their revolt to happen all at once. A coordinated revolt did not happen, instead the other nationalities, which would eventually revolt, waited to see how the first revolt would fare. The first people who would revolt were the Anavutians.
    The Anavutians are viewed as a hybrid nationality. Many millennia ago, the people of Groca landed on the Northern Strip. Eventually the people of Groca formed their own state which bordered the Saracian Empire. Because of the close proximity and the many differences between the two countries, Groca and the Saracian Empire would constantly wage war on each other. There were other effects of their proximity; these effects were the intermingling between the two peoples. This intermingling created the Anavutians. In short, the Anavutians are a merging of the southern regions of the Northern Strip and the Southern Strip.
    The Anavutians would prove their uniqueness in the Domino War in 1652. They showed the Noobean leaders their skills as expert marksmen and skirmishers. Since the Domino War, Noobea recruited dozens of Anavutian regiments who were tasked as light infantry. Their skill as light infantry became famous, and soon they were recruited as mercenaries in other Gaiishan armies. Compared with the other Noobean ethnicities that would revolt, the Anavutians had the best chance at succeeding.
    Not only did they have the best chance, but because they are related to the Grocans, Groca would most likely help out. Thus, representatives of the various Anavutian freedom groups requested support from Groca. Groca obliged to this request, sending arms, advisors and officers to train the Anavutian rebels as well as the 9th Battleforce commanded by Major Dionysios.
    Out of all the various Anavutian freedom groups, the Anavutian Monarchists were the most organized. As plans for revolts were made, the Monarchists established their main base at an old city called Aten. It was at Aten, where the Monarchists would train their forces.
    The Monarchists already knew how they were going to conduct the war. At the beginning, they would split their forces into two main groups: Battlegroup A, led by General Eugenius, and Battlegroup K, led by General Abessalom. Battlegroup A would lead the attack on Anavutlar while Battlegroup K would lead the attack on Kawa. From there each would move on to the next major city, A would attack the city of Mosyllon while K would attack the city of Zeila. Even if Battlegroup K failed, Battlegroup A would have the numbers to finish the job, since they had the Grocan 9th Battleforce.

Spring 30th of 1765 saw the outbreak of war in Noobea. On the 29th of Spring, Battlegroup K and Battlegroup A headed towards the position they were to attack. On the 30th, Battlegroup K encircled Kawa. On the 34th, Battlegroup A arrived west of Anavutlar, the next morning, Battlegroup A began bombarding Anavutlar. By the 37th, the bombardment of Anavutlar had ceased.
    It would be a while before Battlegroup A and Battlegroup K would storm the cities of Anavutlar and Kawa. They were waiting for the other Anavutian factions as well as the Noobean garrison to battle it out until one was left. Such an action meant that the Monarchists would wait for more than 20 days. This is because warfare in the cities was going quite slowly. Skirmishes inside the cities usually involved a squad or two (a platoon at most) of men fighting each other. Casualties were few. Within the cities, victory was not measured by how many men were lost; rather they were measured by who retreated and who stood their ground.
    It was on the 45th, that a Noobean army of about 6,000 men commanded by Army General Nagi, marched north towards Mosyllon to reinforce the beleaguered Noobean garrison. At first it seems odd that an army general (at this time Nagi is the only army general in Noobea) would be put in charge of a battlegroup sized army. However, this did not matter, for Nagi would most likely and would have to recruit mercenaries which could raise the size of that battlegroup sized army to ~20,000 which was the standard size of an army in the 18th Century.
    Because of a lack of manpower in the military, Noobea had done what few nations did in the 18th Century: recruit mercenaries. Even though the main strategy when employing mercenaries was to send them into battle first, this was an unaffordable strategy for Noobea since it needed as many soldiers as possible. However, there were still people in the military as well as the government who argued with treating mercenaries as their own; instead these opponents suggested enacting the Noobean Conscription Law. If enacted this would mean that Noobean officials would conscript men throughout the country. The last time this happened was in 1760 during the Threat War. Whenever this law was enacted, riots and protests would ensue across the land. Most Noobean government officials did not want to enact this law so soon after it was previously used. It was because of mercenaries that forces of 2,000 regular Noobean soldiers were reinforced to 6,000.
    On the 47th the Mosyllon Anavutian Republican faction spotted the Noobean army. As was customary for rebel forces, the Republicans waved the white flag to signify the common enemy was coming. Instead of uniting to attack the Noobeans, the Republicans offered to go out and attack the force by themselves. The other Anavutian factions agreed and let the Republicans leave Mosyllon unmolested.

  
    Battle of the Mosyllon Outskirts
    The Mosyllon Republicans numbered roughly 3,500 men, this was definitely not enough to handle the professional Noobean army. However, the Republicans were not concerned with that. Thus they marched south towards the Noobean army. This would culminate in the Battle of the Mosyllon Outskirts. With little cavalry and even fewer artillery support, the Republicans separated into three armies. The first army numbered 1,500, this was commanded by the Mosyllon Republican leader, and the army was designated as Group C which was positioned in the center of the battle line. The other two armies numbered 1,000 and were designated as Group R and Group L, Group L was positioned on the left flank while Group R was positioned on the right flank.
    The battlefield was centered at a ridge that could prevent accurate artillery fire. On the Noobean side there was a stream that the Noobeans would have to cross to assault the Republicans. The Republicans could easily secure the high ground if they moved quickly. Scattered amongst the ridge were a few trees and several hamlets.
    Not only were the Republicans outnumbered, but they were outgunned as well. The Noobeans would use a new weapon in this battle called the Octacannon. As the name implies, the cannon has eight barrels that fire at about the same time as the other barrels. Though this weapon was less accurate than any other Noobean artillery weapons, it was effective at causing havoc amongst the Republican lines, resulting in many Republicans fleeing from the battlefield.
    The battle began at 1300 hours, with both the Noobeans and the Republicans rushing to secure the ridge. Noobean artillery set up right in front of the stream and attempted to batter the Republican lines. The Noobean right flank sent its cavalry ahead to stall the Republican left flank. However, this action was not that effective; despite the effectiveness of the tactic it was one of the elements of warfare in the 18th Century.
    Despite their best efforts, the Noobean army failed to take the ridge; instead the Republicans captured the ridge. Despite being in control of the ridge, the Republicans did not take advantage of it, instead they advanced down the ridge to face the Noobeans, who had just got across the stream and had made their way to a flat area. The area between the opposing forces was flat and level; Noobea had the advantage. The area in between was long enough to ensure that all sides were in range of each other's line infantry. Thus, both sides formed lines of soldiers facing each other. Several seconds passed before they opened fire upon their enemy.
    After a few volleys, the Noobean center and left flank charged at the Republican lines, while the right flank continued pouring volley after volley upon the inferior Republican left flank. The melee would continue for about an hour. The Republican left flank started to falter as the Noobean right flank kept putting pressure on the Anavutians. After a half hour, dozens of Republicans on the left flank turned and ran. With each passing minute, more Republicans were fleeing, to the point that the Noobean commander of the right flank ordered his men to charge at the enemy. The charge caused the remaining Republicans on the left flank to scatter and rout from the battlefield.
    With the left flank gone, the Noobean right flank joined the melee. Several minutes later, the remaining Republicans fled from the battle. Over 3000 Republicans had lost their lives in the battle, whereas over 2000 Noobeans had fallen. Such a result was not promising for the Independence War. After the battle was over, Gen. Nagi marched to defeat the various Anavutian factions in the city of Mosyllon.
      
    Soon after the battle was over, news came back to Mosyllon that the Republican attack had failed. By the day's end, the remnants of the Republican army reached Mosyllon and alerted the various factions that a Noobean army was on its way. Despite a combined effort the next day, the Anavutians failed to eliminate the Mosyllon garrison, and much to the Anavutians chagrin, Gen. Nagi linked up with the Mosyllon garrison. However, for the Noobean forces to link up, the Noobean garrison had to abandon its positions in Mosyllon. The armies linked up southeast of the city. After the Noobean forces had linked up, they moved out and headed back to Mosyllon. What awaited them there was a combined Anavutian force of almost 6,000 men.
    Knowing of the superiority of their own forces, Gen. Nagi ordered the reinforced Mosyllon garrison to attack the Anavutian forces. With the reinforcements (mostly mercenaries), the Mosyllon garrison numbered at about 5,000 men (a battlegroup), under the command of Brigadier General El-Mofty, marched towards Mosyllon. Nagi would label this force the 1st Mosyllon Battlegroup. The 1st Battlegroup was composed of three brigades, the 18th Brigade, under Brig. Abdulrashid; the 7th Brigade, under Brig. Ahmed; and the 15th Brigade, under Brig. El-Mofty.

First Battle of Mosyllon
    At noon on the 48th, Noobean and Anavutian forces stared at each other across a river that cuts through Mosyllon. The Noobeans had many advantages; the primary advantage was the artillery that came with the battlegroup. The area where the battle would take place was not in the center of the city, it was on the fringes of the city where there were many buildings but only a road that connected the settlement with the city which was a mile away to the north, west and east.
    At about 1400 hours, the Anavutian forces on the opposite side advanced towards the settlement in order to have the advantage of cover inside the settlement. As soon as the Anavutians made their move, Brig. El-Mofty ordered the 1st Battlegroup to commence the attack. El-Mofty's deployment had the 7th Brigade on his right flank, the 15th in the center and the 18th on the left.
    The 7th Brigade marched and would attempt to cross the river. The 15th and 18th Brigades marched towards the settlement to secure it.
    To hold off the Anavutian forces, Brig. Ahmed sent a battalion of cavalry to take the bridge. Before the Ahmed's cavalry could cross the bridge, the Anavutian Separatists were already in skirmish formation and opened fire upon the cavalry. The cavalry was repulsed, and fled the battlefield; upon seeing this Brig. Ahmed cursed knowing that his 7th would take heavy casualties.
    Surprisingly, the Anavutian Republicans managed to cross the river and deploy into line formation in an empty field right in front of the 18th Brigade. The problem was, the Republicans only had a force of 500 men whereas the 18th Brigade had a couple thousand men. Despite this significant disadvantage, the Republicans to make up for the previous engagement, fought valiantly. By the time the Republicans started to flee, they had inflicted massive casualties upon the 18th Brigade, about several hundred casualties. Many Noobean battalions fled from the fierce volleys of the Republicans. Alas, the Republicans did not have the strength to stand alone against the 18th Brigade and were forced to flee.
    As the Republicans were battling the 18th Brigade, the 7th Brigade's infantry met with the Separatists infantry. The commander of the Separatists had his infantry organized to fight across the river from the 7th, his other infantry units (skirmishers) would cross the bridge in an attempt to flank the 7th. Everything went according to the Unionist commander's plan. Brig. Ahmed was hesitant at a crucial moment. He asked himself "Should the infantry line charge or stand and exchange volleys with the enemy?" He debated this topic for so long that by the time his infantry were in range to fire upon the Separatists, his soldiers did not know what to do. A minute had passed before the Noobean battalion commanders ordered their battalions to open fire. By the time they opened fire, the Separatists had got off a few volleys at the Noobeans. A few minutes after the Noobeans had opened fire, Brig. Ahmed ordered his men to charge. This might have been a smart move, if the Noobean battalions were at or at least near full battalion strength. Despite this, the Noobean line charged at the Anavutians. The Noobean line took several dozen hits before there line met with the Anavutians. While the Unionist and the Noobean lines fought each other in melee, reserve Unionist skirmishers crossed the bridge and flanked the Noobeans who were in melee. Despite the danger of inflicting friendly fire, the reserve skirmishers opened fire upon the Noobean line which caused it to crumble and it started to flee. As this happened the Unionist commander sent his only battalion of cavalry. The objective of the cavalry was to destroy all artillery positions, and to not pay attention to any other enemy but the artillery. Regarding this objective, the battalion of cavalry was largely successful. While the cavalry did not eliminate all of the enemy artillery positions, the cavalry did reduce the artillery significantly.
    The Confederates and the Federalists were slow to arrive at the crossing. For their slow movements, their award was to be slaughtered by a combined attack from the 18th and 15th Brigades. Both sides, Anavutian and Noobean fired a few volleys at each other then charged into each other's lines. The ensuing melee was brutal, but the Noobean forces emerged from the melee victorious. This was mostly due because Anavutian units were mostly skilled at skirmishing tactics and not skilled in melee which the Noobeans had perfected.
    Within a couple minutes the 7th Brigade was in full flight, instead of chasing them the Separatists marched to help their beleaguered comrades.
    The melee ensued for twenty minutes before the Anavutians broke from the combat and fled back into the streets of downtown Mosyllon. With the Federalists and Confederates in flight, the 18th and the 15th Brigades switched their focus to the Separatists.
    Before the Noobeans could reform their line, the Separatists had arrived with a preformed line and opened fire causing much havoc amongst the Noobean battalions. This would be the last segment of the battle. The Anavutians, mostly deployed in skirmish formation, were arranged on a field with two battalions in line formation by the river. By the time the 18th and 15th could form a line, the 18th and the 15th took immense casualties. After the Noobeans had opened fire upon the Anavutians, a new force had arrived: a vanguard for the 3rd Army. With the arrival of the 3rd Army, the chances for a Unionist/Anavutian victory were dashed. With all hope of victory lost, the Unionist commander ordered all battalions to charge.
    As they charged, the remnants of the 18th and 15th Brigades fired upon the Anavutians; a few Anavutian battalions fled, but many more reached the tattered Noobean line. The melee lasted for five minutes, but was broken by the arrival of the 3rd Army's vanguard, who entered the melee and soundly defeated the exhausted Separatists.
    The battle was over and Noobea had emerged victorious. This was Noobea's second victory yet it was a pyrrhic victory. It had lasted for about an hour, yet in that time Noobea had suffered 4,519 casualties out of 6,877 men (these statistics include the 3rd Army's vanguard force), while the Anavutians had suffered 4,555 out of a combined force of 5,801. It is quite probable that had the 3rd Army's vanguard not arrived, Noobea would have lost the battle. Win or lose did not matter, it would be impossible for the rebels to resist the 3rd Army when it arrived.
      
    Mosyllon was now back under Noobean control, it must be noted that there were still Anavutian rebel elements present in the city, yet not enough to combat the 3rd Army. The next decision made by Gen. Nagi would be a difficult one. True, Mosyllon had fallen to Noobea, but now Noobea had to hold on to it. However, if the only focus was on Mosyllon then Zeila, Kawa and Anavutlar would fall. Gen. Nagi knew it would be impossible to organize an offensive against the Anavutian Monarchists, it would also be impossible to defend all four major cities. Nagi decided that he would send three brigades north to Zeila in hopes that Zeila could be defended. Nagi's remaining forces would remain in Mosyllon. Thus, the western territories of the Anavutian region would be relatively undefended.
    Oriental Union Civil War
    First Oriental Union Civil War and the Oriental Union Separatists

The first O.U. Civil War began in the Spring of the year 1862 A.T.F., however the signs of rebellion began months before.
    Since the creation of the Oriental Union there has always signs of discontent, however not enough to make a difference. Most of this discontent stemmed from the Wars of Oriental Unification. These people with this kind of discontent would be called Separatists. These Separatists wanted the nation to be separated (which is why they are named such). If this were to happen the O.U. would split into four different nations: Yenia, Golia, Mancheea and Korheanna. The Separatists beliefs were both shaken and renewed when in 1857 the floodgates in the Mancheean region failed causing a huge flood that turned the region of Yenia into dozens of islands and drowning over 60% of Yenia.
    When the flood occurred more and more people joined the Separatists since public opinion of the O.U. government had somewhat dropped. It was almost a year later that the dozens of Separatist groups across the Oriental Union had united in their cause. Later they created their own government. This government was not known by the O.U. government, but it could do little anyways. The government was only there to govern their own group, though this government did tax their members in order to have somewhat of a treasury. This treasury would be used to fund the rebellion that would occur in 1862. The government even sent envoys to several different countries. The objective of this was to gain support from the major powers. Of the many different countries that these envoys were sent to, only four gave their support. Regia funded the Separatists; with those funds the Separatists bought cars from Regia, tanks and light machine guns from Frankia, machine pistols, pistols and grenades from Westmark, and from the Nomad Republic the Separatists bought more tanks. The equipment was old and new, but it was still relevant. The Separatists were somewhat disappointed as they saw that the Immortal Empire would have been one of the biggest contributors, but the Immortal Emperor did not want to fund separatists, since this would be a bad example seeing as how the ultimate goal of the Empire was to unify all of Gaiisha.
    For the next few years, the Separatists trained and organized themselves. The dawn of 1862 saw the Separatists mobilize and seize the fortress city of Hijuan. This city was walled and situated on the northern coast of the Mancheean region. When the Separatists came to the city, many of the inhabitants fled. When the Separatists arrived in the city they told the inhabitants of their intentions, which lead to more inhabitants fleeing from the looming war. From that day on, the Separatists prepped the city defenses to prepare for the coming battles. The Separatists placed AA guns, anti-tank guns and machine guns on top of the wall. Weeks later the Separatists seized an adjacent town called Iduan and a few hamlets causing more people to flee.
    Following the loss of Iduan, the government of the O.U. held an emergency meeting to discuss what action to take. Several O.U. councilmen wanted to have the entire military crackdown on this rebellion, the majority decided to send only a quarter of the military. In other words the Mancheean First Corp of 50,000 men was sent to deal with the Separatists.
    As the O.U. forces came closer and closer to Separatists territory more and more people fled the captured city and town. The Separatists became better prepared by making trench works at the Southwest Gate.
    To the Separatists, the most likely area that the O.U. would attack first was the town of Iduan. From there the Separatists concluded that the O.U. would then attack the Southwest Gate. Using these predictions, the Separatists sent several thousand men to defend Iduan along with 20 Frankian tanks equipped with machine guns. The Separatists positioned men all around the walls with a main focus on the Southwest Gate and a secondary focus on the South Gate. All in all, about 20,000 men were stationed on and around the walls.

The O.U. did not meet the Separatists expectations. The Southwest Gate was only one of many objectives besides the defeat of the Separatists. These other objectives were the South Gate, the West Gate, the town of Iduan, the factory district on the north side of the city and the central sector of the city. If the South Gate or the Southwest Gate were to fall, then the O.U. would have a direct route of attack on the central district. If the West Gate were to fall, then the O.U. would have a direct route of attack on the factory district. However, if the Separatists destroyed the bridge connecting the western part of the city to the factory district, then the capture of the West Gate would be in vain unless the bridge was repaired. If the factory district falls then the Separatists would lose a majority of their tank support and all hope of victory would be lost.
    Lieutenant General Haruto, commander of the Mancheean First Corp, did not want to throw all of his forces at one spot, but instead divided his forces into the 1st and 2nd Mancheean Divisions; the 1st Division, commanded by Major General Wen, numbered 30,000 while the 2nd Division, commanded by Major General Ru, numbered 20,000. Wen’s 1st Division would attack Iduan first then attack the Southwest Gate, while Ru’s 2nd Division would go straight north and attack the South Gate. Wen’s forces would have 500 Type 58 Main Battle Tanks, and would later be supported by 39 Type 32 Light Tanks equipped with machine guns. Ru’s forces would be mostly supported by the O.U. air force and a couple hundred Type 58 Main Battle Tanks.
    Maj. General Wen did not expect heavy resistance at Iduan, and so decided to send the 3rd Brigade, under Colonel Truc, to act as a vanguard. Even though the Separatists did not know the O.U.’s plans, they decided to send the 20 Frankian tanks (which had been positioned at Iduan) to advance and attack the O.U. infantry. The Separatist advance caught the 3rd Brigade by surprise, with the advantage of surprise, the Separatists destroyed a lot of the 3rd Brigade’s infantry. Eventually all 20 Separatist tanks were destroyed, however it had cost the O.U. a lot of men. After this skirmish, Col. Truc informed Gen. Wen what had happened. Truc advised Wen to send in more men for the assault on Iduan. Gen. Wen agreed and sent in 10,000 more men for the attack on Iduan. Receiving these reinforcements, Col. Truc advanced and began the assault on Iduan. Seeing the vast amount of forces arrayed against them the Separatists fled Iduan and retreated to the Southwest Gate. When Gen. Wen heard how the assault on Iduan went, he ordered the rest of the 1st Division to advance and occupy Iduan. There the 1st Division would prepare for the attack on the Southwest Gate.
    When Iduan had fallen, the assault on the South Gate had begun. Gen. Ru ordered the assault to begin with strafing runs on the walls. This plan was not as good as it sounded, since the walls had enough AA guns mounted on the walls to prevent O.U. aircraft from doing too much damage. Gen. Ru had seen enough to know that using the air force was proving useless, and decided to send a few thousand men to attack the South Gate. Though the Separatists had the advantage of fortifications, they were no soldiers and within a few hours the O.U. captured the South Gate.
    When word reached Gen. Wen on the capture of the South Gate, he decided it was time for the attack on the Southwest Gate. Like the attack on Iduan, Gen. Wen decided to send the already battered 3rd Brigade as a vanguard. Col. Truc had some fears about this, and asked Gen. Wen what he was up against. The General told Truc that the Separatists had constructed trench works and had built two pillboxes, however the O.U. air force was able to destroy one of them, but even one was dangerous to advancing infantry as well as tanks. Truc knew that he would be leading a forlorn hope. Thus Col. Truc requested an artillery barrage to precede his attack, to this Gen. Wen obliged.
    The Separatists at the Southwest Gate had not expected an artillery barrage, and so the Separatists positioned at the Southwest Gate suffered heavy casualties. While the artillery barrage continued, Col. Truc prepared his men for a charge on the trench works outside the Southwest Gate. He had his riflemen fix bayonets, had the men carrying machine pistols and light machine guns organized into gunner squads whose objective was to give covering fire to the charging riflemen. When the artillery barrage finally ceased, the officers of the riflemen squads blew into their whistles, shouted charge and pointed their pistols to the sky and fired. When those pistol shots rang out, the sound of thousands of stomping boots resounded in the air. These boots were worn by the charging O.U. rifleman. While these riflemen were charging at the Separatist trenches, the gunner squads opened fire at the Separatists on the walls and at the trenches. These gunners were not really aiming at anyone directly, but they were hindering the Separatists ability to open fire at the charging riflemen. But then something happened that Col. Truc did not expect: a countercharge. At first a couple of Separatists emerged from their trenches and charged at the O.U. riflemen. Then more and more Separatists emerged from their trenches and joined in the charge. The O.U. gunner squads now had something to shoot at. However, this countercharge revealed that the 3rd Brigade was outnumbered three to one and within a couple minutes from when the artillery barrage ended, both sides clashed in a bloody melee. It was obvious to Col. Truc that his men were outnumbered, and so to ensure that his riflemen did not rout, he ordered the gunner squads to prepare to charge. A few seconds later he blew his whistle and shouted charge and ran towards the melee followed by the rest of the 3rd Brigade. The melee lasted for about an hour and a half, by the time it was over; the 3rd Brigade had been surrounded and was completely destroyed. The battle that day was over. The O.U. had suffered roughly 8,000 casualties while the Separatists had suffered about 20,000.
    That night fighting began at the South Gate; the Separatists were attempting to retake the South Gate. Luckily for them, there were not enough O.U. forces to prevent the Separatists from retaking the South Gate, and so the O.U. units stationed at the South Gate retreated and left the Separatists their prize. While this was happening, Gen. Wen ordered the 1st Brigade to move north and attack the West Gate. There were few Separatists defending the West Gate and so the O.U. captured the gate with ease. However, the time it took for them to capture the West Gate gave the Separatists enough time to rig the bridge connecting to the factory district, with explosives and detonate the explosives. Thus the point of taking the West Gate ceased to exist. Throughout the night Gen. Wen had O.U. artillery bombard the trenches and the central sector of the city.
    In the morning the 2nd Division renewed the attack on the South Gate. The attack was over in less than an hour, and the Separatists were pushed back to central. This would be the last time the O.U. would have to fight for the South Gate.
    While Gen. Ru commenced his attack on the South Gate, Gen. Wen commenced an all out attack on the Southwest Gate. At first he had the infantry attack, however after about an hour it became clear that using only infantry would not solve anything, thus Wen had the O.U. tanks sent in. When the Separatists saw the tanks, they began to falter. Several minutes later, the Separatists broke and fled leaving the Southwest Gate to the O.U.. With a clear advantage, Gen. Wen ordered the 1st Division to pursue the fleeing enemy.
    As the 1st Division continued its advance toward central, the 2nd Division was also heading toward central. By noon, central had fallen to the O.U., but the battle was not over. At this point, the battle had become a stalemate. Several hours later, the Separatists were able to push back both the 1st and 2nd Divisions. The Separatists counterattack pushed the 2nd Division back to the South Gate, while pushing the 1st Division back just outside of the Southwest Gate. For the rest of the day the Southwest Gate and central would trade hands several times.
    Late in the afternoon of the second day, Gen. Haruto told Gen. Wen to attack the factory district. Gen. Wen told that was impossible unless central fell and the Separatists were pushed into the sea. Wen informed Haruto that the only other way is gone, in other words the bridge to the factory district was destroyed. Haruto told Wen that if the factory district was not under O.U. control by the third morning (since the conflict started), then Gen. Wen would be removed from his position. So Gen. Wen and his staff spent the rest of the day coming up with a plan. Soon they had it all figured out.
    About an hour until midnight, Gen. Wen had a unit of about a hundred men who could swim with their equipment, organized and equipped with waterproof bags that would hold their weapons. The job of this 100 man unit was to swim across the waterway between the western district of the city and the factory district. Once they did that, they were to split into two groups. The first group would take out the guards posted at the remains of the bridge, while the second group would try to buy some time and if possible capture the factory district.
    This plan was initiated at midnight, and it worked as well as Gen. Wen and his staff predicted. When the guards at the bridge were taken out, the O.U. unit which had dispatched the guards, signaled the men on the other side of the bridge. The signal was to let the men on the other side know that the coast was clear to put up the makeshift bridge. Within minutes of bridging the two sides, several thousand O.U. soldiers crossed the gap, and entered the factory district. In less than half an hour, the factory district was overrun by the O.U..
    On the second day of the battle about 30,000-40,000 Separatists lost their lives, while the O.U. had suffered about 30,000 casualties. The fall of the factory district meant that the Separatists had lost all hope of victory.
    In the morning of the third day, the 1st Division launched another attack on the Southwest Gate, and within a couple it fell to the O.U.. Central was now surrounded, and the O.U. launched yet another all out attack on the Separatists. By late afternoon the battle was over. Almost 45,000 O.U. soldiers had lost their lives in this long battle, while the Separatists had roughly 75,000.
    The end of this battle did not mean the end of the civil war. Yes, the Separatists had been completely defeated; the Oriental Union government estimate that at max a couple thousand Separatists kept their lives. That is more that can be said of them than the civilians who had decided to stay in Iduan and Hijuan during the battle. Though these civilians may not have supported the Separatists, they still paid the ultimate price: death. All the civilians who lingered in Iduan and Hijuan were executed either during the battle or after. It is unknown how many civilians lingered in these places, but it is estimated that the numbers run in the tens of thousands.
    This civil war was only the beginning of the Oriental Union’s troubles that would come half a decade later. It would be a war in which the southern powers would land troops on O.U. soil.

Note that at some point I will be reconning the Oriental Union Civil War, in other words the Oriental Union did not completely win the war.
    Last edited by Derpy Hooves; February 21, 2012 at 08:48 AM.

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar **TWC Citizenship FTW**
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Looking forward to digging in to this...+RepIOU{outta bullets for th eday}
    Simply Irresistible
    Grab your Red Badge of Courage Today. (If interested, please PM me for details)

My AAR works (though unfinished as of yet)
    The Holy Grail Quest A Thera AAR