Thread: How to remove a unit from game

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Default How to remove a unit from game

Hi, I hadn't nothing to do and certain modders were wondering about how to do this without crashing the game. Then I decide to write this easy tutorial for those who want to remove a unit from the game due to a lack of space (500 units, hardcore cap) or simply remove useless units. SS modders will actually love that tutorial.

Step One: Making back-up.

Removing a unit involves several files and before doing anything else, I strongly suggest you to back-up the following files:

• Export_Descr_Unit.txt (data)
    • Export_Descr_Building.txt (data)
    • Descr_Rebel_factions.txt (data)
    • Descr_sm_factions.txt (data)
    • Campaign_script.txt (data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign)
    • Descr_mercenaries.txt (data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign)
    • Desr_Strat.txt (data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign)

Step Two: Removing the unit.

Now time to remove your unit. Easy as blinking with your eyes.

I suggest you to remove your unit by following the order of the files in the step one (start with Export_Descr_Unit.txt, then Export_Descr_Building.txt, etc.)

• When you open your file, do Ctrl + F (doing that will make you open your Search Tool) and type the unit name (for example, I want to remove the "English Knights", so I do Ctrl + F and write english_knights, english knights or whatever).
    • When you have find your unit you want to remove, well select the whole code and delete it.
    • Save the file and do the same with the other files.*

*Note that you may have a file where your unit is not coded inside.

**Also, in order to locate the unit code without knowing the dictionary name or unit type, take a look at your Export_unit.txt file (located in data/text folder) and type the unit name as written in game in your Search tool.

That's it, simple as that! If I forgot a file (which I doubt), please just give me a sign and I'll fix the tutorial.

Happy modding!

Default Re: How to remove a unit from game

Perfect mate

The Orcs of Gundabad Erin go Bragh FROGS

When I came back to Dublin I was court marshaled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence"
    Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire
    The English lost an Empire

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, 'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
    - Quentin Crisp

There is one weapon that the British cannot take away from us: we can ignore them.
    - Michael Collins

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken.
    - Bobby Sands

Nice - Sherwood fools will be the first to go!

Really nice work, thank you!

VERY IMPORTANT/MUY IMPORTANTE: When editing descr_strat.txt

(At least in MOS [Massive Overhaul Submod] for TATW [Third Age Total War] - not sure for others, but if you have issues after editing descr_strat try it with this)

You must be saving your revised descr_strat file as ANSI (ANSI= a type of encoding used to compress the data of the document -remember "The Martian" where he uses an 'ANSI Table' to communicate?- the ANSI encoding will be invisible to you)

To do this:
    1) Download Notepad ++ here & install: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.7.8.2.html
    2) Right-click on any text file (in this case descr_strat)
    3) From the drop-down menu select: "Edit with Notepad++"

4) In Notepad++, click "Settings" up top
    5) Click "Preferences..." from the drop-down menu
    6) Select "New Document" from the side-navigation-key-bar thingy
    7) Look under the "Encoding" dialogue box
    8) Select ANSI
    9) Save your edited text doc (in this case descr_strat)
    10) Restart game and go kill some pixels!

That's It!
    Last edited by Ajpav; March 17, 2016 at 09:46 PM.