Hi, I hadn't nothing to do and certain modders were wondering about how to do this without crashing the game. Then I decide to write this easy tutorial for those who want to remove a unit from the game due to a lack of space (500 units, hardcore cap) or simply remove useless units. SS modders will actually love that tutorial.
Step One: Making back-up.
Removing a unit involves several files and before doing anything else, I strongly suggest you to back-up the following files:
- Export_Descr_Unit.txt (data)
- Export_Descr_Building.txt (data)
- Descr_Rebel_factions.txt (data)
- Descr_sm_factions.txt (data)
- Campaign_script.txt (data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign)
- Descr_mercenaries.txt (data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign)
- Desr_Strat.txt (data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign)
Step Two: Removing the unit.
Now time to remove your unit. Easy as blinking with your eyes.
I suggest you to remove your unit by following the order of the files in the step one (start with Export_Descr_Unit.txt, then Export_Descr_Building.txt, etc.)
- When you open your file, do Ctrl + F (doing that will make you open your Search Tool) and type the unit name (for example, I want to remove the "English Knights", so I do Ctrl + F and write english_knights, english knights or whatever).
- When you have find your unit you want to remove, well select the whole code and delete it.
- Save the file and do the same with the other files.*
*Note that you may have a file where your unit is not coded inside.
**Also, in order to locate the unit code without knowing the dictionary name or unit type, take a look at your Export_unit.txt file (located in data/text folder) and type the unit name as written in game in your Search tool.
That's it, simple as that! If I forgot a file (which I doubt), please just give me a sign and I'll fix the tutorial.