Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: [Preview] The Kievan Rus'

Kievan Rus' Khaganate? I do not agree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rurik
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; February 07, 2012 at 06:45 AM.

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: [Preview] The Kievan Rus' Khaganate

Does anybody, ever read, other peoples posts- before posting their own?

Signature made by Joar

Epicness!

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Bogatyr View Post
    You don't need to sell me, sir. I have lurked on the TGC subforum for months now. This is easily my favorite mod in development for Kingdoms! The blood and sweat and love that goes into this is not lost on me. Every time a new faction preview comes out, I say to myself "this is the best looking faction yet." That is, until the next preview! Rus' is easily my favorite faction, so if I get a bit carried away forgive me.
    My friend there is nothing to forgive. In fact we want critisism inorder to improve our selves ,always in a "civilised" way afcourse.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Plankton View Post
    Nice preview and great units!

One question: Are the druzhina gonna have the axe as primary and the sword/shield combo as secondary weapon? i know this is possible, from a unit of broken crescent i believe, but they tend to change their weapon rather randomly than situational. I guess they would always use the shield/sword combo in shieldwall though.
    You have to ask Koultouras about druzhina as its his favotite creation.
    Plus he modified Strelac's double weapon animations (i must add Strelac in credits list).
    These warriors (like Norman king'smen and Varangian guards) start as swordmen. But player can chose if he/she likes them to fight as douple axemen or swordmen. Against weaker units douple axes are realy a leathal tool but against realy heavy units and against cavalry the combination of sword and shield is very helpful.
    In any time with ctrl+attack ,players will be able to have one weapon or an other. Those units under AI use both combinations.
    I have to admit the Koultouras version is much more stable than Strelac's because tests shown us that unless player wont change his mind
    the troops wont change the way the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltiec View Post
    Kievan Rus' Khaganate? I do not agree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rurik
    Please read Constantius' post ...

Quote Originally Posted by Constantius View Post
    Does anybody, ever read, other peoples posts- before posting their own?
    Obviusly not but this is a common practice.
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; February 08, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

Nationalists can be ultra ghey >___>

Nice faction though mmmm
    The wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win - Zhuge
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one
    Do you know why most men die before their wives do? Because they want to!

Pope Gregorius I's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by SHREDDER View Post
    Wiki? As a historical source? Are you serious ?

It seems that this is fantasy mod ... When the orcs and elves will show?

and we had hoped that he historic ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Perun74 View Post
    Kievan Rus' Khaganate??? Comon guys, are you kiddin' me? This is unacceptable. Wiki is a historical source for you???
    Oh my God, and Jesus Christ, and Holy Sh..t etc - I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!

speaking as someone that is currently in an Early Russian History course, i can attest that EVERYTHING here is as I have learned it at least I am not sure about the accuracy of the term Khaganate, I am not even familiar with it at all, but everything else is spot on, just as in the other previews. Basically I am saying that these guys seem dead on accurate based on my education in my own pursuit of a history degree.

Now for my reaction to the preview: AWESOME!
    one question: will the Rus then have the ability to convert to Orthodoxy? Or perhaps even to convert to a different faith? or will you be stuck as a pagan?
    "Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great compassion. Your delight is not in horses, nor Your pleasure in warriors strength..."

Rus will be converted to Orthodoxy.
    An event will change their religion.
    Some "angry" rebels -presenting the throne rivals-will spawn against the Ruler.
    That way we can both show what happened and stay -as possible- in the real history. Choosing an other faith would not be in the mod's objectives that are to "demostrate" the real history and let players learn by playing.
    The "what if" in that case can be the choice of the "Rus" player not to engage in a war with pechenegs or with Bulgarians (a mission will come for that with a huge reward).
    Missions will allow players to deside their game's path.

Example:
    My lord our warriors are tiered to wait and seak for new loots and trade roads to discover. Rumors tell that in the south rich lands that owned by Romans wait to be looted. Do you wish to start a raiding campaign against those lands?
    Yes
    No
    If the player will press Yes he will engage with a war gainst Romans.
    If he will chose No all his generals will lose loyalty and the ruler will loose authority with the danger of an unrest!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Northman75's Avatar Tiro

You guys are somewhat fast with your previews. Great work and I love the units. Just sad that some people have a lack of manners and a rude way to comment things when the disagree with some stuff. But we all should thank the team for the huge amount of work they put in to create this MOD (not a history book which claims to be perfect) So keep it up guys, you are doing a hell of a great job!!!!

http://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=e...GANATE&f=false
    and
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=3...GANATE&f=false

I don't yet own the books, but you can read a certain percentage here. These won't of course lay the debate to sleep, but do add to the discussion , which is what every good historical debate needs

Signature made by Joar

Quote Originally Posted by Constantius View Post
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=e...GANATE&f=false
    and
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=3...GANATE&f=false

I don't yet own the books, but you can read a certain percentage here. These won't of course lay the debate to sleep, but do add to the discussion , which is what every good historical debate needs
    Very good sourse..
    Do you mind add them (with your name afcourse) in the preview 1st post?

Not at all, put the other one in there too. Glad to be of help

Signature made by Joar

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Great preview TGC, lovely units. Regarding the little conflict with the Rus, if your sources said this faction is named like that, then I believe it must be true, Wiki is a good reference but we can't simply use that source obviously, you had many others. it's impossible to be 100% however as long the current sources said the case, well I do not complain at all.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Some "angry" rebels -presenting the throne rivals-will spawn against the Ruler.
    That way we can both show what happened and stay -as possible- in the real history. Choosing an other faith would not be in the mod's objectives that are to "demostrate" the real history and let players learn by playing.
    I think I would personally prefer a choice between religions, because having an event that changes them at a certain date really constricts the player and kind of cramps the feel of a mod. Vladimir might not have converted if he wasn't pressured at home by rivals to the throne and had such a great opportunity. Also it would be great if the mod could represent religion through traits, building a certain type of "temple" or church would increase the chance of being of that religion. Of course then you could have converts and such, which would really deepen gameplay a lot plus give a lot of depth to each general rather than assuming that every single person in a kingdom would be of one religion.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

oh? remember that we have set-up religions as an extension of a factions cultural/political sphere, much like the Britannia expansion campaign. there are no Orthodox religion as such - there is a Roman "religionculture".

• Eastern Roman (for Romans, Roman Rebels)
    • Romanesque (for Normans, Lombards, and the Papacy)
    • Sunni (for Tulunids, Aghlabids, Chandax)
    • Shia (for Fatimids)
    • Steppe (Pecheneg and Turcoman,Magyars)
    • Viking (Kievan Rus)
    • Slavonic Balkan (Slavic+Eastern Roman) for Bulgaria, Bulgarian Rebels, Serbia and Croatia).
    • Central european/slavonic (for East Franks, HRE, Great Moravia)
    • Rebels (for Rebels)
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Corect there are NO Orthodoxy and Roman Catholic dogmas in that time yet.
    Those dogmas will actually start after 1054.
    Christianity simply used to mark zones of influence in Europe!

My friend there is nothing to forgive. In fact we want critisism inorder to improve our selves ,always in a "civilised" way afcourse.

You have to ask Koultouras about druzhina as its his favotite creation.
    Plus he modified Strelac's double weapon animations (i must add Strelac in credits list).
    These warriors (like Norman king'smen and Varangian guards) start as swordmen. But player can chose if he/she likes them to fight as douple axemen or swordmen. Against weaker units douple axes are realy a leathal tool but against realy heavy units and against cavalry the combination of sword and shield is very helpful.
    In any time with ctrl+attack ,players will be able to have one weapon or an other. Those units under AI use both combinations.
    I have to admit the Koultouras version is much more stable than Strelac's because tests shown us that unless player wont change his mind
    the troops wont change the way the fight.

Please read Constantius' post ...

Obviusly not but this is a common practice.
    I think that It will be totally oposite - sword and shield combination against poorly armoured units, swords were totally ineffective against fully armoured men (swordsmen could aim unprotected parts but early medieval swords were rather slash types). Of course most of warriors were poorly protected and against them sword was very effective.
    Sword and shield against missiles.
    Dane axes against better protected enemies, able to crush shield, slice chainmail/helmet or at least break bones beneath them.
    Dane axes against horses-I think that It was easier to kill horse with them than with sword (especially ''slash'' types). Look at Bayeux Tapestry-most of houscarls use 2 handed axe against cavalry, despite the fact that all have also swords. Longer weapon also increase safety of user.

I think there must be an element of phychological tactics also, just image the sight of a group of large Norseman/Anglosaxons shouting abuse at you, holding massive axes. Not something many men would want to stand up to

Signature made by Joar

The word "shouting" reminds me the RTW with the "shouts" abillity .
    I wonder if they are still fanctional in M2TW engine. It would be useful with units that wont use shieldwall like "bodyguards".

Do you mean ''druid'' ability, ritual chant? It works in MTW II, I've try it (also some American Natives in MTW II Kingdoms use It)
    About psychological effect-in battle of Dyrrachium Varangians with dane axes frightened Norman horses, knights fled.
    So maybe frighten_foot and frighten_mounted abilities for 2 handed axemen?

Quote Originally Posted by Wareg View Post
    Do you mean ''druid'' ability, ritual chant? It works in MTW II, I've try it (also some American Natives in MTW II Kingdoms use It)
    About psychological effect-in battle of Dyrrachium Varangians with dane axes frightened Norman horses, knights fled.
    So maybe frighten_foot and frighten_mounted abilities for 2 handed axemen?
    Koultouras has created a rather unique unit ballance!
    Spearmen for example have extra bonuses (from 2-5 according to each unit's status and faction) against any kind of cavalry!
    If these two sugestions realy work they would be some realy good additions to EDU ballancing!