Thread: Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge AAR

Default Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge AAR

Having finally bought the game, I figured I might as well write an AAR to share the awesomeness that this game is. Be warned though, this game tends to appeal more to the hardcore strategy fans than the casual ones.

Situation
    Toward the end of 1944 the Allied dash across France was grinding to a halt along the borders of Germany. Except for the US offensive around the German city of Aachen where, during the fall, the US First and Ninth armies had taken the City and pushed another 20 miles further east into Germany, the front lines had more or less become static. To the Allied command the German Army appeared to be beaten, or at least certainly incapable of offensive action. After the debacle at Falaise and the subsequent rout across France what was left of the German army seemed to be licking their wounds behind the relative safety of the west wall.

The real situation was quite different. Since September, Hitler had been carefully husbanding his reserves under the code name "Abwehrschlacht im Westen" (Defensive battle in the west) and in complete secrecy had rebuilt three powerful Armies; two armored (5th and 6th Panzer Army) and one infantry (7th Army.) Relying on the atrocious Ardennes weather and terrain to mask his advancing troops from the Allied Air Force, his plan was to break through the thinly held American lines in the Ardennes forest, cross the Meuse River and capture the strategic port of Antwerp, thus splitting the Allied command in two and forcing them to sue for peace.

O-Tag, December 16th:
    The attack began in the 5th Panzer Army sector in the early morning hours of December 16th, 1944 as several infantry “sturm” groups began crossing the Our River, infiltrating westward. The opening barrage was delayed until 0600 in this sector with the intent of achieving an element of surprise. In the 6th Panzer Army to the North and 7th Army to the South, the attack began at 5:30 in the morning as a tremendous artillery barrage rained down on the unsuspecting American troops for over 30 minutes, causing few casualties but completely disrupting the American front line communications.

In the 6th Panzer Army sector, The LXVII Corps attacked the US positions near Höfen and Monschau (Scenario #1).

Mission Briefing

December 16th 1944, 0600 hours,

Historical Scenario. Höfen-Monschau sector, Belgium.

The plan for General Hitzfeld's LXVII (67th) Corps, or "Corps Monschau", was to break through the American lines at Höfen on either side of Monschau, push on past Mützenich and take up defensive positions near Eupen, providing flank protection for the 6th Panzer Armee.

On paper, Corps Monschau was to have 2 full strength Volksgrenadier divisions (326th and 246th) at it's disposal. However the 246th was unable to disengage from the fighting east of Aachen, and 2 battalions of the 326th were unavailable as well for the initial assault on December 16th.

Axis Briefing
    Herr General, our impressive artillery barrage on the enemy lines is lifting - the great offensive has begun!

Unfortunately you are missing almost half of your command due to the intense fighting still raging East of Aachen. We are hoping that some more of your units will be able to join in the great offensive soon but for now you must make do with what you have.
    Your area of operations lie on the extreme right flank of the offensive so your task is to secure the high ground overlooking Mützenich, and occupy the towns of Monschau and Höfen. This should provide a firm shoulder to defend against the expected American counterattack. It is imperative that you secure your objectives with minimal losses.

The enemy is dug in on the ridge ahead of you, but intelligence reports that they are mostly green troops and very few in numbers. Good luck!

Default Re: Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge AAR

Battle Plan

For this scenario, it seems that I have the 326 Volksgrenadier Division (VGD) available to me. In theory, a whole division, even a green one, should be sufficient to achieve the few objectives assigned to me. Unfortunately, I am missing 2 battalions (bn), leaving me with only 3 bns. Even more annoying, 326 has no armored assets, while recon shows that the Americans have plenty.

Although reinforcements, in the form of the 2 missing bns and 1 company of stugs, should arrive within the next few days, there is no point in waiting. I only have 3 days to capture my objectives, so no time should be wasted.

Looking at the map, I decide on the following battle plan:

Phase 1

• 1 Bn / 752 will try to infiltrate the American lines and attack Mützenich from the North.
    • 1 Bn / 753 will attack Höfen South.
    • 1 BN / 751 will attack and occupy the hill overlooking Höfen (Alzen).
    • Kampfgrupple A (KG A), consisting out of my best infantry company and an infantry gun platoon, will try to infiltrate the American lines and block the road from Monschau to Höfen, thus allowing 1 Bn / 753 and 751 to capture Höfen uninterrupted.

Phase 2

• Of the promised reinforcements, 1 Bn will be send to capture Höfen north, the other will be send to attack Monschau. The Stugs will reinforce the attack on Höfen.

Phase 3

• Once Höfen has been cleared, 1 Bn will be send to Kalterherberg, 1 Bn to Monschau and the remaining Bn will defend Höfen.

Day 1, 06:00

Day 1, 0800

All seems to go according to plan. In the north, 1 Bn / 752 managed to penetrate the American lines undiscovered. Forward elements have already reached the hill overlooking Mützenich.

In the south, the attack on Höfen is also progressing well. As of yet, enemy artillery activity seems to be limited, though that will without doubt change soon. Meanwhile, KG A ( Fussilier company and IG platoon) has almost reach their blocking position, thus hopefully preventing enemy reinforcements from joining the battle for Höfen.

day 1, 1200

KG A has reach it's blocking position, just in time to ambush an American platoon of tanks coming in from the north. After a short firefight, 4 of the 5 American Stuarts are destroying, causing the enemy platoon to rout.

Meanwhile, 1 Bn / 753 has largely cleared Höhen south, though 1 Bn / 751 is still struggling to gain a foothold on it's objective.

Day 1, 1600

Despite repeated attacks, the Americans defending Mützenich managed to beat of multiple attacks by 1 Bn / 752. At this stage, I am content to let the AI handle this objective.

The main focus lies on Höhen, where 1 Bn / 751 has finally managed to gain some ground.

Day 1, 18:00

Final screenshot of the day. Allthough we are slightly behind schedule, I am still confident in the plan.
    More good news, 2 Bn / 751 has arrived, and has been assigned a staging area east of Höhen north. Once they have formed up, they will be tasked with the capture of Höhen north.

Day 2, 0100

1 Bn / 751 has finally captured the hill overlooking Höhen south, while 2 Bn / 751 is busy clearing out Höhen north.

Day 2, 1200
    Slowly, but certainly, the American defenders of Höhen are being pushed into a pocket. Notice the silver cross, indicating that one of my infantry companies decided to use the close contact with the Americans as an opportunity to surrender.......

Day 2, 1600
    The defenders of Höhen are beginning to surrender, it's just a matter of time now.

Day 3, 0200
    Höhen has been secured. Meanwhile, 1 Bn / 751 made up for the time they took to capture Alzen by the quick capture of Kalterherberg.

Also, fresh reinforcements in the form of 2 Bn / 753 have started the attack on Monschau. I had hoped that it was undefended, but no dice.

Day 3, 0800
    Reinforced by 2 Bn / 751 coming from Höhen, the defenders of Monschau are overwhelmed. Only Mützenich remains in American hands, despite the attempts of 1 Bn / 752

Day 3, 1000
    5 Stugs and a fresh company of infantry are joining the attack on Mützenich from the south.

Day 3, 1200
    The stugs and and infantry company finally tip the scale in the favour of the Germans. With Mützenich occupied, all objectives of this scenario have been achieved.

Final score