Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minas-Tirith, A Tale of Bravery

Default Minas-Tirith, A Tale of Bravery

This is a story inspired by LoTR, but it is not always Lore Based and it was intended to be as such. I am not english so I will certainly make spelling errors. Post feedback about the story and comments/appreciations. If you don't like it, tell me politely and I'll probably consider stopping this story if you really don't like it.

BUT REALLY, post feedback if u do not like some aspects of my story, TELL ME!!! I cannot read your mind, I'll continue writing it in the same way you probably hate if you don't tell me.

(Could someone tell me how to edit posts? I want to add chapters but I don't know how to make them visible in the same thread.)

I Hope You Enjoy!

Minas-Tirith, A Tale of Bravery

Chapter 1 : The Stewards of Minas Tirith
    By a sunny and clear morning, the guards were standing at the very top of the famous wall of Minas Tirith. The Otram was a long big wall that encircled and protected the city. It saved its inhabitants more than once in tragic situations, but these were contagious times of laziness where men and women, princes and leaders, farmers and merchants were not motivated to do their usual tasks. This resulted in a festering stagnation throughout the kingdom. The guards did not feel pride when they were appointed as ''Watchmen of the Wall''; they simply accepted the task for the higher salary they would get. That title means great responsibility and in the times of the great kings, such duty was accomplished with pride and dignity, discipline and honour.

After the victory of the ''Last Alliance'', the defeat of the Mordor armies, the once terror became forgotten memory. But at what cost? The King of Gondor was assassinated and his son fled the kingdom and was soon forgotten as well. A line of noblemen, called the Stewards of Gondor, took control of the kingdom. To avoid usurpation of the throne, they all swore, as written in the documents of succession, that when the king of Gondor returns, they shall renounce the throne and bow to the new king. The Stewards were not evil men, but when they became the lords of Gondor, they were not able to bring prosperity to the land and the kingdom slowly stagnated.

The current Steward of Gondor, Echtelion the first, an old man dressed in luxurious dresses made of the rarest materials, was a man of honour and pride rather than a strategic and tactical commander. He preferred to oversee the kingdom rather than leading an army during battle. His son Denethor the second was the current captain and commander of the Gondorian armies. But the band of carelessly trained men he commanded was a fraction of the once powerful Gondorian army that defeated the Mordor host at the ''Battle of the Last Alliance''. Denethor was a man of adventure and he enjoyed his task even though he did not have the chance to prove himself in battle. The small skirmishes he had fought on the Western borders were easily won and proved no challenge for him.

Chapter 2 : Dark Lord re-awakening
    However, something uncommon happened during Echtelion's rule that will shake the very tranquility of Gondor: the forgotten orc forces of Mordor lurked out of their dark lairs once again, eager for vengeance and domination of Middle Earth...

The orcs reconstructed their Dark Lord's fortress of Barad-dur and set foot on the Black Gate of Mordor and Tower of Minas Ithil, now named Minas Morgul or the tower of sorcery. It is said a dark sorcerer called Witch-King now made it his home and expands his dark influence throughout the land. With the Dark Lord Sauron physically slain and his mind looking over Middle-Earth from atop Barad-dur, the Witch-king now leads the newly raised and organised armies of Mordor into war.
    Orcs are now attacking the lands East of the Great River Anduin. Hundreds of them now roam the lands called Ithilien. However, they encounter there some resistance...
    Chapter 3 : The Ithilien Rangers

The Steward of Gondor refused to send men to help the people of Ithilien cross the River Anduin for safety. He thought that sending his son with barely 2000 men, who were far from prepared to fight this war, into the wild forests of Ithilien would be suicide. Losing a battle this early wouldn't prove efficient in the upcoming evident war.

Echtelion sent tried using diplomacy, but the diplomats he sent into the Dark Lands of Mordor were sent back with their heads missing. He couldn't believe that such things happened so fast: the re-awakening of Mordor, the capture of Minas Ithil and the arrival of the mysterious sorcerer who was told to be evil itself. He ordered conscription believing this would soon put an end to this turn of events.

He also received news from his spies and diplomats to the north that goblins and trolls from the Misty mountains and Grey Mountains are attacking the Elves of Rivendell and Dwarves of Erebor as well as the unnoticed Free People Of Eriador.

--''Meh! A once powerful kingdom now set to ruins! What a waste! Fornost would have made a good outpost in Harad.'' he said to himself.

Such information, he thought, did not concern him. He had more important issues to attend...

''The lands East of the river Anduin are home to an immense forest and brave men.''

The man stood looking at his friends and followers from atop an old crate. His name was Duros, a middle aged man born from Gondorian parents, who now found himself leading the Ithilien Resistance against the Mordor foe. He is the man who first stood up and resisted the Mordor assailants, made of stinking orcs, huge trolls and fearsome commanders called Nazgūls, when his people were in need of a leader. His parents dead many years ago, he had nothing to lose.

The people of Ithilien were not usual Gondorians, they lived in stone houses dispersed throughout Ithilien, making them the perfect target for the creepy spiders and creatures that lurk the forest. Being often attacked in their own houses, they developed an unusual style of fighting that was uncommon to the Gondor traditional white plate armour and heavy shield and sword. Stealth and the long range of their customized bows and arrows gave them a chance to fight back. Although skilled bowmen, they will have to use their acquired skills to fight an army of orcs that is far more vast and fearsome than the giant spiders.

The Ithilien Rangers organised a small but battle-hardened resistance of 1700 men that came from all the corners of the great forest of Ithilien. Duros decided they would attack the Mordor armies when they are separated and weak in number. He decided to do as such to give time to the families of the Ithilien a chance to cross the River Anduin for safety. Unfortunately he knew this tactic wouldn't work for much time and sadly, he was right. A vast Mordor host of 5000 orcs and a dozen trolls, sent by the Witch-King to investigate the killing of their raiding parties, are now entering the forests of his beloved homeland.

Duros assembled his men for a speech:

--I have assembled all of you here because there is an important decision that is not mine to take. As you may have heard Mordor sent 5000 orcs led by a nazgūl and they are now entering our forests. It is a huge army and our leader Echtelion seems to have abandoned us along with Ithilien. I see looking at me 1700 brave men, but what is the limit of bravery? Madness? I think so, but what I am certain is that these creatures want to disrupt our way of life, to take away our freedom and to use our forests as they will. Are we, the men of Ithilien, going to fall back and let our forests burn without fighting? Are we going to abandon bravery, that was for so long our code of honour and retreat? Without a fight? Without a chance to defend our way of life? Tell me! Are we such men?

The sound that then echoed throughout the forest would have scared the bravest of men.

--''Never'' said some of the men.

--''No!'' cried others.

--''Then my brothers, drink and feast tonight, for tomorrow we march Eastwards for Mordor!'' shouted Duros.

The men ate and drank as they willed and went to sleep all knowing that the upcoming fight is going to be a test for the strongest of them. In the meantime, at Minas Tirith, 1000 men have already answered the conscription and were training at the Minas Tirith barracks unsure of their fate.

Default Re: Minas-Tirith, A Tale of Bravery

Like really could someone tell me how to edit posts? Thanks!

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

You need 25 posts, so go spamming

Haha, I'll just write my opinion on stuff and it would get me posts.

But how do you like the story? I saw some spelling errors I wanted to correct them before being humiliated but TWC got me.

Btw, this story is not over after 3 chapters, it's you who decide if I make more chapters, so PLEASE feedback!!

Anyone?!

Ok, I made the 4th chapter, I'm gonna spam even more until I reach 25 posts, because that is the only way for me to actually edit my story in TWC and make it look better. Sorry if that will bother you I'll probably delete some posts after i reach 25.

spam(i need 25 posts to edit my story sorry)

spam(i need 25 posts to edit my story sorry)!!

Ok for some reason I can't edit my posts so I'm gonna post chapter 4:

Chapter 4 : Against All Odds

Duros was in front of the army, they were marching East to meet the orcs forces in an open plain. He decided to fight on the edge of the forest, to provide cover for his men while having perfect aim of the enemy. He looked back, he was glad his men were not drunk or in a bad state from last night's feast. He did not like the idea of a feast before going into battle, but that was the last drink of many of them and he just could not deny them a last cheer with friends and family. He looked them in the eyes, saw eagerness and fear at the same time. He even saw some of them smiling at him.

--Who would have though my ultimate test in this world would be to lead my people against ALL odds? he told himself.

A scout came out of nowhere and urgently joined Duros, he was still catching his breath:

--Orcs... 5000... they are camped outside the borders of the forest as you said... I saw no Nazgūl.

--No nazgūl? This may be our lucky day! he said sprinting to a higher point. Men, the orcish horde is without a leader! Our scouts report the Nazgūl is not with them! Follow me!

The men started moving at a faster pace towards the orc camp. When they arrived on the outskirts of the forest, Duros left half of his men in the woods and only showed the other half to force an unprepared attack by their foes. As he had brilliantly planned, orc battalions started moving towards them without cohesion. Trolls followed them looking surprised to see humans come at them.

Duros was happy with what he saw, the unprepared orc army was rushing towards them. He was about to order his men to prepare themselves for the first volley when he saw a flying beast rising from behind the mountains near the orcish army. At the sight of it, the orc army stopped advancing and watched as the beast drew circles around the battlefield. It finally landed near Duros' army.

--It is brave of you to come and defy the will of Sauron, but it is also foolish! Who is the man who led thee to your doom? he said with a terrifying voice.

--It is me. said the leader of the rangers.

--How foolish of you to think your pack of bandits and peasants can defeat the armies of Mordor. You should have fled with the others while you still had the chance.

--Who are you? A nazgūl? said one of the rangers breaking the momentum.

Duros knew it was a nazgūl. From what he read about them they were ghost-like fiends dressed in black robes and wearing a 4 foot sword often riding dragon-like creatures. They were the most loyal servants of Sauron, like his physical form in this world, his right hand.

The Nazgūl did not answer. He flew back to his army and started drawing circles around the battlefield. The Mordor army soon organised itself into battalions and you could hear their drums chanting from afar...

Shea O'Gorath's Avatar Primicerius

Dude this is some good stuff
    The chapters could be a little longer
    but for someone who isn't fluent in English your doing better
    far far better than some who are

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Chapter 5 : A Painful Sacrifice
    The orc army marched towards them, looking more terrifying as they drew closer.

--Stand your ground men! he did not say anything else.

The orcs where in range...

--Ready... aim...fire! Duros shouted, firing himself the first arrow.

Thousands of arrows were released in the air.

--At least the weather is with us today. he said.

The first volley hit most of the front line of the orcs, but it enraged them and they blew their horns in unison. The front battalions started rushing up towards the forest. Luckily, there was no troll involved in the charge.

--Fire! he screamed with anger. Let non alive!

3 more volleys were shot at the enemy and the orcs were almost in the forest. Duros suddenly remembered the nazgūl and he swiftly looked up to see that he was still drawing circles around them.

--Now, now or never! he said to himself while making a sign to one of his men.

The ranger took what looked like a banner and waved it in the air. Duros looked left and right on the edge of the forest, that now nearly encircled the coming orcs, and saw the hidden half of his army rushing from both sides to attack their flanks.

--For freedom! he screamed looking at his men before charging down the orcs, his men following.

They slew orcs with their small but swift one handed swords. Cutting their heads, thrusting them and killing their moral. Some of the men of Ithilien fell before him, their unforgiving leather armour was only helpful in skirmishes and ambushes, where they needed agility and stealth more than protection. Several hundred orcs were killed or mortally wounded. So precise were the blows, that the first wave of Mordor was crushed. The survivors fled the Rangers of Ithilien and their own kind, indeed they feared their Mordor overlord's wrath as much as they feared the rangers.

The battle seemed to be turning in the rangers favor and without waiting they fired two more volleys before charging again on the remaining forces which now consisted of trolls and twice as much orcs. The moral was nonetheless high and the Rangers of Ithilien followed once again their leader in glorious charge.

The orcs at the front started falling like their kin. The Ithilien resistance was losing few soldiers while killing many. They killed so many that their swords where all covered in the black blood of orcs. The trolls joined the battle and at first the monsters started to overwhelm the men with sheer brute force. But being only 8 of them, they were soon isolated from the main army and became harmless facing enemies from all sides. Being very tough and having impressive hard skin, only few of them died. Having less orcs around him, Duros took advantage of the situation and looked at the battlefield and up searching for the nazgūl. He was not circling anymore! Duros started searching for the beast but could not find it!
    --Where are you? he said angrily to himself.

His eyes were attracted down the battle by the nazgūl he was searching. Flying at full speed towards them, it released a strident cry that drew the attention of the rangers. The cry was so painful for his ears that Duros had to cover them to reduce its power. The rider and its mount stroke down a group of rangers killing four of them instantly with the beast's strong claws. In that same moment, the suddenly unguarded trolls returned to battle freeing themselves from the isolation and joining the orcs. With the turn of events, Duros knew everything was lost. His men had to defend both aerial and ground attacks. He saw his brother Alethil gazing at the nazgūl half scared half concerned. Alethil was a good looking man that was still in his 20s. Fierce warrior, but not yet disciplined. He still had the fire, that made youngsters so agile and effective, burning in him.

--Alethil! The battle is lost, take the men to Osgiliath!

--And you?

--Do as I say! Do no question me. The battle is lost, lead them to Osgiliath! repeated Duros.

--Your my only family, I will not let you behind! said the rebellious man.

--All of this was my fault, I will stay! It is my decision, my faith!

--No, I...

--Retreat!! Fall back to Osgiliath!! said Duros to force his brother to oblige.

After shouting the retreat, he looked in his brother's eyes, feeling his pain.

--I'm sorry... whispered Duros.

The rangers disappeared in the woods along with Alethil, still reluctant to abandon his brother. Duros turned towards his enemy:

--I will not let you do harm to my people... whispered Duros looking only at the nazgūl and its beast.

He drew an arrow out of his leather quiver and taking his time he aimed the hearth of the flyer. The nazgūl was already heading towards the fleeing rangers at great speed.

--Die. he thought.

He then released a strong and precise shot on the flyer's hearth. The beast immediately fell on the ground with the nazgūl untouched. Duros fell to his knees and looked towards the forest. The nazgūl was approaching determined to seek vengeance.

Father, he thought, lead our people to safety, for I have failed!

He then closed his eyes forever...

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Nice
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

the more positive comments I receive, the more I write ;D thank you, I can,t wait thought to get Edit right and ameliorate my chapters of errors and newly added content.

I will put more thousands of men(for example instead of 1700 men of ithilien, it will probably be 3000(not a big change because they were still only voulounteer men from the land of Ithilien) or instead of 5000 orcs at the first major battle, it will be 12 000 to make it more tragic and hopeless) basically it doesn,t change anything of the story, number didn't count yet, but it just hads more heroism and glory. Instead of 3000 men from gondor you'll probably have 7500 . However, ill put the changes when I get edit right.

Also chapter 6 should come today or tomorow morning. It's a pretty cool chapter with a siege!!!!! I can,t wait to make a siege!!! Also in chapter 6 we focus more on the gondorian army rather than the rangers. I thought that with the rangers routed out of Ithilien and Duros dead(chapter 5), it will be a good way to transition away from them for some time.

Also just stating that Mordor is certainly not having just the orcs they had in the mordor VS Ithilien battle, as I said they were only a smaller army sent to investigate the death of raiding parties in Ithilien. It is certainly not the whole ''Mighty Mordor army'' just sayin in case you were disappointed.

i csant write chapter 6 until tomorow sorry

chapter 5 is awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast