Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: The Royal Palace of Westminster

Bjorn's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: The Royal Palace of Westminster

I see... I truly wish that he is protected... I'd wish him to be trained so as to become a knight, even if he is knighted by a random nameless knight of the region... And I want him to retain the surname Archer... for security reasons. When you feel he is old enough to know his origin, you may tell him.

Carl von Döbeln's Avatar Crossing the Rubicon

I shall do so!

Richard put his arm to one side and bowed to the man. He never bowed to anyone in his entire life but his father. And he would never bow again to a man. Although Bertrand had stayed for only 2 years, he had gain imense respect from Richard and was considered a dear friend and mentor. God's Speed father...

In his private quarters Richard took on his arms the lad Richard Archer. His bastard son. The eyes of his father were full of water... He sat on a chair, looking out at the night sky. Why did life take from him all that he loved? Where was his beatiful Anne? Where was his Matilda? They all vanashed... like writting on the sandy shores...

The child began to cry, but Richard didn't move.

You cry as well, don't you little one? Said Richard to the young boy. You may cry... you are young... you may cry without repremend... I on the other hand must swallow my tears, for the man they expect me to be.... no... the idea that they expect me to represent... is that of a King... a sovereign... and an idea does not cry... The door sounds a tapping sound.

Enter. Said the King after cleaning his face. A milk maid appeared, shy, it seemed she felt the situation was sad.

M'lord... Did I come in a bad time?
    She asked.

Richard didn't answer, but gave the child to her and ordered. Feed him...

He then motioned to leave but stopped at the door. He seemed to think for a moment and then turned to her. Later on come to my quarters... And without even seeing what was her reply, he left.

Tancred arrived with Henry close to boot. He looked rather ragged, having ridden through the night with Henry clutching about his waist. He did not doubt the boy's riding skills, just his ability to make such good time. He arrived outside the gate and beckoned to a guard

We have come to see the King presently.

The man was let in after he identified himself. Richard was in the throne room, a wooden chair and a wooden desk in the middle of the room, a map of England in the center. The throne was left on the background, forgotten. He seemed concentrated.

When the father and the child came closer he noticed them. Father, I was hoping you would make it here before I leave. I am happy to see that you have. I wanted to make you a proposal. My good Bertrand de Lacey, High Councilor and King's Eye, has retired and left the castle. I wish to find a substitute for the role of High Councilor, and I believe you would be the man for the job. What say you? He said it all pretty plainly "no nonesense" style, he seemed to be pretty busy that day.

Tancred though Bertrand was in rather good health last time he had seen him

Bertrand has retired? How unfortunate, he was a most selfless man and a scholar. If it is the King's wish, I shall fill the roll. Of course this shall mean splitting my time evenly in three places. The Orderhouse in Canterbury, Oxford where my original Parish lies, and the palace. I may be less readily accessible in person, but I will be available. I assume that I shall continue tutoring Prince Henry as well, sire?

Jingo Eugene's Avatar Vicarius

Guy Blackmon arrives at the Palace, eager to deliver good news to the King.
    Jingo Eugene
    "A wise man in times of peace, will prepare for war. Peace is boring, and the wise man has nothing better to do with his time." -Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Tancred though Bertrand was in rather good health last time he had seen him

Bertrand has retired? How unfortunate, he was a most selfless man and a scholar. If it is the King's wish, I shall fill the roll. Of course this shall mean splitting my time evenly in three places. The Orderhouse in Canterbury, Oxford where my original Parish lies, and the palace. I may be less readily accessible in person, but I will be available. I assume that I shall continue tutoring Prince Henry as well, sire?
    Bertrand was the best man I ever had in my service. Said the King to the man's question. But he felt the need to reclude himself and find the wisdom one can only find in silant meditation in a monastary.

That arrangement for me is acceptable. I will send you letters whenever possible with informations regarding events
    (ooc that means you'd basicly know everything that's going on in the palace and in the inner and outer kingdom politics) and will also expect advices whenever you deam appropriate. I only ask that you are completely honest with me, being able to disagree without fear. And also be comprehensive when I do not follow your council, for I am known to being hard headed.

Yes, you should continue tutoring Henry. How is he fairing?
    Asked Richard. Until that moment he had not said a word to the boy, nor even gave him as much as a glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingo Eugene View Post
    Guy Blackmon arrives at the Palace, eager to deliver good news to the King.
    The man was hastily let in to see the King. He seemed to be writting some letters with the help of a scribe. When he saw the High Chancelor he told the Scribe that he could leave and then he went towards the man and shook his hand. How are you my friend? How was it in Rome?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn View Post
    Bertrand was the best man I ever had in my service. Said the King to the man's question. But he felt the need to reclude himself and find the wisdom one can only find in silant meditation in a monastary.

That arrangement for me is acceptable. I will send you letters whenever possible with informations regarding events
    (ooc that means you'd basicly know everything that's going on in the palace and in the inner and outer kingdom politics) and will also expect advices whenever you deam appropriate. I only ask that you are completely honest with me, being able to disagree without fear. And also be comprehensive when I do not follow your council, for I am known to being hard headed.

Yes, you should continue tutoring Henry. How is he fairing?
    Asked Richard. Until that moment he had not said a word to the boy, nor even gave him as much as a glance.
    Tancred thought for a moment, then acquiesced.

Then we are of accord. Bertrand shall be missed, may he find solace in the tranquility of the monastery. I will attend to my duties with diligence and faithfulness.

Tancred ruffled Henry's hair

The lad fairs well. I have grown quite fond of him, but I will continue to instill discipline within him. He will learn better when he learns to respect his elders. I imagine that a privileged life has made him soft, but I shall soon correct this.

Tancred thought for a moment, then acquiesced.

Then we are of accord. Bertrand shall be missed, may he find solace in the tranquility of the monastery. I will attend to my duties with diligence and faithfulness.

Tancred ruffled Henry's hair

The lad fairs well. I have grown quite fond of him, but I will continue to instill discipline within him. He will learn better when he learns to respect his elders. I imagine that a privileged life has made him soft, but I shall soon correct this.
    To the first part Richard nodded and said. That is all I can ask of you.

To the part about Henry he nodded as well. He's a Lion, as his father... but unlike his father he was not destined to be a King... For that, he must learn to be humble and a true servent of the Kingdom... I already wronged my second son, John, by not teaching him that early on... You have my permission to use any disciplinary action you deam necessary.

Now, may we move on to your first act as my Councilor? I would like to have your recomendation on another office in the King's Circle... The King's Eye. Without a good Eye the King is blind, for that reason I must have a loyal and intelligent Eye under my service. His job is basicly to keep me informed in everything that is happening around the Kingdom, and deal with the knowledge in the way he deams necessary.

Jingo Eugene's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn View Post
    The man was hastily let in to see the King. He seemed to be writting some letters with the help of a scribe. When he saw the High Chancelor he told the Scribe that he could leave and then he went towards the man and shook his hand. How are you my friend? How was it in Rome?
    "Rome is as beautiful as ever milord, I shall give you the full details of my journey later. I have excellent news. The Pope has taken the news of the Conquest with joy, you have been given his blessing and has actively given an order to the local clergy, essentially demanding that all clergy in England be loyal to you. Now you practically have control of all faithful Catholics on the island, once news gets around, it may even ease the establishment of control over England." Blackmon said excitedly, "The trip was beyond well worth it. Forgive me for not delivering this earlier."
    Jingo Eugene
    "A wise man in times of peace, will prepare for war. Peace is boring, and the wise man has nothing better to do with his time." -Anon

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Giles arrives, to see to the marriage of his daughter, and the kings son.

Quote Originally Posted by Raglan View Post
    Giles arrives, to see to the marriage of his daughter, and the kings son.
    He is promptly let in by the King. Lord Somerset, how fares thee? From what my servents say you come to address the topic of the marriage between John and your daughter, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Jingo Eugene View Post
    "Rome is as beautiful as ever milord, I shall give you the full details of my journey later. I have excellent news. The Pope has taken the news of the Conquest with joy, you have been given his blessing and has actively given an order to the local clergy, essentially demanding that all clergy in England be loyal to you. Now you practically have control of all faithful Catholics on the island, once news gets around, it may even ease the establishment of control over England." Blackmon said excitedly, "The trip was beyond well worth it. Forgive me for not delivering this earlier."
    Richard smiled broadly, those were indeed great news. You have done me well, my good Chancelor! For your hard work I'm giving you 5,000 crowns.

Now, I want you to do all in your power to spread the word all throughout England. Hire all the men you deam necessary to arrange that. Also, I want you to go personally to the more powerful clergy of England and also to Grand Master Tancred, to give this news.

Tancred weighed his options, but found his list of suitable candidates lacking.

In truth my King, those which I would recommend to you now rot in cells in Lincolnshire. Enzio Wight has served me faithfully. His travels take him all over the country - I daresay only I have been as frequent a traveler as he. I have sent a message to his captors, imploring his release, but unsurprisingly I have not received a reply.

Tancred frowned

I fear that the recent military disaster has seen the loss of all the Order's men-at-arms as well as the loss of one of our marshals...

Tancred weighed his options, but found his list of suitable candidates lacking.

In truth my King, those which I would recommend to you now rot in cells in Lincolnshire. Enzio Wight has served me faithfully. His travels take him all over the country - I daresay only I have been as frequent a traveler as he. I have sent a message to his captors, imploring his release, but unsurprisingly I have not received a reply.

Tancred frowned

I fear that the recent military disaster has seen the loss of all the Order's men-at-arms as well as the loss of one of our marshals...
    Lord Wight is a loyal man, but do you think he has the cunning that the job of Eye undertakes?

I am going to start an attack in a few days, as of now we are just reuniting the forces to send the army of England to those that captured Lord Wight and the other lords. Hopefuly they are still with their captors. If not, we will see to negociations...

And of the Order's losses. I will try my best to help replenish your forces as soon as possible.

I thank you, I was most disturbed to hear what had become of Lord Wight and the others, speaking nothing of the fates I forced my men to march to.

Tancred felt a pang of guilt course up his spine as a shadow crossed his face. He had been feeling incredibly guilty of the whole affair. Perhaps in his zeal he had sent his men to die in a suicide attempt...without carefully researching what exactly they had in store for them.

Regardless, they died as martyrs...they are in heaven with the Father. I steadfastly believe that Wight possesses the inquisitive and critical traits that you would find useful in a man assigned to such a post.

I thank you, I was most disturbed to hear what had become of Lord Wight and the others, speaking nothing of the fates I forced my men to march to.

Tancred felt a pang of guilt course up his spine as a shadow crossed his face. He had been feeling incredibly guilty of the whole affair. Perhaps in his zeal he had sent his men to die in a suicide attempt...without carefully researching what exactly they had in store for them.

Regardless, they died as martyrs...they are in heaven with the Father. I steadfastly believe that Wight possesses the inquisitive and critical traits that you would find useful in a man assigned to such a post.
    I give you permission and funds to build any sort of monument you feel appropriate for your fallen brothers. Said Richard. He then looked Tancred on the eye. And I will do all in my power to have the survivers taken back to Lionsheart...

Do not blame yourself, for that is how war goes... we make mistakes, and we pay the consequences.