Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: The Royal Palace of Westminster

Bjorn's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: The Royal Palace of Westminster

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    Lord William Neville arrives to see the King
    He is promptly let in, with the courtesy owed to an Earl. The King sat on his throne of stone, the Iron Crown atop his head. His mind shrouded in a veil of thought. When he saw Lord Sussex he came back to reallity. Ah, Lord Sussex, to what do I owe the honors?

Last edited by Bjorn; March 12, 2012 at 08:20 PM.

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

William walked into the throne room and bowed before the King
    The honour is mine, your majesty. I have come to discuss the battle plans for attacking York, when doth wish to invade your majesty?

by the spring of 1073 I should have an army of 4250 men your majesty

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

William walked into the throne room and bowed before the King
    The honour is mine, your majesty. I have come to discuss the battle plans for attacking York, when doth wish to invade your majesty?

by the spring of 1073 I should have an army of 4250 men your majesty
    As of now the plan is to take the shires west from Nottingham, while a mercenary company takes the shire of Lincoln to the west. When we have completely dominated all the Shires south of York we shall attack the Ridings and destroy our foes... Said Richard. It is good to know that you have already made preparations for it. But I do believe the men we already have will be enough to defeat the Saxons. I sujest you save your coins for other days. It might be necessary.

Citizen

William was caught dumbfounded by the king's request, he worried that the king would not greatly reward him after the saxon conquest
    Your majesty art thou certain, i do not wish to seem lesser than other lords for not providing my king with a large host of men

Section Editor ES

William was caught dumbfounded by the king's request, he worried that the king would not greatly reward him after the saxon conquest
    Your majesty art thou certain, i do not wish to seem lesser than other lords for not providing my king with a large host of men
    You may do so if you want, good Sussex, I am just advising you against it for we already have 15,000 men in our steed. Said Richard. I just find it a waiste of your money, although the reason behind it be noble.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn View Post
    You may do so if you want, good Sussex, I am just advising you against it for we already have 15,000 men in our steed. Said Richard. I just find it a waiste of your money, although the reason behind it be noble.
    William bowed
    If that is what you advise your majesty than that is what shall be done
    William paused for only a moment
    your majesty before i take my leave doth thou have any task that you wish me to complete?

Section Editor ES

William bowed
    If that is what you advise your majesty than that is what shall be done
    William paused for only a moment
    your majesty before i take my leave doth thou have any task that you wish me to complete?
    As of now, no, but as the war goes on we shall see... Said Richard. If all goes according to plan, with the end of this war I shall open a council to decide many important things. I shall expect your presence as a proeminent member of the Peerage, Lord Sussex.

Majonga's Avatar Primicerius

A Letter arrives from Jean de Rouen, delivered by a mercenary rider clad in red and gold.

To his Majesty Richard I King of England and Duke Of Normandy,

I send word from Lincoln, the Saxons have withdrawn burning the land as they go. I have sent men to secure the town. However it appears the Saxons are in full retreat to York. As I write this letter I am marching North to join you army in preparation for the assault into Yorkshire.

Your Servant, Lord Captain Jean de Rouen.
    "All warfare is based on deception. Hence: when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near." - Sun Tzu

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn View Post
    As of now, no, but as the war goes on we shall see... Said Richard. If all goes according to plan, with the end of this war I shall open a council to decide many important things. I shall expect your presence as a proeminent member of the Peerage, Lord Sussex.
    Off course your Majesty, i will always try my best to serve the Crown.
    William was interested in the council idea, he wondered what the king had in mind
    Your majesty would thou be so kind to share some of your ideas for this council?

Section Editor ES

Off course your Majesty, i will always try my best to serve the Crown.
    William was interested in the council idea, he wondered what the king had in mind
    Your majesty would thou be so kind to share some of your ideas for this council?
    It shall go from Land Division to granting of titles, to more abstract matters as the founding of institutions... Said Richard. One thing that I believe will be of importance is the settleing of a perminent house of Parley in the capital of London... A place for the Lords to reunite once every so often... I myself shall make it a compromise to never promugate any law before seeing the will of this House and considering it in my decision. It shall be an important stage for political debate.

ooc: basicly, an archaiec version of Parliament, more similar to the councils made by William the Conquorer with his Tenants-in-Chief....

Citizen

Great idea your majesty, i shall ensure presence at the council
    William bowed and took his leave

Section Editor ES

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Giles Mortimer arrives after the very lengthy peace progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Raglan View Post
    Giles Mortimer arrives after the very lengthy peace progress.
    He is promptly let inside

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Your Majesty. I bring back good word. We have peace. The saxon lords are willing to swear you loyalty, and recognise what they should have done years ago.

Your Majesty. I bring back good word. We have peace. The saxon lords are willing to swear you loyalty, and recognise what they should have done years ago.
    Richard smiled. That was good news indeed. That is fine news, Lord Somerset! Congratulations for your success. And what did they ask in return for their submission?

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Nothing, they are simply to be accepted as lords like any norman would. The lands north of the ridings is already their families lands, so no need to give any.

Nothing, they are simply to be accepted as lords like any norman would. The lands north of the ridings is already their families lands, so no need to give any.
    Good, good. Then it is done! I shall prepare the announcement in a special meeting. I'll see you there, Lord Somerset. Said Richard. Visibly pleased. Tell the lords of the North to present themselves in Westminster to swear fealty to their King...
    Last edited by Bjorn; March 20, 2012 at 08:33 PM.

Majonga's Avatar Primicerius

OOC: Timewarp until after the 2nd Council has ended.

IC:

Jean entered one of the back rooms of the castle, summoned as he was by the King. He bowed deeply before his Lordship, who was seated on a bare wooden throne, forgoing cushions or any luxury of comfort. At the king's bidding Jean rose.

"Sire, I thank you for granting me this audience. We have much to discuss. First there is the matter of the men which served you in the war. Do you wish to have the contract annulled? I am sure you have no wish to continue to pay upkeep for troops you no longer require." He paused for a moment, when the King did not speak he spoke again.

"That is not the only reason I have come. Sire I have a proposition for you. As it stands, the strongest Castle in all of England stands in Canterbury and ironically is held by the Church. Such a situation must be remedied. What I have in mind in something extra-ordinary, a true symbol of Norman power in England." Jean reached behind him to pull out a scroll, which he unravelled, he presented it to the King. On the scroll was schematics and tables of numbers, most which made little sense to Richard. However at the end was a sketch drawn into the vellum.

"It shall be called The White Tower, The White Tower of London. The designs are for the strongest fortress in the British Isles, a symbol of your power and of your conquest. I can already gather 10,000 Crowns towards construction, but my masons estimate that such a behemoth will cost some 30,000 Crowns at least to construct. That is why I come to you my King. Only you have the tax raising powers to construct the Tower of London."
    "All warfare is based on deception. Hence: when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near." - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Majonga View Post
    OOC: Timewarp until after the 2nd Council has ended.

IC:

Jean entered one of the back rooms of the castle, summoned as he was by the King. He bowed deeply before his Lordship, who was seated on a bare wooden throne, forgoing cushions or any luxury of comfort. At the king's bidding Jean rose.

"Sire, I thank you for granting me this audience. We have much to discuss. First there is the matter of the men which served you in the war. Do you wish to have the contract annulled? I am sure you have no wish to continue to pay upkeep for troops you no longer require." He paused for a moment, when the King did not speak he spoke again.

"That is not the only reason I have come. Sire I have a proposition for you. As it stands, the strongest Castle in all of England stands in Canterbury and ironically is held by the Church. Such a situation must be remedied. What I have in mind in something extra-ordinary, a true symbol of Norman power in England." Jean reached behind him to pull out a scroll, which he unravelled, he presented it to the King. On the scroll was schematics and tables of numbers, most which made little sense to Richard. However at the end was a sketch drawn into the vellum.

"It shall be called The White Tower, The White Tower of London. The designs are for the strongest fortress in the British Isles, a symbol of your power and of your conquest. I can already gather 10,000 Crowns towards construction, but my masons estimate that such a behemoth will cost some 30,000 Crowns at least to construct. That is why I come to you my King. Only you have the tax raising powers to construct the Tower of London."
    Richard seemed thinkative. I prefer to keep the mercenaries for a while now... but I want them to seem like they were scattered.... I want you to keep them under your service and beeing payed, but to all accounts it must look as if the contract was finalized. Can you do that for me good Lord? I would also like to know the cost for the upkeep, for I shall take away some public funds if necessary to keep them... I trust you shall give me a good price?

When that was said, Richard looked at the parchment and seemed very interested in what was written. This seems very interesting. I have as of now enough money to, together with your 10.000 Crowns, build this. If you wish I can have it given to you and you be in charge of its construction. The White Tower of the Lyon Dynasty... yes, it would be a lasting memory of our reign.

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Harald arrives, desiring to speak with the King in private.