Page 1 of 31 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: The Royal Palace of Westminster

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Carl von Döbeln's Avatar Crossing the Rubicon

Default The Royal Palace of Westminster

The Palace of Westminster was strategically important during the Middle Ages, as it was located on the banks of the River Thames. Known in medieval times as Thorney Island, it was first-used for a royal residence by Cnut the Great during his reign from 1016 to 1035. King Edward the Confessor, the penultimate Saxon monarch of England, built a royal palace on Thorney Island just west of the City of London at about the same time as he built Westminster Abbey. Thorney Island and the surrounding area soon became known as Westminster. The Palace, or rather, the stronghold, is a rather magnificent and imposing structure, and is currently the royal residence of King Richard the Conqueror...

Issues
    William (22), John (20), Robert (18), Lenore (17), Mary (15), Henry (13), Philip (10)

Last edited by Carl von Döbeln; February 09, 2012 at 12:34 PM.

Majonga's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: The Royal Palace of Westminster

OOC: I know this hasn't been taken yet, but I am not sure where else to seek a direct audience with the king.

IC: Jean de Rouen arrives at the castle, he holds a letter from the king summoning him to the castle to discuss state matters. He leaves his weapons at the guardhouse and continues on to his audience with King Richard.
    "All warfare is based on deception. Hence: when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near." - Sun Tzu

Bjorn's Avatar Praefectus

ooc: THis shall be a timewarp in the time that I am already king

Richard was on the throne, the Iron Crown on his head. He was talking with his councilors, although not seeming to agree with most of what they were saying.

Jean was announced in and Richard smiled and went down from the throne to greet him. Hail, Jean of Rouen. I was wanting to meet with you. So you are the man who wishes to have his Guild under the patronage of the iron crown?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn View Post
    ooc: THis shall be a timewarp in the time that I am already king

Richard was on the throne, the Iron Crown on his head. He was talking with his councilors, although not seeming to agree with most of what they were saying.

Jean was announced in and Richard smiled and went down from the throne to greet him. Hail, Jean of Rouen. I was wanting to meet with you. So you are the man who wishes to have his Guild under the patronage of the iron crown?
    Jean forsook a bow and kneeled directly onto the carpet at the king's feat. "Your majesty, I am deeply honored that you would wish to meet me in person." He stood at the king's beckoning and answered his majesties' question "Yes, your majesty, As I set out in my letter, the foundation of a Royal Guild would be one more support to solidify your power. As king you should have the monopoly of manpower and as such I offer you a price lower than any other man in England. Should any of your vassals move against you, they could not possibly raise an army to compete.

There is another matter of which I did not mention in my letter. The guild will of course be open to more... discreet forms of violence, shall we say. I promise to my king that he shall enjoy a hefty discount in that area as well and that no contract shall be taken against him or his family, to even suggest so would be treason.

I return for this I humbly request a small investment into founding the guild. As but a poor freedman I can raise on my own account but half of the required funds (2,500 crowns). I require further investment, If his majesty could spare even a small amount, it would be humbly recieved."
    "All warfare is based on deception. Hence: when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near." - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Majonga View Post
    Jean forsook a bow and kneeled directly onto the carpet at the king's feat. "Your majesty, I am deeply honored that you would wish to meet me in person." He stood at the king's beckoning and answered his majesties' question "Yes, your majesty, As I set out in my letter, the foundation of a Royal Guild would be one more support to solidify your power. As king you should have the monopoly of manpower and as such I offer you a price lower than any other man in England. Should any of your vassals move against you, they could not possibly raise an army to compete.

There is another matter of which I did not mention in my letter. The guild will of course be open to more... discreet forms of violence, shall we say. I promise to my king that he shall enjoy a hefty discount in that area as well and that no contract shall be taken against him or his family, to even suggest so would be treason.

I return for this I humbly request a small investment into founding the guild. As but a poor freedman I can raise on my own account but half of the required funds (2,500 crowns). I require further investment, If his majesty could spare even a small amount, it would be humbly recieved."
    Richard gave the man a hand so that he could get up. I have no need for discreet violance, assassination is the tool of the weak. But I accept your other offer with glee. You shall be my Lord Captain, and shall recieve an annual fund of five thousand crowns.

You may talk to my Master of Arms and have a coat of arms made for your guild
    (ask Raglan ooc) and your men alone will have the right to use it.
    Last edited by Bjorn; February 05, 2012 at 07:16 AM.

"Thank you sire, you are most generous. However there is one more thing? would you be willing to supply some of the funds upfront to aid found the guild? I have an offer from Earl de Tallebois of 2,500 crowns if I render services solely to him and your lordship, would you be willing to match that?"

Jean asks, hoping he hasn't pushed the King too far.

Barbarian Nobility's Avatar Tribunus
    South Australia - Land of the Bogan and home of the serial killer

Ivo de Tallebois arrives at the Royal Palace and requests a private audience with the King...

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoticBarbarian View Post
    Ivo de Tallebois arrives at the Royal Palace and requests a private audience with the King...

Ivo is shown in. The King was on the throne room. The organisation of the Kingdom seemed to be taking most of his time, but Ivo was attended imediatly.

The King went down from the throne to great him, a smile on his face. Hail, how fares thee, Earl? Said Richard, giving enfases to the word Earl, contrasting with Ivo's old title of Count. Richard was happy to have that title changed.

Ivo is shown in. The King was on the throne room. The organisation of the Kingdom seemed to be taking most of his time, but Ivo was attended imediatly.

The King went down from the throne to great him, a smile on his face. Hail, how fares thee, Earl? Said Richard, giving enfases to the word Earl, contrasting with Ivo's old title of Count. Richard was happy to have that title changed.
    Ivo allowed himself a smile and shook his old friends hand...

Busy, as I imagine you are as well...I will not encroach upon your time too heavily your Majesty. There are some important matters between our two houses that I wish to discuss; it is goodly that our two houses are bound in blood - You are the direct descendent of the father of our people Rollo. My maternal grandfather was Maugar Count of Corbeil, third grandson of Rollo. We are kin, albeit very distant kin...

Ivo grinned as the two walked leisurely about the throne room...

My beloved wife passed two months ago delivering our daughter...I have two daughters Sire, and I'm afraid that the starkness and austerity of the de Tallebois holdfast is lacking in a feminine touch. Your sister, the princess Bernedette, her husband fell at Hastings leaving her a widow...I would ask of you her hand in marriage. Your eldest son is young and unmarried; I have a daughter who will reach her flowering in several years...We should bind ourselves together in familial alliance Sire; The King of the Norman's and his most loyal servant and prosecutor of his will bound together by blood and steel...your supremacy would be complete, utter, unquestionable...

Ivo studied the King's face, attempting to read his thoughts...

Ivo allowed himself a smile and shook his old friends hand...

Busy, as I imagine you are as well...I will not encroach upon your time too heavily your Majesty. There are some important matters between our two houses that I wish to discuss; it is goodly that our two houses are bound in blood - You are the direct descendent of the father of our people Rollo. My maternal grandfather was Maugar Count of Corbeil, third grandson of Rollo. We are kin, albeit very distant kin...

Ivo grinned as the two walked leisurely about the throne room...

My beloved wife passed two months ago delivering our daughter...I have two daughters Sire, and I'm afraid that the starkness and austerity of the de Tallebois holdfast is lacking in a feminine touch. Your sister, the princess Bernedette, her husband fell at Hastings leaving her a widow...I would ask of you her hand in marriage. Your eldest son is young and unmarried; I have a daughter who will reach her flowering in several years...We should bind ourselves together in familial alliance Sire; The King of the Norman's and his most loyal servant and prosecutor of his will bound together by blood and steel...your supremacy would be complete, utter, unquestionable...

Ivo studied the King's face, attempting to read his thoughts...
    If my sister is to marry again, and my son is to have a wife, be it best with someone of our kin. Said Richard with a smile. I will gladly unite the House of Tallebois with the House of Normandy once more. My firstborn will marry your daughter when she has her first blood. As of my sister, I will conceed you her hand in marriage. Treat her well.

And of your services as my prosecutor, as you put it...
    He grinned. I have been thinking a while now that this role should be made formal... I was waiting until the end of the Coronation so to give you this title, but I postponed it until the end of the 1st Council. (OOC information here, the 1st Council will be when the lords unite to divide the land and such lol) Now that the Kingdom seems to be stabilizing in a more controlable rate, I believe it is time to give the office a try...

The name of the office in question is the King's Hand... Its function is what the name implies... When a lord disobeys the Terra Legis
    (OOC, the Laws of the Land, also will be delt with in the 1st Council) or is in need of punishment for another gross misconduct, it will be you who I shall send... you shall be my Hand... to reach upon my enemy's land and break him with one blow... Richard then adopted a more formal stance. Lord Ivo de Tallebois... will you accept the charge of carrying out the office of Hand of the King?

Ivo dropped to both knees and bowed his head...

It would be my personal privellage Sire...You have honoured me greatly this day...

Ivo looked up at the King...

And I would return this honour with great wealth, if you would listen to what I would propose...

Ivo dropped to both knees and bowed his head...

It would be my personal privellage Sire...You have honoured me greatly this day...

Ivo looked up at the King...

And I would return this honour with great wealth, if you would listen to what I would propose...
    Richard gave him his hand to help him get up, for some reason he never liked too much talking to people while they were kneeled. You've cought my ear, tell me what is on your mind.

Ivo took the King by the arm and helped himself up...

The Realm you have inherrited is in Chaos; Norman and Breton warbands predate your domain at will, burning, pillaging and sacking cities at a whim. If it does not stop your inheritance shall be nothing but cinders and ashes...Your first royal edict must be that no venture, either domestic or foreign should take place without the King's consent. The second edict must be that no foreign venture must take place without the direct command or presence of the Royal family or your Hand. The cities of Angland belong to you Sire, the Kingdoms of Wales and Ireland are sheep within your paddocks Sire. The gold gleaned from the sacking of foreign cities should be for the Crown to diseminate amongst the peerage, the land conquered from these ventures should be titled as your discretion and nobody elses...

Ivo took the King by the arm and helped himself up...

The Realm you have inherrited is in Chaos; Norman and Breton warbands predate your domain at will, burning, pillaging and sacking cities at a whim. If it does not stop your inheritance shall be nothing but cinders and ashes...Your first royal edict must be that no venture, either domestic or foreign should take place without the King's consent. The second edict must be that no foreign venture must take place without the direct command or presence of the Royal family or your Hand. The cities of Angland belong to you Sire, the Kingdoms of Wales and Ireland are sheep within your paddocks Sire. The gold gleaned from the sacking of foreign cities should be for the Crown to diseminate amongst the peerage, the land conquered from these ventures should be titled as your discretion and nobody elses...
    At the begining of the conquest I gave a great deal of liberty to the men to carry out their attacks... now they should stay their hand and go back to their Lords, as the land was divided.

I will not disencourage the taking of lands further from our current domain, and the Lords have the right to fund their expeditions outwards from the Kingdom, but a fifth of their gains in gold and expendables will be destined to the Crown, to be distributed among the peerage.
    Said Richard as he heard the man. Wales and Ireland shall fall under our might with time, as soon as all Angland is ours. Then we shall throw our gaze to Wales and take it for ourselves.

One thing you must understand is that the Hand's power is limited by the other offices of the Kingdom. The one who will give these orders to the men will be my appointed Voice. He shall spread the word and make sure that all the Lords know of it. He will give permissions and take them representing me. But if these things are broken and the men do not respect my words, then the Hand may act as he sees fit, for the betterment of the Kingdom.

At the begining of the conquest I gave a great deal of liberty to the men to carry out their attacks... now they should stay their hand and go back to their Lords, as the land was divided.

I will not disencourage the taking of lands further from our current domain, and the Lords have the right to fund their expeditions outwards from the Kingdom, but a fifth of their gains in gold and expendables will be destined to the Crown, to be distributed among the peerage. Said Richard as he heard the man. Wales and Ireland shall fall under our might with time, as soon as all Angland is ours. Then we shall throw our gaze to Wales and take it for ourselves.

One thing you must understand is that the Hand's power is limited by the other offices of the Kingdom. The one who will give these orders to the men will be my appointed Voice. He shall spread the word and make sure that all the Lords know of it. He will give permissions and take them representing me. But if these things are broken and the men do not respect my words, then the Hand may act as he sees fit, for the betterment of the Kingdom.
    I understand. So if or when disputes arise between the peerage in the inevitable land grab which is about to occur, I shall possess extra judicial powers to resolve conflicts free of lawful reprecussions in order to maintain the King's peace?

I understand. So if or when disputes arise between the peerage in the inevitable land grab which is about to occur, I shall possess extra judicial powers to resolve conflicts free of lawful reprecussions in order to maintain the King's peace?
    Exactly. Said Richard seriously. Your word will be as good as mine when it comes to judging. The only person who can override your judgement is the King himself. But you will have to postpone judgement if the King's Voice says that it must be postpone, for a time of at least two months.

Exactly. Said Richard seriously. Your word will be as good as mine when it comes to judging. The only person who can override your judgement is the King himself. But you will have to postpone judgement if the King's Voice says that it must be postpone, for a time of at least two months.
    Ivo nodded his head as the King spoke...

That is goodly Sire. If there is nothing else, I would take my leave and prepare for the arrival of my betrothed the princess Bernedette...

Tobias Delacroix arrived at the Castle. It had been stripped of all Saxon heritage. No Saxon banners, not even dishes. He spoke to a Guard, then proceeded to sit on a bench in the Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius View Post
    Tobias Delacroix arrived at the Castle. It had been stripped of all Saxon heritage. No Saxon banners, not even dishes. He spoke to a Guard, then proceeded to sit on a bench in the Hall.
    After a few minutes he was permitted entrance to the throne room. It was a cold place, made of stone and wood. It seemed not like a place for idleness, but for work. The throne itself seemed crafted to give the impression of martial power, carved with strong angles and made completely of stone, it seems it was not made for creature confort.

Richard was there, on the throne, seemingly waiting for the man. His crown was made of steel, and was a simple band, no points or frivolous things as of other crowns. It had three stones on its front, encarved in a triangular position, with knot ornamentations around it all.

Hail priest, what brings you to the iron crown? Asked Richard.

After a few minutes he was permitted entrance to the throne room. It was a cold place, made of stone and wood. It seemed not like a place for idleness, but for work. The throne itself seemed crafted to give the impression of martial power, carved with strong angles and made completely of stone, it seems it was not made for creature confort.

Richard was there, on the throne, seemingly waiting for the man. His throne was made of steel, and was a simple band, no points or frivolous things as of other crowns. It had three stones on its front, encarved in a triangular position, with knot ornamentations around it all.

Hail priest, what brings you to the iron crown? Asked Richard.
    He bowed for a moment before speaking

"Your Majesty, I am Tobias Delacroix, a Priest temporarily serving at the Westminster Abbey."

He bowed once more

"Before I begin, I congratulate thee for your victories over the Saxons, and the implementation of the Norman Throne."

He bowed once more

"But your majesty, I have more...serious matters, or at least matters I consider more serious."

He cleared his throat. Never had he stood before a monarch. Not even in France.

"Westminster was, as you know, sacked, but then all of the items except for a select few were returned. This was only because myself, and a colleague, Father Tancred, stood and defended what we thought to be of Christian importance. I fear that elsewhere, such as Canterbury and York, that the Priests and Monks will not be treated so kindly since they are Saxons, but still Christians nonetheless. I beg for your majesty to please safeguard these sanctuary's. Innocents flee to them for protection and comfort, but instead they are just being herded like sheep to slaughter by Lords and Knights of Normandy."

Page 1 of 31 123456789101126 ... LastLast