Thread: Making catapults, trebutchets and ballistas unavilable.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Making catapults, trebutchets and ballistas unavilable.

Greetings,

Is there any way to mod the game files so that the AI stops recruiting catapults, trebutchets and ballistas all together? The enemy tends to use them in 90% of all field battles, which ruinbs the balance. Can I, for example, mod the files so that catapults, trebutchets and ballistas become to expensive for the AI to recruit? If so, could you please point me to the relevant folder and what I should do with it.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Default Re: Making catapults, trebutchets and ballistas unavilable.

C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\SS6.3\data
    export_descr_unit
    Code:
    type             NE Ballista
    dictionary       NE_Ballista      ; Ballista
    category         siege
    class            missile
    voice_type       Heavy
    banner faction   main_missile
    banner holy      crusade
    soldier          NE_Ballista_Crew, 16, 4, 0.8, 0.30
    officer         northern_captain
    engine           ballista

attributes       sea_faring, hardy, can_withdraw, artillery
    formation        1.5, 1.5, 3, 3, 3, square
    stat_health      1, 1
    stat_pri         1, 1, no, 0, 0, melee, artillery_mechanical, piercing, knife, 15, 1
    stat_pri_attr    no
    stat_sec         55, 3, ballista, 280, 50, siege_missile, artillery_mechanical, piercing, none, 0, 1
    stat_sec_attr    ap, bp, launching
    stat_pri_armour  3, 3, 0, leather
    stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat        1
    stat_ground      0, 0, 0, 0
    stat_mental      11, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 6
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 500, 150, 90, 70, 370, 4, 90
    armour_ug_levels 1
    armour_ug_models NE_Ballista_Crew
    ownership        england,  norway, scotland, hre, france, denmark, portugal, spain, aragon, venice, milan, sicily, papal_states, teutonic_order, jerusalem, eastern_european, greek
    era 0            northern_european, southern_european
    era 1            northern_european, southern_european
    recruit_priority_offset    -25
    Code:
    stat_cost        1, 500, 150, 90, 70, 370, 4, 90
    Change the highlighted parts to make them more expensive. 500 is the recruitment cost, 150 is the upkeep.

The only problem with making them more expensive is that the AI still won't recruit other units, they'll just expend their resources on the siege units...

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

No, the AI take cost into consideration, you could aslo change the recruit_priority of the unit too.

Maybe to be on the safe side the recruit_priority should be modified, then. You can't trust the AI...every little helps.

Lazy's Avatar Biarchus

The AI has so much money he will produce them as long he has enough money and they will be available for building...
    In my opinion the best way is to:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaidonni View Post
    Maybe to be on the safe side the recruit_priority should be modified, then. You can't trust the AI...every little helps.
    But... if in a settlement the others units are not available to be build ( they have been built and need to replenish ) the AI will still build those siege engines...

If you want to remove the "mixing" completly you must go into export_descr_buildings.txt
    Now thatīs a bit tricky... you can change the training requirements for ballistas... ( there is more then just one... but all have "Ballista"/"Catapult"/"Trebuchet" in their name )

Search for all "Ballista" and add the bold part at the end of the line
    Code:
    recruit_pool "NE Ballista" 1 0.05 1 0 requires factions { bla, bla} and not event_counter some_event 1
    now you go for "Catapult" and "Trebuchet" add again add at the end of the line the bold part
    Code:
    recruit_pool "NE Catapult" 1 0.05 1 0 requires factions { bla, bla} and event_counter some_event 1
    Now the AI will be able to train ballistas ( but NOT catapults ) until this event happens...
    after this event occurs it will be not able to train ballistas anymore... but catapults will be available!

This way you can prevent the mixing of ballistas with catapults and trebuchets!
    Do that with all "Ballista"/Catapult"/"Trebuchet"!

I forgot the exact folder where the events.txt file is... somewhere inside data/world/...
    This is where you have to choose an event... it does not really matter which one!
    Perhaps it should not be so far from the beginning of the campaign as you do not want to play with ballistas only for 100 turns!

If you want this restriction only for the AI you have to duplicate ( copy and paste ) the whole line and add to one of them:
    "and not some_event 1 and is_the_AI"... the AI part is spelled wrong...
    but you can make a search for "AI" inside this file and you will find the right expression very fast as it is mentioned there some hundred times
    Last edited by Lazy; February 02, 2012 at 10:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWarts View Post
    ...the woman trampled didn't look impenetrable. So they ran through her.

Thanks for the help all, I'm looking into it.

How do I change recruit priority?
    Last edited by Barry Lyndon; February 02, 2012 at 02:00 PM.

Search for recruit_priority_offset in export_descr_unit.txt in your SS 6.3 data folder. Negative numbers mean less units of that type will be produced, and positive numbers the opposite (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...riority_offset). It will probably take some fine-tuning to get it just right so that the AI uses siege equipment, but don't spam the blasted things.

PS: Third post down in my search link is where I got my information from. Anyone else care to let me dine on their brain?
    Last edited by Kaidonni; February 02, 2012 at 02:27 PM.

Lazy's Avatar Biarchus

Look in Ferdiads post at the "code" stuff... the very last line
    Just make sure the number you enter is the lowest!
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWarts View Post
    ...the woman trampled didn't look impenetrable. So they ran through her.

Roman Soldier's Avatar Civis

Simply remove their lines from the "export_descr_buildings", or use a hidden resource tag to make it available for your country only.