Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Shogun 2: Art of War [1.0.4]

Default Re: Shogun 2: Art of War [1.0.3]

Dear AveiMil, after the recent patch I am unable to uninstall your mod in addition to the crashing when loading a battle =[
    Any progress on fixing bugs due to the patch?

You're unable to uninstall it? How do you mean? Right click the installer file (Art_of_War_1_0_3.msi) and select Uninstall and it should remove everything.

You might also want to delete the preferences files in %appdata%\The Creative Assembly\Shogun2\battle_preferences if you've done custom battles with AoW installed. I'll add a function that cleans that automatically in the next installer.

The mod tools I need to fix problems with AoW are not ready yet so I can't really do much.

Got it thanks! all hail avei!

Alright, so admittedly, Im a little new to this, and perhaps do not possess the necessary fluency to understand the mechanics behind this. But for the life of me, I cannot get this thing to work. Do i need to install the mod in the Shogun folder? Does Steam affect this? When I installed it the first time, there was a little folder in my start menu, but when I tried re-installing, the folder is gone, and launching the game doesn't work. I read thru these posts, and my HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve\Steam\InstallPath (refered to on page 4 of this post) doesn't exist like that. I have no Valve in the software section.

So, basically, I'm all F'd up. Any ideas or instructions would be appreciated. Reading thru all the comments has gotten me quite excited to try this, but my mental obstacles seem to have gotten in the way.

Thanks

It's probably not compatible with the patch to S2 which came with FOTS since there were a lot of changes.

I actually have fixed the issues with the latest S2 patch, though I have not released it yet as I wanted to incorporate new features/changes into 1.0.4 first.

Sadly I've become somewhat disinterested lately and as nobody has seemed to care that it is not playable at the moment I haven't' bothered with it. I think I'm going to release a patch compatible 1.0.4 with some bug fixes later today though and just schedule the new features/changes to later when I care to do it.

If you do not have HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve\Steam\InstallPath in your registry that means there's probably something wrong with your Steam Installation (try repairing/reinstalling steam client). You can browse to your Shogun 2 Data folder manually when installing, however.

I.e. if that registry key does not exist the installer won't know where your steam folder is so it will likely just show the install path as:

C:\SteamApps\Common\Total War Shogun 2\Data\

You'll have to browse to the correct path manually to install if you don't fix the steam client (or just manually create that registry key with path to the steam folder).

To be honest I've been checking like everyday to see if you have patched it haha.

I didn't really like Shogun 2. However, FotS falls more into what I like, so I've just now began looking at mods. I've been checking up on this one since I've bought FotS because it looks really interesting to try out.
    I don't always talk in tautologies, but when I do, I talk in tautologies.

ok, awesome. I figured out. Thanks for the help Avie. It works, just not the battles :p. Lookin' forward to your patch or 1.0.4!

Laetus

thank you!

Default Re: Shogun 2: Art of War [1.0.4] *UPDATED*

Quote Originally Posted by AClockworkOrange View Post
    I didn't really like Shogun 2. However, FotS falls more into what I like, so I've just now began looking at mods. I've been checking up on this one since I've bought FotS because it looks really interesting to try out.
    This mod does not incorporate any changes for FoTS though It's only for the Shogun 2 campaign, at the moment anyway.

1.0.4 is out!

Introduced one of the suggested changes in the thread; flattened technology research cost. It should be much better now but feel free to make improvement suggestions still.

Note that I'm likely to completely overhaul the Civil tech tree in the future.

Did CA open up any new possibilities for your mod(others mods) when they made some of the FotS patch retroactive to S2. I'm just wondering if their were any positive things from that.

I know they messed some things up like movement of the mouse during battle, which their supposedly going to fix soon.

When I use bow samurai with tokugawa, they don't shoot. They stand with their arms out like they are getting their distance. Then keep repeating that until I am overrun... Any ideas??

oh, also, why does it take 8 turns to research the first techs? Flattening is one thing, but it takes you 25 turns to reach a level three tech. IMHO its better to have quicker research rather than slower.

Quote Originally Posted by bnevs16 View Post
    oh, also, why does it take 8 turns to research the first techs? Flattening is one thing, but it takes you 25 turns to reach a level three tech. IMHO its better to have quicker research rather than slower.
    A minor cost drop on the early techs seems a bit called for, it might be a bit too flat. The increased time on farm research has a bit of an unfortunate interaction with the AI's tendancy to overupgrade their castles. Its a pain in the ass to expand without at least the first farm tech since you'll expand yourself into starvation real easily.

I too have problems with my samurai archers sticking their arms out and not firing. Maybe that happens when they have line of site issues? I also think that 8 turns is too much for the starting techs.

Can you reproduce the problem in a Custom Battle? I loaded up a custom battle as Tokuwaga with pure bow units (all bow units there was) but I could not reproduce it.

There is a known sound bug problem where bow units might randomly create the sounds from the cannon unit but I haven't heard of this problem before.

RE technology research time, any specific suggestions? On the short campaign Bushido is 5 turns while Chi is 7 turns.

If we reduce the starting tech's further should the more advanced techs be increased or keep them as is?

Quote Originally Posted by AveiMil View Post
    RE technology research time, any specific suggestions? On the short campaign Bushido is 5 turns while Chi is 7 turns.

If we reduce the starting tech's further should the more advanced techs be increased or keep them as is?
    5/6 turns on the long campaign for the first techs would be fine I think. I feel like theres a line in research times between where it forces you to make decisions (which is good) and where it feels like its punitively denying you tools that you need, and its a little bit on the side of the second right now. I havent gotten to the point where I can research the higher techs yet, but I dont really think a time increase for them is called for. They aren't overpowering and there really are alot of techs to go before you can get to them.

The farm situation is also kinda abit of a bummer. As is, its real easy to end up in a situation where you cant expand because the computer has upgraded all their fortress to level 3 while only having farms at level 2. In my current match I had to vassalize Iwagawa 3 times because I couldnt take the province without starving and the moment I released them, my enemy Oda would declare war on them too and take the province again. Leading me to attacking it, taking it, and releasing it again. It was fairly silly. Dunno what could be done about this? Maybe switch places with a 2nd tier econ tech?

I also dont think the research boosts granted by dojos are working. I had a couple dojos and wasnt seeing any boost.

Good points:

-The altered research times (longer early times and slightly quicker then chi bushido research), aggression of the AI, and the fact that samurai are finally worth it, left me hesitating over whether I have the breathing room to research a chi tech or if i need a better unit now. Which is the first time thats happened ever.

-I like the improved gunpower/siege line of research. Its cool that you can actually get guns, one of the two defining weapon of the real-life conflict, at a point of time where it matters. You finally have a reason to go down that branch of research in general. In vanilla, if you wanted guns you would have to suffer through a couple techs of okay-ish niche units. Which meant you rarely did cause it was the exact opposite of an optimal strategy.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast