Thread: How many hours did you log for Bauldur's Gate 1?

Default How many hours did you log for Bauldur's Gate 1?

I'm wondering how many hours I should expect to put into this game before I start it and if is it the type of game you need to keep playing daily? Or can you put 2 hours into it, wait 4-5 days put 5 hours into wait 4-5 days etc... or does that hinder the whole experience of the game?

Thanks.

Default Re: How many hours did you log for Bauldur's Gate 1?

It depends on how much of the game you want to try out, but you should something upwards of 50 hours for a single playthrough. If you are especially keen on exploring the gameworld and finding as much as you can, you can easily expect 100 hours or more. That's the feeling I had when I played it (the latter way...), but I never actually put a stopwatch next to the PC.
    I'd also say that BG is not the kind of game you can play on-off style - it's simply too large for that, and you will rarely find moments in the game where you can put a definitive break (i.e. "after the next level", because there are no definite levels).

johnhughthom's Avatar Vicarius

You could probably look at the world map and play the game in chunks by clearing specific areas. If you had a few hours to play, you could do 2 or 3 areas, though if you get to a main quest area it could be a bit longer. You might lose track of the main quest, but you have a journal to bring you back up to speed.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

I'd suggest long stretches of playtime.

Back when I still played the whole BG family of games ( including PST and ID), I just kept a notebook at my side to describe where I left off, and what my plan to proceed was before I quit. Sounds a bit silly, but with these vast games it's not actually a bad idea
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Thanks, Tank, John and Manco, much appreciated advice. One more question, does role playing a bad character close to Evil in some ways ruin the first play through? Do you miss out on that memorable moments because you ended up putting people on fire when your character didn't like their attitude or they just pissed him/her off?

Wow I don't remember. In BG2 I remember my save game saying 180. Honestly I would breeze through the first to get to the second.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

johnhughthom's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by JDW View Post
    Thanks, Tank, John and Manco, much appreciated advice. One more question, does role playing a bad character close to Evil in some ways ruin the first play through? Do you miss out on that memorable moments because you ended up putting people on fire when your character didn't like their attitude or they just pissed him/her off?
    I would recommend not playing an evil character for your first playthrough, though I don't think you would miss out on any content. It is simply much more difficult, as you will have Flamng Fist enforcers coming after you at very low reputation, anf items in shops will cost a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    I would recommend not playing an evil character for your first playthrough, though I don't think you would miss out on any content. It is simply much more difficult, as you will have Flamng Fist enforcers coming after you at very low reputation, anf items in shops will cost a lot more.
    Yes your right and I think it would kind of ruin the whole "adventure" if your playing a grouchy and angry character.

Thanks for response.

What johnhughtom said - the game basically gets noticeably harder when you play an evil character, but the storyline still works out well with that kind of character. And that's all the spoiling I will put in here for that matter...
    Anyway, I'd suggest playing a good character for starters, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    What johnhughtom said - the game basically gets noticeably harder when you play an evil character, but the storyline still works out well with that kind of character. And that's all the spoiling I will put in here for that matter...
    Anyway, I'd suggest playing a good character for starters, as well.
    Okay so I'm going to create a good character later but I'm just wondering. I want to make a Dark mage, somebody that just uses spells that involve death. Is it best to choose Mage still or specilize in a certain one like Necromacer? I guess I still would want a healing spell though, should I just go Mage?

Forgive my spelling.

In Dungeons and Dragons (which BG uses as a basis), life and death spells are primarily the domains of clerics/druids, not wizards/sorcerors (which would fit your idea of a "mage"). The "mage" classes do have some death magic at their disposal (among which is one of the most powerful death magic spells), but they overall can't compete with the others in this area, especially not in terms of healing spells. So, if you really want to combine healing and death magic, I'm afraid you will have to leave the classic "mage" behind and go for the "priest". Also note that you will have to choose one type of spells over the other, because polar opposites (as in life vs death) usually don't work together or have you end up with a worse overall spell selection. Also note that the spells available to you are partially dependent on your characters alignment - good characters obviously would prefer healing magic over death magic and vice-versa.

Whatever your choice, clerics tend to be the best starting class, because they combine good and useful spellcasting with an acceptable performance in melee combat.
    Last edited by Tankfriend; February 03, 2012 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    In Dungeons and Dragons (which BG uses as a basis), life and death spells are primarily the domains of clerics/druids, not wizards/sorcerors (which would fit your idea of a "mage"). The "mage" classes do have some death magic at their disposal (among which is one of the most powerful death magic spells), but they overall can't compete with the others in this area, especially not in terms of healing spells. So, if you really want to combine healing and death magic, I'm afraid you will have to leave the classic "mage" behind and go for the "priest". Also note that you will have to choose one type of spells over the other, because polar opposites (as in life vs death) usually don't work together or have you end up with a worse overall spell selection. Also note that the spells available to you are partially dependent on your characters alignment - good characters obviously would prefer healing magic over death magic and vice-versa.

Whatever your choice, clerics tend to be the best starting class, because they combine good and useful spellcasting with an acceptable performance in melee combat.
    Ah okay, so what exatcly do mages do then? What type of magic spells do they usually learn? Oh and I don't understand why do Priests lean towards spells that kill rather than mages?

Quote Originally Posted by JDW View Post
    Ah okay, so what exatcly do mages do then? What type of magic spells do they usually learn?
    They have a very wide selection of spells, depending on what you specialize the character on. Basically, you can have anything from damage dealing, supporting or summoning spells - fireball, magic shield, summon monsters etc.
    Oh and I don't understand why do Priests lean towards spells that kill rather than mages?
    Evil "priests" lean towards damaging death magic spells. As I said, "mages" also get some of these, but it's usually not their primary repertoire. You can push them towards it, of course, but they won't be as focused on it as their counterparts.

Cúchulainn's Avatar 我不是老外,我是野蛮人

Quote Originally Posted by Manco View Post
    I'd suggest long stretches of playtime.

Back when I still played the whole BG family of games ( including PST and ID), I just kept a notebook at my side to describe where I left off, and what my plan to proceed was before I quit. Sounds a bit silly, but with these vast games it's not actually a bad idea
    And with no real journal system to keep you up to date on everything you've done and everyone you've pissed off. Getting back into it after long stretches away can leave you quite clueless.
    First Child of Noble
    I've had my fun and that's all that matters
    Je Combats L'universelle Araignée