Thread: Asking for a pounding

Hawkeye74's Avatar Tiro
    Based in Indonesia originally from Scotland East Coast

Default Asking for a pounding

Since installing Darth`s fantastic mod battles are can become incredibly messy.

As much as I don`t wish to criticise, I know that any criticism is taken constructively.

Having 8000+ south of Prague after destroying the city Austria sent an army of roughly 5000 against me, mainly light troops and several units of cav.

Seems the AI likes a beating, so I stood my ground and watched as all cav charged my front lines (conscripts) and smashed them, only fusiliers in the second line and attack column on the left saved me from disaster.

I`m not used to that kind of pressure from the AI.

4000 Austrians holding the road west of Vienna, I attacked with 8000+, I would assume that in this particular case the AI would hold position and take the hit, however, as I moved my lines forward into range the AI then attacked, this has happened several times...and it seems the compulsion to melee in a blob still rears it`s ugly head from time to time.

usually the overlapping, reforming, wheeling then running into my lines...it can only be the bug.

On attack the AI seems to know what it`s doing, flanks volleys crashing weak points in my lines making for some of the best battles I've experienced in totalwar.

However, on the defensive the AI by the looks of it doesn't know how to. Always seeming to go on the offensive, even when outnumbered.

I noticed also fords, when I'm attacking and the AI has the advantage, he won`t sit back and pound me as he should as I try to cross and gain a foothold, he`ll send all he`s got at me across the ford, even if I am numerically superior.

maybe this is one of those hardcoded thingymijobs that we just have to live with, but living with it makes it easier (if unfixable) thanks to Darth and his team.

peace.
    Ships! I see no ships!

Default Re: Asking for a pounding

I have expierenced a similar but alternate case you have decribed. On the offensive beholds brilliant battle of epic proportions, however when I attack their armies, all the enemy seems to do is reform their line and only send forth 7-10 regiments out of their 30-40 to meet my advance. The enemy is constantly reforming as never has a defensive posture set up; their cannons do rarely fire as they never unlimber even when it is clear that I am in range.
    I hope this issue can be adressed.

However I have found a simple way to combat this, bring your army next to the position of the enemy army or city and they will attack you, it is guaranted then that the expierence will be desirable.

Hawkeye74's Avatar Tiro
    Based in Indonesia originally from Scotland East Coast

Default Re: Asking for a pounding

I have done what you suggested to get the party started as it were, but it would be nice to have to cover all that ground under fire, diminishing the lethality of of my inf and cav.

On the odd occasion the AI gets it right, as I have seen but rarely, the AI forming up and standing, when I say rarely I mean once the in whole campaign, it makes for fantastic gameplay, in the end it was only weight of numbers that won the day, moving troops into range while under musket and cannon fire...it`s only fair really.
    Last edited by Hawkeye74; January 31, 2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: coffee break grammar
    Ships! I see no ships!