This guide is not meant to be exhaustive nor is it the only way for you to formulate your battle plan, just the general ideas.
- Malleability is important, your plans should be detailed but not ironclad. By the same token you shouldn't leave things too vague.
- Dividing your plan into phases ("Pre-Battle", "First Strike" etc.) can help the moderator understand what it is you want to do more clearly.
- Do not make assumptions, and do not base further assumptions on your earlier assumptions being correct. If anything goes wrong your entire battle plan can fall apart quickly.
- Read the Art of War, thoroughly. It is easier to tell you to read it than it is for me to type out all of the various quotes which are relevant.
- Numbers are important, being aware of how many troops you have before you begin planning and where these troops are can make all of the difference.
- Research the tactics of the units you are using, knowledge is power.