Thread: Ramming in naval warfare in 19th century?

Default Ramming in naval warfare in 19th century?

I checked beta FoTS forum and figure out that ramming has a significant role in naval strategy (especially ironclad class).

May someone spend their time to explain to me how could this "ramming" thing actually work in industrial naval warfare? With latest technologies and bigger cannons, were there any chances that those kind of ships could crash their ships into enemy ships?

Default Re: Ramming in naval warfare in 19th century?

It was indeed a tactic with ironclads, it's accurate, in the american civil war naval battles for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramming

Not exactly naval warfare, but hey it's ramming

The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Engines to full, we're made of steel and they're made of wood. Kaboom.

Quote Originally Posted by IGdood View Post
    Engines to full, we're made of steel and they're made of wood. Kaboom.
    LMAO! That's make sense... best explanation ever!
    Its easy to make war with others, its never been easy when we need a peace.

My holy damn simple tactic; Strike First, Strike HARD and SHOW NO MERCY.

It actually has a lot to do with Ironclads fighting Ironclads. An ironclad with explosive ammunition can do horrible, horrible things to wooden ships without ramming, but in this time period (and it's a short period of time, only done successfully, if I recall, in two wars) the technology behind armour plating was ahead of the ability to penetrate it.

Ironclads and monitors were damn near indestructible from ranged fire, so the idea was if one can not easily sink an armoured ship with cannon fire, one can ram it. A small number of vessels were actually designed with that single purpose in mind. By the 1880s, however, munitions technology had advanced to make that concept obsolete. Protected cruisers and pre-dreadnoughts became the norm, and ramming became a passing fancy.

Basically, it's historically correct, but it wasn't extensively used.
    Therefore, I conclude, that Valve should announce Half Life 2 Episode 3.

Senator

Because of this thread sea battles and how I used to ram smaller ships with aircraft carrier in Battlefield 1942 came to my mind

But ramming sounds good improvement or at least I hope that my huge ships won't just magically stop when bow ships get their way

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Moved to the Historical Research Center from the General Discussion forum.

PM me with any questions.
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; January 30, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

The Battle of Lissa in 1866, between Austria and Italy, featured many ramming attempts from both sides of the battle, some being quite successful. This was provoked due to the fact that early ironclads often did not have guns capable of defeating other ironclads. Ramming is a legitimate tactic with ironclads. Also, if they ever get around to making Rome 2, ramming will be very important since it was the primary method in which the warships of classical antiquity fought (along with boarding).