Thread: RS 2.5 works, RS 2.6 Appcrash!

Default RS 2.5 works, RS 2.6 Appcrash!

Hey guys,

i tried now multiple times to install RS 2.6. I have a clean Rome Total War Gold Install + RS 2.5 Installer + RS 2.6 Files (Extract, then Copy and Paste into the Rome Total War Folder). The Launcher for 2.6 works, i can see the differences, but then when clicking starting the game i get always an Appcrash immediately.

Any possible Fixes or reasons why this happens?

Thanks

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Default Re: RS 2.5 works, RS 2.6 Appcrash!

You 'should' have no problems....that is, if you installed it correctly. Try running RS2 with one of the batch files in the main RS2 directory...like 'RS2_bi.BAT'. If you still can't get into campaigns, then something is wrong with your install. When re-installing, make sure at each step that what you have installed actually works. Therefore, install RTW Gold, start it and test...go all the way into a campaign.
    Then install RS2.5, and do the same. Then 2.6. As I've said, I have installed RS2 a hundred times exactly the same way all of you do, and have never had issues.....unless you are a Steam user. I don't have Steam.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Patrician

You 'should' have no problems....that is, if you installed it correctly. Try running RS2 with one of the batch files in the main RS2 directory...like 'RS2_bi.BAT'. If you still can't get into campaigns, then something is wrong with your install. When re-installing, make sure at each step that what you have installed actually works. Therefore, install RTW Gold, start it and test...go all the way into a campaign.
    Then install RS2.5, and do the same. Then 2.6. As I've said, I have installed RS2 a hundred times exactly the same way all of you do, and have never had issues.....unless you are a Steam user. I don't have Steam.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

So here's what i have done right now.I reinstalled a clean Windows 7 64 Bit. Then again Rome Total War Gold + RS 2.5 works, and Rs 2.6 crashes.Here how i proceed in the installation. Ctrl + A and then Ctrl + C ----> Ctrl + V in the Rome Total War Gold Folder. Yes to integrate all folders in the the folders in the RTW Gold Folder and Yes to overwrite all files. Left side is RTW Gold folder + RS 2.5, right side is RS 2.6 Patch Folder1. 2. 3.

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

I can't make out from the screenies if steam is installed or not. If steam is installed make sure its not located in C:\program files or its x64 variant.

- Download RTW Gold
    - Download Alex
    - Make a backup of the RTW Gold dir (or not)
    - Enter the Alex folder, copy everything, paste in RTW Gold dir, overwrite everything.
    - Download RS2 , extract it into a temp folder.
    - Download RS2.5, extract it into a temp folder.
    - Download RS2.6, extract it into a temp folder
    - Copy the contents of the RS2.5 temp folder into the RS2 temp folder, overwrite everything.
    - Copy the contents of the RS2.6 temp folder into the RS2 temp folder, overwrite everything.
    - Optional; download Hillfort_Fix.zip, extract it into a temp folder, copy content into the RS2 temp folder, overwrite everything.
    - Copy the contents of the RS2 temp folder and paste it into *.SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold folder, overwrite everything.
    - Goto *.SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold\launcher folder, make a new shortcut to your desktop of the Roma Surrectum II.exe
    - Open the Roma Surrectum II shortcut on your desktop; enable steam yes/no by clicking the button and afterward select the *.exe u prefer, Alex, vanilla or BI.

Somewhere in the stickies hidden is a youtube video made by a user which explains it in further detail, but i always have trouble finding it.
    In the 2.6 release thread there is mention of coping a Steam.dll to the data dir, do that if needed.

This works for me - the whole temp folder thingy is a bit elaborate and can of course go a lot faster.

Thanks. First off i have both. I got the Steam and non Steam Version of this game and i got the same problem in both ones. --> Appcrash

What exactly do i do here?

- Make a backup of the RTW Gold dir (or not) ---> Where? A seperate new temp folder anywhere?
    - Enter the Alex folder, copy everything, paste in RTW Gold dir, overwrite everything. ---> What do i copy and paste exactly in this step?
    Last edited by Medieval Knight; September 11, 2013 at 05:32 AM.

Ive got a good idea. Why don't a 2.6 complete new game just be released........ That should do it

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

You make the backup if u try a lot of mods, or if u have a monthly download quota or something.
    U backup *.SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold ; where u place this backup is not relevant, mine is called *.SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold - copy , located in the same directory.

Simply said; browse to *.SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Alexander, then press 'Ctrl-A' which highlights everything in the directory, then while everything is highlighted press 'Ctrl-C', now press backspace to leave the directory and then enter the *.SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold directory, where u press 'Ctrl-V' to paste everything, when prompted with a message select 'yes to all' , overwriting everything.

i did it exactly as you said it and i still get an Appcrash! Also tried it on different OS (Windows 8) and still all the same problem.

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

At which stage? As dvk mentioned, its important to test each stage separately.

Does downloading and playing RTW Gold give any issue's? Does the vanilla game still boot after merging the Gold and Alex folders? U can try to install and play vanilla, merging it with RS2.0 and booting that up to see if it works, and only then proceed with adding RS2.5
    Also, as mentioned before, make sure steam is not installed in the windows program files folders.

Below are links to some youtube guides, i'd watch them thoroughly, chances are u may be overlooking a tiny detail.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlFRSy3GJjc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg_1iWpT-F0

Okay this is quite interesting!

1. First i don't have Alex right here on this installation. So only Rome and Barbarian Invasion.
    2. When starting now Rome or BI on Vanilla it crashes too!!

BUT! 1. When i have RS 2.5 installed and start the Vanilla Rome i get into the RS 2.5 setting: Custom Battles for RTW.exe
    2. When i start BI.exe i get Appcrash!

So even on Rs 2.5 some issues. But RS 2.5 works with the Launcher.

Okay, now i did it as it is described in the first video. Made a copy of Rome TW Gold Folder in C:\RS2 and then copied the merged RS files into that one --> Again Appcrash!

Laetus

I have exactly the same problem as Medieval knight! Copied the rome total war directory outside of the program files, played first a vanilla campaign and afterwards to campaigns of RS2.5. Updating to either 2.6 or the submod Five Good Emperors causes a crash to desktop - "RTW BI is not working".

The strangest thing of it all was that afterwards re-installing 2.5 it had the same problem. The whole folder needs to be deleted. Besides also savefiles on the normal total war directory were deleted (which i keep for other mods).

I've tried a lot of things, but to no success so far.

Patrician

First of all, what versions of Windows are you guys using? We are investigating a means of fixing crashes in Windows8 that are probably caused by an RTW incompatibility with DirectX11. The solution appears to be to copy all of the DirectX9.0c files into the RTW folder.

As for RS2.5 or 2.6 running on Windows7 or XP, I have run them on both, and have had no problems. Steam is another issue. The registry settings for a Steam installed version of RTW may be 'wrong' in order to run a non-Steam version. I'm not sure here, but using both could be an issue.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

onmy6's Avatar Miles

I don't know if you have already done this, but check to make sure RTW.exe and launcher are set to administrator privileges and make sure the executes are NOT in compatibility mode, run them native.

i get Appcrash same here
    What ever i used CFFexplorer to enable more then 2GB memory address(which work for me in RS 2.5)
    i have tried clear install on it but still crash

Patrician

Well, if you look in the RS2 main folder you will see three .bat files....one for each exe (RTW, BI and Alex). You can run any campaign from these just by choosing a number or letter. It could be that your PC doesn't have the correct version of .net or some library that was used to create the Launcher...although I don't know why it would work before, and not now. I don't think the Launcher was ever changed in a way that would result in this.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father