Thread: Question: If I change unit size and 8.0 problems.

Icon1 Question: If I change unit size and 8.0 problems.

If I change unit size from 80 to 120 will this increase chances of ctd?Is there enough data to know?

I don't like playing on large units;80, and though I have a good pc I still don't like pushing the game's limit with huge settings; 160, because i do put the game settings on high for most every thing else.
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    RS2,EB1,RTR,SPQR,Diadochi,RTH,Troy,IBFD,Hegemonia City States,77BC FRRE,more.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

Default Re: Question: If I change unit size from 80 to 120 will this increase chances of ctd.

As long as you got a computer that is decent at running Rome 1 then no.

Default Re: Question: If I change unit size from 80 to 120 will this increase chances of ctd.

Thanks BroskiDerpman, for the reply.
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

I don't really like huge unit sizes, large is just cozy enough. Hard to move huge units in cities too.
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

I like huge, it makes it feel like a real army, heck one thing i liked about rome 2 was modding my units to like 500 per unit, the battles were insane when you have 9k plus troops all in your one stack while the ai has as 9-11k.

I do not notice any crashes much with this mod once in a while it wil ctd on a action or something but a reload and it all good, i would think any modern pc should be able to handle massive amounts of units on screen without too much issue. Just comes down to to your ram and cpu being able to handle the activity, rome 1 should be more than fine with 120.

onmy6's Avatar Miles

Your Pc will handle it fine, unless of course you use windows 8 then it'll CTD on any setting regularly, I have many computers but I run RS2 on Windows 7 ultimate with the unit size set to huge and It works fine. However do I prefer Large unit size myself seems more immersive to me for some reason.

Icon1 Re: Question: If I change unit size from 80 to 120 will this increase chances of ctd.

Quote Originally Posted by onmy6 View Post
    Your Pc will handle it fine, unless of course you use windows 8 then it'll CTD on any setting regularly, I have many computers but I run RS2 on Windows 7 ultimate with the unit size set to huge and It works fine. However do I prefer Large unit size myself seems more immersive to me for some reason.
    Well that figures, I just purchased a new computer with 8.0 widows and was preparing to snuggle up to a long campaign with RS 2.6. I assume if I go into properties and have it run in windows xp 3 that would be safer? Even if that works better, am I still losing out on the reason for having a new pc for playing Rome mods. For instance, as I recall, Xp was limited to using only 3 and 1/2 gigs of ram. Yes, I know not to put Rome in Program Files. Any thoughts, anybody?

90% of my gaming is on Rome mods. If I have to I'll dump 8.0 and go with windows 7. I'll buy it with all that money I'll be saving from buying R2 DLC.

EDIT UPDATE;

Just found this info. I use the SEGA Rome/Barbarian/Alex expansion Disc. I have fought 6 custom battles without a problem. Guess I'll give 8.0 windows a try at campaign level just to see what happens.

Note; other info I've found still says 8.0 does not work well with Rome.

I have discovered that Rome: Total War does not work with the original single game Activison hard copy but does work with the SEGA copy which comes with the Barbarian Invasion Expansion and the Alaxander expansion.

I hope this helps and ends hours of frustration as it did for me. Lucky I had 2 copies huh? Sad really
    Last edited by stackero; November 11, 2013 at 04:45 AM.

onmy6's Avatar Miles

Interesting Stackero, I have the sega version yet it CTD's regularly on Win8, yet no problem on Win7 I put it down to a directX issue ,let us know how you get on, I hope it works out for you

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

I'd be very interested in knowing what the experiences are with Windows8 in general, because I have ideas about how to fix them if there are problems.

See post #24 here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...tability/page2

If someone could run a DxDiag, and get me a full list of the DirectX9.0c files, I'd be interested to know if they could be 'packaged' and then copied into the RTW folder so that the game would use 'them' rather than the DirectX11 versions that come from Windows8. I suspect there may be a .dll or something that is missing a routine, or has something different that RTW doesn't like or understand that's causing CTD's.

Then again, if 'everyone' doesn't have problems in Windows8, we're back to a couple dozen other reasons that RTW can crash.
    Last edited by dvk901; November 12, 2013 at 10:06 AM.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

the "fix" that can't be posted on here because tampering with an exe is a big no no even though it fixes things for most people - fix, actually fixes most problems on windows 8, don't ask why, maybe W8 uses a stupid amount of ram itself heh.

I've been running RS2 on Windows 8 for over a year and now Win8.1 since it was announced and have always played the game with max. no of men per unit - so usually 242 and have had a couple of CTDs in the entire period. When I was running Win7 and helping with the beta testing.. RS2 would easily be using 3GB of ram before it would CTD.

I've just upgraded my gfx card to a AMD 7870 with the 13.11beta9 drivers and so thats fully DX11.1 compatible and have had no issues at all.

Just a quick update. Been sorting things out with 8.0. too much to go through for now. Had to start a new campaign, again as the Romans. Need to play more hours. The crashes I had in the first campaign were related to 8.0. Give me a few more days and if all goes well Ill go over the things I did to improve the game performance. Alot a things members have advised here and pms. Thanks, it been very helpful.

Good gaming.

Icon1 Re: Question: If I change unit size from 80 to 120 will this increase chances of ctd.

My first game RS 2.6 on 8.0 was a disaster. ctd almost with every major battle or siege and sometimes doing nothing the game would ctd with a box saying there's a problem with running the game. After the 4th crash I sought help here and pms. Got alot of help. Thanks to everybody.

Now after 14 years of game time playing RS 2.6 and seeking out the largest battles and sieges I could find, no ctd or any kind of glitch playing on 8.0.

Take note that I was an XP guy forever, so this my not have been a big a problem for me if I'd been more familiar with this os system. For instance, it didn't dawn on me to okay the the game with my virus system. (most important) And another thing I did, I ran a capability check which was by default windows 7, changed it to widows 8.0. So far its good.

The only problem I'm having now is with my chrome browser which I changed from Firefox because it was crashing when having to deal with multiple tabs, and now Chrome won't work on occasion, because it gives a message; does not recognize certificate. Web search says other people are having this problem. Guess they'll sort it out sooner or latter.
    Or, is it another case of being unfamiliar with the os to iron that out?

Any way, will play RS 2.6 awhile longer seeking situations to provoke ctds; large battles with multiple armies involved and sieges with same. But looking good so far. Kinda blitzing the game to get theses situations where I remember having the few CTDs . Will start over later to play a normal pace.

In preference I chose 120 man formations, better than large 80. I prefer huge 160 in battles, but I fight a lot of sieges and huge does not seem to fit there, in my opinion. I do pick; unlimited men on the battlefield. Also, I used the SEGA version Alex exe.

All settings on high except grass, medium. No anti-aliasing. Only other picks are smoke/dust and unit shader. I don't use bloom but do use hi res models. Of course, many of these setting are not recommended for lower end PCs.

I likely did a few tweaks I forgot about but nothing big I think.

If you have any questions I' ll answer best I can or if you have any advice to add please do so, for many may read this, helping some or many.

EDIT: Just wondering, Should posts about OS problems have its on thread as this thread started out as something else entirely? It could go in the tech section, or could be better for a while as a thread up front and noticeable, at least for a while. It may draw more discussions and solutions for some.

One last question for a friend. Does Steam allow custom/multiplayer play for RS2 if you follow the instructions for non-steam version.
    Last edited by stackero; November 16, 2013 at 06:23 PM.