Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SS 6.4 AAR] The Account of Outremer (Update #4 March 29)

Viva Espana!'s Avatar Semisalis

Default [SS 6.4 AAR] The Account of Outremer (Update #4 March 29)

Rules and Format

The following AAR will focus on the Crusader States in the Late Period, beginning in 1222 (took two years to make them historically accurate). In making sure the Crusader States are historically accurate, I have transferred the capital to Acre and given both Jerusalem and Kerak to Egypt in return for Antioch. Unfortunately, Turkey could not be convinced to cede Adana, which at this point was Armenian Cilicia. For the purposes of this AAR we shall assume that Cilicia’s intermittent struggles with Antioch resulted in Turkish Vassalship.

Faction: Crusader States
    Mod Used: Stainless Steel 6.4
    Campaign: 1220 Late Era
    Difficulty: Medium/Medium
    Unit Size: Large

The narrative will be the story of Brother Benedetto Giusetti, an Italian monk commissioned by the Pope to appraise the state of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, and funded by Phillip Augustus of France. The story of a scholar will allow me to extract various sources from other characters of various creeds, places in society, and origins.

This is my first AAR in quite a long time, and I must admit I’m not regular – work and life tend to keep me busy, and I write when the mood strikes me, otherwise I don’t write to a degree I feel is worthy of being read!

Thank you for reading and I look forward to taking this journey through the Levant with you.
    Last edited by Viva Espana!; March 28, 2011 at 11:21 PM.
    "To admit defeat, is to commit a heresy against the Emperor." - Imperial Proverb.
    "Well... that was unexpected." - Last words of Chaos Lord Ulakar the Undefeatable.

Default Re: [SS 6.4 AAR] The Account of Outremer

Welcome here!
    Good luck for the campaign!

Paladin94610's Avatar Senator

Ya. A CS AAR, I hope you will build a strong kingdom of Heavens there. I will be checking for updates. And yeah, welcome to the AAR forum.
    Formerly Iberia Auxilia

The Account of Outremer

Crusader States AAR

From the private journal of Benedetto Giusetti - 1222 Anno Domini

Terra Sancta. Hagioi Topoi. Al-Ard Al-Muqadasa. Ultimately, this place to which I have had the privelage (or the curse) to be assigned is Outremer, the Over-Seas. It is a windy, sandy, and all-together hostile place, where the land and the people wish to kill you for your belief in the True Faith. It is a land of constant war, where men have fought and died in the name of Roman Emperors and Bishops both. And it is my new home.

The Vicar of Christ, Il Papa, himself, has assigned me the role of cataloguer for the Kingdom of Jerusalem and its (fairly new) French lord, Jean de Brienne. I have been ripped from my private studies in Rome, slapped on a ship heading east, and attached to the company of a certain French soldier by the name of Gaston de Beauvais. He is a formidable bodyguard, and from what little I have seen of the Holy Land, I shall need such a man just as much as I shall need King John’s knights if I wish to survive.

I do not deign to believe that my work shall live up to the writings of Fulcher of Chartres or William of Tyre, and my work is thankless, but I hope that from what I write, some poor souls in the future may be enlightened to the plight of Christendom.

The Account

I should begin by giving an overview of the Kingdom of Jerusalem as I see it. The namesake of the Kingdom has been lost for the past thirty-five years, left in Muslim hands since Saladin took control of the city in 1187. The Kingdom has allied itself with the Principality of Antioch as well as the County of Tripoli. As a whole, the ‘Crusader States’ control only two prominent castles: Tortosa and Acre, the island of Cyprus, and the city of Antioch. A tiny strip of Christianity in a sea of Islam.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Contending with the Kingdom of Jerusalem and its vassals are the Sultanate of Iconium (arrogantly naming themselves the Sultanate of Rum, a perversion of Rome) to the north, controlled by the Seljuk Turks and the Fattimid Caliphate, centered on Egypt, to the South. The Principality of Antioch had long looked to Byzantium for protection, but no longer. Following the debacle of the Fourth Crusade the Eastern Roman Empire has been carved into duchies and counties in the style of the Frankish holdings of old, with a Latin Empire based in Constantinople contending with the Empire of Nicaea, held by the Laskaris line, and the will of Venetian Merchant-Princes.

For now, the Crusaders remain in the favor of Emperor Frederick II of the Germanies, as well as the aging Phillip Augustus, but these are powers far away, that can do little to support a besieged Holy Land (or save me in said besieged Holy Land).

The lord of Outremer is one Jean de Candia-Nevers, Count of Brienne, King of Jerusalem by virtue of friendship to Phillip Augustus and marriage to Maria de Montferrat. Despite this rather political rise he has proven able and honorable. He rules wisely and conservatively, knowing that the Muslims currently have him under their thumb. He has invited me to live at his court in Acre, though Gaston has a ship ready, should my scholarly pursuits require me elsewhere.

He has two sons and a daughter. The daughter, Yolande, is betrothed to the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, though she remains with her father for the time being. She is a beauty beyond compare in the East, and were she not already promised, would likely turn the hearts of many a young nobleman in any European court.

His youngest son, Louis, is still but a child and remains in Acre. Alphonse, the eldest, is the most interesting. The Prince of the Kingdom currently resides in Antioch as governor, advised by His Majesty's Seneschal. He is everything a King could want in a son – intelligent, strong, bold, and beloved by his people. However, he is also reckless and proud. I shall watch him closely.

Mixed in with these noble people of French stock is a motley assortment of soldiers, merchants, and pilgrims, all seeking the Holy Land for one reason or another. German mercenaries brush shoulders with Venetian pikemen who drink with Spanish cavalrymen. Indeed, many Spaniards, Germans, and Italians occupy the holy lands now, left from the failed crusade on Damietta, of which His Majesty was a part. I wait to see whether this collection will lead to success or failure, and Gaston remains at my door.

-Fratello Benedetto Giusetti di Firenze
    Last edited by Viva Espana!; March 18, 2011 at 09:28 PM.
    "To admit defeat, is to commit a heresy against the Emperor." - Imperial Proverb.
    "Well... that was unexpected." - Last words of Chaos Lord Ulakar the Undefeatable.

Great start, I love (good) crusaders I'll be following this for sure.

Campidoctor

Great start! Subscribed. Just one suggestion - change the reference you made to the Byzantine Empire into either Roman Empire (more likely since he is in the Levant. But on the other hand he is from Italy...) or the Empire of the Greeks. Byzantium is just too ahistorical +rep

Warmaster Tibs's Avatar Senator

Very good start! Looking forward to more!
    The AI is like a retarded overwieght child. He realy want all those fries, he just does not know how to get them. http://img1.coolspacetricks.com/imag...unny/81776.gif

Quote Originally Posted by ByzantineCaesar View Post
    Great start! Subscribed. Just one suggestion - change the reference you made to the Byzantine Empire into either Roman Empire (more likely since he is in the Levant. But on the other hand he is from Italy...) or the Empire of the Greeks. Byzantium is just too ahistorical +rep

Fixed. Sorry about that.

Artifex

Looks promising. I have one suggestion too; as your AAR grows, add a note of the most recent update in the title to make it easy to see when new episodes have appeared.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

Indefinitely Banned

good start, bro

The Account 1223 Anno Domini

February 20th
    Another year in the Levant, another year looking over my shoulder as I walk down the streets of Acre. This fortress-port is not as safe as some would have you believe. St. Jean de Acre port is a hive of scum and villainy, and I have been informed more than once during my inquiry that ‘these are not the crusaders you are looking for.’

On the border of Judea, so close to the prize that is Jerusalem, yet so far away I have experienced little kindness, save in the monasteries and in the courts of His Majesty. Lord Jean is a gracious man, and has offered me every amenity I desire, but I feel wanderlust, and Antioch calls me. The young Prince grows restless there, so I hear, and I’ve yet to meet so important a personage, despite almost a year in The Kingdom. Gaston has assured me he can secure a boat for travel, rather than risk the mountain road through Tripoli or Muslim-held Damascus.

March 3rd
    I have arrived late it seems. The young Alphonse has already marched off, to the East, against his father’s wishes.

My reception in Antioch has thus far been welcome. The Lord High Chancellor and Governor of Antioch, Dreux de Bourcq, is an interesting figure. He is in many ways like myself – intelligent, cunning, and practical. He also shows concern equal to my own over Alphonse’s actions, doubtless based in no small part that he was sent by King Jean to watch his son.

Lord de Borcq is responsible for the recent alliance struck between the Empire of Nicaea and the Crusader States, returning to the original goal of the Crusades, aiding the Eastern Roman Empire. In addition, he has secured maps of the Latin Empire and the Roman remnants in Asia Minor.

We have spent the days playing chess, discussing the politics of the area such as the goings on of the Principality and the recent annexation of Christian Armenia by the Sultanate of Iconium. Overall, I am content.

June 20th
    Alphonse has taken the ancient fortress of Alep.

For two years King Jean has maintained peace in the Holy Land, despite Ayyubid control of Jerusalem. In the space of a month, Alphonse seems to be undoing this hard work by making war on the Ayyubid Dynasty’s Vassals in Syria. There was good reason to attack the fortress that has been the death and the prison of so many faithful Christians, but now was surely not the time. I am told that Alphonse arrived with a force of zealous Templars and siege artillery, so as to raid and sack the keep as quickly as possible.

vs.

As I was not at the battle, Gaston has procured correspondence from one of the soldiers. Please excuse the prosaic style of this author.

Dear Mother,

I am writing you because the fight for the Holy Land has resumed. I came to Judea with Father and Brother, as you know, but our hopes of coordinating trade with our business partners in Venice fell through. The Rummites to the north made sure of it by encouraging piratical dhows to patrol the waters for Christian vessels. As such, I have pursued the only other career for which I fit (other than merchant’s assistant) – Crusader.

I know you worry, but do not. Brother and Father remain in Antioch, and I have taken up arms and armor in the name of Christ Our Lord with the Templar Order. I cannot be a knight, but I may still fight and gain money enough to send home and educate Lucco at university. The first battle of which I am a part is the siege of Alep, with Prince Alphonse, the French son of the King of Jerusalem. He is a mighty personage, and good to us, promising us fortune and favor should we stay courageous and true-hearted and take the citadel, as the King has directed us.

The siege begins with the assault of our catapults, a holy fist upon the walls of Alep, like the fist of God shattering their defenses. The cursed heathens have given up the walls, but the gates remain closed to us, secured from within.

A section of the wall is brought down and our captain orders us forward to take the fortifications before the heathens can respond. Prince Alphonse is a shining example, galloping through the breach ahead of us all, with his personal bodyguard. I lose sight of him in the press of bodies and the twists and turns of the streets.

What I do see, however, are desert tribesmen riding towards us, down a street, javelins at the ready. It is my first taste of combat, Mother, and I admit, it is invigorating. I ready my spear and shield, like the more experienced men around me, awaiting a charge.

Instead, the tribesmen reap a bloody toll, delivering death unto us in the form of javelins. Rather than wait for death, the Captain orders us forward, and we charge into the mass of Arabian horse-flesh, stabbing left, right, and center with spears.

We are cut off from the crossbowmen and more experienced knights of Jerusalem, and if the javelins keep coming we may be over-run! But then, in the distance, rounding the corner of a blacksmith – Gleaming white! The cross of gold! It is Prince Alphonse! His bodyguard charges into the backs of the tribesmen, cutting them to ribbons.

We cannot stall and rest, however. We must go on. For God and Country! Deus lo vult! Joined now by the Prince and the Knights, we move to the city square, where the noble awaits. Perhaps in some fit of Islamic fervor, or thinking he can overwhelm our position and break for the city gates, the Syrian leaves the square and advances towards us.

He is slow to start, but surprises us with a charge within critical distance. I see my brethren rise through the air, impaled upon Damascus steel, but the impetus of the charge also forces my spear into man and horse, through layers of barding and armor. The lord of the city rides himself onto Captain Streicher’s spear, his horse collapsing beneath him, and receives a Bavarian mace to his cranium for such hubris.

With their lord dead and his guard shattered, we march to the city square to find Prince Alphonse has already arrived. Not only does our lord await us, but so does a great plunder of gold and wine he has procured from the keep, a reward for our work. Truly, he is a kinder lord than those we know in the peninsula.

I end this letter now, on the note of success. I shall write you again, when time allows, and tell you of my new home in Alep, should we deign to stay here. Say hello to Lucco for me – little brother must have grown so much since last we spoke.

Lorenzo Giordano

Aleppo belongs to the Kingdom of Jerusalem. The Kingdom is also at war with the Ayyubid Dynasty of Egypt, hostile to the Turks, and all allies are a long, over-seas journey away.

Such is the year 1223.

Last edited by Viva Espana!; March 19, 2011 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltacus View Post
    Looks promising. I have one suggestion too; as your AAR grows, add a note of the most recent update in the title to make it easy to see when new episodes have appeared.
    I'm sorry... But I'm not sure how -to- add a note to the title! Lol. But here's a new update!

It's my first -real- update, so tell me if it's too long, too short. What you liked, what you didn't.

Great first "real" chapter. Good idea about detailing the battles, a letter is much more realistic than a priest who is at the battlefield

Artifex

Default Re: [SS 6.4 AAR] The Account of Outremer (Update #2 March 19)

I like the pictures related to each section of text. It wouldn't be bad if the text was a little longer but it isn't necessary either. What I mean is, you have room to write more between each picture without making it "heavy reading", should you need it.

Keep posting battles like that, very easy to follow.

I'm sorry... But I'm not sure how -to- add a note to the title! Lol. But here's a new update!
    I see you found out how to do it
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Great start, I'll be following this.

Indefinitely Banned

nice pictures, mate
    btw where is that painting from?

Leaf-Fan-Forever's Avatar Miles

Nice start, I love Crusader stories.

The Account 1224 Anno Domini

January 12th

I wait out the winter in Antioch. I dare not travel through the cold and the hostile territory surrounding newly captured Alep. Gaston, ever phlegmatic and direct, assures me we could pass through Syria with little incident. I, in turn, informed him that I was not a highly trained mercenary who spent the better part of his life in the back-streets of Marseilles.

Lord de Bourqc has proven a most gracious host, and the people of the city adore him. With the title of Lord High Chancellor he has brought law and order to the wary streets of this ancient metropolis of Alexander. Like me, he is not a military man, and this administrative role suits him. The taxes he has extracted from the region’s trade may be what are saving the Kingdom of Jerusalem from bankruptcy (and funding Prince Alphonse’s foolhardy gambles in Syria).

Furthermore, his Lordship taken to calling himself the Prince of Antioch, the title of Bohemond, the Normon of Taranto. Raymond Roupen, one of The Norman’s descendents, had occupied the seat before passing in the struggle to unite the Crusader States in 1219. It makes sense, as de Bourqc is the only nobleman of any value north of Tripoli, now that Prince Alphonse has marched into Ayyubid territory. In the south, Acre is a bulwark against the Muslim, the southernmost Crusader fortress. Daily King Jean must stare down the Ayyubids, whom are shocked, dismayed, and angered by the betrayal of their truce.

Correspondence with His Majesty has informed me that his son’s reckless actions have wounded and confused him. As such, Badouin of Lorraine, the Lord High Marshal, has taken up command of Acre. In addition, a Spanish nobleman from the border of Navvare, calling himself Carlos de Comminges, has arrived with a contingent of Catalan Crusaders. Young Charles still possesses more fuzz than beard, but he is eager and intelligent, and will be useful in the coming months.

I have told de Bourqc that I shall make for Alep soon enough. When the weather is amiable, of course. I wish to know what caused Alphonse to march off as he did. Perhaps it is the brashness of youth or something darker.

March 14th

Alphonse has evaded me once again. I left as soon as possible, though Gaston argues otherwise. Still, I arrived at Alep too late to find Alphonse before he left for another marching season. The garrison is all but emptied, its Templar soldiery marching with Alphonse to the south, deeper into the lands of Saladin. I confess I sympathize with the Muslim conqueror of Jerusalem. I too would have fought any number of Christians to be rid of these damnable, Syrian plains.

Gaston has offered to take me south, after Alphonse, and possibly catch him before he reaches his target (which the sinking feeling in my stomach tells me is Damascus). The military presence around the city is strong and experienced, and I fear for the young crusader. However, defeat may teach him some humility and caution

Alep is already in the process of being rebuilt. Alphonse breached the curtain wall in order to gain access to the keep, but the militia he has left are over-seeing the reconstruction of the wall… using the brick and mortar of the toppled mosque. Will these men never learn that smothering a faith does not a conversion make?

June 2nd

While I have not been able to contact the Prince, Gaston managed to get me in touch with one of his captains, returning to Alep for supplies and recruits. It appears Alphonse has found victory over the Syrians yet again at Damascus. I spoke with the Templar that Gaston ‘procured’ for me, and I record his story here. He is one of the famed balestrieri genovesi

Battle of the Syrian Plain

vs.

From the Interview of Marcello Titarelli

I came to the Holy Land with The Lionheart on commission from the Balistai Corporation. The coin is what brought me East, but it is my new-found purpose that has kept me here. Following our tenuous victory at Jaffa over the accursed Saladin, The Lionheart negotiated the surrender of the Third Crusade and returned to England. I remained. I had found a calling greater than what was offered back home, in Genoa.

I am now a Templar. The tabard is little different from the hauberk of my city, but the purpose with which it is invested is Faith rather than Greed. I have pledged my allegiance to the Kingdom of Jerusalem and used my considerable experience to slay Ishmaelites in God’s name (though the coin and the plunder don’t hurt either).

I marched with Prince Alphonse both to Aleppo and took part in the siege, but my true goal has always been Damasco – too take vengeance on the Syrians that robbed us of success at Jerusalem. The garrison of the city met us near Homs, so as to forestall us on the plains. Perhaps they felt with superior Arab horsemanship they could overwhelm us. I am glad and unsurprised to say they were mistaken.

T’was left to me to decide where to fight our enemy. Prince Alphonse believes in investing responsibility in his men, and as skirmishes often decide battles, he gave me the responsibility of choosing our position, as captain of his crossbowmen. We took a nearby hill as our base, with our spearmen and men-at-arms positioned down the slope, and my crossbowmen upon the peak. The Prince had also requisitioned two catapults for the siege, as well as a company of mounted squires who rode from the County of Tripoli. The Syrians were assembled on the road from Damascus, below us, the perfect targets. They field Arab archers, Turkish javelineers, and heathen tribesmen, but they are no match for Italian bolts and Christian steel.

Without my pavise I used to feel nude, but I have long grown used to the mobility of relying on simply my crossbow and my own speed. I make the signal to let fly and a dark rain of bolts sails through the air, over the heads of the crusader lines down-hill. The colorfully attired bodies of Syrian tribesmen and desert archers collapse. Our foe is disorganized; unskilled. They fire madly up-hill, fighting wind and slope, and aiming poorly. They hit little. Templar shields rise and catch the flying death. We, however, are Genoese, and come from a long line of familiarity with marksmanship and long-range lethality.

The Muslim skirmishers are soon reduced to so much refuse on the field, corpses stinking in the sun with one or two well-placed bolts within them. The Syrians were stubborn, however, knowing they outnumbered us. Their commander was a sadistic man, for he used his fellow Saracens as a shield of flesh to soak up our attack, waiting for the moment when we ran out of bolts and would be forced to charge his greater force. We had no knights, save the Prince’s Bodyguard, and could not hope to smash them with a decisive cavalry attack.

Luckily, we had a catapult.

Boulders covered in flaming pitch sailed down the hill-side from our left flank, protected from impetuous, Arab cavalry by the company of young Norman and French younger sons. The Syrians held their ground – more fearful of punishment from their false prophet and their Emir in Damasco than violent, fiery death from our artillery.

What happened next was alarming, but most satisfying. I had already used the last of my bolts, and the catapult’s repository of large stones was nearing its end. A clarion horn went up, and the nobles from Tripoli took off down the hill. One unit swooped onto the road, while the other held the attention of the Arab cavalry. The young riders were lesser armed and armored, but made up for such with enthusiasm – riding against their more experienced foe with zeal, spears stabbing over-hand and short swords stabbing wildly.

Unfortunately, enthusiasm alone does not carry the day, and we could not risk marching against the far greater numbers below us to support them. Such concerns were foreign to our lord, and with a great cry of ‘Deus lo vult’ in the lingua franca used in the Holy Land, there was a surge of white and gold to our left. Prince Alphonse, his bodyguard, and standard bearer were charging to relieve the beleaguered Tripolitans. With a great clash, the Arabs broke, just as the Saracen infantry was turning to support them.

Our riders flitted away from their spears, and so began a deadly dance of charge and retreat. The Tripolitans would keep the attention of whichever Saracen unit was unfortunate enough to be on their right flank, at which point the Prince’s bodyguard, despite its small size, would hammer the rear of the infantry, scattering them like a rock thrown into water. Eventually, the Syrian captain took notice of his disappearing flank.

Arab Cavalry rushed forward with a vengeance, cutting down Tripolitan cavalry, caught unawares. The Prince was not one to allow such, and at great risk to his own life, for his guards were a small force, he rushed to their aid, dodging infantry, spearmen, and swarming Saracens. From our position on the hill it was unclear what went on in the melee, after that, but with the fall of more white-clothed bodies, it was clear help was needed.

We charged down the hill, crossbowmen, spearmen, men-at-arms and all! As we did, the banner of Damascus wavered and fell, their leader felled by our superior riders. It was then that the Syrians turned to see the great block of red and white advancing upon them, and began to break. Some remained stubborn, or perhaps uninformed, and fell to our blades, but most scattered to the four winds and were ridden down by the vengeful riders of Tripoli before they could escape.

It was a heroic victory, worthy only of men of great virtue and valor; men like Prince Alphonse.

Marcello proceeded to tell me that most of the prisoners captured were released by the Prince. Whether this was a sign of hubris or tactical acumen I cannot say without asking the man himself. However, it appears they fled to Damascus, where upon they told the Emir of the clemency shown, and the kindness the had experienced at hands of the Prince.

Upon Alphonse’s arrival at the city, the gates were thrown open in surrender. As could have been expected, the City of Saladin was sacked: a fitting punishment for its role in the Third Crusade. Damascus and Aleppo, had been added to the Kingdom of Jerusalem in two years, and the Emirate of Syria was annihilated.

Last edited by Viva Espana!; March 28, 2011 at 03:35 PM.

Default Re: [SS 6.4 AAR] The Account of Outremer (Update #3 March 22)

I've noticed something. Why are there no more seasons? It appears there's only one turn per year, which will lead to.. immortal generals.

Default Re: [SS 6.4 AAR] The Account of Outremer (Update #3 March 22)

I am very much liking your style of writing! You have a very promising start here, one I look forward to keeping up with!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast