Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (UPDATED 08/05/2021)

Knonfoda's Avatar I came, I read, I wrote

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (UPDATED 24/6/12)

Indeed, an excellent update from the sands of Numidia. Pray tell, did you ever get the 1.1 patch working?

I did. Worked a treat. Thanks for the suggestion.
    'The Last Pagan Emperor'- An Invasio Barbarorum Somnium Apostatae Juliani AAR
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

'Immortal Persia' A Civilization III AAR

Prepare to imbibe the medicine of rebuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian Australis View Post
    I did. Worked a treat. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Good, for a moment there I thought you might have to play with weird traits and stuff!

Chapter XL

Evening had descended fast in these northern expanses where the Rhenus separated the Roman world from the barbarian world. It was more a psychological barrier than a physical one, for the so called barbarian could penetrate at will and cause mayhem. It was extremely cold as well. Even with the benefit of a roaring fireplace, a enormous beast of a man was clad in much fur garments, his head bound in a thick woollen cap. Beside him, draped over a chair was his body armour and his helmet sat on the table. He sat perfectly still and silent, whilst others around him murmured to themselves. This man occasionally stole glances at others and then gazed a long while at a man to his left who did not realise the man's attention fell on him. He held a wooden cup in his hand and idly tapped the table as he simply waited .

His wait ended when three men were admitted into his company. They removed their coats and moved towards the large man seated prominently at the round table. They bowed in deference. 'Well, what have you seen?' asked the man without anyway of greetings. 'Not a lot my lord. It appears the Romans have taken much men north across the river. Only the garrisons of Augusta Treverorum remain. It would take them a few days to turn back around from where they are'

'Which is?' he asked

'Frisia my lord, just as you had expected. Valentinianus and Tiberius are both there' replied the middle man.

The man leaned back in his chair and rubbed his chin. 'Just as I expected' he repeated.

He regarded everyone before him before standing up. He towered above those present, a giant among dwarves, whose physical presence cowered men into submission. His fighting skills were renowned among the unified Franks. 'The time is now men. We strike hard and fast whilst the cats are away playing. Speed in our movements is of the essence. If we capture Augusta Treverorum then we have at our grasp a ready supply of recruits. Their armouries become ours and we can fit our men with the finest weaponry. We shall not bow before Rome as servile curs anymore. Let them taste our steel!' he slammed down the table with his mighty fist. He received shouts of agreement from most of the men around him.

However one man was shocked at what he heard. He rose up angrily. 'This is folly! You'd foolishly trample on the very treaty you had signed with the Romans, to soothe your wounded pride!” Agandastrius's eyes flashed with hostility. He loathed Childeric, the Salian noble tried to thwart him at every turn. “Damn the treaty to the underworld, damn the Romans and damn you Childeric. I will not have Francia kneel before Rome any more. This is our chance to break the shackles and forge our nation again. Yet you wish to oppose it, to the surprise of no one!' the King spat.

'How exactly do you propose to bring the Romans to heel! ? We have scarcely any men as it is...the rest are watching the Burgundians!' Childeric railed.

'Bah...we don't need many men, there are enough as it is. Their defences are protected by their weak and pathetic border troops...even their legions are comprised of auxillia troops' countered Agandastrius. 'They will fall in front of true warriors, battle hardened veterans!'

'You fool. You'll condemn us all to death!'

Agandastrius quickly grabbed at his sword and pointed it in the direction of Childeric. 'I've always wondered about you...you allow your palms to be greased with Roman coin don't you? You try and build your wealth with Roman help, to expand your power and influence...so you can buy loyalty of men' Agadanstrius moved slowly around the table. The others present sat perfectly still. Only Childeric had the courage to stand before the King and the decisions he made. 'Then you'll seek to replace me when the time is right...a Roman backed King, to be their puppet!'

Childeric watched the blade like a hawk, having stood bolt upright at the sudden challenge, hand clasping the hilt of his sword, ready to defend himself. He could scarcely believe the invective levelled against him. The King of the Franks had fallen off the precipice of mental stability. 'Don't be a fool! Never mind the Saxons or the Romans tearing us apart, you'll quite easily do it yourself with your crazed ideas!'

'Get out before I run you through!' The King bellowed. Childeric slowly backed away from, the table, hand still gripping his sword. A wall mounted brazier cast an unearthly glow, the face of Childeric taking on a demonic twist. 'You will regret this, make no mistake!' he hissed. 'I care little of what you think. Begone!' The King spat. Still watching the room and Agandastrius' sword, Childeric slipped from the room and made a hasty getaway. Agandastrius cast a glance at the scouts who had stood off to the side during the hostilities. 'Follow him' ordered the King. 'See what he plans to do. If he tries to go to the Romans, kill him' He then looked back at the rest of the council who had sat perfectly still whilst the King threatened and ranted, unsure of what to do. 'Now, for the rest of you statues, is there any objection to our course of action?' The King stabbed his sword into the table to emphasis what would happen if anyone else dared to. Their silence told him all that he wanted. 'Very good, enough of this nonsense. Assemble the men. We go to war!'
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Ganbarenippon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (UPDATED 28/6/12)

The road to ruin...I wonder what we will see Childeric do?

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

To waaaaaaaaaaaar!

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Childeric is a lucky man! A good update, ramping up the tension nicely, but maybe they should listen to Childeric, even if they take the city, can they keep it.
    Last edited by Ybbon; June 28, 2012 at 11:56 AM.

The fools know not what they do, for surely they will perish under the might and heel of Rome!

I crave an update, and screenies, and blood and gore that only you can deliver, Justinian Australis! Please, have mercy, and let fortune smile upon us all!

Blood and gore you say? Well, if you just sit tight for a bit, I should have an update tomorrow to satiate your lusts and yearnings and cravings and inner most desires......
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Great!

Ok, so its not so bloody and gory but someone does die! Make that a few!

Its been getting tough writing an update these days. Damn you real life!

Chapter XLI

Any other day and Julianus would have found it to be utterly pleasant. The sun shone regally, the air was mild and relaxing and the waters that lapped the shelled beaches that shimmered in the sun would have been cool to wade in but not prohibitively . The Emperor watched the knee high grass sway ever so lightly. Then he cast his ever attentive gaze back to in front of him. The long desired task of confronting Constantius had arrived and his opposite, ever defiant, stood arrayed before him with his motley collection of warriors prepared to sacrifice them along with himself. Constantius had with him loyal men, Memmius Orfitis who was Constantius' appointed Praefectus of Rome, a brilliant mind if there ever was who ran rings around even the best in terms of management of the Eternal City. Flavius Theodosius came across as a shaggy and unkempt fellow but beneath that lax exterior was a skilled and capable Comes Domesticorum Pedites who was the Eastern contemporary of Corialanus Phocas. Finally there was Aelianus Cassianum, the Comes of the Thracian military forces and the Vicarius. As a patricius, he had been a pre-eminent man in Constantinople and his wealth, aside from that of the Emperor, was unmatched. Neither of these men could be swayed by promises of gold, land and titles. Julianus did not bother to sooth them with fine words. He knew that they would die to the last man with the man they believed as the rightful Emperor of Rome.

Julianus knew that the battle itself would be swift. Constantius had aquired as much men as he could in this region, unable to spare the heavier troops of the east and thus found himself lining up with cohorts of the Virgiles Urbani. These men weren't entirely inexperienced but faced against the Imperial forces, would crumble quickly. There were also greatly depleted detachments of the Illyrian numeri, numerous slingers and small numbers of the Limitanei and a half strength cohort of the household Imperial guard. He had even managed to round up some artillery, a crew of ballistas but in terms of heavy infantry muscle, he was sadly lacking. The real fight would come from the bodyguards and the commanders themselves. Constantius was now out of options, having been persued across the narrow straights to the uninhabited southern half of this island which seemed madness to the Emperor, unless Constantius had somehow managed to alert his navy to attempt a relief. That would have been possible, as Julianus' own fleet was small and probably would not have been able to thwart such an operation

The order had gone out; all other men were to perish in battle, but Constantius was to be brought to Julianus alive and unharmed. He thought there was nothing to be gained in his death and did not want to be stained with the hands of vengeance. He hoped against hope that he could do so. Initially, the enemy sent forward a detachment of slingers, with Julianus responding by sending forth his manuballistari. They kept coming so the sagitarri would ordered to let loose. The pathetically armoured slingers were cut down without mercy, unable to fire their own deadly projectiles. Constantius reacted and begun reorganising his lines, as he personally moved to the front. Julianus decided to hold back.

Constantius ordered forth more slingers, who marched past Constantius under a hail of fire from Julianus own archers. He did not flinch as numerous arrows sizzled past him and somehow no-one in his bodyguard received any hits. His slingers were much less fortunate. They managed to fire off their own volleys and kill several of the sagitarri. Even the death of a few of his loyal and battle hardened men filled Julianus' heart with sorrow, even more so when they fought against fellow Romans. Quickly the deceased were taken behind the main lines.

Julianus held back, preferring to wear down the enemy with a constant stream of missile fire. The domesticorum pedites surged forward to drive off the missile fire but upon withdrawing, the palace guard turned about and exposed themselves to the renewed assault of missiles. It was a long and deadly retreat for the soldiers, whittled down to almost nothing as they returned empty handed and decimated from their futile assault. The Emperor decided enough was enough, there had been enough caution and manoeuvring about the place. The archers had emptied their supplies of arrows, as had the mounted archers. The missile troops were sent to the rear and as commands rang about the field, the heavy infantry moved forth in unison.

Carefully disciplined and perfectly professional, it was an imposing, if not terrifying sight to see the full array of Imperial military might move forward into position. When in position, though in range of the missiles from Constantius's auxillia cavalry, the orders were given to unleash all their javelins. In spite of their lowly status as soldiers, the virgiles urbani admirably held their ground. There were no thoughts of flight; there was nowhere to go except into the afterlife. Either die attempting to swim away or perish at the hands of the enemy soldiers. Valour in death was their preferred option. Constantius could be seen, defiant as ever, in the middle portion of his army.

Calmly Julianus begun sending forth his cohorts, splitting them into threes, with the Invicti luiani flanking the enemy whilst the bulk of the Jovii and Herculii took the center. Julianus reiterated his demands as battle was enjoined. 'Constantius is to be taken alive at all costs! Do not fail me men!' Julianus watched eargely, though with a mounting sense of aprehension. He knew that it was likely that Constantius would perish in the battle; soldiers overcome with the passion of the engagement would unlikely differentiate between the common soldier and the man of higher rank. He was simply another enemy to kill.

Julianus engaged himself in driving off the cavalry of Constantius, as well as personally killing Memius Orfitis with a well timed stroke of his sword across his abdomen. It was such a shame killing brilliant men. Slowly the auxillia broke and were pursued down to the waters where they drowned in panic. More of the Stablesiani were destroyed; with Aelianus and Theodosius fighting tooth and nail but perishing. Julianus had lost sight of the battle momentarily as he came back from a small grove of trees down by the shore. Men of both sides ran about in chaos; it was clear that the battle had swung firmly towards Julianus and the enemy were broken. His first thoughts were for Constantius. He spurred his guard onwards, observing the disentegrating mass of soldiers. Some attempted to slip away but were killed. Those who did ran blindly to the sea, disposing of their weapons and armour and tried swimming away to only God knows where. They quickly drowned.

'Where is he?' demanded Julianus as he got down from his horse. The embers of the battle still burned but each capture of a fleeing soldier and his death slowly extinguished it. There were bodies of men and horses everywhere, in varying stages of life. Avidius saw the Emperor and hastened to him, 'Dominus! We have him...he is mortally wounded though' Julianus stood over the carnage, full of anguish and came upon the broken Constantinus. Blood seeped from his mouth, his eyes were appeared distance and his hand clutched a bloody, ragged chest wound.

He knelt down beside him. A tear or two could be seen on Julianus. Despite the sufferings of his family at the hands of this man, he still had compassion for his plight. 'You fool' he said softly. '
    'All I ever wanted to reach an accommodation, not this pointless slaughter of Romans' Constantius suffered a coughing fit, the bubbling blood on his lips giving him a rather fiendish appearance. Yet in his final moments all malice had slipped away, as did his life. 'You are worthy to hold the office of Emperor' Constantius said in between short rapsing breaths. 'Rule the world wisely cousin...it stands before you' He grimaced as the chest wound brought him deep pain and he wimpered ever slightly. 'You shall receive proper honours' Julianus said. Constantius feebly grabbed at Julianus' arm. 'Tell Helena that I love her and I am sorry for this'

Constantius lingered on for another hour in pain, with Julianus' physicians doing the best they could to make him comfortable but he finally died, wretched and bloody, an Emperor deposed by a fellow Roman. Deep within his heart, Julianus knew it could end no other way. The decisive battle, though one that was not overly bloody and costly, had been fought and now Julianus and his veteran legionaries were faced with eradicating Eastern influence from the rest of Greece. In the coming days and weeks, messengers had been dispatched hastily to Larissa, Athenae and Corinth to seek their surrender and to recognise Julianus as sole Emperor yet in bouts of extreme foolishness they chose to send the messengers away empty handed and carry on in their own capacity. Here he also learned that the African reinforcements that he had requested had gone straight for Corinth and were beseiging the city, something that surprised and angered Julianus at the same time. Yet with the removal of Constantius and the Goths sulking beyond the Danude, Julianus could feel confident of claiming the rest of the Western portion of Roma. However, his mood would change considerably when he heard of what was happening around the Rhenus.
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (UPDATED 8/7/12)

Nice end to Constantius - very poignant I thought. I actually felt sorry for him.

Very good update, very poignant, and nice to see the butchering dog deposed at last! Also, what IS happening beyond the Rhenus? I must know!

I can just say that I am glad that Constantius is now gone and I can close that bit out of the story.......mind you I have to fight the battle again as I saved over that particular save!

Chapter XLII

The afternoon sun cast a long grasping hand across the land, bathing the trees and grass and hills with a gentle warm light. The sun hung low on the horizon, fighting vainly at the clutches of the oncoming darkness that brought with it deep cold. Childeric was momentarily blinded by the sun as he and his companion exited a dense wood along a scarcely visible track that was only known to the Franks, as a means of moving about and evading the Romans in previous times. It was safer though to take this difficult, winding and crowded pathway than to traverse the main route towards the Rhenus. In spite of his difficulties, he pressed onwards, having marched throughout the lands of the luthungi non stop since fleeing Agandestrius. He knew that he would be followed, with orders to have him killed if he tried to cross the river to reach the Romans. Yet he was confident in his knowledge of these lands, seemingly imprinted into his mind from his youngest days and nurtured by his wise father who took his young son deep into the forests to learn how to survive in any conditions whether it was the deepest recesses of the bitter winters or the terrible heat of high summer.

Childeric had quickly left the King's residence that previous tense, heated meeting with the King, slyly observing the two thugs of Agandestrius following at a safe distance though not letting on that he was aware that they tailed him. He knew the two men involved, though not intimately, as men prone to violence on the slightest whim. Yet they were not entirely dull of mind despite their proclivity for rash and unsettling behaviour. Childeric could be reasonably certain they would not do anything stupid. It was wise not to displease Agandestrius if one wanted to live to a relatively old age, something that Childeric doubted he'd get to experience. He had headed straight to his residence and waited for sometime until the dead of night when he slipped out, bypassed one residence in particular to rouse a loyal friend who had been readied for such an occasion and then blended into the inky blackness that surrounded the dimly lit village.

Childeric and Bertgarda throughout the night and into the next day took many differing paths towards their destination guided by Childeric's innate knowledge of his surrounds and the guidance of the shimmering stars above and a new moon that provided better illumination than the lanterns that they carried, except when forced to move through strands of trees that hid the moon from them. Tirelessly they moved, with few possessions on them to enable greater speed, bypassing a foreboding swampland that oozed malevolence, along with the thick scrub that flanked one side and watched over by giant sentinels that were the seemingly ageless birch and fir trees common in the area.

Aside from one brief stop brought about the sudden arrival towards them of a group of travellers that did not look the sort you would introduce to your mother (and Childeric could not be certain that word had spread to others about his flight), they relentlessly marched to the river. Yet with the coming of evening and bones and muscle protesting from the exertion, Childeric made the decision to rest for the night. Then, when fully refreshed, they could waste no time in crossing the Rhenus and alerting the main castellum that stood guardedly before the river upon its elevated position observing those who came and went. Having sought out a situation protected from the north wind that now kicked up dead leaves that carpeted the turf, they sat down in a sort of cavern that appeared to have been scooped out by a giant spoon in a narrow but well defined outcrop of rocks. It was not deep yet sheltered enough. It was far enough off the track they had followed as not be easily seen. Man height shrubs in varying stages of life offered some screening and tall swaying grass made it difficult to move through quickly. Trees had forced their way up through the soil and compost that had long been deposited by time into the cracks and crevices in the rocky outcroppings. The wind blowing through the naked limbs of the birch created a steady whistling song that soothed Childeric and his companion. If not for the fact they were been followed and had a fire burning, it would have been pleasant. Instead they sat by the dim light of their lantern whose flame was vigorously protected from extinguishment at this point.

Childeric and Bertgarda had not spoken much during their travels, concentrating on putting distance between their pursuers. Bertgarda looked about himself, as if his sight could penetrate the gloom beyond their resting place. 'You certainly know how to court danger and drama' he said, looking intently at Childeric who sat there with eyes closed, seemingly asleep but deep in thought. 'One must stand before madness my friend. There must be reason to counter irrationality' he replied thoughtfully. 'He is not a man to trifle with in any case' Bertgarda countered. 'No...I would guess not...from the point of view that he is an extremely volatile man' replied Childeric, as he shifted to maintain comfort and draw deeper into his warm clothing and the woollen blankets around him. 'Yet he is a stupid man...his decisions rarely make sense, like now. Madness' he shook his sadly, 'Therefore I stood to him and railed against his decision' It was indeed true that the noble Childeric was a voice of reason amongst people whose proclivity to rash and unpredictable behaviour brought about dire consequences. His calm and considered words would mostly win the day, unless the blood was well and truly flowing and nothing penetrated the minds of the vengeful and axe bitten.

'His plan to lure the Romans into his plans was clever enough but he was too stupid to think out the consequences of turning on the Romans. True enough he needed the support of the Romans against the Saxons but his greed and irrationality took over. His pride is too great and it blinds him to anything else. It will doom us all' said Childeric

Wouldn't you though rather be free of the shackles of Rome? Free of the burden of so called peace with her, which is little more than slavery?' argued Bertgarda. 'No one can exist with her and not lose their identity. I think it is better to stand and fight than submit and live hollow'

Childeric looked back at his passionate friend with sadness. 'The freedom you'd seek would be illusory...for a time you'd have it in hand and then another snatches it from you. This freedom that Agandestrius...and yourself, seeks, is a hollow one and will only result in extermination for us all. Rome does not forgive nor does she forget. Nothing can be done for our nation if our bodies are strewn across the streets and our homes set aflame and fields sown with salt. What of your' “freedom” then Bertgarda?'

Bertgarda shifted uncomfortably in place. 'You do say sensible things my friend...yet I cannot abide by our servitude...We are a proud people and it stings that another places a yoke around our neck. Do we not deserve to live freely?'

'Yes my friend, freedom is desirous and something we all strive for...but actions that may lead to it must be carefully considered. Francia will be free again...yet not in the way in which Agandestrius seeks to do it. I guess in the disagreement that we are in in the way we obtain it, we must find agreement. I value your friendship Bertgarda' Childeric clasped his friends shoulders 'but I do not wish to cloud it over points of difference. Like I said and firmly believe, Francia will have her freedom'

Bertgarda grabbed at Childeric's hand and smiled weakly. 'Ever since we have known each other, boys pretending to be men, wandering the expanses as if on great adventures like our forefathers, you have always been the one with sense and intelligence, more so than me'

Bertgarda looked at the dimly lit face of Childeric and asked him directly, in a manner only Bertgarda could manage. 'Do you wish to be King?' Childeric looked out beyond the cavern and watched the shimmering stars. He was silent a long while. 'Yes, yes I do...do not mistake my response for arrogance yet there is no other man of standing in Francia that should be at the head of a united people. Agandestrius is a problem but the others would be worse...they are young and easily guided by passion and lust. They are poor qualities for a King'

'You'd need to do a deal with the Romans...they will be riled into terrible anger by Agandesterius' actions' said Bertgarda pointedly. 'To them, a Ripurian is the same as a Salian. It would be a dangerous game you'd play'

''True enough...it of course all depends on who'd exactly I'd be dealing with yet I believe I can sooth them with fine words and make them see that Agandestrius and his corrupt followers are alone solely responsible for this treachery' Childeric stopped suddenly at a suspicious sound and made to investigate when he heard the flapping of feathered wings and the familiar call of an owl. He could sense the bird pass close by. He released his hand from his sword and returned to his thoughts. 'Deep down my friend I believe that Valentinianus will come to a foul end, for he would prove intractable and blinded by his ambition. A man like him will end up double crossed by one of his own and will find himself hopelessly surrounded. If he comes to survive this, when he realises he has been double crossed by Agandestrius his anger will be terrible, his vengeance swift. We can only hope that a man of sense and rationality will be present when the time comes'

'I can only hope your well reasoned thoughts do prove correct' said Bertgarda, 'yet I think the time has come for rest' Childeric nodded in agreement. 'You are right...I will take the first watch, so rest well my friend. At first light we move' The pair settled in to their position as a light mist stole over the landscape and shrouded the moon and cast further darkness on the land.

MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (UPDATED 14/7/12)

Chapter XLII Part II

The mist still shrouded the land at dawn, still and quiet, making it seem earlier than it was. Night passed uneventfully, as Bertgarda, spying the palest of dawn light on the horizon, gently nudged Childeric who managed a deep and fitful sleep in spite of the awkwardness of the stone upon which he slept. 'Awaken my friend' Bertgarda shook Childeric's shoulders, 'We have over slept...this mist has fooled me' Childeric came awake instantly and sat up and looked around, seemingly unaffected at been aroused from deep slumber. Without words he packed what little possessions he had taken, with Bertgarda following suit. 'It should be half a days march, quickly at that, to reach the Rhenus at the point were the castellum faces east. There are observation posts just back from the banks. Hopefully we can gain their attention' said Childeric. 'Hopefully there is the means to get across the river' Bertgarda said. 'There should be, there is a small wooden dock there to ferry supplies across the river. Boats should be available' replied Childeric. Bertgarda hoped that his friend was not basing too much of his plan upon chance.

Carefully surveying their surrounds, the pair crept through the grass which crunched and rustled as they tracked through it before the faint pathway they had travelled on materialised before them. They kept up a steady pace, at times jogging, other times briskly walking. There was not another soul to be seen in these parts, despite their proximity to the river and the fact that there were numerous small villages in the surrounding countryside. The land scarcely changed, large pockets of naked trees fighting their way through the thickly grassed, undulating terrain, interspersed with large weather worn boulders and craggy rocky outcrops. In places the ground dropped away alarmingly but their beaten path skirted the hidden dangers, winding past the drop-offs and darting back through the woods.

The track took a gentle incline and through the deciduous trees, Childeric saw a hopeful sign; rising smoke in the west beyond the river. 'There, the smoke...that is the castellum. We are close!' Childeric said in hushed tones, as if fearful he may be heard but there was nobody for miles...not anyone that he could readily spy in any case. He looked back down the track, seeing nothing but aged trunks, hard packed dirt and scrub. He slapped Bertgarda on his shoulder. 'Let us move quickly' Away they went with haste, unencumbered by heavy packs or weapons down the slope, with the terrain starting to change. The trees petered out, as if retreating from the river, aside from those that flanked its banks, forming a vanguard in places. They now moved through farmland and off to their left they could see a collection of huts huddled together, faint wisps of smoke escaping the chimneys, cows staring lazily in their direction. There was no sign of any of the farmers.

Their destination was in sight; a clearing ahead along the embankment. This section of the Rhenus was not as wide as in other places and the river thankfully was not flowing fully. It would be crossable without been overly tiring. Yet as they passed several huge trees, vaulting over several low stone walls Childeric stopped. 'Damn!' he burst out. He looked up to the sky and cursed. 'I thought you'd said there were boats!' said Bertgarda with alarm as he looked all along the bank and across to the other side. There was no boats to be seen. There was absolutely no telling where they would be and who had them. Unless his assailants had come here first and set the boats adrift...Childeric saw the thought in Bertgarda's eyes. 'If they have then they can't be far off' He clenched his fists angrily. Disappointment began to creep through him. So close! 'We could swim for it...' offered Bertgarda. 'I cannot swim well enough...not enough anyway to get across the river in the current' replied Childeric. 'Let us try and alert the guards...I see two in that tower over there!'

Childeric bit his lip. It was not a wide section of river yet as they came to the dock it would take a man with an incredibly booming voice to be heard at this distance. All they would see would be wild gesticulating and hear indecipherable words. There was no other alternative, they'd have to swim across. 'We must swim...there is no other way. We will not be able to attract their attention properly' said Childeric. As the pair made their way to the waters edge, a voice boomed out from an unseen location. 'Childeric!' The cheftian spun around and his eyes began scouring all around him. His heart sank when he saw a familiar form emerge from the farm houses. He was tall and broad shouldered with long black hair that fell past his shoulders. Dagobert strode confidently in Childeric's direction. 'Going somewhere?' he sneered. 'It's a bit too cold for a swim'

Childeric sighed inwardly. He spotted the crossbow that Dagobert held lazily in his left hand. Dagobert was an expert marks man with the bow. He could scarecly expect to get three feet before been pierced by an arrow. 'You know, I once admired you Childeric' said Dagobert casually. 'A strong man you where, a voice of reason amongst many unruly voices. Now, your just as bad as the Romans...your a sycophant before them' He spat into the dirt of a small plot of tomatoes that had been squashed by the lifeless bodies of the farmer and his farm hands.

'It pains me to know that the likes of you held me in admiration Dagobert' replied Childeric caustically. 'I've known murderers and thieves with more honour than yourself' Childeric looked at Bertgarda and then back towards Dagobert. Dagobert ignored the jibe. 'Agandestrius is willing to forgive you Childeric, if you'd only return and swear an oath to him. He'd allow you to serve by his side in exchange for your fealty and let this unfortunate matter pass beyond everyone’s memory. What say you Childeric...it is a fair offer. Agandestrius forgives you and you yet live' Dagobert had walked closer now that Childeric could see the pale blue eyes of his assailant, utterly unreadable as to his next intentions.

Childeric was highly amused at the offer tabled before him. 'The King must think little of me to lay such an offer before me...the only fool here is the King. I can see right through his hollow proposal. Tell him to take a swim in the river'

Dagobert snarled. 'Take a swim yourself you fool!' In a flash Childeric's back was turned and he made for the river. A quick nod of Dagobert's head and his companion, Fulcoald emerged from the shadows of a large sprawling oak tree. Without wasting time he raised his cross bow and took aim. Time seemed to slow to a crawl as Fulcoald shot the bow. Childeric had just reached the edge of the dock when he jerked backwards and then stumbled, crashing over the edge of the dock into the cold murky water. Fulcoald's aim was true, the arrow head emerging through his chest having pierced his heart. Blood intermingled with the brown of the water to create a foul stain. He died quickly, his limp body drifting with the current, lodging itself into snags along the embankment a few hundred meters down stream.

Dagobert had moved towards Bertgarda who watched with horror the death of Childeric. He turned back to see Dagobert aiming his own cross bow at him and firing. There was no offers, no talk, just an arrow that bit deep into his neck. His jugular vien was severed and blood spouted out the wound as he sank to his knees clasping his neck. Dagobert walked over and kicked him over. He looked across the river and noticed several Roman soldiers observing casually the strange scenes on the other side. Dagobert resisted the temptation to fire at them. The time would come for that. Fulcoald came up next to his companion. His black pitiless eyes stared coldly at the dead form of Bertgarda. Unlike his bigger companion, he was clean shaven and had a thick mane of black hair that was knotted into an elaborate ponytail with the rest having been shaved off to create a truly terrifying visual effect.

'Send word to bring the heriban up...no possesions, just their weapons. We cross at night' said Dagobert. 'Then send word to the King that Childeric is no more and that the war shall begin' Fulcoald smiled hideously through broken and stained teeth and turned away. Dagobert took one more look at the watch tower and the curious Roman soldiers on the other side before walking back to the farm huts as if nothing had happened at all.
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Ganbarenippon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (UPDATED 18/7/12)

Those last two updates were outstanding! I had a sense of foreboding in the first one but didn't want to believe it because I liked the Childeric character. Very well done! + rep

Indeed, I like these sort of updates, the little tales of men and their exploits, although in this case our protagonists failed alas!

I have to say though, I am very much missing the campaign and battle screenshots! Also, tomatoes weren't brought to Europe till the 16th century, being a native South American "fruit"...

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

Enjoying this very much, as the story has developed so has the style of the narrative.

Excellent AAR

Rep+

Quote Originally Posted by Knonfoda View Post
    I have to say though, I am very much missing the campaign and battle screenshots! Also, tomatoes weren't brought to Europe till the 16th century, being a native South American "fruit"...
    Tomatoes....sorry, I meant to say beans...you know, its easy to get the two mixed up given that they are they have the same spelling and look the same, honest mistake!

I think I will go back to adding a screenshot or two...nothing like I was doing before (it gets tedious uploading and sorting pics) but ones that are pivotal to the update and so you can see what's going on in the map. Rejoice!

Glad you liked those two updates, cheers for the feedback guys. I got a burst of inspiration after starting to read LOTR again and have to say they turned out well.
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place