Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (UPDATED 08/05/2021)

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor

*wooooooooooooooooooooooooosh*...that's the sound of yet another udpate

Chapter VII

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

A man scribbled furiously in a dilapidated motel room in a run down quarter of Verona.

'Dominus, the situation in Italy is far more precarious than first thought. Not only has Ravenna fallen, Verona now is aflame with discontent and a rebellious Italian empire is been formed. It is not likely that word has yet reached Constantius, due to the difficulties in the East. This presents a rare opportunity for action. I advise a quick response in the matter. I do not think Constantius will be able to raise enough men to restore order. Rumour abounds that even Africa is awash with strife. I shall further investigate here in Verona and try and come to some conclusions as to the merits of these usurpers, even work it to our advantage.'

Felix

The dreaded invasion of the Berbers eventuated. A colossal army encamped at the walls of Cartenna. Cornelius Marcellinus, now appointed the governor of Mauretania Caesariensis, had no idea as to whether Verenianus had sent reinforcements. The Comes had not been thoughtful enough to reply to his letter. Further west, the limes fort that guarded the way into Russadir was besieged by a general known as Bonildeqart.

Vibius had finally crossed over and landed near Russadir after gathering all the men afforded to him. Convention in not using the auxilia limitaeni troops as front line soldiers instead of garrison troops was ignored for this occasion, with the Hispanian field army remaining behind under Verenianus. Vibius decided on dealing with the Berber general first.

Back on the mainland, the Alamanni had invaded eastwards and crossed over at the upper Danube fordes and beseiged Augusta Vindelicorum yet it was observed that after several weeks, the bulk of the barbarians had simply headed back across the river and left behind a token force. These that were left behind blanched when faced with the sallying Romans and decided to retreat back over the Danuvius.

And then, the guards stationed along Hadrians Wall reported that the Gaels had been sniffing around like curious dogs. In fact, Gaelic agent had been apprehended, tortured for information (a large army awaited just beyond the walls) and then killed for good measure. Tiberius Secundus had assembled a large standing Britian army, to deal with the Saxons. However he had yet to engage...time would surely be short if the Gaels burst across the wall and begun to lay waste to the countryside.

Salutius Secundus and Aurelius Dometianus combined forces to drive what was left of the Alamanni out of Germania Prima. Aurelius would have wished he had stayed back in Argentoratum and not plodded around staining the snow red.

Salutius had the crest, Aurelius came from below, effectively hemming the Alamanni between two forces. Mederichus was not fazed in the slightest. The warlord sent forth his heavy cavalry to destroy Aurelius.

The governor of Argentoratum had a light force suited for garrison duties. He had not expected to be involved in battle so early, his presence was to merely provide backup if needed and kill any routers. Instead, rather cleverly Mederichus, did exactly the opposite of what the Romans thought would be the right course; deal with the biggest threat first.

His numeri and auxilia limitaeni infantry were crushed under hoof of the cnihte.

On the hill, Salutius was having a rather tough time and found himself suffering casualties. This time, the entirety of the Flavia Vitrix Constantina fought bravely, the humiliation of the 2nd cohort fresh in their collective memories.

Even when surrounded and separated from his main forces, Mederichus and his beastly warriors enacted a terrible toll upon the Gallica Honoriani

The Alamanni proved particularly tough to break. Salutius was forced to use his reserve of limitaeni as missile troops. Eventually, Merederichus saw futility in continuing the battle and he sounded the retreat. It was every man for himself. Aurelianus had since fled back to Argentoratum to try and minimise his high casualties. The Alamanne warrior himself made it back over the river and took refuge in Chnodomar.

It was just absolutely ghastly. The esteemed Senator was on his bloodied knees, his garments torn, dirty and stained with blood. His eyes pleaded for mercy but he saw none in the two men before him, flanked either side by the Domestici of the city. 'Please! Please! I can give you what you need...just spare me!' he pleaded in wretched sobs. One man simply laughed. The other smiled a thin smile without humour.

'We already have all that is yours...those estates will be handy feeding the people...your wife, though rather recalcitrant, was just delightful. Your children fetched a tidy sum with slave traders. So no, you can't give me all that you have...it's all gone'
    The pair laughed like hyenas. One nodded at a trooper next to him. The hulking Germani stood forward and simply ran through the senator with his sword, through his heart and out the back, drawing him close to his face as he died.

The body just crumpled to the pavement. Men cheered with delight. There were shocked wails of terror amongst others; they were other Senators earmarked for proscription, bound, beaten and dead men walking. The supporters of Constantius and also the rich were in the murderous sights of these two men. They were enacting a process that had been abhorrent to Romans for centuries. It had been forbidden. It had cost dictators and other men with power their life.

Before the frightened rabble, stood a King, a self style King at that. Ammianus Pescennius revived the ancient Kingship, all the way back to Tarquinus the Proud. He paraded like a glorious peacock, a handsome 40 year old, with dark hair but unsettling ice blue eyes. When he looked at you, it was if he was staring deep into your soul, prizing out inner secrets.
    'Behold fellow Romans! The glorious Kingdom of Italy!' There were cheers from his men, half hearted cheers from citizens who could scarcely fathom the chaos that played out before them and just shocked looks of dismay on the aristocrats.

'We can no longer rely on the bloated, decaying mess that is the Imperial bureaucracy to ensure our safety and to feed and protect the citizens. It's long since past the time to act. Be aware that he who stands against me, is my enemy! Join me and prosper...reject me and die' He left his words to hang in the air. He then gestured to the Domestici to kill the rest of the Senators and then rode back to palace.

'Dirty bastards' Chnodomarius suspected treachery had been afoot, that the Romans had influenced his men to act against his wishes. That impertinent little rat, Magnus Drusus was probably behind it. The King found himself alone, save for his Suebiske Adalinge, out in the open with no defences whatsoever. Defying fatigue and the great distances, he set out to find exactly where his army had gone. As they crested yet another hilly range, he saw a sight that made him sick with despair and anger. His men were fleeing like frightened goats, trailed by a considerable Roman force. They were in great disorder but it appeared that the Romans had not yet engaged his men.

Without their famous King, they had no thought but for the comforts of home back beyond the river. That is exactly where they headed. He could see the river that divided the Roman world with that of his people. The Romans appeared not to follow up the Alamanni. They could have simply attacked as they madly scrambled across the river yet they hung back, satisfied that they'd be stuck across the river. There Julius Athanaes could deal with them.

As he turned back to confront his men, he saw something he had totally missed earlier. Another Roman force marched towards him. 'They do not fight fair' he spat. He then organized his men on a higher position and simply waited. 'We will see our kinsmen and families again, in the after life yet before we depart, lets give these dogs a thing or two to think about...Die well my brothers' He then said no more, as he watched the Roman archers ascend to the left of him. The scutarii trotted to his right and he watched the infantry arrayed before him.

He noted they were not the comitatensis, instead the border troops, which Chnodomarius found strange. Perhaps it was some impertinent garrison commander seeking fame and glory. There shall be a few more Romans joining us in the afterworld he mused, neither sad at the prospect of death nor happy that he'd be joining illustrious ancestors in the great halls beyond this world.

'Let us get this over with then eh?' he shouted to his men. They roared their approval and at once, under missile fire, raced down the slope and smashed into the disconcerted line of infantry. Men with golden masks, huge swords and the finest armour, they were a sight to behold for regular garrison troops.

The Alamanni begun punching a hole in their line, as the rest of the Romans stood and watched. Another line of infantry assembled on the slope, this time behind Chnodomarius. They hurled their javelins, disregarding their comrades in front. The Alamanni were cut down like wheat until just a few were left.

It was soon over the great King, who after having his arm hacked off, and then run through the stomach, had a moment of despair when he realised that Hortar, a 20 year old reprobate, would become King of the Alamanni. That was the last thing he thought when he hit the turf dead.

'The Last Pagan Emperor'- An Invasio Barbarorum Somnium Apostatae Juliani AAR
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

'Immortal Persia' A Civilization III AAR

Prepare to imbibe the medicine of rebuke!

Ganbarenippon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I love this! You've started out at a quite incredible rate for updates, and the quality hasn't suffered at all. Fantastic job.

niceys! The updates don't feel rushed and are really detailed, well done!

Knonfoda's Avatar I came, I read, I wrote

Delightful, just delightful.

Those bloody chameleons ey? Armenians for you haha.. loved that bit. Nice to see the frontiers being restored. Having said that, you seem to have a very big problem with debt. Isn't there a cut off point that if you exceed it you lose the game? And we shall see the mettle of this cruel new 'king' whence he faces the forces of the righteous Julian!

My only little gripe was the beginning of the last chapter, a dilapidated 'motel' room'. It just conjured images of those run down motels by the side of American highways, which took me out of the historical mindset for a moment. Perhaps something like Inn, tabernae, mansio would be more suited?

But that is a minimal complaint and just me nagging. I can't wait for the next few updates, keep it up!

This is a great read! Any chance you can post a picture of the map without the fog of war so we can see what's going on?

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

I second that motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganbarenippon View Post
    I love this! You've started out at a quite incredible rate for updates, and the quality hasn't suffered at all. Fantastic job.
    Cheers, I had quite a bit of spare time over the weekend and have taken advantage of any opportunity that arises,whilst trying to avoid the evil eye from the She Who Must be Obeyed At Every Command She Utters (it helped when she was working too!)

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Gandalf View Post
    niceys! The updates don't feel rushed and are really detailed, well done!
    Glad you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Knonfoda View Post
    Delightful, just delightful.

Those bloody chameleons ey? Armenians for you haha.. loved that bit. Nice to see the frontiers being restored. Having said that, you seem to have a very big problem with debt. Isn't there a cut off point that if you exceed it you lose the game? And we shall see the mettle of this cruel new 'king' whence he faces the forces of the righteous Julian!

My only little gripe was the beginning of the last chapter, a dilapidated 'motel' room'. It just conjured images of those run down motels by the side of American highways, which took me out of the historical mindset for a moment. Perhaps something like Inn, tabernae, mansio would be more suited?

But that is a minimal complaint and just me nagging. I can't wait for the next few updates, keep it up!
    No, no your right...that part doesn't sound consistent with the character of times. I've since changed it. Cheers. Financially, I've gotten in worse doo doo than this and also made a turn around but it is in the back of my mind that it doesn't get any higher. I don't know what I'd do if it got worse but actually the losses so far I suffered each turn haven't been as bad as I thought. Things though are about to (and have happened) happen that will see finances improve a bit (hopefully)

I thought that the King chapter sounded a little silly at first but I think it may work nicely into the story and Felix the assassin will hopefully play a part here to reflect his recently changed traits.

Also Ferdidad and ImperatorCaesar, consider the map done at the next update.

Next few chapters may take a while but I am sure you'll be pleased....without giving too much away, Julianus is faced with an unsettling situation which forces his hand, a prefect arranges for skull duggery beyond the Rhenus and a junior general's massive battle with the Alamanni has unintended consequences which change the face of the frontiers.
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Finally!

Chapter VIII: Decisions

It was one of those eerily quite days that suggested something was stirring beyond sight. Even the camp of Julianus was quiet. Men seemed subdued, the usual raucous banter between soldiers strangely absent. There were the sounds of the smithy hammering steel on his anvil, snorting horses and scratching of hooves but that was about all. The soldiers, though continuing to go about their duties, murmured to themselves as if afraid that someone would hear their words.

Julianus stood before his desk, rolling up a scroll, when Maximianus entered his office. He looked up immediately. 'Is there something wrong Maximianus?' he asked quickly. The soldier, now promoted to Tribunis Comites, cocked his head. 'No dominus, not that I am aware of' he said guardedly. 'Why do you ask?'

'The men appear unusually subdued Maximianus and such a thing is disturbing to a man who needs the power of the army behind him'. Maximianus stood there awkwardly for a few moments appraising the Caesar. 'They do not appear any different today than they did yesterday or the day before my Caesar' Julianus looked briefly at the Tribune and nodded. 'Mmmm' He then let it drop. He shuffled some papers on his desk and picked up a diploma. 'You have heard about the Alamanni, Maximianus?'

'Yes my Caesar, Chnodomarius was slain just outside of Argentoratum'

'Indeed...good news at that as well. He was a fierce man, a worthy opponent in war. I regret that I never got to face him in battle however we must take such events with both hands. A golden opportunity, as they say.' Maximianus agreed. 'Their new King will be far weaker and in a unstable situation. It could be the turning point in our struggles to re-establish the limes'

'A rather crafty manoeuvre by Valentinianus too' continued the Tribune. 'A bribe here, a feint from Salutius and an attack from Valentinianus and his reign is over' Julianus moved towards a staff officer who stood at the ready by a large shelf full of documents, the battle reports and troop numbers and logistics that Julianus poured over with other officers when he could. 'I have decided to reward Valentinianus for his bravery and foresight. I do not trust Arintheus, there is something detestable about that man. So I am stripping him off his title and transferring the Magister Equitum et Pedites Galliam title to Valentinianus'.

'He is a fine young man...incredibly vigorous and is schooled in the fine arts of war. I feel he shall become incredibly useful in the coming years' said the Caesar. Maximianus simply agreed with Julianus. He had heard little of this Flavius Valentinianus and now he was been entrusted with a senior position within the military. 'As you wish' he said.Julianus handed the scroll to the staff officer and ordered him to take it to new Magister. As well as it bestowing the title upon Valentinianus, it also granted him title as Comes of the planned new province in old Alamanni lands. Guards were also to seize Arintheus and have him present for reassignment. Somewhere well away where he could not cause trouble.

Julianus then sat down in his chair. He looked at his Tribune Comites with an even gaze. Maximianus himself had been glancing through some documents when he noticed Julianus looking at him. 'Maximianus, though I have had your acquaintance for a short while, I can see when your hiding something from me. Best you speak freely to me...or do you not trust my confidence?'

Maximianus looked surprise. 'But of course my lord...I would never suggest otherwise...' Julianus interrupted. 'Then tell me what you know. Why is the mood so sombre amongst the troops?' Maximianus shifted uncomfortably in his place. 'It is just the usual soldierly fears my Lord, it is nothing you should be worried about'

'Dammit Maximianus!' thundered Julianus, with a sudden outburst of never before seen anger. 'Cease playing me as the fool...what exactly is going on?' Maximianus bowed his head. 'Very well my lord. The men are increasingly worried about the financial situation. They fear they will not be paid what they deserve and an unpaid soldier is an unhappy one.'

Julianus softened somewhat. 'It is true Maximianus. These are perilous times. The Empire is not as rich as it has been. Little do they know but the troop numbers and their incessant demands in the past have put such a crushing burden on the Empire. Emperors promising the soldiers the world and then stripping wealth from those that can least bear the burden so that they can have their coins. Of course, an Emperor must keep the troops happy...however it is terribly unsustainable. I doubt very little can be gained for them by conquering the Franks and the Alamanni'

'That there lies the crux of the problem' stated Maximianus matter-of-factly. 'Beyond the Rhenus are lands that are not conducive to prosperity and there would be little for the soldiers to invest in other than some fancy helmets, swords, shields and other objects. The thought of fighting to conquer those lands does not sit well with them'

Julianus sat quietly, absorbing what Maximianus said. The Tribune continued. 'Caesar, the men are loyal to you and would follow you across the River Styx...I think you so far have endeared them to yourself with your generosity and unstinting faith in their abilities. However....'

'However...' echoed Julianus....'there is always a catch'

'They worry that Constantius will seek to undermine you. Such is their love for you, they fear what he may do if you are even more successful than you have been in restoring Gallia to peace. I would not be surprised if Constantius had already issued orders or something to counter your growing influence'

'You paint a rather grim picture Tribune...' Julianus was about to reply further when in strode a behemoth of a man, who looked awkward in his position as commander of the Invincible Julians, the elite spearmen of Julianus' army. He was the epitome of physical perfection and handsome as well, as handsome as a lifelong soldier could be after many cuts, abrasions and the like. He had distinguished himself as a centurion and as a result found rapid promotion. Lately Julianus had found himself having to restrain his new officer from barging into the thick of the fight, such was his love of combat. He saluted smartly.

'Yes Avidius?'

'My Caesar, our observers report that the Franks are currently attempting to open the gates and sally forth'

Julianus betrayed no emotion. Maximianus spoked first. 'Sheer suicide! Their numbers are less than half of ours. They will be slaughtered quickly' Julianus then spoke.'Unless...they are planning a feint of sorts'

'Highly possible my Caesar. It could be to draw our attention away from other threats' noted Avidius. Maximianus stood up. 'I'd strongly suggest that we ready the men now...this situation is very suspicious. If we are not careful, we could find ourselves surrounded' Avidius echoed Maximianus' sentiments.

'I agree...if we can rouse them from their sombre mood...very well. Have everyone at the ready. Send scouts to the west of here and scour the lands for any signs of enemy reinforcements. Have them report to me immediately on finding anything' Then the men left the tent immediately, save for Julianus.

Having remained quiet the whole time, Oribasius finally spoke. 'I fear that this shall be the tipping point for your men...and yourself Julianus. The time will come when you will need to make the hard decisions of a man in your position'

Julianus gathered up his equipment quickly. 'Then so be it my friend. Let us deal with one problem at a time' He hurried from the tent leaving Oribasius to his own designs...and thoughts of Julianus' future.

MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (Updated 8/2/12

I like the intrigue which is brewing here - and finding Oribasius in a Julian AAR is always a treat too!

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (Updated 8/2/12

Yes... the time nears when Julian shall have to choose... this is most good.

Can't wait for more!

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (Updated 11/2/12)

Chapter VIX: The Flight of the Legions

Julius Athenaes rode hard along the lines like a demented beast. His eyes gleamed with ecstasy at the knowledge that what should have been a simple battle, now took on a far greater importance. Despite been surrounded to the front and rear, Julius now felt utterly confident that victory loomed and he could inflict a crushing defeat upon the Alamanni confederacy. Julius had besieged Chnodomar, only for the Roman to end up caught in a vice as a large band of reinforcements.

He divided his forces, the Brachiati and Cornuti Seniores in one line facing his rear, whilst the intimidating Legio Palatinae spearmen arrayed themselves to the front of the sallying army, who contained some of the finest Alamanne warriors they could muster. Initially, Julius Athanaes felt fear at the entrapment but the discipline of his troops did not allow defeat to enter their minds. They had come to accept Julius Athanaes as their commander and would now do the hard dirty work fof fighting to the bitter end for him.

Hearing Julius' exhortations carrying across the din of battle, they fought with renewed vigour. An unfortunate Alamanne warrior had been dragged, wounded from battle and interrogated by Julius. The man may have been brave but he could not stomach the thought of his injuries exacerbated by the Romans, so he told the Roman that here on this field, was the King and Prince of the Alamanni confederacy. Athanaes had thought that Chnodomarius had taken to the field. Little did he know that he had been killed already. Instead it was a weak and callow 20 year old Hortar, the slain King's son who inherited the throne by birthright.

With this most welcome news, Athanaes spurred himself and his troops onwards.

It was a cry of sheer bewilderment. One of astonishment. Of despair. Unable to comprehend fully what was happening.

'No!'

Julianus watched with a range of mixed emotions as he saw his entire legionary force start peeling off to the right. Not a disordered movement but one that had been pre planned by those involved. The army of Flavius Claudius Julianus, aside from the Caesar himself, had no desire to fight the Franks, who surrounded the army and instead begun a hasty retreat from the field. 'What in the name of the Gods are they doing Maximianus? Come back! Come back NOW!' Julianus called out uselessly, his protestations only serving to agitate his throat. He rode about the place, he yelled and screamed. He implored his men to return to their stations all to no avail. Julianus turned to face Maximianus. 'You knew of this didn't you!' he screamed. Maximianus could only looked helplessly from his horse. He knew of the soldiers discontent but not this. Julianus' rage was becoming too much to handle. Some of the lighter troops milled around confused as the Jovii and the Herculii ran from the field.

They could hear the taunts and cat calls of the Franks, who themselves were as astonished as the Caesar. A mighty Roman army fleeing before the barbarians. It was too good to be true. They attempted to run them down. 'Sound the retreat! Fall back! Fall back!' cried Julianus, realising the futility of the situation. At once, those that remained turned and fled as fast as they could. The Faramanni cavalry quickly gained ground. Whilst light cavalry, they were numerous and their missiles could be deadly at the backs of a retreating army

Avidius, commander of the Invicible Julians, suddenly turned around and ran back towards the enemy. He started bellowing at his men to reface the enemy. His intimidating disposition forced them to reluctantly turn around. Julianus went to rebuke Avidius from putting himself in harms way but he held back. The Faramanni cavalry crashed into the spearmen and suddenly the Romans begun punching fiercely with their spears. Faced with such a bristling defence, the cavalry became weary and frightened and quickly they broke and fled across the field.

Avidius' actions brought the Romans some more time to escape the field, with twelve spearmen losing their lives in the stalling tactic. The retreat continued, through wooded expanses and across muddy terrain from melting snow and finally convinced of their safety, Julianus halted the retreat. The filthy legions collapsed into the ground, horses did likewise, they had retreated well back into Roman territory. There was no sign of any pursuing Franks.

He rode before his men. He wanted to abuse them, disparage their disgraceful flight... 'Where are we fleeing to, my most valiant of men? Do you not know that retreat never leads to safety...instead, it shows the folly of a useless effort! For the glory of the Republic, let us return to our positions and drive the enemy before us. Roman honour is at stake, the reclamation of our territory despoiled by the enemy who disregard all that Rome stands for' All about him, men looked sullen. A few appeared defiant. Several cried out 'Were is our money? We tire of waiting, of been destitute soldiers!' Murmurous of agreement rippled across the gathering. Julianus put his palms outwards in a softening gesture, mindful that their mood could turn sour quickly 'You only need have my word that you shall receive what is rightfully yours. Do you not trust me? Have I ever been deceitful in your presence? When have I ever lied to you or made fabrications. Patience my dear men, the time for reward is nearly at hand and you needn't worry again. In the meantime, I shall see to it you receive some monetary recompense to alleviate you of your immediate concerns from my own estates. I will say it again...patience and you shall have all you need!'

They appeared to be satisfied by his words. However again there was murmuring, which then increased in tempo. A great shuffling could be seen from section of the Jovii and the Herculii. Then a few cried out. 'Hail Augustus! Hail Flavius Claudius Julianus Augustus!' More joined in the chants. 'The Restorer of the Republic!' It was a boisterous din that Julianus had yet to hear in his life and at once he became terrified at the insistence of the troops. He looked back at Maximianus, he looked for Oribasius, who had wisely remained away from the body of troops. Other officers looked on impassively. They attempted to raise him upon shields in the time honoured tradition.

Yet he backed away and called upon the legions to stay their demands, to realise the folly of their acclamation at this stage. 'Do not be so hasty in your proclamation...the difficulties in which we find ourselves is not conducive to proper and rational thought. Faithfully I shall abide by the tasks laid before me by our Emperor in restoring order to the provinces and this I'd ask the same of you. Put aside such thoughts...now return to your duties, ensure that we are ready for encampment for in the morning, decisions shall be made in regards to our next course of action' His tone was neither scornful or dismissive, the Caesar attempting convey no ill feeling towards his own men at their sudden outburst. Grudgingly, the men turned from the meeting and begun what was ordered.

Julianus, shaking from the confrontation, turned at once and ordered his senior Tribunes to follow him. Here they were harangued in an angry fashion over the debacle, before retiring into the company of Oribasius, leaving the brow beaten but seething Tribunes to their own devices.
    Last edited by Justinian Australis; February 11, 2012 at 06:34 AM.
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Constantius better watch out for the great Caesar Julianus....

An interesting twist... for a moment there I thought you had lost an entire army.

Hah, that was just my way of simulating the retreat...I could have just made the whole thing up but thought a real retreat might add a bit of drama.
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (Updated 12/2/12)

Chapter X: Acclamation

Hortar took the field looking every bit a King. He was as physically magnificent as his now dead father. The truth though he was a weakling, an insignificant man who only held the throne due to it been his birthright. He could swing his sword and intimidate enemies with his fierce disposition but he was no more a unifier of men than some peasant from the poorest suburb of Rome suddenly thrust into leadership.

His arrogance lead him to believe otherwise. He strode amongst his men with sheer disdain for the enemy, believing himself to be a famous warrior. The King attacked the bristling wall of spears presented by the Lanciarii and managed to slay a handful himself. He was however preoccupied by an insult; such was the esteem that Mederichus was held, the Alamanni chieftain lead the army into the field. The King knew not how to handle such situations and found himself harbouring a burning vengeance to remove Mederichus.

However, in the midst of battle, such thoughts were rudely interrupted when the Roman cavalry returned . The thunderous pounding of hooves from the iron horsemen of the Empire announced their arrival. He had now found himself facing off with the Brachiati legions when the clibinarii came sweeping past having routed the the relief army. The sheer numbers of the enemy became utterly overwhelming.

The Roman missile troops had crowded in from the right, now the Brachiati and the Cornuti legions from the left. He observed what was clearly the Roman general at work behind the lines, imploring, pleading, exhorting. The King roared in anger and again plunged into the melee. Here he met his end, stabbed repeatedly, blood erupting in fountains from his wounds. To the ground he slipped and died under the stampede of boots. Moments later, as the rest of the Romans arrived to reinforce the spearmen, Mederichus too was slain. Whoever was left when the Alamanni chieftains were killed, saw the futility in remaining and at once fled in terror only to be run down by the Roman cavalry.

In the next few days, as Julius Athanaes resumed the seige works around Chnodomar, word arrived at his camp that would please him and no doubt Julianus when he was properly informed. The very last of the Alamanni warrior elite had been slain, those who may have had any claim to continuing the Alamanni confederacy. The last of the seven Kings who united were dead. Now there was no one will the will or strength to impose upon those remaining and disorder broke out amongst the suvivors who begun to coalesce amongst themselves into their own weak tribal bands, none with any strength to challenge Roman. Thus ended, in one swift stroke, the terror of the barbarian incursions of the upper Rhenus and the lands now ready for the Roman forces to sweep through, drive out the remaining tribes and proclaim it as a new province for Rome.

Julianus sat with Oribasius, having for sometime remained silent, whilst his friend casually rolled dice on a table. Julianus had little enthusiasm for the game, such was the events that caused his deep and sombre mood. Oribasius carefully studied the Roman. 'Have you calmed down yet my friend?' he asked gently. Julianus, head resting on hands, simply looked at the dice table and then idly grabbed at the dice and then sat up and rolled it through his hands. 'I am still shaken by these events. What hot headed and fickle creatures the soldiers can be...I do not know if I shall be able to give them what I promised Orabasius' he said concernedly.

'I do not profess to be an expert on the mind of a soldier, my dear friend. However I believe that they can see that, hence their demanding to raise you upon shields as Augustus. Here with you as Emperor you would be able to satiate their demands, to give them donative they crave. Without meaning to insult their intelligence, they are simple creatures who are more concerned with the now and not the future' he said. Julianus simply let out a sigh. 'That is becoming clear Oribasius. I am no soldier but I can see that life is incredibly tough and unforgiving for a man in battle. It can just as easily end one day, after many close calls...a single sword stroke can cripple them for life and then what, nothing for them.;

'Surely you expected something like this to occur though? You have won many victories against the barbarians, you grow ever more popular with the men and as Caesar you are legitimately next in line to wear the purple'

The Caesar nodded slowly. 'Indeed...but not so quickly! Events are getting away from me!' he said exasperatedly. 'I had it planned, the way it was supposed to unfold but now that has slipped from my grasp' Oribasisu looked at his friend gravely. 'You do know that if they are to acclaim you again, you will not be able to refuse a second time...such an insult it would be to them...they'd probably kill you in anger and install someone else...'

Julianus looked alarmed at what he said but could see the simple truth behind it. There was the small matter as well as a dream he had a few nights ago, in which he was forewarned of events but even he did not share with Oribasius. The dream had shaken him. 'Just be prepared my friend' Oribasius offered. 'Shall we continue this game?' Julianus shook his head. 'No, I have no desire for such simple things. I feel the need to write....anything...' His thoughts were interrupted when he heard a commotion outside. Stern voices, becoming angry. Shouted demands. Hostile responses. Julianus stood up quickly, worried by the exchange. Out his tent he strode to be confronted by a body of men in deep disagreement.

He recognised Decentius, one of Constantius' senior staff and what must have been his retinue, surrounded by a group of ill mannered guards. Decentius demanded to see Julianus, the troops were having none of it. 'At ease men! Stay your weapons' ordered Julianus. He did not wish for this to become any worse. The last thing he needed was one of Constantius' men killed by hot headed soldiers. They looked at Julianus suspiciously but acquiesced to his demands. Julianus asked Decentius to follow him. Inside he dismissed Oribasius.

Decentius was a stern looking fellow, who appeared never to have had an occasion to smile once in his life. He stood rigidly, surrounded by his retinue. Julianus beckoned him to speak. He held out a scroll. The Imperial office insignia was clearly seen. This was no ordinary visit Julianus feared. 'Here I have orders, from the esteemed Augustus Constantius II, that at once you provide the requested men and provisions listed in this document and have them proceed with me at once to render aid in campaign against the Persians' Julianus had observed behind Decentius a shuffling, the flapping of the tent entrances. Oh dear... He looked over the document. The Jovii and Herculii were demanded, along with a vexallation of mounted horsement and one alae of heavy cavalry. In addition, he was to order a cohort of the Brachiati and Cornuti legions to join as well. That would not be taken well.

After a few moments Julianus spoke. 'The esteemed Augustas expects me to campaign with what? Border troops?' Decentius eyes glowered. 'I have my orders and will carry them out. You will do what the Emperor has ordered his subordinate to do' he said in a low growl. 'I mean no offence Tribune but this request severely depletes the Gallic field armies. The barbarians are not yet subjugated'.

'The Emperor believes you to be a resourceful man, you shall find away to manage' he replied indifferently. Then there was suddenly another disturbance outside the tent. It quickly grew angry, more men shouting defiantly, calling on Julianus with urgency. The men have heard... Some forced their way into the tent and started manhandling the visitors. He found himself caught in the melee and the whole body of men shifted outside. A huge band of men had now gathered inside the camp. They were shouting their disapproval at the orders, which had no doubt been twisted and manipulated in the chaos.

Without hesitation, they chanted once more that day...'Hail Flavius Claudius Julianus! Hail Augustus' They shouted with urgency. They reached for the Caesar and forced him upon their shields and raised him high. They cheered wildly. Julianus now had no choice. He accepted their acclamation, though appearing reluctant, saluting the men. One man came forward and offered a diadem of sorts and placed it over Julianus' heads. 'The die had now been cast...I accept your wishes and you shall be handsomely rewarded. Let us unite the Empire, honour the Gods and restore her glory!'

He stood before the men and begun a lengthy speech, explaining the situation at hand and outlined plans that would see the men properly honoured an rewarded for their hard work. The poor, lower class soldiers took great delight at this. Presently he turned to Decentius, unceremoniously bound by the guards and allowed Decentius to leave unharmed. Time now was of the essence and after having satisfied everyone involved, they retired for the rest of the evening to begin the march south, with Julianus now as Emperor. He now had to make Constantius see that his elevation was just and that he must step aside for the good of the Empire.
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Good, good! I have waited too long to see despots deposed, I shall not be denied this twice! Death to Constantius II! Death to all tyrants! Smash him to the other side of the map!

Hail Augustus! nice chapter... The civil war is upon us. To Battle!

Ganbarenippon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Ooooh, I like how down and dirty this has gotten so early in the plot! How this ends should be very interesting.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Quote Originally Posted by Ganbarenippon View Post
    Ooooh, I like how down and dirty this has gotten so early in the plot! How this ends should be very interesting.
    This.

Chapter XI: Disaster Strikes

With the crushing of the confederacy, Julius moves on the settlement of Chonodomar. He divides his forces in two and has the Brachiati and Corunit legions on the left and the Palatinae spearmen taking the centre. Roman archers drive away any enemy infantry from the siege weapons. It does not take long for the rams to splinter the pathetic defences of the barbarians.

Some of the barbarians hold the right gate, who receive a volley of javelins for their obsitancy. Julius allows time for the Lanciarii to form up inside the gate before moving. The Auxilia units charge through after the enemy spearmen fell back, only for them to do an about face and charge into the first cohort through. The Gasinde, the heavy cavalry arm of the barbaric folk join in the fracas.

Quickly the rest of the auxilia troops swarm through and fighting is rather heavy on the right. The wieght of numbers though ensure only a Roman victory is possible. Lusting for blood the Romans chase them through the streets of the settlement.

The remaining Gasinde had fled back to the town square along with another unit of spearmen for a last ditch stand. Here they fight heroically, knowing they are dead men but resolving to take as many as possible with them into the afterlife.

The battle lasts longer than Julius had hoped for but the pressing weight of the heavy infantry wears down the weary defenders. Just two men survive the slaughter. They are taken as prisoners and become slaves of Julius, a living reminder of his success in subduing the Alamanni.

Having for some time remained in charge of a light auxillary force north of the Alps, Flavius Gratianus is sent for to provide garrison duties. However during his brief stay, he so enrages the citizenry, already tired and fearful from the extermination that took place, that they took up arms and drove the detestable Roman from the town. He attempted to force his religious beliefs on simple pagan folk, through violent conversion. Here a captain of the army was put in nominal charge, allowing freedom for the citizenry to do as they wish whilst obeying Roman law.

Any remaining links to the Alamanne occupation was removed, burnt and looted and the town was renamed Vindonissa.

They were tiny in number and mere citizen soldiers, the men usually tasked with fire fighting duties and policing the streets. Four cohorts of the Vigiles Urbani, as well as a unit of archers and a wing of Mauretanian cavalry were all that was afforded for the defence of Russadir. Worse still, years of neglect from previous governors and Duxes had seen the walls crumble and eventually disappear, ending up as foundations for newer buildings.

It was scarcely any surprise to the small population that the Berbers should choose to attack this isolated outpost of the Empire. They skirted past the fortifications, after learning that Vibius had chosen to head east to deal with the attack at Cartenna. Bomeldiqat was no fool. Though in great numbers, even the Roman border troops were more than match for his infantry.

The Berbers advanced slowly and purposefully, deliberatly drawing out the fear and suspense in the Romans. The pitifully numbered Romans attempted to guard the alleyways to the town square as best as they could.

They were hampered though by the Berbers throwing their javelins over the church that they stood next to for divine inspiration in battle. It was not forthcoming. Tens of thousands against several thousand light troops saw that the Berbers would succeed.

To his credit, the Berber general stayed the hands of his troops, merely allowing his men to occupy the city and not damage anything or loot the already poor citizenry.

Greatly alarmed at the loss of an Roman city, the Comes of Hispania, Verenianus decided at once to leave for Mauretania to support Vibius. News had reached him quickly following his victory over the Berbers at Cartenna. He had attacked them decisively and now was ready to march west.

Florentius had thought he had been rather clever going about his deceit. He thought that his couched words in his documents to smooth over the disaster would have placated Julianus, however he was sorely mistaken and he paid a heavy toll. Standing opposite of him was Valentinianus, with a straight face and giving absolutely nothing away. To his right stood Julianus' chief emissary, along with several soldiers to back up his orders with words. Florentius had been stung when his friend, and Constantius' friend, Arintheus, had been unceremoniously stripped of his title as Magister of the Gallic field armies and then forced aboard a ship to govern some God forsaken province in Britania.

He had not however vouched on the rage of the co claimant to the throne, having already left the region on his march south. Julianus had put Florentius in charge of the offensive against the Franks, despite protestations from his staff officers, yet he was soon aware of the folly of his decision. A gigantic Frankish army, numbering some 50,000 attacked his smaller force of auxilia. These Franks were battle hardened veterans, against his relatively green force.

He arranged his men as such; his Scutarii held the right flank, the cataphracts the left, whilst the Mattiaci legions formed a single line, whilst the foot and mounted archers took up front ranks. Initially the battle had gone rather well, with the missile troops causing carnage amongst the Franks and the Scutarii flanking from the right also caused consternation amongst the enemy.

Yet he held his infantry back as the enemy came on in one massive formation, only at the last minute ordering them to lose their own francescas. The Franks, better armoured, took the blows relatively well. It was then their turn.

The effect was utterly devastating. Each cohort lost a quarter of their men in the first volley and this by and large was enough to weaken the Roman morale. The Mattiaci on the left broke as soon as they were attacked by the heriban, with the leones putting up stouter resistance. The wave of numbers though was too great for any sort of heroics. The auxillia palatinae troops employed by Florentius were not of the same quality as the legios. As a result, they were unceremoniously slaughtered by gleeful Franks.

Even the most brave of hearts would have been dispaired to see the famed Cataphracts make a headlong charge for safety, after the heavy Frakish infantry routed them. Chaos reigned supreme. Florentius decided to sound the retreat, belatedly and not after many had been killed. Half the Roman army was dead, though they did manage to inflict heavy losses on the Franks.

Julianus had been angered that he had exposed himself as he had, out in the open, not using the terrain as he should have. He also had a twinge of regret that he had not remained to finish the task at hand, however the Fates had decreed otherwise.

'By order of the Emperor Flavius Claudius Julianus, you Flavius Florentius, are ordered immediately to hand over office as the Prefect of Gallia to Valentinianus and here you shall be subordinate to him. It is his decision as to what he may employ you as, as your disgrace has rendered you incapable of continuing in your capacity as Prefect' the Emissary intoned. At once the insignia was stripped from Florentius without thought to dignity and handed to Valentinianus. Valentinianus was a physically graceful man, strong and powerful and incredibly ambitious as well. Such a short career had already seen two major promotions, largely on the back of his killing of the Alamanni King but his work ethic had not gone unnoticed by Julianus.

Valentinianus smiled at Florentius. 'I do not propose to have you harmed in any way Florentius. Your new task, if you can mange it, shall be to man the border army currently to the East of Augusta Treverorum. Fail in this though and the results may very well not be pleasant. Dismissed soldier' He turned his back on a flustered and spluttering Florentius. Guards stepped forward and escorted him from his presence. Several more were ordered to watch over him in his new role. He took a good look now at the documents sent by Julianus. He had ordered a restructure of the Gallic armies.

Aside from his own promotion, Salutius Secundus, hero of the Alamanni wars, was promoted to Magister Equitum et Pedites Galliam. That, Valentinianus felt, was just reward for a fine soldier. Salutius was to now lead the war against the Franks, with Julius Athanaes recalled from Vindonissa to support the Magister. Valentinianus himself took command of the destitute soldiers from the Frankish disaster and reorganised their ranks. He also called up units elsewhere, namely extra cavalry, as well as several recently recruited infantry cohorts. Julianus also authorised the new Prefect to call upon reinforcements from Britannia, no matter the slippery Magnentius' objections but only as a last resort and that the Gaels were not threatening war (not currently). They were to be returned to the island as soon as they were finished with.

Now, the time for hard fighting was at hand.
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place