Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone actually won (against Hannibal in the first battle)?

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Default Re: Has anyone actually won (against Hannibal in the first battle)?

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    The thing that I'll never undertand is why he did not take Roma?

The other thing about Hannibal I'll never understand is why the Carthaginians let him alone?

He was the Greatest General of human history, and they in fact exiled him!! OK Zama!! OK politics, Ok many were jealous, OK they might hope in a peace with Rome but....losing such a man is really madness!

Here I'm speaking being totally on the Roman side, but the greatness has to be recognized also in the enemy!!
    In the end more great is the enemy more honour you'll recive beating him!
    He wa supposed to be scared/ at sieges.

As someone - I can't remember who, but SOMEONE - said, Hannibal knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it. He was a brilliant general, but he didn't know how to use his victories politically.

edit: according to wikipedia, Maharbal said "Hannibal, you know how to gain a victory, but not how to use one."
    Last edited by Thracian Princess; February 03, 2012 at 09:31 PM.

Default fail

Ok so i was wondering how cool it would be to have Hannibal as one of Rome's generals, so i used the 'add_money' command to get enough to bribe him... which was a little over 100k. lesson learned, DON'T DO IT!!!. it crashed my game probably because it was like WTF now all those things he is suppose to do to you he cant do... ABORT ABORT ABORT... none the less, i now have to restart from scratch because i forgot to safe for 60 turns.....
    #LFMF

also, forgot to actually give a story... I won with the ambushed party... was verrrrryyy long, and was mostly me running away and using guerilla tactic O.o

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Default Re: fail

Quote Originally Posted by him999 View Post
    Ok so i was wondering how cool it would be to have Hannibal as one of Rome's generals, so i used the 'add_money' command to get enough to bribe him... which was a little over 100k. lesson learned, DON'T DO IT!!!. it crashed my game probably because it was like WTF now all those things he is suppose to do to you he cant do... ABORT ABORT ABORT... none the less, i now have to restart from scratch because i forgot to safe for 60 turns.....
    #LFMF
    That crash was well deserved.

Lol i can only bribe spies and stuff like that, i would like to know why can t i bribe family members from other nations. And for this i m not saying that i want to bribe Hannibal let him rot in Armenia as he did back then after loosing at Zarma

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

A silly question: We can't birbe enemy generals, OK! But the AI? Can the AI birbe the player's generals? I do hope not!
    (I tried to birbe Hannibal in my first Roman campaign, after being destroyed: crash! understood!)

Frequently I saw the AI diplomats speaking to my Roman generals, and we all know that AI is trying to birbe them, but until now (3 Roman campaigns) they were not successful!

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Well they used to be able to, not sure I've seen any bribed in a while though.

I suspect it's not that they can't, it's that your own generals are much harder to bribe. I would guess if you have a small army with no specific general in charge, (say some velites and cav only), they may well be easily bribed still.

Yes you're right, but in other Mods like SAJ the risk that AI birbes successfully your generals is more but more frequent!

Here's mine on M/M
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Put my Poly cohorts in one big line, making sure it was longer than their line so I could envelop when needed. Placed one triaii on my left supporting the slingers, another on the far side in case of wild cav. My right flank had my lat cav, 2 equis, 2 camp cav and 1 triaii. AI was not attacking me so I advanced my polys INTO their line to force it so all their inf where against mine. While their inf where engaged I used my cav to try to outnumber theirs whenever I could, and I did fortunately. Meanwhile, numid cav engaged my left most poly cohort, bad idea, those tri I had their just destroyed them with the slingers helping. My far right side I noticed the AI must of shifted to my left as that cohort was engaged with no one, so moved them to engage the enemies left most infantry with my triaii coming up the other side to do a 3 sided assault on that side. My cav did an excellent job with my third triaii at killing all if not most of their cav. With both of their flanks now being enveloped by three sides, my morale was excellent, then the obvious happened. Hannibal died and mass rout ensued... Anyways, one less enemy for Rome!
    Don't forget to rep me if you like something I did/ or not lol

See that green thingy under the Carroburg banner? click it!

Pwning as the Pope on VH/VH Savage AI SS 6.4!
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=430026

Not only He won and killed Hannibal but also he lost only one thousand men against three thousand!!!!!
    Man, you are a Great Roman General!!! and make everything seem so simple!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Not only He won and killed Hannibal but also he lost only one thousand men against three thousand!!!!!
    Man, you are a Great Roman General!!! and make everything seem so simple!!!
    Two words : Guard Mode.... Some may call it a glitch/exploit but if you do that and highlight your men, it says fighting and they lost little to no fatigue actually. Most if not all of my poly cohorts where below fresh by the end of that battle (I'd say it took about 20+ mins for that battle). Altho the fatigue thing makes sense if they fight how I've seen in Rome series. One line fights, then whistle, and they rearrange the line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqzDrFX-cNs
    Don't forget to rep me if you like something I did/ or not lol

See that green thingy under the Carroburg banner? click it!

Pwning as the Pope on VH/VH Savage AI SS 6.4!
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=430026

Quote Originally Posted by Apio Claudio View Post
    Lol i can only bribe spies and stuff like that, i would like to know why can t i bribe family members from other nations. And for this i m not saying that i want to bribe Hannibal let him rot in Armenia as he did back then after loosing at Zarma
    o.o you can't bribe generals? I think you can only bribe certain nations... i have 4 roman generals in my Cimbrii play through =) (that one i own all of France and own up to Roma)

to clarify... I have a a couple bugged generals, one cant move at all... the other can move like 3 steps before it runs out of mp >.>

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

WHEN do people stop asking this?? Most of us won Hannibal on first turn!
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Quote Originally Posted by RabidSheepLegion View Post
    Two words : Guard Mode.... Some may call it a glitch/exploit but if you do that and highlight your men, it says fighting and they lost little to no fatigue actually. Most if not all of my poly cohorts where below fresh by the end of that battle (I'd say it took about 20+ mins for that battle). Altho the fatigue thing makes sense if they fight how I've seen in Rome series. One line fights, then whistle, and they rearrange the line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqzDrFX-cNs
    He also said M/M so yeah, lol.

spy of the council

Anyone anything new to add here? If not, you know what happens....

Madame Guillotine is always busy here! .....but I might have someting to ask before the balade strikes: I fought three Roman campaigns, in the first two I was defeated by Hannibal in the first ambush! In the thrid, I killed him with ease, three or four turns later.

Well here the question: OK in the first battle many of you (I did not!) defeated or were defeated in Hannibal ambush, that is, you found yourselves on the battlemap and AI immediatly attacks you and you cannot deploy!

What happens if you right clic against Hannibal's stack on strategical map? No ambush? Now can you deploy before the battle?

OK! It is a silly question, many will say, but waiting for the new patch I do not think I'll start a new Roman campaign in RSII short, so I have this strange curiosity: but if I attack first? Because if you are able to deploy properly the battale might be very different?

spy of the council

If you do nothing at all, he will move away without attacking. You can add to the stack there, spy him out without a problem, but if you move, he will attack, if you don't, he won't, and if he attacks, he will ambush you.

So there is no way to be first to attack him! Sadly I suspected something similar!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast