Default Senatorial Nominations 199 BC

Post here with your name and office you wanna run for. The offices are:

2 x Consuls.
    1 x Praetor.
    1 x Quaestor.
    1 x Tribune of the Plebeians.

Default Re: Senatorial Nominations 199 BC

Gaius Tiberius Maximinius stands for Quaestor

OOC: surprised no one is running for consul...
    Last edited by Gandalfus; January 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM.

Marcus Calpurnius Bestia will stand to be a Consul of Rome.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Manius Aquillius Tuscus nominates himself for the position of Praetor, he trusts those with a clear vision to vote for his expertise and dedication.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Quintus Flavius Gepai for Tribune of the Plebs.

Aulus Lucinius Caldius for Tribune of the Plebs.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Edited.
    Last edited by CK23; January 28, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Caepio for Quaestor.
    The middle age man stood to address the entire Senate, yet looked soley at the mainly plebeian section of the senate.
    Vote for me to be your next Quaestor and I vow to reduce the deficit that hangs over the good Romans heads. Yes I may have to implement harsh measures, but rest assured those who cannot pay will not. I will ensure MY measures are fair yet still to the benefit of the republic as a whole.

Alas the previous Quaestor has done little to aleviate the problem
    , but I can still recover our economy if you give me your vote. I would like to remind the senate that during my last term of Quaestor I saw the treasury grow by many talents that were not gained as spoils. Alas my opponent cannot claim the same, and lacks the background and skills that I possess, for I worked for the money required to enter these hallowed halls.
    My colleague and opponent has had all this provided from benefits of birth. The senator pauses for breath, I say this with all the respect due to a man of his position.

We are Romans, we have defeated the mighty punics and I shall insure we great men shall not fall to ourselves and coin.... All I require is your vote! Caepio adds the forgotten last line after a second.
    He sits and mutters and your continued support under his breath
    Last edited by Nota'; January 27, 2012 at 05:09 PM.

Good Romans!
    Although I may be a newcomer to the senate, I am a veteran of finances, a skilled warrior of coin.
    When I was younger, I served as an emergency governor of a city in Iberia to keep the peace, and I multiplied its annual output to the Roman treasury tenfold. If you would elect me to the position of quaestor, I could to similar things to the entire republic! Let alone a small city!
    So I say again, Maximinius for Quaestor!

"Maximinius for Quaestor" Quintus echoed.

'As I said before, I put myself forward as candidate for the position of Praetor once again. I have served in this position many times before, most recently the last year. And all those times with great effect. When the crowds where about to overrun the guards at the triumph of our most brilliant general ever, may the gods watch over him, it was my personal intervention that restored order!' He paused for a small moment to breath a few times. 'We can't say that about the other senator who wishes to become Praetor, can we? Therefore I hope all of you will give me your confidence by voting on me, for a better Rome.'
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Caepio eyes Maximinus up and down.
    Ten fold you say, impressive. However merely introducing a tax system to a new province would do that and more. From your youthful looks I doubt you would have been govening a city before the last punic war, and the fact you were emergency govenor also suggests this takes place in the last 18 years. In this time we have gained many new cities and I believe your story must have originated from then. That or perhaps you exploited some new found ore? If neither of my hypothesis are true I am forced to belive you have exagerated your crediential.

Senators, we have no new people to tax, we have no new mines to open. Maximinus' experience here is moot. Of course I intend refine and formalise the tax system in Spain, however this will not be enough, as anyone who has looked at the numbers involved here can attest. I would also like to remind the senate that this is no time or place for exaggeration, in a position where cold hard numbers really matter

Maximinius sighs and gets up from his seat, indicating that he is about to speak:
    You say you will reduce the deficit hanging over Rome, how will you do that, pray tell? Will you tax the population to extinction? Disband our armies so we are next to defenceless? Or will you have the consuls and praetors working in the fields just to rake in the extra coin? Or will it all just go to your own pocket? Apperently you didn't have much luck making money in Hispania from the mines, so how will you fare here, how do we know you are reliable?
    You see Senatores! This man will not help the republic a jot! Whereas financial success comes through grit and determination,Precise calculation and making sure there is no corruption! I did not see any improvement last time you were in office! It may have also helped that we werent in a financial crisis!
    However, I intend to fully use the recourses the republic has at her disposal!Hispania and her mines, Italia and her vineyards, I intend to introduce massive vineyards where slaves will work, to fully exploit the riches that the gods have given our glorious res publica!

Maximinius returns to his seat.
    Last edited by Gandalfus; January 28, 2012 at 07:51 AM.

If I may speak...

Senator Maximinus, may I ask were you would gain these Vineyards? Surely not from the Plebian farmers? Would you rob an honest man of his sole income out of greed, decaying the foundations of our Republic and our army? That is what these massive Vineyards, these "latifundia" would do. If the people elect me Tribune of the Plebs I shall work to protect the interests of small farmers, and block such a motion.

While I must stress my distaste for the idea of demobilisation at a time when Rome is surronded by enemies, we must not forget the ideals the Republic was founded on.

Caepio snorted in derision.
    Yes I may not have matched your '10 fold' success in Iberia, but then again making money is ever so much easier when you have the authority of Rome to your name, investment from the senate and a load of witless Iberians to exploit isn't it. As we've established you of all people cannot talk about 'precise' calculation.

You want to buy up Italian farmland? Pray tell who is selling in this time, where land is the only reliable source of income, or will you simply borrow it from your rich Patrician friends? I have a feeling that they would be unwilling to lend you it. Also the land prices aren't exactly cheap nowadays are they? Now tell me where do you intend to find the money to buy up these large swathes of land if your rich freinds and family will not lend it? The treasury? Oh wait, as you put it so well, we are in a financial crisis! Or are you just going to borrow your way into farming?

And no I shall not 'tax the population to extinction' as you so eloquently said, for I made it clear no one would pay who could not. Make no mistake I am one of the people whereas you would not know a starving man if he begged for food from your own table. Tell me Maximinus have you even witnessed Roman povety? It is a sick and twisted thing and I shall have no part in it. What hurts the people hurts me, which can't be said for you who sits so comfortable in his REGAL mansion.

Alas, I wonder from the point at hand. I intend to increase the tax on luxury goods, things no good Roman needs, those that feel they need it can afford to pay a little more. Lets hope your Persian rug does not get worn dear Maximinus. This includes the tax on slaves sold, again those who need more slaves at this time can afford them, and perhaps it will encourage your Patrian bretherin to hire a few soldiers who have come home to find their farms 'obtained'. Not to worry Maximinus, with the recent influx of slaves they will still be very affordable. Further more I intend to formalise the tax system in Iberia, some of the Tax farmers are being far to liberal and taking more then their fair share. Perhaps you could help me with that area, you must know a few tricks of the trade when it comes to dipping their hand in the states income from your time in Spain. Of course I will continue the esteemed Senator Cotta's course of disbandment, although I fear that avenue cannot be pursued much further before we become overstretched.
    Last edited by Nota'; January 28, 2012 at 10:51 AM.

Maximinius raises an eyebrow.
    I do not intend to rob the plebeians of their livelehoods, I merely intended to use the farmlands and vineyards we already have, invest heavily in them, and build upon land that is used for nothing, as well as my own private estates in the country. As you said Caepio, I am wealthy, but I do see to the needs of the republic and I do not turn a blind eye to the poor and needy. I may be born into a Noble family, but that does not mean I will not serve the Senate AND people of Rome. It would be an insult to my and other peoples intelligence to think that I would be simply allowed to rob the innocent people of Rome of their jobs! and for the matter of money, I do intend to invest of my own and my families money in the state treasury, if the Senate allows it, and I absolutely agree on the tax of luxuries!

And the corruption in Iberia? If you are suggesting that I have digged into the state treasury while in Iberia, why should I? If a man is wealthy to have the things he needs and wants, why should he obtain more wealth? And during my time in Iberia I caught several "Tax farmers" stealing from the state treasury.and Rome does need to have a sterner manner with these men, as they are no better than thieves and brigands!
    The disbandment of troops is something that I thoroughly supported, and to suggest that we raise more men is simply absurd. We should use the soldiers we have to guard our frontiers, and conquer more of our enemies lands. It will give them plunder, and put them to good use!
    And maybe if the military was reformed, there wouldn't be a need to be worry about the latifundia or farmers, and perhaps the poverty stricken people of Rome could have a Job in the army...

Maximinius sits down, signalling that he has finished.
    Last edited by Gandalfus; January 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM.

Right, so your proposition to get Rome out of a financial crisis is to buy slaves for the tiny amount of farmland the state owns. This, senators, is my opponent.
    Caepio waves a hand to his opponent and then too takes a seat, content with having the last word.
    Last edited by Nota'; January 28, 2012 at 02:45 PM.

Maximinius scoffs
    I would like to see your proposal for increasing our farming output...
    OOC:when will the elections actually start?

Quintus watched as a heated discussion broke out between Caepio and Maximinius.

Tullus Cluilius Siculus decides to run for the office of Consul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast