Thread: Sieges

Icon2 Sieges

Hello all,

I love playing this mod. I also love playing sieges. I would like to request better sieges, more interesting ones if that would be possible. I don't know if everyone else would like it as well, so that's why I'm also asking all others what you think about it.

The AI does not build fortresses. Is this intended?
    I feel that taking enemy capitals is to easy, but if there were fortresses it would make it far more interesting. Does anyone else agree?

Civis

Default Re: Sieges

I have to agree with you about sieges, generally in ETW and NTW they're not much to write home about. I feel like DarthMod Napoleon would benefit from following a couple of other mods I've played and revamp sieges along these lines:

Climbing walls is disabled except for dedicated infantry units (sappers, engineers or a forlorn hope) which have high morale, high melee, only one round of ammo and low numbers to try and capture gates or strongpoints prior to an infantry assault. I HATE seeing badly trained militia nimbly springing up my walls on all sides when I have a defending force of foot, guards and artillery which could put up a reasonable fight if the AI was forced to fight me in an historically accurate manner.

Field artillery has little or not effect on fortifications. Instead, it is necessary to build siege artillery of a huge calibre and force a breach with these. Even siege artillery causes only 2-3% damage per salvo to realistically reflect the length of Napoleonic sieges. These guns also hugely limit the movement points of an army to reflect the difficulty of moving an army with its siege train.

These changes make sieges much more difficult for the attacker. Many's the time I've been defending Gibraltar as Britain against a combined Franco-Spanish army which outnumbers me five or more to one and watched waves of infantry destroying themselves against a unit of foot positioned behind the single breach they've been able to create. Realistically, breaches were death traps and notoriously difficult to take if stubbornly defended, and these changes help reflect that

Ya, a little bit of EiC and a little improve from the greatest AI modder from the total war series

Stívarđr Reynitré's Avatar Domesticus

I always crave realism. I have no problem with a siege lasting 2 hours if necessary. I know even that is quick, but there is a balance that must be adhered to for the majority. I always want to "experience" and "immerse" myself within a game rather than "playing" them.

That sounds geeky, but then I'm a proud historical enthusiast and geekiness comes with the territory...

That's makes two of us. Thing is, sieges are almost boring. With the introduction of engineers and siege cannons, it would make the campaign and battle strategies more immersive as you say.

If it takes a two hour battle to capture a capital then so be it! It shouldnt be As easy as it is now.
    Last edited by DuDeNine; January 29, 2012 at 10:09 AM.

Louis XVI's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by esaciar View Post
    I always crave realism. I have no problem with a siege lasting 2 hours if necessary. I know even that is quick, but there is a balance that must be adhered to for the majority. I always want to "experience" and "immerse" myself within a game rather than "playing" them.

That sounds geeky, but then I'm a proud historical enthusiast and geekiness comes with the territory...

Agreed