Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guerrilla Warfare

Default Guerrilla Warfare

Well im pretty new here so bare with me and help a little.....I like to use guerilla warfare on the open field. It works best with the Romans. What I do is hide my archers in a wooden area with the majority of my heavy militia behind them. I rush the enemy with light troop usually light calvary and then run to the spot of ambush. I return my light troop(which are pretty battered) behind all my troops while my archers devour the chasing enemy and finish them off with my mian army.
    Last edited by Akhilles; May 27, 2006 at 01:05 PM.

Default Re: Guerrilla Warfare

Nice tactic but I'm sure it won't work when you're besieged or when you're fighting on a plain. Your tactic doesn't work in about fifty percent of the battles when you're playing with the Romans. There are enough trees in Gaul, Germania and some parts of Iberia and Italia, but it won't work in places like Syria and Africa.
    In patronicum sub Tacticalwithdrawal
    Brother of Rosacrux redux and Polemides

So you like to break up your armies on the field into small groups? I do that sometimes, but they usually end up being really wide flanks with my archers and cavalry hitting the enemy from behind.

I think your sig is to large. MAx sig size is 468 x 100 pixels.

Civitate

Good tactic, although Red Baron is right, it will work on about 50% of battles you fight.
    Also, its not good for on line play. A human player would not send his whole armie after a dew units, he would easily figure out that its a trap... all it takes is for your opponent not to break and chase.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Severous's Avatar Biarchus

I like this tactic as well.

You dont have to hide. You can lure AI enemy units to your waiting forces even if they stand in plain sight on the top of a hill.

Ambush sure can help with the added surprise effect weakening further the enemy morale already tired from chasing your 'bait'.
    Regards
    Severous

Did my part in a Franks BI Succession campaign:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=118689
    Played a Mod called "End of Days" Picture based AAR is here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116509
    From last year. Final turn of vh/vh Egyptian campaign
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54262

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Severous
    I You can lure AI enemy units to your waiting forces even if they stand in plain sight on the top of a hill.
    Not with 1.5 or darth formations you cant!
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

my idea of 'geurilla warfare' is cavalry/cavalry archer (or peltasts..)

half banner cav, half banner archer/pelt.

its brilliant for damaging supplylines (aka small groups of units on their way to joining a big army etc...)

works better as armenia obviously because of cat. archers and cav..so they are much more heavy (infact you could fight open battles with the armenian version)

Hiding horse in any trees is just bonus kind of thing..

When attacking with conventional armies as armenia (id ALWAYS try to have 4 cat. archers and cav with my armies..2 of each tye on each flank) - they draw small groups of units towards your troops, then your cat. cav can annihilate them..

when defending with that kind of army, send those same units wide on the flanks - these cause the same thing - you will either be ignored and able to go right round the back of the enemy and fall on their rear, or you will crush their flanks (hopefully before your centre collapses - armenian troops arent that great) and be able to hit them the same way as above.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    Not with 1.5 or darth formations you cant!
    I do it all the time with V1.5 (vanilla..no mods)

Regards
    Severous

can i ask what the hell are the peasents for, i stopped using paesnets the day after i got rtw

Guerrilla Warfare could work with a sally, draw them to the walls then pelt a unit with all your archers, guerrilla warfare is quite effective but if the ai decides to stay where it is it is useless also the same with humans. the amount of people's lives wasted casue they wait for the other guy to attack
    Si vis pacem, parem bellum
    If you seek peace, prepare for war
    -Publius Renatus

If you fire arrows or stones at an enemy they will soon come after you. If they dont..well you just carry on shooting them.

I use peasant for garrisons. From time to time I include them in rebel bashing. They are better than nothing...but usually they do nothing in the battle. On occasion their sheer numbers will influence enemy morale. They can also hide and cause more morale effects when they emerge. Emerging a unit from hiding can cause disruption to AI plans.
    Regards
    Severous

Final Frontier's Avatar Just roaming around

I use peasant for garrisons. From time to time I include them in rebel bashing. They are better than nothing...but usually they do nothing in the battle. On occasion their sheer numbers will influence enemy morale. They can also hide and cause more morale effects when they emerge. Emerging a unit from hiding can cause disruption to AI plans.
    First off, I'm going to have to agree about the use of peasants in cities as garrisons- they provide a cheap solution to unrest. Next, I'd like to point out how the swarming tactic works to great effect against chariots. Units such as Eastern Infantry make good fodder, and they should be used to absorb the attacks of chariots or other units, so as long as other units can support them. Got elephants? Not a problem, send the swarms in! (And hope that they don't get too frightened before they accomplish the job of scaring the elephants, first )

The only bad thing is that a city full of them won't hold out against an army with decent units, such as a Gallic stack full of Warbands, Swordsmen, and, well, more Warbands. (I see this quite a bit towards the beginning of the game ) Oh, and using peasants isn't an "honorable" way to defend your cities, which is why many mods have removed them from use. Sure, they may not be honorable, but they're pretty useful, no?

Happiness is a warm gun... | "Only a life lived for others is worthwhile." -Albert Einstein
    Bang bang, shoot shoot...19| Under the patronage of therussian
    | "I couldn't resist."

i tried guerilla warfare against carthage not long ago, numidian cavalry draw two large units of punic cavalry away form the marching army, smack, 5 units of cavalry go head long into their flank needless to say they had no cavalry left, still i sent out the numidains out again, drew all their elephants off to the other side of the map, then made them follow striaght into some waiting spears, just goes to show how a computer cant beat a human mind
    also Shaun i was using darth's formation, they broke it up
    -Publius Renatus

NobleNick's Avatar Artifex

You dont have to hide. You can lure AI enemy units to your waiting forces even if they stand in plain sight on the top of a hill.
    Agreed. I don't know about Darth's Formation; but have played RTW 1.5 vanilla, exclusively, so far; and this is an excellent tactic. The enemy *WILL* attack non-hidden units NO MATTER WHERE THEY ARE on the battlefield, *IF* it was the enemy army that initiated the military action on the campaign map. So set up on high ground and make the aggressors climb.

EDIT: By the way, Akhilles, welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by NobleNick; May 30, 2006 at 04:29 PM.

Luring the enemy to you can be discussed at two levels.

- getting a lone, or group of AI units to attack you. Fire something at a unit, or mellee then disengage. One or more units will chase you. Dont get too far ahead otherwise it may break off the chase. Alternate between run and walk to lure the enemy on. I have regulary lured units into visible traps. Firing at troops defending the plaza often triggers them running down streets into your traps.

- having the whole army go on the offensive against you. If the enemy is the aggressor then it will always in my experience come after you on the battlefield. If the enemy is 'defender' yet has the advantage, I think as measured on the battle odds slider, it will attack you. Ive seen this change mid battle as it sufferred losses and went onto the defensive. I dont know if hiding your forces will trick a defensive army into attacking you but I do recall some 'advisor' saying narrow frontage makes your force look smaller so encourages an attack....so maybe looking weak will encourge the AI to attack.
    Regards
    Severous

NobleNick's Avatar Artifex

Ah, I get the point now: getting CHUNKS of the enemy to break off and attack you in a tactically disadvantaged manner out in the open. Hmmm...

The answer is still yes you can. It takes a bit more work, but I've had it happen many times. The most common (for me) is using light cav to lure the general or other heavy cav uphill into the downhill charge of 3 units of my heavy cav. Another is using cav in the backfield to harrass and draw away a large portion of a force that was marching uphill at your main force, leaving a very reduced enemy main force to contact your lines.

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

I use small bands of archers to draw away enemy cavalry units arranged in rows of three's. Unfortunately they pay a heavy price for this diversion tactic and would be an unlikely strategy in reality, as good archers are a valuable component to any army and are difficult to replace quickly. Nevertheless they are good cavalry bait and have the effect of taking away the spearhead of an enemy assault as well as leaving their flanks unprotected. By the time the cavalry have finished slaughtering my archers and realised what is happening, the main body of the enemy lines are on the rout.

Divide and conquer works very well. It can work also without hiding and on open plains:

I always target the cavalry first. I move light cavalry (or archers/skirmishers) towards the enemy flanks, cavalry notices and gives chase, I run back to infantry, infantry tears them up.

With the enemy mobile force destroyed, I would form a wedge formation, when they come to attack me, I would break off half the wedge and move it around, then they are effectively fighting against only half of my army, and with half of the surface area that they have. The AI's flanks would also break off or run around in odd patterns to try to flank me or accomidate my changing formations. Anyway it's gg at this point regardless of what they do be their lines would be broken, there would be holes, odd units going around, trying to flank. The enemy would be entirely divided and it's a simple matter to conquer them. Though if you have cavalry and they don't, it would've been game over regardless.

So this is kind of similar to guerilla tactics... Uh, no it's not. Sorry, but I wrote all that and might just as well as post it.

"True guerilla tactics" isn't possible in RTW anyway, since they're defined by battles fought against the occupied people who blend into the native population.
    Clients: Caius Britannicus, Waitcu, Spurius, BrandonM, and Tsar Stephan.
    http://www.totalwardai.com

Instead of calling them guerrilla tactics, how about hit and run?

hit and run is what i do to rear of the enermy once the lines are engaged, cav goes round back, hit them hard out again, come back same again... and this goes on until they break, then i run them down also i found out Guerrilla Warfare is the saying the best deffense is an offense
    Last edited by guyyug; June 01, 2006 at 11:47 AM.
    -Publius Renatus

Default Guerilla Warfare ???

Ok guys , here's a question ... i wanna raid the Roman Empire and its armies ... what should i do ???
    Should i just take lots of horse archers and devastate them or just take a small army and use tactics !!!
    The horse archer part sounds good . What do ya suggest !!! I am playing as the Parthians
    You give me blood and I shall provide you with freedom .

Subhash Chandra Bose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast