Thread: 54 decapitated Vikings

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Default 54 decapitated Vikings

Watched this today- well some of it, missed start- just thought post link to it here in case interests anyone here

http://natgeotv.com/uk/viking-apocalypse

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Educ...e-25012012.htm

Signature made by Joar

Teutonic's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: 54 decapitated Vikings

Watched it yesterday, I think... I remember how they said how surprising it was that the bodies were vikings and not locals since "the saxons were always the victims", or something like that. It's a bit annoying when in docs they come up with straightforward BS like that.

Anyway, how about a Jomsviking unit in the mod?

I saw a episode of Warriors on Vikings. It said Vikings had throwing axes as a common weapon. They described the weapons and armor in fairly good detail, like spears that were 8 feet long, or Dane 2 handed axes that were 6 feet long. Their style differed from the French throwing axes. Theirs looked more like a typical axe, where the French one looks almost like a throwing star by comparison or a kind of pick. The show described used of the Dane axe for elite warriors, large with good reach but very light despite that. They adapted many kinds of helmet designs as well.

I also saw the 54 Vikings show, it was called Viking Apocalypse I believe. And they were likely Viking mercs from the Danelag period who betrayed a English/Saxon ruler who had hired them. So they might be like the Fardrengi or Lithsmen in the game.
    "It is worth while for those who disdain all human things for money, and who suppose that there is no room either for great honor or virtue, except where wealth is found, to listen to his story."
    - Livy 3.26

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinatus View Post
    I saw a episode of Warriors on Vikings. It said Vikings had throwing axes as a common weapon. They described the weapons and armor in fairly good detail, like spears that were 8 feet long, or Dane 2 handed axes that were 6 feet long. Their style differed from the French throwing axes. Theirs looked more like a typical axe, where the French one looks almost like a throwing star by comparison or a kind of pick. The show described used of the Dane axe for elite warriors, large with good reach but very light despite that. They adapted many kinds of helmet designs as well.

I also saw the 54 Vikings show, it was called Viking Apocalypse I believe. And they were likely Viking mercs from the Danelag period who betrayed a English/Saxon ruler who had hired them. So they might be like the Fardrengi or Lithsmen in the game.
    I have seen that documentary as well, and what they are referring to may be misinterpretations. In several places during the sagas it tells of certain warriors (of exceptional heroism or strength) would become enraged enough to throw their axes like projectiles - but this wasn't a common thing like Javelins or what-not. Although I wouldn't be overly surprised, I recently read that the Spanish still used francisca-style throwing axes up until the advent of feudalism, which would've been somewhere between 1000-1100 ACE. They were the last to do so!

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
    Watched it yesterday, I think... I remember how they said how surprising it was that the bodies were vikings and not locals since "the saxons were always the victims", or something like that. It's a bit annoying when in docs they come up with straightforward BS like that.

Anyway, how about a Jomsviking unit in the mod?
    I think that would be really awesome! Although the Jomsvikingr were mainly aimed towards the east they were certainly around the British Isles.

Jomsvikings are also reported to have raided eastern England in 1009, and made forays into various Scandinavian territories during the early 11th century. Around 1013 the Jomsvikings were campaigning in England on behalf of Sveyn Forkbeard, yet switched sides, maybe in a ruse to get their own Danegeld from the English, while the main Viking invasion force drove Ethelred the Unready to Normandy.
    Last edited by Heathen Storm; January 26, 2012 at 10:40 PM.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

That is why I say, if you chose to add such units that were rare or kind of on the way out use, make it available with a low spawn rate, a low soldier number unit, and maybe even high upkeep. That way, it could be used though sparingly and add to an immersion feel. I figured the same attributes would probably work for throwing axe frank units, or slingers, or maybe even spear throwers. Or they could be adjusted based on relative rarity to reflect this rarity.
    "It is worth while for those who disdain all human things for money, and who suppose that there is no room either for great honor or virtue, except where wealth is found, to listen to his story."
    - Livy 3.26

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinatus View Post
    That is why I say, if you chose to add such units that were rare or kind of on the way out use, make it available with a low spawn rate, a low soldier number unit, and maybe even high upkeep. That way, it could be used though sparingly and add to an immersion feel. I figured the same attributes would probably work for throwing axe frank units, or slingers, or maybe even spear throwers. Or they could be adjusted based on relative rarity to reflect this rarity.
    I certainly think this is reasonable.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    I recently read that the Spanish still used francisca-style throwing axes up until the advent of feudalism, which would've been somewhere between 1000-1100 ACE. They were the last to do so!
    Where did you read that?, it sounds interesting. Even I thought francisca was a not really common weapon in the medieval Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by Berg-i-dum View Post
    Where did you read that?, it sounds interesting. Even I thought francisca was a not really common weapon in the medieval Spain.
    It is due to their Visigothic descent Here is a quote:

Royal knights were equipped in the same manner as their Gothic predecessors — braceplate, kite shield, a long sword (designed to fight from the horse) and as well as the javelins and spears, a francesca-style throwing axe.